Menu

Scholastic and Subway Story Contest not open to home schooled children!

Hi Everyone,

I just received an e-mail from scholastic about a contest they and Subway are having.

It is a writing contest in which home schooled children are not able to participate.

I was very upset!!!:mad:

So I sent an e-mail to scholastic. It read:

To whom it may concern,

My home schooled children love Scholastic books and Subway sandwiches. So I was very disappointed that Scholastic and Subway have decided to discriminate against home schooled children by not allowing them in the story contest.

The contest could have been done on a individual bases instead grouping the children in with a school. This could have allowed all children to enjoy your fine contest.

Again, I'm very disappointed with Scholastic and Subway.

Sincerely,

My name

I sent the e-mail to: P&CConnects@scholastic.com or CConnects@scholastic.com I was unclear which it was so I sent to both.

For more info on the contest go to: http://www.subwayfreshbuzz.com/kids/

Click on the box at the bottom of the page for the Sandwich Story Contest.

If you feel the way I do please e-mail Subway or Scholastic and let them know!

Home schooled children should have the same opportunities as school children.

Thank you.

OK, this is what I wrote:

I just read online that Subway and Scholastic are not accepting contest submissions from homeschoolers?

I'm truly hoping this must be an error. Our local homeschool group regularly submits Scholastic book orders, as do many others, and we have been attending your warehouse sales as homeschoolers for years. Obviously, some branches of Scholastic are very happy to embrace the pocketbooks of home educators, so I would hope our children can fully participate in your contests as well.

And homeschool children certainly eat just as much as those in public or parochial schools! Both my kids love Subway... and there is great disappointment that thier writing is unworthy of your consideration. According to the US Department of Education, in 2003 (the year for which the most recent data is available) there were 1.1 million homeschoolers in the US, a 29% increase in the previous 4 years. That's over 2 percent of students in 2003, and that number has grown since. http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/oii/nonpublic/statistics.html#homeschl

That's a lot of current and future customers to insult and antagonize...

Kay (name)

(location)

This stuff ticks me off to no end... let's not let them forget we're out here spending our money!

I have heard things about Scholastic representatives being rude to homeschool mothers while on the phone making orders. They also will not allow you to sign up with their teacher program as a homeschool teacher. (I don't buy from them, so I'm not sure what the program is.) If they are not careful, they will be in the same boat that Sprint is in when their next quarterly sales information comes out! I think that we should all write letters about this. Can you imagine what would happen if those 1.1+ million families all sent letters in?

I haven't sent an email/letter yet, mainly because I'm too dumbfounded to express myself clearly. Like I told my dh...they may as well have said no minorities, or no women, or no men....or no public schoolers. It's about as valid. Did they not see the potential for harm?

I don't insist that I be able to take part in everything. Some things are obviously for certain groups. For example, I'm not a plumber. I have no problem with being excluded from a contest on pipe fitting, or a special interest club about p-traps.:D

However, any school child...whatever the schooling situation, is taught to write. Therefore, any school child should be allowed to participate in a public writing contest geared to their age. I would feel differently if it was a 4h contest, for 4h members, or something similar. That is a contest within a specific club, not an open to the general public (oops, except for you) venue.

And I just ate at Subway twice today! :glare::glare::glare:

Once at lunch, and the girl behind the counter said to my friend, "Oh, are all the kids out of school now?" And my friend told her that we homeschooled ... wish I'd known about this then!!

Then tonight with my dh while ds was at his fencing lesson.

Hmmm, I may just start looking for another fast dining alternative!

Carol

As Angela pointed out, $5000 worth of athletic equipment will be given to the winner's school. I imagine the companies are trying to support more exercise and activity for children whose schools are struggling to pay for anything but the essentials.

If that's the case, I think they are doing a great thing for our nation's children, and I'll buy my own jump rope.

