Menu

tempurpedic bed...who owns one....do you like it??

If you mean the memory foam ones we have had one about a week now.

It's the first honest sleep I've had in years.

Waking up is super cool, I just lay there and giggle I feel so good and truly refreshed.

Every night is a vacation.

"So this is what normal feels like..cool!"

If you mean the memory foam ones we have had one about a week now.

It's the first honest sleep I've had in years.

Waking up is super cool, I just lay there and giggle I feel so good and truly refreshed.

Every night is a vacation.

"So this is what normal feels like..cool!"

:iagree: I LOVE it! I use to wake up about every hour, and had horrible insomnia. Now I wake up refreshed with a good night's sleep!

We've had ours for about eight years and will never have anything else.

No complaints in the tea dept!

I have heard some people complain about them being warmer than other beds because they hold in your body heat. I am personally always cold, so I've never noticed the heat factor.

I love mine!

I love ours so much I feel like I should write a sonnet about it or something. I was waking up with back pain nearly every day for at least a year. I don't anymore. When my DH moves around at night, the whole bed doesn't shake like our regular mattress did. I'm hot most of the time, so I was concerned about the heat factor. It hasn't been an issue at all. We have the actual Tempurpedic brand.

I don't like the pillows. For some reason, I find them really uncomfortable and have kept our down pillows instead. But wow, I love our mattress.

I think I would really LOVE this bed, but I don't know. Is there anyone here who owns one...and what is your opinion? I really want to hear the pros and cons. thanks.

LOVE IT. We miss it whenever we're gone, and are delighted to be back. We also had a Costco memory foam mattress, but we prefer this one.

:bigear: Just listening in... but I am a tummy sleeper, any others? Does it do okay for you?

We have a different brand of memory foam mattress and I wonder if they are really different? I can sleep fine on my stomach with what we have now, but it has changed over the years and isn't as good as it once was. I know Temperpedic has a lot different choices in their models.

:bigear: Just listening in... but I am a tummy sleeper, any others? Does it do okay for you?

We have a different brand of memory foam mattress and I wonder if they are really different? I can sleep fine on my stomach with what we have now, but it has changed over the years and isn't as good as it once was. I know Temperpedic has a lot different choices in their models.

Before having children, I slept entirely on my stomach. For whatever reason, that now causes pain in my lower back. Now I sleep about 3/4 of the way on my stomach with a pillow wedged underneath, so sort of side/stomach? I hope that makes sense. Anyway, before the Tempurpedic, I had to sleep completely on my side or back, and I still woke up with back pain. Now I can sleep on my side/stomach again in total comfort. It makes me so happy.

I don't have one, but a friend does. She says it makes TEA really difficult.:glare: She also says sleeping on her tummy is nigh onto impossible.

About TeA, you adapt! ;)

About tummy sleeping, you get a flatter pillow.

We LOVE LOVE LOVE our Tempurpedic! Best $2,500 we ever spent!

Y'all are going to think I'm cheap, but we just got a memory foam mattress from amazon. We LOVE it. Dh is a hot sleeper but this doesn't seem hot at all. Ours is quite firm so tea is fine. I think the brand is Sleep Innovations. We got the 10in one based on the reviews for firmness. I can't think of a single way an actual brand name Tempurpedic would be better. We've had it almost a month abc have never slept better, but I don't know about longevity yet. But at $ 450 we figured we could afford a new one every two years for what a Tempurpedic would cost. Check it out. Tons of reviews to read at amazon.

we have one, we got the Dormia which was cheaper

but we have liked it.

I agree, best sleep, I don't feel like I toss and turn

I was a tummy only sleeper, but honestly I can sleep on my back with this bed and feel rested.

But I can sleep on my tummy too, no problems at all.

I didn't have much issue with the warm feeling until I got on thyroid meds. I can be a bit warm but it isn't uncomfortable, I do notice now the warmth though.

Y'all are going to think I'm cheap, but we just got a memory foam mattress from amazon. We LOVE it. Dh is a hot sleeper but this doesn't seem hot at all. Ours is quite firm so tea is fine. I think the brand is Sleep Innovations. We got the 10in one based on the reviews for firmness. I can't think of a single way an actual brand name Tempurpedic would be better. We've had it almost a month abc have never slept better, but I don't know about longevity yet. But at $ 450 we figured we could afford a new one every two years for what a Tempurpedic would cost. Check it out. Tons of reviews to read at amazon.

