Menu

Do you call sherbet "sherbert"?

I've always pronounced it with the (nonexistent) R. We had it a lot when I was growing up, and I realized as soon as I could read the words on the carton that we were pronouncing it wrong. :lol:

I compounded and perpetuated the error a few years ago when we were studying the composer Franz Schubert. I added a little interest to our studies by including a snack. We called that particular study "Schubert With Sherbet" (with sherbet pronounced incorrectly). :D

And I just want to thank you for starting this thread -- now I'm craving Lime Sherbet, R or no R. :tongue_smilie:

I've always pronounced it with the (nonexistent) R. We had it a lot when I was growing up, and I realized as soon as I could read the words on the carton that we were pronouncing it wrong. :lol:

I compounded and perpetuated the error a few years ago when we were studying the composer Franz Schubert. I added a little interest to our studies by including a snack. We called that particular study "Schubert With Sherbet" (with sherbet pronounced incorrectly). :D

And I just want to thank you for starting this thread -- now I'm craving Lime Sherbet, R or no R. :tongue_smilie:

No problem.;)

I really thought it was one of those weird things that was picked up from some other language. Kind of like dropping the "t" in sorbet. Except sherbet picked up an "r."

I went to dictionary.com and sure enough, the lady that speaks when one clicks on the megaphone said it without the second "r."

This is officially the new thing I learned today.

Yes, but I'm a Yankee. Contrary to popular belief, we don't drop Rs, we save them for later. For instance in words like idear and spatular and sherbert.

It would go against Yankee frugality to toss out all those Rs, aftah all.

:lol::lol:

I really thought it was one of those weird things that was picked up from some other language. Kind of like dropping the "t" in sorbet. Except sherbet picked up an "r."

I went to dictionary.com and sure enough, the lady that speaks when one clicks on the megaphone said it without the second "r."

This is officially the new thing I learned today.

Feeling ready to audtion for Jeopardy now?:D

Love it! Sounds like a Peter Schickele title !

As a child, I always inserted the inauthentic "r". Only as an adult did I learn that the word lacked that consonant.

The obvious next question is whether this is a regional mispronunciation.

As for the substance in question, it was my rave fave as a child. Money was very tight in my family, and a Glory Day treat was to go to Dugan Drugstore and have a 5-cent cone of lime sherbet. At age 4, my beloved snuggle-pal was a stuffed rabbit which I had named Orange Sherbet.

Now I don't eat sherbet anymore -- :sad: -- because all the brands contain HFCS.

I had no idea there was only one R! I don't care for it, so I guess I never stopped to look at a box, and everyone I have ever heard say it says the second R.

Except dh apparently. He asked what I was looking at and informed that of course there is only one R in sherbet. :glare::D

I've always heard this word pronounced sherbert (with the r) but it's spelled without an r. Just wondering what's up with that. Do most people say the r? (Oh, and yes, things are mighty slow around here.:D)

:lol::lol::lol:

Funny Kathleen.....I'm with you! Thought the r thing too....but, unlike you, I've been too busy to check it out! :lol::lol::lol:

Well, we had rainbow or orange "sherbert" a lot when I was growing up. I noticed as a kid it was missing the R but that is always what my family called it.

At some point I started calling it sherbet, with no R, but with my accent it sounds like "sherbit" so that's probably not any better, huh? :tongue_smilie::bigear::001_huh:

NO!!! No second "R" in sherbet. That's like fingernails on the chalkboard, people!! Read the word....there is only one "r". Let's all pronounce it correctly now...shall we? :D

But how do you pronounce it if you drop the second R? That's what I want to know; I've always wondered. Is it shure-bet or sher-bey or what?

Besides, everyone says sherbert. Including me. :tongue_smilie:

I've always pronounced it "sherbert" growing up (I grew up in NY and always heard it said that way).

I can actually remember being quite surprised as an adult when I saw it spelled and realized there WAS no second "r" and then wondered if I'd been pronouncing it wrong my whole life heh.

Webster's Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary from 1985 has two entries under Sherbet:

1) sher-bet (those are supposed shwas) which is a drink and

2) sher-bert which is the frozen concoction we all love.

Our children's dictionary has it only as sher-biht

The online version does list sherbert as a variation.

Interesting . . .

No, but my XMIL does. Once I was telling her about how much I enjoy sherbet. She showed everyone present what a doll she is when she pulled out the dictionary to correct me.

It was delightful.

Oh my. She actually pulled out a dictionary? That's just crazy. :tongue_smilie:

NO!!! No second "R" in sherbet. That's like fingernails on the chalkboard, people!! Read the word....there is only one "r". Let's all pronounce it correctly now...shall we? :D

Nope. Sherbert is listed as a variant on m-w.com and in my dh's Webster's Ninth Collegiate Dictionary, so I'm sticking with it :D.

Oh my. She actually pulled out a dictionary? That's just crazy. :tongue_smilie:

Her dictionary didn't have "sherbert", but next time I write her a letter I'll have to let her know. It'll make her smile.

Hrm. Maybe I'll send her a dictionary with the word in it. She would lol.

Nope. Sherbert is listed as a variant on m-w.com and in my dh's Webster's Ninth Collegiate Dictionary, so I'm sticking with it :D.

Yep. Y'all are just spelling it wrong. Sherbert is listed as a correct spelling at dictionary.com too, so I'm sticking with my pronunciation! :D

I think I've always spelled it with the 'r' too (although I'm not sure I've ever needed to write that word down, so maybe it was only in my head). But see, now we know that's okay. :001_tt2:

(this reminds me of the catsup/ketchup thing...)

Irritates me when I hear "sherbert" especially when we're at an icecream store. Course.... enunciation irritations are earned honestly from my mom, who had a fit when people said "real a tor" when she worked at a realty company. :) She shared spelling and pronunciation with many "realtors" :) But, she worked her tush off for them and did their work carefully, so they loved her. (She had an in office job that she created, doing flyers and other "stuff" for them; lucky them, she didn't even charge for English grammar classes!! :))

Maybe it's really sher-BAY, then.

Hahahaha ... that's how I say it amongst kin! Precisely because of the whole sherbert vs. sherbet thing; I figure we're all wrong and it's really the French word for ... colored ice cream .... so I will say "I would like some share-bay, please." :D