Menu

X-Post If you had two hours a day to do self-education ...

Luanne

You know, I heaved a big sigh just reading that question. I only have one child, but she's 13 months; and I'm sure she sleeps far less than the average kid...

I'd use it for craft. I'm trying to learn some practical skills, like dressmaking and knitting. I'm sure I'd progress a lot faster if I had longer segments of time to devote to it. I do read now, but if I had that amount of uninterrupted time I'd be working through TWEM.

:)

Rosie

self-education in 2 hours a day (I think I have more than two hours worth here):

read, read, read, read, read any and everything I can get my hands on from literary greats, philosophy, science, how-to books, anything (I currently am reading Walden, but I only get to catch a page or two at a time which really doesn't do the book justice)

language - I would brush up my Italian and finish studying German

photography - I would really like to create better photos

ornithology, plant ID, herpetology - I took these in college, but my ID is a little rusty and I love, love, love learning more natural history

Truthfully even now homeschooling two kids, I probably do have 2 hours I could spend on self education if I so chose :)

And in a way, I do choose.....I read and read, but not in a structured way, I read a lot of non fiction, but I just get drawn to the next book.

I go through stages of really getting into cooking and health (just going through a raw food detox phase at the moment.) In the past I have taken cooking lessons.

I play and sing in two bands, part time, and I am always learning to improve my musical abilities, and have just booked myself for singing lessons- I am so excited about that!

I have taken art classes in the past.

I learn new things on the computer all the time.

Life feels like an ongoing learning experience for me, but I never make a chore out of it. I just move toward what I love to do.

I do have this amount of time, and sometimes more, and it is such a blessing. One scholar believed that two hours was enough to enable one to live an intellectual life.

I spend maybe half an hour on Latin, 15 minutes on Greek (although I haven't been consistent about that lately), and the rest reading. I usually have one classic going, plus books on whatever subject I'm focusing on at the moment.

Daily, I can honestly say that I regularly "steal" two hours for myself. Ten minutes here...thirty minutes there, whether it be super early or really late at night even a few minutes throughtout my day. I always have a book to read for enjoyment and a book to learn. I am also tackling a crochet project and deepening my Bible Study--Oh Yeah, I'm starting a blog too!

I would spend some of it on my Bible time I have such a hard time getting to. I would spend 45 to 1 hr. bring my piano playing back up to speed. I might spend the rest trying to bring order to our family photo chaos.

I *should* say I would read more, but I think I'll do that alongside my children as they get older and read more and more classics. (Sounds efficient anyway;))

For in general:

- spend some time with a Bible Study, 30 minutes

- read one of the Great Books, 30 minutes

- learn/work on a new practical skill, 30 minutes

- watch documentary on art, science, philosophy, history

For me personally:

- Read a biography

- Work on a new practical skill

- Draw in my nature journal

- Study ahead of my oldest's topics which includes reading Tapestry's Teacher Notes for my own knowledge

- work on my own French studies (either on iPod, Internet or book work)

I went back to school to get my MA in Christian Education. I just finished all of my theology courses and now I'm entering into my education portion. It's been very interesting and a lot of hard work. I have to read my selected texts and write a 1pg summary for each chapter, type all of my lecture notes in outline form, and write a 10 page thesis for each course. I have found that IEW has improved my writing style!

I also consider hsing a part of my self-education since I cheated myself out of studying history. I never liked history, so I'm learning so much this go around.

I do get about two hours a day. Right now I am...

Reading from my 8/8/8 list

Working on writing a novel - about an hour a day

I also have these things on the books, but not doing on a regular schedule.

Vocabulary Builder using 100 words a high-schooler should know

"Getting started with Latin" - I just received this week

Harvey's Grammar - will work through later this summer

Visual Passport "French Essentials" DVD

I would do 45 minutes of German, 30 minutes of banjo, and 45 minutes of Latin. I already make time for bible study, and carve out writing time when I can.

