Menu

Our cat Gizmo

giz.jpg

She was missing for 2 days and we found her today- dead in front of house. The kids found her which makes this all even harder. Yesterday, we walked up and down the block looking for her. I honestly thought if she was dead on our street-let alone in our yard, we would have seen her yesterday, so I didn't think twice about letting them look around the front yard. Well sure enough, she was RIGHT IN FRONT of our house. It would have been impossible to miss her if she was there yesterday. By the look (and smell) of her body she has been dead for more than a day. How the heck did she get there?!?!!!! Our street is not busy so I never thought she'd get run over here, but she didn't look like she got ran over either. I'm sad at losing her- and even more confused at how/why this happened.

Perhaps someone caught on you were looking for a cat, and found her body, so dropped it off in case it was yours (weird, but possible -- how does one knock on a door and ask, "Is this your dead cat I just found?").

That's what my dh thinks, but how does someone take a dead animal and just leave it in front of a house that obviously has children that play outside?! (our front yard looks like a playground-bikes, balls, tire swing etc.)

The landscapers for the place across the street were here this morning- dh thinks they found her and left her in our yard so they didn't have to dispose of her, not realizing that she was ours.

What a beautiful cat! I'm so sorry for your loss. We're a cat family, too, and have lost 3 over the years. It's always tough.

I don't know how she would have gotten back to your driveway unless someone saw her and put her there. One thought about how she might have died--heart attack? Or she could have been run over at a slow speed and had extensive internal injury. That happened to one of ours when she ran behind the car as I was backing out of the garage. :(

Edited by Cinder
wasn't finished typing

Sorry for your loss, what a beautiful cat.

Maybe she dragged herself home after some injury? I had that happen with my dear lab. Maybe there is some peace in knowing rather than always wondering. :grouphug:

One of ours cats managed to drag herself home when she was hit by a car, had massive injuries and luckily survived so it is possible that your cat managed to get there itself but the trauma caught up with it when it got home.

Sorry for your loss.:grouphug:

When I was a kid, we had a cat that adopted us. We had heard from a neighbor that she was hit by a car, but took off running. We searched all over for her that day, but couldn't find her anywhere. The next morning we found her dead by our back door. We figured she dragged herself to our house to die at "home".