Menu

Hurricane Check-In Thread--Come here to tell us you are ok

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are waiting here, the worst of it is supposed to be on Sunday, so it's a wait and see game now. We might have to be evacuated here since we are right on the coast, literally 5 minutes walking distance or less. I am a little scared and saying prayers for everyone affected!:grouphug:

Good morning from Virginia Beach - we are now getting rain and wind but they say our big part in the storm won't be until this evening with 90 mph wind gusts. We are hunkered down and hoping we keep power for awhile.

Thank you, Christina, for the update. Stay safe!

We're leaving our vacation in New England and flying out tonight. Because we had to change our flight to avoid a change of planes right in Irene's path, we now have 4 separate middle seats for our family. I really hope we can change them at the gate or that 2 kind people will switch because my kids are not old enough to sit next to strangers.

ETA rainy at our airport, plane on time. Jetblue agent was able to give us 4seats together in the front row for free, bless him!

Edited by Little Nyssa

We're leaving our vacation in New England and flying out tonight. Because we had to change our flight to avoid a change of planes right in Irene's path, we now have 4 separate middle seats for our family. I really hope we can change them at the gate or that 2 kind people will switch because my kids are not old enough to sit next to strangers.

Give them peanut butter sandwiches and have them call out to each other and to you with their every thought. :D I've always found people to be very nice about moving around for my family. Be sure and tell all airline people as you check in and board.

Everything is eerily calm here--literally the calm before the storm!

I am meeting two dear friends for a few hours this am, doing laundry and going to the bank. Dh canceled church services for tomorrow am, and we expect trees to come down and power to go out.

So far verrrry quiet out.

Stay safe, everyone!

I think we're well prepared. Supplies are accounted for and placed where I can find them. Camping stove is set up in the garage so I can (quel horreur!) make coffee tomorrow if they power's out... and my husband is off to work across the bridge that will be preemptively closed at 4 this afternoon. :glare: (It should be noted that he is always, ALWAYS at work when there is a disaster - not because it's his job, because they always, ALWAYS fall on his shift. For pete's sake.)

Right now, I'm looking for craft ideas to keep us busy.

Be safe, everyone!

I am meeting two dear friends for a few hours this am, doing laundry and going to the bank. Dh canceled church services for tomorrow am, and we expect trees to come down and power to go out.

Stay safe, everyone![/quote

Wow, impressive storm! Has he ever canceled services before?

I'm getting good practice at buttoning up houses! We just all did my dsis's place this morning (in pjs -- her poor neighbors ;) ). With 5 adults, and two sleeping little ones, it took about 1/2 hour. Later, we're moving all the mattresses to the basement and having a big slumber party through the night. Now in Nottingham, PA. Nothing happening here yet.

Yesterday, leaving the southern coast of NJ was easy. Police and DOT workers monitoring every intersection to give us free and clear access out. We may make a whole lot of fun of our state, but they really do know how to organize state/county/local resources well. (I know, I know, with the taxes we pay, they should organize well!)

We're just west of D.C. and are not expecting it to be too bad. The warnings keep downgrading. Currently we are down to 45 percent chance of tropical storm like wind and rain.

I wonder what Irene will do when it hits land. Will it weaken?

I stocked up on everything and am prepared for the power to go out. My camp stove is ready. But.... well, I don't know that I'll need it.

I'm almost disapointed. Almost.

Well they just said it won't be as bad for NYC as it now looks like it will focus more on Nassau county (Long Island). :glare: Which I don't completely get, considering how large the things is. And oh yeah, WE are Nassau county. Oh goodie.

We are way too far in for storm surge flooding, and there aren't any rivers or anything here either. We can get street flooding, but that would be due to debri blocking the storm sewars. Of course there is always the threat of basement flooding which we just had from the huge hail storm a few weeks ago.

Our biggest threat here is 100 year old trees and dead limbs coming down and taking out power lines.

We're staying here because I'd rather be powerless in my own house, than powerless in someone else's.

I think it's supposed to really hit us Sunday morning.

Forced evac for VA coast, the bases particularly. We evac'ed my sister's family Thursday night before the forced evac time. I worry about most of the young airmen though. They are so young. :( Pray for them. Most don't have family close!

We are in SC and far enough away to not be worried unless it doesn't go further North. :)

Stay safe, everyone!

It had just started raining here when you posted that (we must be south of you). So far, it's a little windy and a little rainy... and VERY HUMID. Is it just here that the humidity has been crazy? It was 70 last night, but we had to keep the A/C on, because it was so damp.

No rain yet here. We have everything ready and I took the kids for a walk before the weather gets bad. We are west of DC, so we aren't expecting anything very bad. The only tree we had to worry about came down in the snow over the winter. The only thing we are concerned about is the possibility of losing power for a while.

Stay safe everyone!

Just raining but he power is already flickering. Sigh.

Same here just northeast of Richmond. I expect we'll lose power in the afternoon and grill in the rain for dinner. Next door neighbors have a generator, thank goodness.

