Menu

Here are ten reasons for you to put the sarcasm aside.

1. First, the practical: sarcasm is ambiguous. A sarcastic message depends heavily on tone of voice, body language and other nonverbal cues to be properly understood. The true meaning of a sarcastic message is easily lost over the phone–and you can forget about sarcastic comments being properly understood in written communication. Sarcasm often goes unnoticed without the change in inflection or raised eyebrow to signal its presence. And if you miss those cues, sarcastic remarks don’t make any sense.
  2. Sarcasm translates poorly. E SL teachers are taught to never use sarcasm: it’s just not understood by their students.
  3. Sarcasm is a defense mechanism. It’s not a very good one, because of the inherent negative nature of sarcasm. If you need a positive defense mechanism, make it laughter. (Just make sure it’s friendly laughter.)
  4. Sarcasm is cynical. Do you want to be known as a person who is “scornfully and habitually negative”? That’s the dictionary definition of a cynic. Sarcasm is both a product and reinforcer of negative thinking. Find some happier thoughts. Don’t wallow in negativity.
  5. Sarcasm is negative by its very nature. There’s a reason the saying goes “accentuate the positive.” Nothing good comes from sarcasm.
  6. Sarcasm is mean and can be used as a veil for truly hurtful criticism. The element of humor takes the edge off a bit, but it’s still mean. Don’t be a bully; drop the sarcasm.
  7. Sarcasm is for cowards. The touch of humor in sarcastic comments can hide criticisms far too aggressive to be spoken plainly. If you can’t bring yourself to directly say what you really mean, you shouldn’t say it at all.
  8. Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, says Oscar Wilde. It’s not funny; it doesn’t make you seem witty. Take Emily Post’s advice instead: “As a possession for either man or woman, a ready smile is more valuable in life than a ready wit.”
  9. Sarcasm is a means of judging others. Do you really need to belittle others to make yourself look better? Don’t be the jerk with the superiority complex. Use kind words instead.
  10. Sarcasm wastes words that could be put to better use. Kind words are the best thing we can give another person. Sarcasm trades kindness for cruelty. It serves no higher purpose; it builds no one up. Silence is far preferable to sarcasm, but kind words are better still.

Too many sarcastic people in my life.

ETA: A member here was kind enough to point out I accidentally forgot to credit the author of this passage. It is from the Modern Ms. Darcy blog (which I love) http://modernmrsdarcy.com/2011/03/you-can-kick-the-sarcastic-habit/

Edited by cdrumm4448

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, you're right. And generally I try to avoid sarcasm because I know it can be hurtful. Today I'm feeling flustered over some things at home, and allowed myself to be drawn into it. I appreciate the kick in the pants. Truly and sincerely, thank you.

I wasn't trying to tell anyone anything here. I was talking about my real life.

Am I tired of sarcasm? Oh yes, definitely. Wait, I said that sarcastically, so the real answer is no.

In all seriousness, I never use it on my children. I know they wouldn't get it and I know it could cause hurt feelings. I have a friend who often used it on her 2-3 year old and I can see him growing up and turning very bitter with low self esteem, all because his mother seemingly insults him.

And I don't use it as a way to insult my husband (or anyone). He grew up with that kind of humor. I had to put up with him taking it from his parents after we were married. A few months ago I asked him to ask his mom when he outgrew his lisp and she said, "You're speech impediment? You still have it." Har, har, har :glare: no. That kind of thing doesn't fly here.

That being said, I did say something last night that I thought was Hi. Lar. Ious. And for the life of me I can't remember what it was. Something about laundry I think. Anyway, he was like, "Wow that was pretty snarky." Yup, it happens sometimes.

Now I'm wondering if your post was genuine or sarcastic. Oh curses on you internet and your inability to convey tone!

Oh you are being genuine. I thought you were talking about the other post too.

If sarcasm is used to insult, belittle, or hurt someone, then yes, I agree with everything you've said. Like I said, I had to deal with my inlaws dishing it out to my husband quite a bit and they think it's funny. :glare: Totally agree with you on being the lowest form of "humor" (and the "" because they are the only ones who think they're funny) and everything else.

