Menu

Greek yogurt?

I wouldn't call it healthier as you trade off calcium for protein. It's different in that the watery liquid (whey) is strained off so it is thicker, creamier and sometimes tarter IME.

I like it but the price is ridiculous. Chobani is really good but not worth 1.50 for 6 oz!

I buy my yogurt from costco - plain 1% Mountain High and a 4lb container costs4 or 5 bucks! I drain off the whey and it is almost as thick as greek :)

I buy my yogurt from costco - plain 1% Mountain High and a 4lb container costs4 or 5 bucks! I drain off the whey and it is almost as thick as greek :)

Great idea- I'm going to try that! Just use cheese cloth, I assume?

With this yogurt it naturally separates and I just pour off the top every few days and scoop from the thick stuff! Different yogurts congeal differently so you may have to experiment if you use a different brand. You can do a search on the internet to see how people strain off yogurt. Cheesecloth works. I also have this which is a great contraption as long as your yogurt can hold together enough not to slip through the screen. Mine was only 15.00 over a year ago.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisipro-Yogurt-Cheesemaker/dp/B0024V7THA/ref=sr_1_7?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1310477143&sr=1-7

I like it better because it isn't as slimy as regular yogurt. In fact, it's the only kind I can eat due to the texture.

Same here. I cannot eat regular yogurt (or whipped cream or mousse or several other things) because I cannot handle the texture. Greek yogurt is thicker and creamier, and it's wonderful! It's half way between sour cream and yogurt. I wish I could make it at home because it is expensive. Anyone know of a good recipe?

Not really . . . by removing the watery stuff, Greek yogurt requires 2x the expensive stuff per ounce. So, it is only fair that the price is doubled.

Not sure what you mean, but am guessing that you are saying that "twice the solids justifies twice the price." There is a logic to that.

My slant was more to poke fun at the trendiness element, as well as to note the ease with which one can closely approximate the same food product at home with a small effort. ;)

Thanks - once in a while my grocery store's organic section will have it on manager's special (i.e. get rid of it before the expiration date) for 1/2 price. I think I'll grab a couple next time. I wonder if it freezes well?

I have a yogurt maker but I haven't used it in years. Poor lonely thing sitting in my pantry...

Thanks - once in a while my grocery store's organic section will have it on manager's special (i.e. get rid of it before the expiration date) for 1/2 price. I think I'll grab a couple next time. I wonder if it freezes well?

I have a yogurt maker but I haven't used it in years. Poor lonely thing sitting in my pantry...

It does not freeze well.

Pull out that yogurt maker! I make my own yogurt with organic 1/2 and 1/2 and sometimes whole milk. The longer you let it cook the smoother the taste - instant Greek!

Pull out that yogurt maker! I make my own yogurt with organic 1/2 and 1/2 and sometimes whole milk. The longer you let it cook the smoother the taste - instant Greek!

Recipe and cooking directions - pronto! (before I lose my enthusiasm!)

(I have a YoGourmet maker - makes up to 2 quarts - but I lost the yogurt recipe a long time ago)

I freeze our homemade regular and Greek yogurt and it's fine. I put it in ice cube trays. It is then very easy to use in smoothies. Also, I always have a starter for my next batch.:001_smile:

Recipes, ladies, I need recipes:D

Here's the easiest one I've found (and I've been using it for a couple of months now):

Get out your crockpot. Pour in half a gallon of non-ultrapasteurized milk. Cover and cook on low for 2.5 hours. Unplug for 3 hours. At that point, add in 1/2 cup plain yogurt (either purchased, or saved from the previous batch). Put the lid back on and cover with 2 towels for 4-8 hours. That's it! No temperature taking, or moving/setting it up elsewhere to incubate.

And you can use the collected whey to ferment vegetables.

Can you expand on this please? What do you do? I have 2 gallons of whey in my fridge right now.

you can make your own greek yogurt at home, even with organic milk it's cheaper than buying it

Yes! I just bought 3 gallons of organic milk for $2.49 each because they were almost past-date. I made yogurt with one and stuck two in the freezer. I get a gallon of yogurt (1/2 gallon of Greek style?) for $2.49. :001_smile:

If you want to make greek style yogurt at home, make sure to use greek style yogurt as your starter. It is the different culture as well as removal of the whey that creates the distinctive thick texture and the smooth taste. If you hang regular yogurt you will still have that distinctive 'tang'.

Greek style yogurt does use twice as much milk to make the same amount of product, that is why it has a higher price. Chobani is made here in NY (I think Fadge is as well) and it is saving NY dairy farms.

If you freeze yogurt I think it kills the culture. That is fine if all you are after is the texture etc, but if you are hoping to get those good bacteria in your system, then make sure to get in a serving of fresh yogurt. Don't use frozen yogurt as a starter for a new batch.

Here's the easiest one I've found (and I've been using it for a couple of months now):

Get out your crockpot. Pour in half a gallon of non-ultrapasteurized milk. Cover and cook on low for 2.5 hours. Unplug for 3 hours. At that point, add in 1/2 cup plain yogurt (either purchased, or saved from the previous batch). Put the lid back on and cover with 2 towels for 4-8 hours. That's it! No temperature taking, or moving/setting it up elsewhere to incubate.

Can you expand on this please? What do you do? I have 2 gallons of whey in my fridge right now.