Going now to fill up bathtubs for flushing water. The joys of living on a well! :)

Winds are picking up here in Virginia Beach with quite a bit of rain. I was sitting at my desk and saw a power line burst into flames, so now my neighbor is without power. It doesn't take much. We lose power during many run-of-the-mill storms.

So, we're just keeping the house cool, just picked up a bag of ice from the freezer at my mom's to have on hand, and I'm off to shower and hopefully blow-dry my hair before the power goes out.

Irene has weakened quite a bit, but it's a very slow-moving storm with a wide diameter of influence.

Forced evac for VA coast, the bases particularly. We evac'ed my sister's family Thursday night before the forced evac time. I worry about most of the young airmen though. They are so young. :( Pray for them. Most don't have family close!

:sad:

Well they just said it won't be as bad for NYC as it now looks like it will focus more on Nassau county (Long Island). :glare: Which I don't completely get, considering how large the things is.

It's because the eye is expected to make landfall and pass over Long Island. The storm is more intense closer to the eyewall.

We're visiting family in southeastern NC and it's pretty windy here, with big branches down everywhere. Power has flickered a few times, but it's still on, at least in this house. I think the eye passed about 100 miles east of us, so it isn't as bad as expected. Although I freaked out a little to find out this a.m. that we had been under a tornado watch all night - I've lived through hurricanes before, but not a tornado watch!!! :lol:

It has been quite the road trip for us - first, being in DC during the earthquake; then being in the path of Irene, then being on tornado watch. Phew!

I am safe here in the mountains, but my dil and one-week old grandson are right on the coast at Cherry Point (she is Marine Corp). They decided not to evacuate the base. She said that power lines and trees are falling all around as of about an hour ago. The power went off at 4 a.m. She sends me text updates every hour or so. I don't want to call her because she can't charge her phone now.

I am glad her mother is there with her. She is supposed to go home Tuesday - to Long Island. :001_smile:

It had just started raining here when you posted that (we must be south of you). So far, it's a little windy and a little rainy... and VERY HUMID. Is it just here that the humidity has been crazy? It was 70 last night, but we had to keep the A/C on, because it was so damp.

I know! Creepy thick.

It's rather lethargically drizzling here on the Eastern Shore. (oh, wait, I think it stopped... now it's just lethargically dripping) We usually have pretty good wind with rain. This has been weirdly wind-free.

We have had our first hurricane-related emergency: Having discovered that we do not have any double-sided origami paper, I set my children to decorating construction paper to cut birds out of... only to discover we have finger pain and acrylics. :001_huh: My tempra is in our co-op art bin, in the church basement 20 miles away. I think they're adjusting, using glitter to cope, and the crisis has been averted at least for the immediate future.

On a more properly hurricane related note, we were here for Floyd (99) and Isabel (03) and we got, um, rain. There was some flooding at low spots that made leaving the shore a bugger but that just meant I worked from home. I don't think we ever lost power. Floyd had a similar track to Irene, but apparently petered out to tropical storm when it hit the Delmarva peninsula.

Isabel did HUGE damage all over the state, mostly due to flooding, and I remember being shocked since we were... wet. Completely different - almost perpendicular, actually - storm track, but I wonder what this one will have.

Stay safe, everyone!

Hi, Chris and everyone: Our Church had a couple of events going on today that have been cancelled -one event was a potluck supper that dh and I were hosting.

Getting little things out of the way here this a.m. Everything is quiet -- the leaves on the trees aren't even moving - calm before the storm, I guess. We are in Fairfax County -- approx 15 mi north of Chris in Va.

Wishing everyone safety.:)

Same here just northeast of Richmond. I expect we'll lose power in the afternoon and grill in the rain for dinner. Next door neighbors have a generator, thank goodness.

Going now to fill up bathtubs for flushing water. The joys of living on a well! :)

I am also just north east of Richmond. Winds are picking up.

One of my sisters is stationed at Bragg and isn't answering the phone. Is anyone from that area? Has the storm hit there? She's an ER nurse and told me that they're not allowed to leave the hospital this weekend. So, maybe she just can't answer her cell phone right now.

Also, there must be a ton of people reading about the hurricane online, because everytime I try to click on a news link about it, there is a HUGE delay - if the page even comes up.

Chris, thanks so much for posting this thread. It is times like this that one realizes that in spite of our many diverse views, we are a community.

Nan, thanks for bumping. It tells me you are okay.:D Stay safe.

Has anyone heard from Jane in NC?

Colleen in NS - You, my dear, know how to pick a vacation. Stay safe, too.

Wishing all of you and your loved ones a safe weekend. :grouphug:

Ack! I am looking forward to some colorful reporting from you, Mariann. :grouphug:

Lisa -- :grouphug: I've missed you -- gosh, as these kids get older, we really do spend SO much time with school work, don't we?

I am searching right now for the best 'Aw, shoot, a hurricane' smilies that I can find!

Stay tuned!;)