I think it can have its place and for the life of me wish I could remember what it was because it was so funny. I know, laundry? Funny? Once in a lifetime moment.

:iagree:

Depending on how it is used, I find it can be very funny.

And I taught ESL for years! :D

Dawn

If sarcasm is used to insult, belittle, or hurt someone, then yes, I agree with everything you've said. Like I said, I had to deal with my inlaws dishing it out to my husband quite a bit and they think it's funny. :glare: Totally agree with you on being the lowest form of "humor" (and the "" because they are the only ones who think they're funny) and everything else.

I think it can have its place and for the life of me wish I could remember what it was because it was so funny. I know, laundry? Funny? Once in a lifetime moment.

Well said. :001_smile:

Not if it means I have to give up Jon Stewart!

But I don't enjoy 'humor' when it's cruel for no reason. Direct and cutting personal remarks are not kind. "So did you make any of this party food! I hope you called the caterers because we know you can't cook! Ha! Ha!" I have a relative in my life who thinks he is very funny saying such things.

But I don't enjoy 'humor' when it's cruel for no reason. Direct and cutting personal remarks are not kind. "So did you make any of this party food! I hope you called the caterers because we know you can't cook! Ha! Ha!" I have a relative in my life who thinks he is very funny saying such things.

:iagree:Especially to Jon.

I think its very subjective.

I have a dry sense of humour, and yes, I'm sarcastic.

Wolf and I tease each other and kibbitz all the time. We're not mean or anything, but its our currency. We laugh a lot. If that were to stop, he'd be worried about what's wrong.

It all depends on the individuals involved.

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, says Oscar Wilde. It’s not funny; it doesn’t make you seem witty. Take Emily Post’s advice instead: “As a possession for either man or woman, a ready smile is more valuable in life than a ready wit.â€

I suppose the "What's the deal with..." thread was meant to be sarcastic, but I took it at face value. I read so many sincere posts like this on this board. Oops, I was duped. :confused: I just don't find the post funny. Logging off. I know I have better things to do with my time.

You are aware, of course, that Wilde was famous for his sarcasm. A particular favourite of mine:

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.

I laughed my butt off on the Oscar Wilde quote. Thanks so much for pointing that out, Audrey!!!

Wow. Talk about not knowing who you are QUOTING. :lol:

Edited by Jennifer3141

:iagree:Especially to Jon.

:iagree: I could not give up Jon. No way.

Nope. I love sarcasm. For real, not said sarcastically :D

I do too, especially when it's done well.

You are aware, of course, that Wilde was famous for his sarcasm. A particular favourite of mine:

Quite famous for it.

The Delicious Sarcasm of Oscar Wilde

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, says Oscar Wilde. It’s not funny; it doesn’t make you seem witty. Take Emily Post’s advice instead: “As a possession for either man or woman, a ready smile is more valuable in life than a ready wit.â€

I suppose the "What's the deal with..." thread was meant to be sarcastic, but I took it at face value. I read so many sincere posts like this on this board. Oops, I was duped. :confused: I just don't find the post funny. Logging off. I know I have better things to do with my time.

I'm sorry it made you feel this way. I think its healthy to be able to laugh at yourself. I was making fun of myself in that thread. It can be good for the soul.

Another Wilde quote I love:

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

Meggie, you slay me (nonsarcastic comment, FYI)!

I have one teen child who has turned sarcasm into an art form. On level with the finest pun. And we enjoy some delightful sarcastic exchanges. I wouldn't give that up, because we fully understand one another.

HOWEVER, we circulate among people who would misinterpret 90% of such banter. So we've had conversations about proper time and place. But isn't it true that we should use discretion in all areas of our speech and conduct? That, I think is the crux of the matter. I don't mean censorship, merely good judgement.

Am I tired of sarcasm? Oh yes, definitely. Wait, I said that sarcastically, so the real answer is no.

In all seriousness, I never use it on my children. I know they wouldn't get it and I know it could cause hurt feelings. I have a friend who often used it on her 2-3 year old and I can see him growing up and turning very bitter with low self esteem, all because his mother seemingly insults him.

