Menu

Would you let your daughter wear this to homecoming?

Would you let your high school dd wear this to homecoming?  

1. 1. Would you let your high school dd wear this to homecoming?

• Yes
    • No
    • Other

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to see it on. The model pictures often look so different from what the dress actually looks like on that I would reserve judgment until I saw it in person.

Right. Most models are a lot taller than your average woman. I doubt it would be that short on a girl who was average height.

The skirt length is iffy, but I'd be just as worried about it being strapless. I only know a handful of adult women, let alone young women, who can wear a strapless dress without it either being glued on or pulled up every five minutes. How much fun is homecoming going to be if you're doing that little lift and shimmy with your strapless bra the whole time?

Unfortunately, the hypothetical dd can only find it online. No returns, no refunds.

Can you get the dimensions and compare it to her body? That might work.

ETA: I probably would not order it online if there are not returns or refunds. I have one dd that looks good in everything - she has more of a model shape. My other dd is very curvy and on the shorter side, so often cute clothes on the hanger don't look good on her. It's a serious hunt to find the more flattering cuts.

Edited by True Blue

I am not a conservative, but when I first saw that dress it made me think of a sexy bedtime nighty, not a dress.

I think it is very cute, and agree with others that I would have to see it on the person. That dress could look demure on a slight-framed-girl, or on a curvy body style....vavavoom!

It is not one I would order without seeing it first.

Wow, I consider myself pretty conservative with regard to dd's dress, and my dd is comfortable dressing conservatively (although others may not think she does). I voted Yes. I was looking at it as not showing cleavage nor being figure-hugging. My dd would not wear it because she would not like to have her chest and shoulders completely bare.

I didn't think of it as too short, although I went back and looked again after reading the comments. I think it's much more flattering than many of the dresses I've seen.

ETA: There's no way I'd order this online without a refund/exchange.

Edited by Kristine out of lurking

Unfortunately, the hypothetical dd can only find it online. No returns, no refunds.

Hmmmmmm...... If you, hypothetically, ordered it and it was too short.... Couldn't a decent alterationist add on some (ever so slightly) longer under layers? At that length, every inch counts.

Oh, then I wouldn't buy it. No returns, no refunds on clothes? No way. There is too much that can vary in fit from person to person. It's strapless, too, so there is the fit issue of bust size to consider -- too much or too little and the dress will look awful on her. Often the dimension descriptions are inaccurate. I'm always suspicious of "no returns, no refunds" sales anyway.

Pass, and find something similar that she can try on and return if it doesn't fit properly.

ETA: I would say that for ANY clothing that said "no returns, no refunds," not just this dress.

I am not a conservative, but when I first saw that dress it made me think of a sexy bedtime nighty, not a dress.

I think it is very cute, and agree with others that I would have to see it on the person. That dress could look demure on a slight-framed-girl, or on a curvy body style....vavavoom!

It is not one I would order without seeing it first.

As I see it on the model, it looks like a dress best reserved for sexy time with dh. ;)

ETA: I would say that for ANY clothing that said "no returns, no refunds," not just this dress.

I've discovered that this is the policy for all special occasion type dresses. This particular website allows returns for store credit on some dresses, but not this one. Most places are no returns or exchanges at all.

My guess is that they want to avoid people wearing them once and then trying to get their money back. :glare:

It's unfortunate, because it's slim pickings around here.

I've discovered that this is the policy for all special occasion type dresses. This particular website allows returns for store credit on some dresses, but not this one. Most places are no returns or exchanges at all.

My guess is that they want to avoid people wearing them once and then trying to get their money back. :glare:

It's unfortunate, because it's slim pickings around here.

Come to think of it, I don't know if you can even return store bought homecoming dresses.

Now can you alter it if she needs to have it taken in? Or do you have someone who can do this?

I do understand the no returns on homecoming and prom dresses. That is the policy everywhere I thought. To avoid the wear it once and return it.

Also if it doesn't fit do you know of anyone around you that it could fit and you can sell it to them?

I am not conservative in my dress in the slightest. But there are general guidelines to fashion. If one wants to look respectable pick one area to "show off." So for this dress to be acceptable at that length it needs to have straps at the very least, but short sleeves would be better. Or alternately strapless and a foot longer. On this model. It might be a reasonable length on your daughter.

Not being able to try it on or return it makes it a no go for sure.

