Menu

How much is a gallon of milk where you live?

Here in San Antonio, I get my raw milk for $5 per gallon, and $2 per gallon if she has any excess (usually 2+ weeks old) that I use for cheese, yoghurt, ice cream, kefir, etc. I am not sure how much a generic gallon is, but Organic at HEB is $5.50 per gallon I think (we ran out a month ago and DH picked some up, but kids refused to drink it)

This morning I paid

$3.53 for milk

$2.79 for butter

This was at Food Lion, which is always cheaper than Safeway and Giant. I'm in a central Maryland suburb.

The shocker was paying $9.49 for about a cup of crab meat. It's going in a recipe that really stretches it, but still. :confused:

Edited by KungFuPanda
Perspective

Regular non-organic (though local and without RBST) 2% milk is a little over $4 a gallon here.

Raw milk varies, depending on where I get it. The stuff I like best is about $4.50 a gallon, so it's comparable to grocery store milk, but it means driving an hour each way, so I don't do that often with gas being so expensive. That same farm's milk is sold at a local health food store (that is closer and more convenient to me) for $6.25 a gallon, and there's a place five minutes from me whose raw milk is pretty good (and they're a homeschooling family, so I like supporting them), though not quite as creamy, and it's been steady at $7.40 a gallon for the past several years.

Butter -- regular butter is about $3-4 a pound, I think, but I don't usually buy it unless it's on sale ($2 a pound). I usually buy organic butter, which is a little over $5 a pound. Raw butter from the farm with the $4.50 milk is $9 a pound but so good!

In Western Washington, I'm paying $5.50 for 2 gallons of whole milk at our local 7-11 (very good-tasting from WA dairy). Fred Meyer whole milk is $2.49 per gallon.

Butter is $2.50 and up per pound.

We do the Fred Meyer milk too (for our bottle baby goats). Our family drinks raw goat's milk from our own goats (kids with food allergies)...we are raising our own does because raw goat's milk here is at least $16/gallon!

15 hours of moving in 108 degree heat, up to the third floor.

It's ten at night and we've been at this since 7 a.m. never eating...ugh.

So. Finally. Go to Grocery Store to find something to eat.

Six bucks for butter (this is Albertsons)? 5.50 for a gallon of milk?

What kind of joke is this? :001_huh:

Welcome to California? That's about what we pay.

Edited by Daisy

I'm super jealous of some of you guy's raw, local milk prices!

We pay $3.79/gal for whole milk from a local dairy. It's conventionally processed, but the cows are raised pretty well and I like that I'm supporting a very local company. It's always cool when you drive by the cows who give you your milk. (We also buy our 1/2 & 1/2 from them and try to get most of our ice cream from them!)

From what I can tell, this is a pretty average price for other conventional milk. Organic ranges up to about $6/gal. (Raw from the farm is $10-$12/gal!)

Butter I usually pay about $2.50/lb. This is on sale or from Costco. Regular non-sale prices are around $4/lb.

My dream is to have a cow. But first I need to have a house. And some land.

The organic, VAT pasturized, non-homogenized milk I buy is $3.79 a half gallon, so $7.58 a gallon.

$3.89 here per half gal. I pay $4/gal for organic, straight from the cow (as in, if I time it right, I can strain my own cow temperature milk from the milking bucket). If I get non-organic from the tank (same fields, same lifestyle, not certified hay), it's $3.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse

Is it horrible that I have no idea? I buy milk in the half gallon carton. I get the Hannaford (store) brand of organic whole (or sometimes 2%) milk. It just goes in my cart when I grocery shop every week like clockwork. I don't have any other option for organic milk so I don't even look at the price.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say between $6-7.

Too dang much!

I will only buy it at Costco or Martins, where it's reliably around $3.00 or less (for 2%), but it's very common for it to be between 4 and 5 bucks a gallon. I avoid paying that much like the plague. We drink too much milk in our home to be frivolous about it.