And I don't use it as a way to insult my husband (or anyone). He grew up with that kind of humor. I had to put up with him taking it from his parents after we were married. A few months ago I asked him to ask his mom when he outgrew his lisp and she said, "You're speech impediment? You still have it." Har, har, har :glare: no. That kind of thing doesn't fly here.

That being said, I did say something last night that I thought was Hi. Lar. Ious. And for the life of me I can't remember what it was. Something about laundry I think. Anyway, he was like, "Wow that was pretty snarky." Yup, it happens sometimes.

Now I'm wondering if your post was genuine or sarcastic. Oh curses on you internet and your inability to convey tone!

Here are ten reasons for you to put the sarcasm aside.

1. First, the practical: sarcasm is ambiguous. A sarcastic message depends heavily on tone of voice, body language and other nonverbal cues to be properly understood. The true meaning of a sarcastic message is easily lost over the phone–and you can forget about sarcastic comments being properly understood in written communication. Sarcasm often goes unnoticed without the change in inflection or raised eyebrow to signal its presence. And if you miss those cues, sarcastic remarks don’t make any sense.

2. Sarcasm translates poorly. E SL teachers are taught to never use sarcasm: it’s just not understood by their students.

3. Sarcasm is a defense mechanism. It’s not a very good one, because of the inherent negative nature of sarcasm. If you need a positive defense mechanism, make it laughter. (Just make sure it’s friendly laughter.)

4. Sarcasm is cynical. Do you want to be known as a person who is “scornfully and habitually negative� That’s the dictionary definition of a cynic. Sarcasm is both a product and reinforcer of negative thinking. Find some happier thoughts. Don’t wallow in negativity.

5. Sarcasm is negative by its very nature. There’s a reason the saying goes “accentuate the positive.†Nothing good comes from sarcasm.

6. Sarcasm is mean and can be used as a veil for truly hurtful criticism. The element of humor takes the edge off a bit, but it’s still mean. Don’t be a bully; drop the sarcasm.

7. Sarcasm is for cowards. The touch of humor in sarcastic comments can hide criticisms far too aggressive to be spoken plainly. If you can’t bring yourself to directly say what you really mean, you shouldn’t say it at all.

8. Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, says Oscar Wilde. It’s not funny; it doesn’t make you seem witty. Take Emily Post’s advice instead: “As a possession for either man or woman, a ready smile is more valuable in life than a ready wit.â€

9. Sarcasm is a means of judging others. Do you really need to belittle others to make yourself look better? Don’t be the jerk with the superiority complex. Use kind words instead.

10. Sarcasm wastes words that could be put to better use. Kind words are the best thing we can give another person. Sarcasm trades kindness for cruelty. It serves no higher purpose; it builds no one up. Silence is far preferable to sarcasm, but kind words are better still.

Too many sarcastic people in my life.

Great list. I can't wait to show it to my mom. She pointed out to me years ago that sarcasm is a family trait she passed on to us that she regrets and she began taking steps to purge it from her life. I in turn began to notice how much I used it and decided she was right and I've been working since then to NOT be saracastic.

I believe it still has a place as humor, but it should NEVER be used to hurt anyone.

One side note....I believe sarcasm and wit to be different things.

I don't think one should ever be cruel or mean or "tear flesh" with their words.

I think, though, that its telling to see just how often it happens & nobody condemns it at the time.

I've been guilty of it myself, of course.

Sarcasm can be used as described in the OP but it can also be self-depricating. Everything (well, almost everything) in moderation IMO.

Ooo, I remember one. Different night and not about laundry BUT: DH went up to Salt Lake to watch his friends' film shoot. He was late, story of my life. So I told him he better be bringing me home some Chipotle. He said he was going to the nerd store up there. Since it was nerd poker night, he thought he could get some good trades. Knowing his inability to tell the passage of time, I told him he better not take so long that Chipotle closed before he could get there. *moan, moan, moan, groan, groan, groan, whine, whine, whine* "I don't know when it closes or where it is." My response: Aww too bad no one's invented a phone that can check the internet using a super huge touchscreen. Oh wait, they have. Use yours. If you return without a Chipotle, you're sleeping on the couch." I thought it was funny. Not as funny as the non-remembered laundry one, but *snap snap snap* I got him (and not in a mean way)

I also enjoy a variation of the quote from the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory movie. Wonka says, "My dear boy, if God wanted us to walk, he wouldn't have invented roller skates." I apply it whenever I can.