EEK Check out the Dormia, much cheaper

Thanks for posting aobut the Sleep Innovations mattress. We need a new bed and are considering this brand; the price is much more feasible than the Tempurpedic!

Anybody else have a non-Tempurpedic memory foam mattress?

We have had our Tempurpedic for 10+ years. My neck pain, and husbands back pain, was completely gone after just 2 nights. The only complaint I have is that it has ruined our ability to sleep away from home. ;) My concern about the cheaper versions (like sleep innovations) are that the 10" of mattress have only 3" of memory foam. I wonder how that other 7" will hold up over time? My Tempurpedic is still great after a decade, and supposed to stay that way for 20+ years. IMO, if you have the money, buy the best. Like cookware, you'll never regret it.

Edited by Geo

my 2 cents :) I loved the idea of a tempurpedic bed, I forget the model, but they are dreamy! So, my bright idea (about 6 years ago) was to buy a knockoff and save $$. Well, it was hard as a rock and we had to get a pillow topper cover to make it bearable. Finances have not allowed us to upgrade, it is reasonably comfortable. So my advice is to make sure you get the real thing! Brand name or bust in this case (an I'm all for the store brand with most things) lol. :)

We've had the Temper-Cloud for almost a year now. Best money we've ever spent. It's not magic - I still wake up through the night but it's not because I'm uncomfortable. I don't feel like I have to toss and turn because I ache and I never have that, "ow, I'm getting old" feeling when my feet hit the floor.

I think I notice the heat factor somewhat but we just use lighter blankets. Not a big deal and it's nice in the winter.

As far as TeA, little strange at first but makes no difference now.

I don't see us ever buying any other brand. We will be replacing our kids mattresses with Temper-pedic gradually. Everyone in the house loves our bed!

We paid big bucks for our Tempurpedic and within three years had to replace it. What a disaster.

It was very comfortable in the beginning, and we were happy with it, for about two years.

However, just like every other mattress we've had, it develops troughs. You could sleep in the very middle of the bed, and it would be firmer and higher than the rest of the bed. Only difference was that these troughs cost us and arm and a leg.

Dh ruined his side of the bed using a heating pad in it, so, for goodness sake, if you buy one, don't use a heating pad in it. Apparently it damages the foam. We turned the bed around (traded sides) because I can sleep anywhere, but my side of the bed was also "troughing," just not as badly as his--I had not used a heating pad, and I'm normal sized for a tall woman, in the low 150s, so it's not that I wore the silly thing out.

You aren't supposed to sleep on the bottom of the bed (flip it over), but we took the memory foam off the top, flipped the mattress and laid it on the "bottom" and tried that for awhile. It wasn't long before it was sagging there, too.

When we called Tempurpedic about replacement under warranty, they wouldn't because we had used a heating pad. No matter that they never stated that in any of the documentation. No matter that my side sagged without use of a heating pad.

When it got to the point that neither dh nor I could sleep without waking up in major pain, we replaced that mess with a Comfortaire air mattress. Like a Sleep Number, but better quality and less $.

If we had gotten the Comfortaire to begin with we'd have saved $$.

By the way, Comfortaire has latex-free models, for those who are allergic to latex, which is a major component of many foams and nearly all the airbags in air mattresses.

We've had a king TempurPedic Celebrity (now called the GrandBed) for about 8 years now and I will never own a different kind of bed. Ever. This is one of their more expensive beds (8 years ago we paid about $7500 for the bed, foundation and mattress cover), but honestly, it was worth every single penny. James Bond was highly against getting it (he's cheap), but I was tired of not getting good sleep and convinced him to go look at them. He fell asleep in the show room after being on it less than 5 minutes. He was still against it (sticker shock), but he was having his 4th foot surgery (he broke both his feet in Iraq) and would be bed bound for at least 2-3 weeks. I asked him if he'd rather be in our old bed or a new one for that. He agreed it would be better to have the new bed to convalesce in and we bought it (cash). It was delivered the next day, and the first morning he woke up after sleeping on it all night, the first words out of his mouth were "My back doesn't hurt!" Yay!

I am a dedicated stomach sleeper (James Bond is most of the night too) and I've never had a problem. We've never had a problem with TeA either (as evidenced by the new baby). :D

The only issue we've ever had is that dh went away to school in Nov of 07 (Indy and I were living in IL, where I worked) and turned of the heat in the house. On our way to his graduation we stopped for a night at the house and the bed was like a slab of marble because it was so cold. Don't ever go off in the winter and leave your heat off!