Business is business. They're allowed to spend advertising funds as they deem necessary. Not everyone believes in the validity of homeschooling. That's fine by me as I don't necessarily believe Jarod really lost 100 pounds only eating Subway sandwiches. Go ahead and give him the $5000 for fitness equipment. (just kidding)

Seriously, it's a rude ruling, but the companies do have the right to determine how to perform their contests. I'll skip Subway and eat elsewhere. Like I said "(my) business is (my) business"...and my money spends just as well at any other restaurant.

Yes, they can spend advertising funds as they deem necessary, but lots of homeschooler spend there money on scholastic books and at subway so they would be smart to try and make as many customers as happy as they can.

And the money they would spend on prized could have been switched to something to suit a group, community or town instead of a school.

The bottom line for any advertisement is to make money and excluding any group of people is not a smart move for any company.

This is not about a particular store but a complaint about the Subway Sandwich Story Contest and how Subway has decided to discriminate against parents who use their legal right to education their own children at home.

"Contest is open only to legal US residents, over the age of 18 with children in either elementary, private or parochial schools that serve grades PreK-6. No home schools will be accepted. "

Why is my child any less deserving of having her entry considered? As a parent I am involved in my child's life, including the decision of what to eat. Although we love Subway's food, I cannot ignore this discriminatory action and will no longer be patrons as we have for the last 10 years on a regular basis.

I am saddened that any child's academic efforts would not "be accepted". I would appreciate a response as to why homeschooled children's entries are not being accepted. This will not go unnoticed.

Sincerely,

Jessica (last name)

I am seeking any and all Subway corporate email addresses to send it to. I cannot believe this.

I just don't think we, homeschoolers as a group, are entitled to everything public schools are entitled to.

They have stuff we don't get, but we choose this life.

There are plenty of things that are open to homeschoolers. This doesn't seem worth worrying about to me.

What it does say, according to the rules, is that it is open to private schools. What about the states where homeschools are authorized as "private" schools? I'm not too fond of Scholastic for some of the other reasons that have been listed here, but looks like I won't be rushing to Subway anytime soon either.

Gee, maybe i won't be going to the Warehouse sale tomorrow.

Well, I will, but express my displeasure to them..... i'm on a roll with customer service the last few weeks.

You need to address this type of issue with the people it matters to. A person working at a warehouse sale is not the person you should unload on, it won't accomplish anything other than give you a sense that you "did" something when really you didn't other than making the warehouse employee's day a little worse for wear.

At the warehouse sale, get the contact information for the person with the highest title they know of.

Edited to add: Here's the contact information for some type of headquarters not sure it's the *right* one but it's better than making someone's day worse.

cs_HQbanner.gif

There are plenty of things that are open to homeschoolers. This doesn't seem worth worrying about to me.

I'm with you, Kelli. I don't feel discriminated against, and I don't feel as if my children's accomplishments are not being recognized.

There are plenty of avenues for homeschoolers to show off their children's writing skills.

I don't feel as if my children's accomplishments are not being recognized.

There are plenty of avenues for homeschoolers to show off their children's writing skills.

I totally agree! ~ I don't feel as if my children accomplishments are not being recognized, and their are plenty of other avenues for homeschoolers to show off their writing skills.

But why should I quietly accept that a company excludes my children form privileges when I spend so many of my hard earned dollars on their products.

They make millions because of homeschoolers. The least they can do is allow for them to be included.

Will I loose sleep over it or let it upset my day? No Way!!

But I can still let my feeling known.

So, they only want to give their $5K worth of athletic equipment to a public or private school. I see no problem there. Why would any homeschool think they're entitled to enter every contest that public school kids can enter? Why would any homeschool think they need $5K of athletic equipment?

I'll be sending my own letter in to make sure that Subway and Scholastic know that as a homeschooler I appreciate their efforts to ameliorate the conditions of public school children, and to let them know that as a homeschooler, I enjoy their products and will continue to do so for years to come. :D

I totally agree with part of your statement!!

But why should I quietly accept that a company excludes my children form privileges when I spend so many of my hard earned dollars on there products.

They make millions because of homeschoolers. The least they can do is allow for them to be included.

