Menu

Child voted out of classroom

Child voted out of classroom

One more reason my child isn't in organized school:

A Port St. Lucie mother says her five-year-old son with special needs was voted out of his classroom by his peers at the behest of the teacher. [...]

"(She) took him and stood him in front of his classmates this week, asked every single child to tell Alex why we don't like him... in his words, tell Alex why we hate him," she explains.

After having each child ridicule the boy, she says the teacher continued belittling him.

"Then they had a vote on if he deserved to stay in the class or not," says Barton.

Like a twisted reality show, Barton says in a 14-2 vote, his classmates voted the five-year-old out of the classroom.

Well. **** me. To think I thought this stuff died with my own 7th grade social studies class.

asta

You know, this just sounds tooo over-the-top to be believable, IMHO.

"Let's all tell Alex why we hate him?" Come on. I just can't see a teacher, even a BAAAAD teacher, doing this, saying this, letting this situation unfold.

There has to be more to the story. But again, that's just my first impression.

"Let's all tell Alex why we hate him?" Come on. I just can't see a teacher, even a BAAAAD teacher, doing this, saying this, letting this situation unfold.

Don't get me started on my elementary school experience. You would be amazed at what some teachers will "allow to unfold".

asta

My sister had the most horrid kindergarten teacher imaginable. I still can't believe that our little town school district kept her and moved her around for *years* from one grade to another, while she continued to torture children at every age, every year. My little, spit-fire sister even had the gumption to stand up for other kids she belittled and got into even more trouble, herself. It was so bad that one time, she and another child "ran away" from school and hid in a wood on the grounds for almost half a school day. If only I had understood then what was happening....

If teachers all over the country can have sex with their middle school students, why would I doubt a story about a K teacher belittling students? The elementary teachers at more than one school in our town lock students into a "time out room", which is really a windowless janitor's closet outfitted with a table and chair. Sometimes they spend most of the day in there.... A friend's son who was finally pulled out of this horrid situation still reports instances of being handcuffed by his aids....

Need for control is a scary thing.....

Only if she is mentally ill. Any teacher would know that that would be her last week at school.

It makes me wonder what support is like for discipline issues at the school. I have worked in schools where support of the teacher's authority to control the classroom was so bad that teachers would quit midyear.

I'm not saying that she doesn't deserve to lose her job if the mom's story is true. I guess I am just wondering if it is true, what was the school administration doing that let things get to that point.

This is disgusting and outrageous, but I'm not surprised.

Some of the practices that they are telling teachers to help with classroom management include a form of what this teacher did. The premise is that you want the other students to pressure the one kid acting out to behave. However, it's never said for the teacher to direct this kind of thing. And, it's normally done at the high school level - where one kid is acting like a jerk and his friends tell him to cool his jets.

I saw a report this morning with the mom on the CBS early show and she said that the teacher didn't think she did anything wrong. Her son had come home and said that everyone listed reasons why they hated him. I just can't believe that a teacher would allow this to go on in her classroom, let alone suggest it! More than anything, I feel bad for the kids, all the kids involved.

You would not believe the things my sister's K teacher said to her. She still recalls them today and she will be 45 this year, so it's 40 years out from the event.... She had *ulcers* by the time the school year was half over.

My mother was a high school teacher and there was only one K class in our little elementary school. She would not pull her; I guess it just wasn't done back then. Or maybe there was some level of professionalism between teachers, or some garbage like that. She went to that schoolroom to have "words" with the teacher many a morning, but it did *nothing*. That woman tortured my sister for an entire year.

She tortured many, many children over the course of many years before the school district finally made her retire.

I can absolutely believe this because I saw a similar thing occur in my own hometown. Hopefully, in today's world, something will certainly be done and this woman will be stopped. In another time, teacher's got away with this for their entire careers.

As critical as I am of public schools, I agree.

Even the article had a "something fishy" and "something's missing" tone.

There's a world of difference between cooperatively having the class share what behaviors make their class/learning time compromised "Bobby, when you touch my hair, I can't do my worksheet" and "Each student tells me why he hates me" (Which, even in the article, are the child's words).

Only if she is mentally ill. Any teacher would know that that would be her last week at school.

It makes me wonder what support is like for discipline issues at the school. I have worked in schools where support of the teacher's authority to control the classroom was so bad that teachers would quit midyear.

I'm not saying that she doesn't deserve to lose her job if the mom's story is true. I guess I am just wondering if it is true, what was the school administration doing that let things get to that point.

YES! My thoughts exactly.

I can see that scenario: He was acting out, so they did the sharing thing mentioned above. But to the boy it sounded like everyone telling him they hated him! I mean, if he has problems already, having all the kids tell him what he's doing wrong doesn't seem the best way to deal with it, though that kind of thing DOES happen (but I don't agree with it!).

But what about the voting him out part? If they really did THAT, then that's TOTALLY wrong, Wrong, WRONG!

This type of behavior from a teacher doesn't surprise me. When I was in 1st grade (over 30 years ago!) I was stripped searched and made to swear on a Bible! It was horrible. I hadn't even done anything, but I was so afraid that I didn't tell my parents until 8th grade!