Just a thought that some people don't know about. Stores like Macy's, Nordstrom's and others that have full websites, often have products online that are not available in stores. You can order the item online and then return it to the store if needed. In the case of an item, not being returnable, you can have it shipped to the store and try it on there.

This may open up some options for you.

I searched and found a place that has the same dress, $40 cheaper, they will do a custom size, and they accept returns! But read their return policy::001_huh:

:lol::lol::lol:

Return Policy

Before buy the items, all our items has descripted the measurements, and we could help you to check your size that fit you. So you should check and confirm the size and length carefully and make sure that the item size is fit for you .

We will check the size and confirm the item is perfect before shipping out all the items. When you received the item, if you find any questions, please feel free to contact us and let us know the problem.

If the dress is not fit for you, please contact us, we could refund or exchange for you. Dresses must be received back to us within 7 days of your receipt. Item must be returned in originally received condition with all packaging. Brand new condition (NO smoke scents, NO makeup stains, NO alterations).

after sales:

If the size is not fit for you, we could change the size for you with free within 45 days. The buyer should pay all shipping&handling charges.

About refund:

If you want to refund, we just refund the dress cost, not include the postage. The buyer should pay all shipping&handling charges.

Please read carefully of the following instruction, we can't refund for the following reasons:

1. the color difference

The Color may have difference upon to the computer display.

2. size difference

There may have ONE cm size difference more or less. This is reasonable for all the tailed clothing.

There may have the size difference if you measure yourself, it’s better find another people to help you measure.

Please give us the correct size upon to our company size chart: http://www.geebird.com/page.html?id=25 YOUR CONTRY SIZE MEASUREMENT MAY DIFFERENT FROM OUR COMPANY. WE NEED THE CORRECT SIZE.

3. I dislike the dress and it's not same as what I ordered.

Our dresses are custom tailed by copy the photo, so we only promise to make 90% similar of the photo. But we use the best material and excellent handcraft for each dress. If you still have questions, you can check the completed dress photo here.

button_back.gif

I hope they sew better than they write!

I would have to see it on. The model pictures often look so different from what the dress actually looks like on that I would reserve judgment until I saw it in person.

:iagree: Your daughter may have shorter legs and it might not appear to be so incredibly short on a real, live person.

Too short and too low cut for my taste.

Our dd's do not wear anything above their knees, and never anything strapless. We are probably on the extreme side of conservative.

My ds only wears shorts when playing some sports (and then they have to be at mid-kneecap or below the knee), never wears tanks tops, and wears a shirt at the beach & other swimming, so I voted no.

Edited by PentecostalMom

In the case of an item, not being returnable, you can have it shipped to the store and try it on there.

This may open up some options for you.

Great idea, thanks! How would I know what store to have it shipped to?

ETA: I probably would not order it online if there are not returns or refunds.

:iagree:I wouldn't even order one I totally approved of if there were no returns or refunds. As for that dress, I'd have to see it on, but I do think it would look adorable on a young girl. If you're young enough and have the shape to pull off a dress like that, go for it while you still can. :D

I love that party dress style, but the length is an issue. Dd and I had to go to a lot of stores to find what she wanted at a decent length. We got lucky at Ross of all places. I went there out of desperation and we found 2 dresses at 1/3 of the price.

As for your situation, I would say no because of the no returns issue.

I do understand the no returns on homecoming and prom dresses. That is the policy everywhere I thought. To avoid the wear it once and return it.

That policy makes sense to me if there's a store where you can try the dress on. When ordering online though, unless there's a brick and mortar store it can be sent to, you are taking a big risk.

Great idea, thanks! How would I know what store to have it shipped to?

I think she meant if it was a national chain. For example, if it was an online exclusive at Nordtrom's online, then you might be able to have it shipped to a brick-and-mortar Nordstrom's for your dd to try on.

No.

I would probably not make it a hill to die on, and I am willing to back off a little regarding modesty when it comes to some "special occasions" like that, but I would almost certainly refuse to finance it, for example. Too low, too short, attention screaming far more than elegant, and overall, it does not look promising to me. I would not be happy if my daughters chose to wear something like that.

I thought the same thing.

My daughter SO would not even ask. She is much more conservative than I am.

So is mine! She'd die a thousand deaths before wearing that out of the dressing room, much less to a dance.