Will I loose sleep over it or let it upset my day? No Way!!

But I can still let my feeling known.

I am certainly not asking you to 'quietly accept' anything. I am simply adding my opinion to the discussion.

I just don't think it is important for my children to be included in each and every activity/contest/competition. If they are excluded because they are homeschooled, male, white, Christian or anything else, we'll just find another activity/contest/competition. sorry.gif

The prize money could easily be used by a homeschool group or, if they are really determined that a *school* get it, then they could allow hsers to enter and to select a school to which to donate the prize.

Or a local park, to be used by ALL children in the community!

In the state of Texas, homeschooling is legally a private school. It says the contest is open to all in ps, private, and parochial schools. So, I wonder how they would handle a bunch of homeschoolers, aka, private school children, from TX, entering their little contest? Hmmmmm... (insert big evil grin)

I'm going to go against the grain here. Like Kelly said, we chose to homeschool, it's not mainstream and I don't feel entitlted to programs offered to kids in public/private school. It's a whole different set of circumstances. Whether I think public or private school is the best choice, I don't believe homeschoolers deserve an exception.

Or a local park, to be used by ALL children in the community!

or a $5K donation of health equipment to any other non-profit organization.....

I did send a letter, because, well, I can :)

i certainly don't think homeschoolers NEED to be included in everything, but if I can voice an opinion and encourage a company TO include them, more power to me :D ...and THEM!!!

---------

Hi-

I was just made aware of the student writing contest excluding homeschoolers.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29032

While i agree that you are a private business and can spend your money how you wish, I do hope you offer another contest that includes Homeschoolers. Several ideas have been mentioned on the site above. In the meantime, I imagine there will be plenty of homeschoolers upset enough that they'll cost you at least the amount that you are offering as the cost of the prizes. i plan on refraining from spending my money at Subway until the contest is over June 30th.

Thanks.

We're considered private schools, too, and we have some well-organized team sports that could certainly make use of the equipment, and $5,000 would go a long way towards supporting our sports program, maybe even expanding it. Many cities have organizations such as this for homeschool team sports. Why couldn't we earn the reward, based on our children's merits?

I agree that we don't need to be automatically included in everything available to traditional schools, especially when it comes to things like this (although I solved the problem of the sports equipment), but I worry more about the precedent. It's only because a big ruckus has been made in the past that we're even allowed to enter anything, and it wasn't all that long ago. I'll be writing my letter tomorrow.

Maybe they are afraid that if homeschoolers are allowed to participate in this contest it will just be yet another venue for homeschoolers to dominate, i.e. spelling bees. I'm sort of joking....but maybe not...:001_rolleyes:

I agree that if we don't agree with a company's policy then we should protest with our letters and withholding our dollars! I will write my letter tomorrow. Sheesh, it won't be too hard to boycott Scholastic. Trying to find a non-twaddly book in their little booklets is like trying to find a needle in a haystack (at least for the ages I shop for).

I have heard things about Scholastic representatives being rude to homeschool mothers while on the phone making orders. They also will not allow you to sign up with their teacher program as a homeschool teacher.

I have contacted Scholastic by phone numerous times, and have always found them to be professional and helpful.

Our homeschool group has been ordering from them for years. I am the coordinator, and have never had a problem with them.

Maybe they are afraid that if homeschoolers are allowed to participate in this contest it will just be yet another venue for homeschoolers to dominate, i.e. spelling bees.

That was the first thing that came to my mind. You know, that same, old "unfair advantage" argument...:glare:

An academic contest with ANY prize should be open to all students regardless of where they go to school.

It's not about the prize, homeschoolers were singled out instead of saying that the athletic equipment would go the the public/private school of their choosing. The prize does not matter here, it's the opportunity to participate that they stripped away. It does matter.

You need to address this type of issue with the people it matters to. A person working at a warehouse sale is not the person you should unload on, it won't accomplish anything other than give you a sense that you "did" something when really you didn't other than making the warehouse employee's day a little worse for wear.

At the warehouse sale, get the contact information for the person with the highest title they know of.