And people wonder why kids balk at authority figures. They're taught to trust their teachers but the teachers make it clear they cannot be trusted. This is disgusting. I don't care if the kid was highly disruptive. This action is inexcusable. If the teacher couldn't handle it, she should've talked with the parents and the administration. Who knows, maybe she did and the administration failed her. It still doesn't excuse the behavior.

This reminds me of my daughter's first-grade experience in a half-day autism classroom-- the teachers called her "baby" and "crybaby" among other things.

This was supposed to be a teaching strategy. The rationale: To show her what would happen with her peers in a regular classroom.

Never mind that they weren't her peers, they were adults that we (and she) trusted to protect and support her. Never mind that her wonderful regular classroom teacher would NEVER have allowed such behavior from peers, nor would the playground aides and parent volunteers, and never mind that the school had a very clear anti-bullying policy that was strictly enforced.

They let her call home because she was so upset. That was a mistake on their part, one I am profoundly grateful they made. I have never been so livid in my life. And they were surprised at my reaction!

She was out of that classroom within the week. With a full-time assistant in the regular classroom. The classroom was investigated and the teacher left at the end of the year.

I can't imagine a school principal or district allowing or condoning or looking away from that kind of behavior. I find that more disturbing than the actual incident with the child.

Cat

Here's a more detailed article about this case.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2008/may/23/st-lucie-teacher-has-class-vote-whether-5-year-old/?feedback=1#comments

The boy had been identified as needing testing for Asperger's Syndrome, but the testing and final IEP recommendations weren't in place. This puts both parents and teachers in a bad place, because there usually isn't a formal bevavior plan and support system in place until a child has a firm diagnosis. Unfortunately, a school district has months to perform testing and the student and teacher are supposed to muddle through in the meantime.

That doesn't excuse this teacher's behavior and if it had been my son (and it could have been) I would raise at least as much of a storm as this mother has. But I have friends who have spent a whole school year advocating for their child, juggling the testing and IEP process and still having the kid sent to the principal's office every.single.day!

This story reminds me of a friend whose son was taped to his chair this year because he wouldn't (couldn't?) sit still. He was and is being tested and treated for several disorders. And this happened with the mom working at the school, and stopping in to check on him as often as she could! Thankfully, this particular teacher was asked to resign, and she did. What a mess!

It's not in the articles, but I had heard that the child was being tested for Autism or Asperger's...If that is the case, it makes it even worse. Making fun of a disability sort of.

This one is bothering me. I read in the first couple articles that he was undergoing testing for autism "or other disorders" . At five I'm going to assume if he has it it's not on a severe level of autism if he's just now being tested.

This, I might add, is nothing on the teacher, who behaved atrociously. However, the reports I have read the last day have changed the wording. All of a sudden the headlines read "Boy with Autism Voted Out". Do a yahoo or google news search and you'll see the discrepancies.

He doesn't have anything diagnosed. You have to admit, truth would be nice to have. I would want the teacher's head on a platter either way but there is a difference between a child who honestly does suffer from Autism and one with behavior problems from poor discipline but parents will sometimes just give a diagnosis to a brat. I'd like to know what it is before assuming it's worse because he's disabled in some ways. Over diagnosing to account for rotten behavior from discipline or even just a bad match for formal schooling at that age is a bad idea and can cheapen the label of autism or any number of other issues for those who have children who really do suffer.

Media manipulation of facts bothers me on any end.

According to the link Tammy provided this morning, the mother HAS received the diagnosis of autism from the psychiatrist doing the evaluation -- but just received that yesterday. News articles PRIOR to Tuesday that claimed he DID have a form autism were incorrect (as the mom was still awaiting the results of his evaluations), but subsequent articles on it WOULD be correct in saying that he is autistic.

I have been puzzled about the comments as to whether or not the boy had autism or not, had been officially diagnosed or not....... Does it really matter? Should ANY child, especially one as young as five, be subjected to this kind of treatment by an adult. I find what this teacher did to be both disgusting and appalling. One of my boys is nearly the same age as this child, and I can't help but to think of him in this situation.

Krista

I have been puzzled about the comments as to whether or not the boy had autism or not, had been officially diagnosed or not....... Does it really matter? Should ANY child, especially one as young as five, be subjected to this kind of treatment by an adult. I find what this teacher did to be both disgusting and appalling. One of my boys is nearly the same age as this child, and I can't help but to think of him in this situation.

Krista

I agree. Yet now that he *has* been officially diagnosed, I hope this case opens some discussion on whether inclusion is really appropriate or realistic. What this teacher did was appalling, but at the same time she may have simply snapped. It's unfair to expect anyone with no special training to manage 30 kids, some of whom are poorly parented, one or two of whom have been diagnosed with true disabilities (or need to be), a handful of very bright or even gifted children, and high stakes tests looming. The whole thing is a fiasco, but the system itself deserves a high level of culpability.

Barb

Krista

Well, no, it doesn't matter and I think most comments, including mine, made that clear. It was a separate issue regarding media reporting is all.

Krista

These were my thoughts exactly. I would be up in arms if my (excuse me, but it's true) spoiled brat, disrespectful, unruly (did I mention brat) nephew was made to endure this. I would, however, applaud if they were able to find a humane disciplinary plan to make me want to invite him over.

NO CHILD should be put through this or asked/made to participate in an activity such as this. This was a kindergarten stoning.