I also want to learn Hebrew.... can I have two and a half hours a day?

I would spend time on a foreign language, listen to Teaching Company lectures (maybe practice using OneNote as I go), learn Photoshop, spend time with the classics or on a program similar to WEM, and right now I'm itching to improve my "teaching" skills so I might start with either curriculum planning or evaluation methods.

I would spend 1/2 hour on Latin -- already doing that with Henle while I wait for kids at piano lessons, swimming, dance class, etc.

I would spend 1/2 hour listening to a Teaching Co. lecture -- already doing that while I wash dishes, scrub floor, take a walk.

I would spend 1/2 hour practicing piano or else start another instrument -- currently manage about 10 minutes per month, sigh.

And the other half hour? Hmmm, so many things I'd like to learn and do. That one would probably vary from week to week, month to month.

I would get my teaching degree through a distance college course.

Meaning ... a distance college course that does give teaching degrees? I have considered this multiple times, but haven't found what I am looking for.

I would do 45 minutes of German, 30 minutes of banjo, and 45 minutes of Latin. I already make time for bible study, and carve out writing time when I can.

I also want to learn Hebrew.... can I have two and a half hours a day?

:D My ds14 wants to start Hebrew as well. I just need to find a good program!

Devotions

Learn Spanish and Swahili

Scrapbook

Make cards and candles with dd

Knit

Take clarinet lessons, or pick up a saxophone again and see if I can play it without squeaking!!! :blink:

DEFINITELY NOT cleaning the house.....oh NO!!! ;)

I'm working on some theology classes through www.reclaimingthemind.org (Did I mention they are FREE)

I view the online video teaching, work through the questions and then a friend and I get together once a week to go over our answers. It has been great! We've just started the first class Intro to Theology and are on week 4. They are thought provoking and not condescending at all. I'm particularly interested in the Bibliology & Hermeneutics class but didn't want to take the courses out of order.

Angela

... in that I go through "phases" or "cycles." I think this is because I learn best spirally:

The Big Picture -- in this stage I usually read juvenile non-fiction books, such as DK or Usborne or good living books. JNF books seem to lay out the overal scheme of something in a better way than most adult NFs do. When I wanted to study Church History, something I was NEVER taught in church, a wise friend advised me to utilize the JNF section of the library. That was years ago, and I've benefitted from that tip ever since.

Simmer -- After I put the main ingredients in the pot, I let them simmer.

Re-read -- About 6 months-1 year later, I work my way back around to the subject and read, read, read again. I usually find that I understand so much more the second/third time around.

Aging -- Then the wine goes into the bottles, and it takes time to integrate everything with (a) what I think I already know and (b) my convictions and © real life. This is when I spend time musing, writing, outlining, praying, and stumping my husband with "deep" questions. :lol:

Other Viewpoints -- After some more process time, I like to take what I think I know and find the counter-arguments, opposing viewpoints, perspectives I had not considered, and write down/discuss what I think and why.

Application -- Finally, it is time to get up and make dinner. Perhaps learning something about American pioneer history will help me make a better dinner. It might inspire me to try a recipe or sew dresses for my daughters. Probably I will just thank God that I get to cook on my nice gas stove.

All THAT to say --

Since I do usually have two hours a day for study (during their nap/quiet time, 1:30-3:30 pm), I am somewhere on that list. Not so much on any particular "subject," because that changes/moves along, but somewhere in the process of learning more and deeper about X, Y, and maybe Z.

Because I had years and years of concentrated study of Bible, church history, and theology before my girls were born, I don't often feel the need to plow those fields again. I can open up my Bible any time and be right at home. There is always food on the table there. If I hadn't had those years to grow in the Word, that is where I would start.

Now, with my girls coming up to "school age," I want to focus more on my own grasp of Grammar, Latin, History, Literature, Science, Math, French and Spanish. I also wish I had some clue about Music Appreciation and Art/Architecture. Someday, I want to learn to knit. That's about it!