Honestly, it is the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. When we go away, we talk about getting home and sleeping in our bed. :lol:

Is this the bed that they advertise you can move on one side of the bed and not feel it on the other side?

Our problem is that DH tosses and turns and even shakes his foot while he sleeps. We usually sleep in separate beds because of it.

would this solve our problem?

Dawn

Is this the bed that they advertise you can move on one side of the bed and not feel it on the other side?

Our problem is that DH tosses and turns and even shakes his foot while he sleeps. We usually sleep in separate beds because of it.

Dawn

Honestly, that commercial is a lie! I can still feel when James Bond rolls over, but not like I could on a regular mattress. It's more of a gentle move than a bed rocking move. He shakes his foot too and it used to drive me insane. I was constantly saying "quit rocking your foot!" I can't feel him doing it on the TempurPedic bed. We laughed when we would see the commercials of the woman jumping on the bed and a glass of wine not even moving. Please.

wow...thanks for all of the opinions. I really appreiate it. Another question for those who own one of these...can you put a matress protector on top of it....and if not, what happens if a sick kid yaks all over, or you spill something on it...can it easily be cleaned...sorry for the gross question....but I have always wondered how that would work.

We have owned a TempurPedic for several years now. It felt great for the first 90 days or so but after that time, not so much. We both have back problems and wish we hadn't spent the money. It is too hot, especially if you are a woman in midlife! A lot of the sheets today are the really deep ones and they don't fit well on this mattress.

We cannot wait until the day we can afford to replace it. I would never recommend it to anyone.

wow...thanks for all of the opinions. I really appreiate it. Another question for those who own one of these...can you put a matress protector on top of it....and if not, what happens if a sick kid yaks all over, or you spill something on it...can it easily be cleaned...sorry for the gross question....but I have always wondered how that would work.

We bought a mattress protector when we bought our bed. The sad thing is that the mattress we have has a silk-cashmere blend cover and it is the softest thing you've ever felt. You can't sleep on it though, so I'm not sure why they chose this for a covering. :confused: Sometimes when I'm washing the sheets and mattress protector, I'll lay down on the mattress for a nap and revel in the softness of the cover. :D

Dawn

We just got a temperpedic-love it! I was heading for separate beds b/c DH thrashes around terribly-when his alarm goes off he jumps and it was a horrible way to wake up. I noticed this morning I could still ever so slightly feel him move but for the most part I don't know he's over there. I wake up sometimes and he's gotten up and left and I couldn't feel it which I always could before. It does block out most of the movement of the other person very well.

I am a devoted tummy sleeper and it used to hurt my back-no more. I sleep perfectly, no aches and pains, on my stomach all night long.

We didn't notice any significant difference in TeA activities.

I actually don't notice any warmth issues-our old mattress was saggy baggy so I don't think I'm sunk in any worse than I was before! :) I use cool linen sheets in the summer so I think that helps too.

Definitely a mattress pad is a good idea-it would be very difficult to clean.

I really like this temperpedic but I got mine for free-my brother gave it to me post-divorce. I was going to buy one of the much less expensive versions.

We paid big bucks for our Tempurpedic and within three years had to replace it. What a disaster.

It was very comfortable in the beginning, and we were happy with it, for about two years.

However, just like every other mattress we've had, it develops troughs. You could sleep in the very middle of the bed, and it would be firmer and higher than the rest of the bed. Only difference was that these troughs cost us and arm and a leg.

Dh ruined his side of the bed using a heating pad in it, so, for goodness sake, if you buy one, don't use a heating pad in it. Apparently it damages the foam. We turned the bed around (traded sides) because I can sleep anywhere, but my side of the bed was also "troughing," just not as badly as his--I had not used a heating pad, and I'm normal sized for a tall woman, in the low 150s, so it's not that I wore the silly thing out.

You aren't supposed to sleep on the bottom of the bed (flip it over), but we took the memory foam off the top, flipped the mattress and laid it on the "bottom" and tried that for awhile. It wasn't long before it was sagging there, too.

When we called Tempurpedic about replacement under warranty, they wouldn't because we had used a heating pad. No matter that they never stated that in any of the documentation. No matter that my side sagged without use of a heating pad.

When it got to the point that neither dh nor I could sleep without waking up in major pain, we replaced that mess with a Comfortaire air mattress. Like a Sleep Number, but better quality and less $.

If we had gotten the Comfortaire to begin with we'd have saved $$.

By the way, Comfortaire has latex-free models, for those who are allergic to latex, which is a major component of many foams and nearly all the airbags in air mattresses.

