Menu

What OLD TV shows are good for kids?

my 1dd loved rescue rangers, wishbone, and mathnet.

I loved bewitched, and watched when my brother turned on star trek.

My husband was quoting dobbie gillis for years. It's adolescent/teen satire. (if they have it on dvd, maybe it would make a great bd present. hmmm.)

Edited by gardenmom5

Little House on the Prairie! At least the original movie and the first two seasons. We bought them; they weren't on streaming, to my knowledge.

Also don't forget old movies; dd and her friend recently watched Rin Tin Tin on Netflix streaming. I know there have been other old movies they've watched lately, but I'm drawing a blank right now. Must be the fact that I haven't started dinner yet...

Do I dare say...Lost in Space? lol Looking at it as an adult it's pathetic, but man, as a kid, it was mesmerizing!

I enjoyed the Brady Bunch and Partridge Family as a child too.

And I found there are lots of moral lessons to learn in each of these shows.

Purely entertainment-wise, my son is a huge fan of Tom & Jerry and the Road Runner. (some of the material is not considered "acceptable" - we just explain to him about how some of the things they address aren't appropriate or could be downright dangerous.)

Oh, and Pink Panther!

My kids like Richard the Lionheart (1960s), The Adventures of Sir Lancelot (1950s), and Davy Crockett (1950s) which we own on DVD. They've also enjoyed Bonanaza, and my younger daughter used to love Little House on the Prairie. My son watched the original Star Trek, and is now watching Star Trek: The Next Generation with my husband in the evenings.

They like a lot of old movies too, many of which are available on Netflix instant queue, like Sinbad. Errol Flynn's "Robin Hood" is probably my 10yo son's FAVORITE movie of all time.

She's now watching Flipper and seems to like it.

I'm limited to what's available on Netflix streaming. Many of the oldie & goodies are only on DVD. :glare:

I'm also looking for TV rather than movies--She'll watch a movie now & then, but I like the length of a TV show for limiting her viewing time.

Little House on the Prairie! At least the original movie and the first two seasons. We bought them; they weren't on streaming, to my knowledge.

Yes--I want to watch all of it. We're in the process of reading the books. We're reading Little Town on the Prairie right now. I wish the series was on Netflix streaming. I'm not sure what we'll do when we finish the books. I can't afford to buy it, and even if our library had it, they'd be in terrible shape. Our library's DVDs don't play well unless they're new.

"I Love Lucy"

"Andy Griffith"...my personal, all-time favorite show

"Leave It To Beaver"

"The Donna Reed Show"

"Father Knows Best"

"Bewitched" (although the alcohol consumption on that show had to set some sort of record. Dang, that Larry Tate could drink!! :D BTW...I never noticed that as a kid.)

"Mr. Ed"

"The Patty Duke Show"

"Gidget"

"The Flying Nun" (both of the above starred a young Sally Field)

"Nanny and the Professor"

"The Dick Van Dyke Show"

I'm sure I know more. I grew up on most of those and made sure my kids did, too. Enjoy!!

"The Dick van Dyke Show." Oh, Rob!

My favorite episodes? The one where Laura "outs" Alan Brady's toupee during an interview with a reporter, and the one where Rob's mother gives her that giant, hideous brooch of the USA with a gem in every city her family members live...and Laura accidentally grinds it up in the garbage disposal. :lol:

Lassie/Jeff's Collie

Leave it to Beaver

Skip and Marty

Lost in Space

Land of the Lost

Our Gang/Little Rascals

Please Don't Eat the Daisies

My Three Sons

Family Affair

The Waltons!!!!!!!!!! (might be too old for your kids, but this is so feel-good family love, plus sort of historical)

Munsters and The Adams Family.

:iagree:

As a side note.

We are watching the Addams family. I loved Gomez's line in the first episode. He was being questioned by the truant officer. The truant officer said everyone sends their children to school. Gomez replied, "Ridiculous, why have children just to get rid of them. I'm opposed to the whole nonsense." :lol:

(no offense meant to non-hs families)

I love most of the shows listed so far!

My favorite episodes? The one where Laura "outs" Alan Brady's toupee during an interview with a reporter, and the one where Rob's mother gives her that giant, hideous brooch of the USA with a gem in every city her family members live...and Laura accidentally grinds it up in the garbage disposal. :lol:

I remember both of those! :lol: Also, the one where she got her toe stuck in the faucet, I love that one. I also used to watch "Car 54 where are you ?" on nick at night when I was 7. But, I wouldn't know where to find it now.

I love Lucy is my all time favorite. I also enjoyed Wonder Woman and Donna Reed. In fact I grew up thinking that the perfect woman was a mix of Donna Reed and Princess Leia.

I'm not sure if it would be right for the OP's children, as they are a bit young, but I loved the Gomer Pyle series, and have been thinking about getting them for ds12 to watch. Well, and me, too.

This is a great thread; I give my thanks to the OP for starting it!

Thanks! I just wish more of these were available on Netflix streaming. :)

Many of the ones already mentioned. We watch lots of these and have so many boxed collections, including:

Little House

Andy Griffith

Pink Panther

and lots of others ... :)

One that hasn't been mentioned that our dc loved when they were your dc's age: H.R. PufnStuff - love the theme song.

3-hrpuff-n-stuff.jpg

Now, that our dc are older, we also love the Columbo series.

We only do the streaming as well.

Someone mentions Bullwinkle and Rocky, but also Pink Panther. I uploaded the 1980's The Littles as well.

Not technically children shows but DD has watched/is watching:

(And I know these aren't kid oriented so mileage may vary based on family values)

Zena the Warrior Princess

The Adventures of Hercules

Red Dwarf

Blackadder

• 7 months later...
my 1dd loved rescue rangers, wishbone, and mathnet.

My biggest regret in life is that I didn't obsessively record every episode of Square One growing up for my future children. I still have the "Case of the Mystery Weekend" episodes memorized, and my cousin and I used to act it out. We even wrote a script and held a casting call! I think I can point to Mathnet as being the catalyst for my lifelong obsession of crime television.

ETA: I found some of them on YouTube! Oh happy day!

Edited by BarbecueMom