What is 8/8/8?

Here's the blog that describes the rules.

http://triple8challenge.blogspot.com/2007/09/challenge-rules.html

Basically you read 8 book each from 8 different categories for 2008. If you do a search here you'll find lots of ladies here are doing it, this is where I found out about it.

My reading list is on my elegantlion blog in signature.

Can I have some money too? If I had that, I'd buy the Rosetta Stone Polish program and have *another* go at learning. Translating my Polish heraldry book is pretty hard going with only an online translator...

:)

Rosie

We still get Rosetta Stone free through our library...check yours out!

Angela

Priority one: Great books. I always have one going. I may only do ten pages I day, but I spend some time each day. Currently Canterbury Tales. I often start with a children's version of whatever I'm reading. I also read some secondary literature.

Priority two: I am working through poetry, philosophy and art through history. I have art up through the renaissance and poetry through the middle ages. I'm trying to catch philosophy up, but I alternate between the three depending on my mood. Again, this may only be a few pages a day.

Priority three: Some history every day. I've completed a survey of each major period. Now I'm reading history of science. I really enjoy this.

Priority four: Some language every day. I've worked through about half of Henle Latin and now I'm starting Spanish.

This is, by the way, too much :) Exercise needs to be a higher priority. So does cleaning house and cooking. And laundry. :)

Would spent 1/2 hr on Latin, 1/2 hr on Spanish, and 1hr alternating between photography and metal work. I would also love to take a master's gardening class. I dream of being a lady of leisure, who takes art classes and has time to write poetry, and travel the world... what, that's beyond the question. Sorry.:tongue_smilie:

Since I am taking online college classes I guess I wouldn't have much of a choice. It would be either self-educating myself in psychology, math, or criminal justice.

But, in the unlikely event that I would have more time on my hands it would be to teach myself Spanish and writing a book.

I do walk on the treadmill, but I'm not consistent enough with it, and I want someone to work with me on nutrition and muscle building, too. I know there are books out there, but I really want/need someone to encourage me and push me in this area.

You ladies are inspiring!

I notice several of you are doing algebra- is this to get ahead/keep ahead of your children?

I have found just this year I am hitting a wall with my dd in her algebra (she is almost 14, year 9 here in Australia). I have been amazed that up until now I have been able to get her through- not that she has needed much help- just through my memory of highschool maths, but now, ugh, its getting hard. I cant just glance at her work and explain it to her anymore. I have to go back and read it all myself- can take a long time.

I'm not sure I have the dedication to learn it with her though. I am thinking more of earning more money so I can pay someone else to, when I just can't do it any more!

I do walk on the treadmill, but I'm not consistent enough with it, and I want someone to work with me on nutrition and muscle building, too. I know there are books out there, but I really want/need someone to encourage me and push me in this area.

A Personal Trainer! YES!!! Great idea! I'd LOVE to have one of those, and I NEED one so badly! If I was bigger I'd go on Biggest Loser and train with Gillian! If I was rich I'd hire her just for my family! ;)

What would you do in that two hours?

Do you mean, completely separate from what I'm studying because life demands that I do so? I am spending about that much time each day studying Latin and Greek ahead of my kids, financial math for my partner's business, and physics, specifically everything I need to know to understand how to design and build a passive solar, cordwood home. Also, my religious organization has a never ending hierarchy of study programs and I am ever so slowly working through the first prerequisite one. I'm not really the sort of person that hires such projects out, so I'm sure I'd always be taking on some practical task that pushes my intellectual powers to their limits.

LEt's see I really want to learn how to sew clothes so would teach myself that, I have also always wanted to learn to play the piano. I would read and read and read even more than I currently do. Work on develop my skill drawing, I can doodle a bit but really want to know how to draw/paint/etc. Another language would be cool to learn, either brushing up on my french or a whole new language.