We love our tempurpedic too. BUT it is 3 years old and we're seeing the troughing. We haven't used any heating pads. So perhaps we'll try calling them for a replacement bed. I'll have to get back to you later about this.

I've actually taken to sleeping backwards (with my head at the end of the bed) because I'm shorter and the trough doesn't reach all the way down there yet.

I am looking forward to cooler weather so it gets harder again. Also, if I was buying a new one I'd buy the hardest one I could.

I'm a side sleeper because of my back issues and my shoulders never hurt sleeping on my tempurpedic. Love it. But . ...

Me! Love, love it for tummy sleeping. Yes, they are really different. True tempurpedic though is the only way. No knockoffs as they tend to be hotter on your body and don't hold up. We have a Rhapsody. Pretty hard. We went through 3 beds in 2 years. I won't go into how much money we lost and have had this for 6 years. Won't buy anything else.

We have had ours for 14 years and I love it. Like someone else said, the worst it has done is caused us to not want to be away from it. About 3 years ago ours started "troughing", also. It's not too bad, though I do prefer to sleep in the center now (extra close to dh, lol). We also use the Temper-Pedic pillows. Dh uses a standard pillow in addition, but I need to be as flat as possible while still having some support.

There *is* a heat issue. Meaning, it absorbs your body heat. This helps to soften the area you're sleeping in a bit, but if you're naturally hot, I would suggest very light sheets/blankets. I am always cold and sleep with a down comforter even in the summer, so this doesn't bother me. However, when I have a fever, that mattress is the last place I want to be on. It just seems to increase body aches because my fever makes me so much hotter in that bed. It's a little frustrating, so thankfully it's not often that I am sick like that.

Also, don't use a mattress pad on it. My parents bought one for their guest room and my mom used a mattress pad. It makes the bed almost completely ineffective. I kept telling my mom that it's not meant to have a mattress pad, but that disgusted her so she refused to take it off, LOL.

Anyway, I wouldn't hesitate to get another one should the need arise. I really do love my bed.

Thanks for posting about this - I've been considering this mattress as a replacement for our current one. I don't think we'd ever spring for the cost of a real Tempurpedic. . .

I've actually taken to sleeping backwards (with my head at the end of the bed) because I'm shorter and the trough doesn't reach all the way down there yet.

Why not just turn the mattress? I am picturing your feet near your dh's head...? We have turned our mattress twice - once we turned it 180* because of what you described - the toughing wasn't bad where our feet were. We have also turned it 90*. The mattress didn't fit quite as nicely on the box, but the comforter covered it up so it was no big deal. I know the mattress is incredibly heavy, but it's not impossible to move.

My mom used a mattress pad on hers and I thought it made the bed completely ineffective when I slept on it. It was NOT the same feel to the bed at all. In fact, I didn't sleep well on it at all until I took the mattress pad off.

Out mattress is older -14 years - but it has a zippered cover. The mattress is VERY heavy, but it's not impossible to get that zippered cover off, washed and put back on. We've done it (it just takes 2 people to do it). I don't know if the newer mattresses have that zippered cover or not...? Also, I am pretty sure that TemperPedic recommends that you DON'T use a mattress pad - but I could be wrong on that.

Thanks for posting aobut the Sleep Innovations mattress. We need a new bed and are considering this brand; the price is much more feasible than the Tempurpedic!

Anybody else have a non-Tempurpedic memory foam mattress?

We just bought a memory foam mattress and love it!!! It's the 12" mattress. We have it on a platform bed. We haven't had it but about a week but so far it is wonderful. I don't feel movement from my husband which is great. It does seem a little warmer than a regular mattress but I just sleep under a lightweight blanket and keep the ceiling fan on. Tea is not a problem at all for us. Neither of us are tummy sleepers so not sure how that is on it. We don't have the pain we had on our spring mattress at all. I will NEVER go back to a spring mattress ever. If this one doesn't hold up for long, I will invest in the Tempurpedic for sure. Very happy sleeper now.

Also, don't use a mattress pad on it. My parents bought one for their guest room and my mom used a mattress pad. It makes the bed almost completely ineffective. I kept telling my mom that it's not meant to have a mattress pad, but that disgusted her so she refused to take it off, LOL.

My mom used a mattress pad on hers and I thought it made the bed completely ineffective when I slept on it. It was NOT the same feel to the bed at all. In fact, I didn't sleep well on it at all until I took the mattress pad off.