OP, if someone were dishing it out to me and it was hurting my feelings, I'd be dishing it back to them in an equally hurtful way (I'm not very good at that whole turn the other cheek thing). If you don't want to do that, you could always give them the Hairy-Eyeball. Or just tell them to shut up. :001_huh:

Not real names:

One day at a party my friend Tammy was holding the new baby of my friend Jane. Jane told Tammy, "careful, that is how I got pregnant!" Without missing a beat I turned to dh and said, "you LIED!!"

It was sarcastic and funny. It wasn't mean or cynical.

LOL. Yes that is funny. I call that witty.

But without sarcasm (and its cousin, irony), how would the British communicate?

Sarcasm and irony are what fuel the Commonwealth. :D

Sarcasm is a device. It can be overused. But so can directness, sympathy, indifference, honesty and pretty much every other device we use in communication.

I was surprised to see this on the forum today. I'm so glad you liked the blog post I wrote about sarcasm that appeared on my blog back in March. Here's the link to the original source:

http://modernmrsdarcy.com/2011/03/you-can-kick-the-sarcastic-habit/

And about Wilde: he was definitely sarcastic. But he really excelled at irony.

So, I just want to know, because I'm very curious like that, but: does tongue-in-cheek count as sarcasm?

I LOVE a good natured sarcastic dialogue!!!! ;) I acually have more issue with people who stick their feet in their mouth and then get offended when someone uses sarcasim to point that out.

If you walked into it, admit it.

Now, see, I think sarcasm to point it out is much gentler than publicly offering them a 4x6 to pry open their mouth or directly calling them out on it.

But apparently I'm morally inferior that way.

I was surprised to see this on the forum today. I'm so glad you liked the blog post I wrote about sarcasm that appeared on my blog back in March. Here's the link to the original source:

I love you. Please stay :D

Sooooo you wrote the top ten list in the OP?

I just copied and pasted it to my mom. Do I need to cite your blog?

Now, see, I think sarcasm to point it out is much gentler than publicly offering them a 4x6 to pry open their mouth or directly calling them out on it.

:iagree:

And it can be good for funny venting, if not done in a mean way. If sarcasm is mean and uncalled for (e.g. I think grubbing a horrible person with power with sarcasm a useful political tool -- if I can get a sheeple crowd to have the courage to LAUGH at the local bully, I think it can improve the situation), it is done poorly. Any verbal tool can be done well or poorly. So, DOWN with POORLY done sarcasm.

I guess I'm not really sure what you mean by "sarcasm". I don't like when people make jokes at another person's expense. I don't like when people are insensitive to another's feelings and then act like they are whimps not to take their "joke". I really don't like when those kind of people are totally fragile when someone disagrees with them.

However, sarcasm when used in a tongue-in-cheek, self-depricating way, can be really funny and liven the mood. Like the whole thread (that I'm guessing started this) about not understanding why people don't agree with her brilliance. This isn't a put-down to others. At least I don't see it that way, it is a funny, back-door way of admitting a truth. We all, deep inside, feel like our opinions are the best ones. I mean, after all, if we didn't - we'd change them. I think it was a humorous way to laugh at ourselves. To laugh at how highly we sometimes catch ourselves feeling about our opinions. If it was that thread that spurred this one, why was that one insulting and the "lowest form of wit"???? It just seemed like silly, good-natured fun to me.

I don't understand. Is that what you call sarcasm? Or are you limiting the definition to those snarky comments people use to put down another and then say "I'm just joking!"

Maybe I see it like Scarlett. There is a difference in wit and sarcasm, if that is the case. I love to be ironic. I love to use humor to laugh at myself. I love to take an honest look at myself and admit my crazy inconsistencies, and then make a joke about it.

Could you please define what you mean by sarcasm?