Yes! I just bought 3 gallons of organic milk for $2.49 each because they were almost past-date. I made yogurt with one and stuck two in the freezer. I get a gallon of yogurt (1/2 gallon of Greek style?) for $2.49. :001_smile:

I've tried the crockpot recipe twice and it's come out as liquid both times. I used 2% milk but added powdered milk as a thickening agent. Total failure both times! Do you use whole milk??

I believe it it comes out as liquid then it didn't get hot enough at first or was too hot when the culture was added. Either the proteins didn't coagulate or the culture was killed by the heat...or it could have not been hot enough and the culture didn't do it's job.

Seems easier just to get a candy thermometer and take the temp.

Gelatin? Like milk jello? :lol:

I use whole milk.

You can also add a packet of gelatin to it.

I do both of these things. And yes, it's still runnier than store bought plain yogurt (but not completely liquid like milk). I have a gallon in the fridge now and think I'm going to strain the whey to see how much is left after.

Sure! It's sort of like making pickled veggies.

Here's one for carrots http://www.thenourishinggourmet.com/2010/08/lacto-fermented-dilly-carrot-sticks.html

and here's one with some more recipes. I plan on trying the cortido soon

http://www.nourishingdays.com/2009/07/the-benefits-of-fermented-food-lacto-fermented-vegetables/

If you want "real" Greek yogurt it has to be made from Sheep's milk. We have a shop here in Los Angeles that imports real Sheep milk yogurt from Greece and nothing compares. The Cow's milk versions are very good, but if you ever get a chance to try the real deal don't pass up the opportunity.

Bill

How do you strain the yogurt? I need details!!! :)

Well, see the post above yours.

Or, line a colander with a double layer of cheesecloth and set it in your sink for about...8 hours. The whey drips out and makes the yogurt thick.

I just put the cheesecloth flat on the counter and put the yogurt in the middle. I gather the cheesecloth up by the four corners and tie them together. I just loop the cheesecloth over the kitchen faucet and let it hang.

It can hang or be in the colander at room temp for a long time, I have done 24 hours, and won't (or shouldn't) go bad. Yogurt is a way of preserving milk, after all. The longer it hangs the thicker it gets, but the less product you have at the end. Water is a large part of the volume of yogurt and when you remove it there isn't much left.

You know those strainers that have hooks on the opposite side from the handle so you can suspend them over a bowl? I use one of those with a round bottomed coffee filter in it, over an 8 cup measuring bowl. I find that I can do this out on the counter. In an overnight or long afternoon time period, the draining is sufficient for the yogurt cheese to pull away from the filter and not stick to it.

I use the whey in soups--it gives a more complex, rich flavor than water or even milk.

I like to take the yogurt cheese and put chopped mint and shallots in it and eat it with pita bread.

Can anyone recommend a particular brand of Greek yogurt that would have full fat? I tried some last week, and it was very good tasting and had lots of protein, but it had zero fat :glare:.

Fage has a full fat as well as zero and 2%.

Greek yoghurt is so heavenly! I pretend it is ice cream. Addicted, completely.

I use muslin (a piece of old clean cotton sheet). Put yoghurt inside, gather cloth, tie with string, hang from spout in kitchen skin with bowl underneath or (alternately) place bundle in colander resting in large bowl in fridge.

If you squeeze the bundle well and really let the yogurt drain you will get Lebneh (Lebni) which is sometimes called "yogurt cheese", which is a popular spread in the Arab Levant that has a similar consistency to cream cheese.

Bill

If you freeze yogurt I think it kills the culture. That is fine if all you are after is the texture etc, but if you are hoping to get those good bacteria in your system, then make sure to get in a serving of fresh yogurt. Don't use frozen yogurt as a starter for a new batch.

From everything I've read, freezing doesn't kill the culture. It becomes dormant, but returns to 'normal' when it's back to room temp.

I've also used the frozen cubes as a starter and haven't had any problems.:001_smile:

If you have other sources, please let me know. We have an abundance of goat milk and my dc live on yogurt, esp during the summer.

The nifty thing about The Wave is that it goes right back in the fridge, no mess or drips and you can scoop the stuff right out of it, and not have to transfer to another container. When I had a hubby who ate dairy, it was very useful.

Is is a food?

We love Greek yogurt and have been eating it for years. We live in Germany though where it's always just been there. Is it now a trend in the States? I feel so left out. Or maybe ahead? I don't know.

Now, if they just sold quark in the US, I'd be in heaven when we move back.

Quark Is a fresh cheese.

Take regular yogurt and decrease the water content.

Result ?

Sharply jacked-up profits and a catchy name.

:001_smile:

Couldn't you say the same for regular yogurt? A quart of yogurt costs about as much as a gallon of milk, at my local stores.

I was listening to Gordon Edgar on the Splendid Table last weekend (he's a punk rocker turned cheesemonger) and he was explaining why cheese (and other dairy products I imagine) are helpful to farmers because they can set their own price.

My mom is a fan of Russian yogurt. I don't have a clue what the difference is but I tried it once and was not a fan. But I wanted to be one. What makes it distinctive? It was Pavel's.

Some labnes you buy, btw, Bill, are mixed cow and goat (? Or sheep?) milk, I've noticed. I once had a Syrian acquaintance who is fanatical about homemade yogurt try to explain how not to have watery yogurt, but I never really understood.

Edited by stripe

We love Greek yogurt and have been eating it for years. We live in Germany though where it's always just been there. Is it now a trend in the States? I feel so left out. Or maybe ahead? I don't know.

Now, if they just sold quark in the US, I'd be in heaven when we move back.

I looove quark! For a short period of time, it was being sold in our local co-op and then it just went away. I still miss it.