You can't use a regular mattress pad because they don't breathe right. They sell a mattress cover (at a premium of course) that breathes and doesn't affect the way the bed works. We have one on ours and there's no difference in having it on and having it off.

As for the "troughing" you need to turn the bed. Ours has a little troughing, but it's not bad compared to how spring mattresses get lumpy and saggy.

We have a knockoff that we bought at Costco ($400, queen). We love it, but I suspect the sleep on a true T'pedic is better (we have slept on them when visiting friends). We just could not afford it at the moment. Our goal is to get a real one as soon as we can and move the knockoff to the guest room.

PROs: ~It was very hard at first, but withing 2 weeks was comfy.

~Cost! For $400 and a 20 yr. warranty I can forgive a lot!

CONs: ~It has developed a trough, but I think that is more about the fact that we sleep in the same place all night, and the "higher" areas are ones that have not been slept on and are not broken in properly.

~Slight smell on unwrapping, but did not last more than a week.

~Not the most environmentally-friendly bed.

we have had ours (king size) since 2001 ish. We love it. We have the original one. Now, there are many more options (thicknesses, etc.) than the original one. My sister has the newer version and I've slept on hers also. Hers is perhaps softer, but I prefer my own over hers because mine seems to sink in ideally and not as much/too much IMO. I think that the newer (thicker ones) lead to the complaints I've heard about getting hot as one sinks down in the material and it might lead to more heat around a person. I've never felt hot at all on mine (nor has my husband). We love it and both say it's the best $2000 (that was the cost then) we ever spent. One more thing....I think that my original is better for stomach sleepers -- but that's just my opinion based on sleeping on the two versions.

We got one in May, my husband had back surgery in May 2010 and I'm not sure his back ever will be back to normal, but that was why we looked Tempurpedic.

So far I really like it. I can sleep on my tummy and not have back pain in the morning. The best part is that I was having hip & knee pain (and needed to sleep with a pillow btwn my knees for comfort). On the Tempurpedic, I can sleep with no pillows below my waist and my hips and knees feel great.

My husband is still not sold on the mattress. His back pain comes and goes and so the bed hasn't solved that. I wouldn't be surprised if he needs another surgery on his back in the future, nothing seems to help his back. Although I'll remember about the heating pads while using the bed, thank you!!

The weird part is that since we got the Tempurpedic, I dream A LOT more than I did with our spring mattress :confused: Does this mean I'm sleeping deeper? I don't know, but sometimes I do feel more tired because of the dreams I'm having. Not sure that's really the bed's fault though. :tongue_smilie:

Well, our king one lives in our guest room - it was mine before DH and I got married. I LOVE it and that's why I got one for myself - DH however can't sleep on it, he's tried and tried, and initially feels comfortable, but he has broad shoulders, so by the morning, his back is killing him once he gets up. So, it became our guest bed - our guests love it!

Newbie here! Hello everyone! :seeya:

Can't help on the bed question, as I'm currently eyeballing a natural latex bed investment, but I'm scratching my head raw trying to figure out what teA means! :001_huh: I have figured out what it is in reference to, but would someone mind PM'ing me to fill this newbie in, please! I would greatly appreciate it! :D

Newbie here! Hello everyone! :seeya:

Can't help on the bed question, as I'm currently eyeballing a natural latex bed investment, but I'm scratching my head raw trying to figure out what teA means! :001_huh: I have figured out what it is in reference to, but would someone mind PM'ing me to fill this newbie in, please! I would greatly appreciate it! :D

TeA is a board term for extracurricular bed activities. :D

I'm glad MeerkatMama asked what TeA was so I didn't have to! :lol:

We got a knock-off from Angel Beds about 4 1/2 years ago. I like it. A lot cheaper than T, no troughing. Dh sleeps well, I sleep well, but I do find it a bit warm. I kept it covered with a waterproof mattress protector because I was either pregnant, nursing, or surrounded by jumping toddlers or vomiting animals. Since getting up the nerve to get rid of the mattress protector, I've been much more comfortable temperature-wise.

TeA is a board term for extracurricular bed activities. :D

Thank you, Tanya! :D I'm laughing a good one, because while I figured that much, I'm still scratching my head about how one came to the word "teA" in reference to that. I finally did a search on this forum and came across one that as I read the post, I had an "ah-ha" moment of where I *think* it came from. Very clever! You ladies make me laugh! Of all the things...:lol:

Sheep Lady Mama, I'm just glad to hear I'm not the only one who was out of the loop! :D