Edited to add: Here's the contact information for some type of headquarters not sure it's the *right* one but it's better than making someone's day worse.

cs_HQbanner.gif

Ummm, that is what i meant. Expressing it to them in writing.

My Warehouse is a big one - my orders are filled, i was harassed there for signing up and all that. I probably COULD easily talk to a manager there and get info as to whom to speak with regarding it - you have to walk thru their offices to get to the sale.

I will write my letter tomorrow. Sheesh, it won't be too hard to boycott Scholastic. Trying to find a non-twaddly book in their little booklets is like trying to find a needle in a haystack (at least for the ages I shop for).

:iagree:

Somehow, I am off their mailing list. Yea!! It's so rare that I found anything of value in their catalogs.

K

An academic contest with ANY prize should be open to all students regardless of where they go to school.

It's not about the prize, homeschoolers were singled out instead of saying that the athletic equipment would go the the public/private school of their choosing. The prize does not matter here, it's the opportunity to participate that they stripped away. It does matter.

I agree. You stated what I was thinking much more clearly that I was able to.:D Thanks.

Well... Prior to reading the entry form, I didn't expect to be irritated at all. However, reading it there in black and white has me a bit peaked.

I'm like Kelli, knowing we choose another path, and don't expect to be included in everything. Then again, I'm going to chew on this a while.

WHY should it be open to all students? It's a business they're running and have no moral obligations to your child or any child other than to serve food in a sanity environment. Find a competition elsewhere.

By homeschooling you've chosen to buck conventionality and sometimes there are negative ramifications to it. DCs don't get to write in one contest. Why fuss about it? It's not a big deal.

Have them write to a state legislator, president of favorite company, etc. It will probably be more gratifying.

Nothing in life is equitable, but it is always fair. (Family rule #2 in our home)

WHY should it be open to all students? It's a business they're running and have no moral obligations to your child or any child other than to serve food in a sanity environment. Find a competition elsewhere.

By homeschooling you've chosen to buck conventionality and sometimes there are negative ramifications to it. DCs don't get to write in one contest. Why fuss about it? It's not a big deal.

Have them write to a state legislator, president of favorite company, etc. It will probably be more gratifying.

Nothing in life is equitable, but it is always fair. (Family rule #2 in our home)

I don't believe it to be, in a legal sense, discriminatory.

I do, however, find it to be poor business.

Homeschoolers buy and use a lot of scholastic books.

Many homeschoolers eat at Subway.

You'd think they'd want to be responsive to those revenues. As such, I think communicating that, as a homeschooling family, we'd like to be able to participate is appropriate. Choosing to remove my dollars from their profit is appropriate.

This is not an "entitlement" issue for me. Nor is it one of demanding, expecting equal access. It's not even one where I expect homeschooling to be mainstreamed.

But I do expect companies to, in their own best interest, cater to their best sources of income. Large families and large buyers of books should have some corporate meaning to the entities we are discussing.

I'm glad you are comfortable with your position on this issue. I am comfortable with mine because I do not feel that because homeschoolers are using their legal right to educate their children at home they should be discriminated against in any of their academic pursuits. There are times that nothing can be done because the discrimination is not black and white as it is in this case.

Yes, we have chosen the road less traveled but that does not mean we should accept the discrimination of others and not try to be proactive when we can to shed light on the fact that a student is a student, no matter where they learn and dispel misconceptions about homeschooling in general. Subway/Scholastic could have accepted homeschoolers entries and just added a stipulation that the athletic funds would go toward an academic institution for PreK-6 of their choosing.

"Nothing in life is equitable, but it is always fair."

I'm sorry, life is not always fair (marked by impartiality and honesty : free from self-interest, prejudice, or favoritism) and I agree certainly not equitable. Changes are made because people are willing to speak up, protest and be proactive not because they accept the hand dealt to them.

Is this a hill to die on? No.

Is it worth attention and protest? In my opinion, yes.

Will I obsess about this beyond making my protest known? No.

We're considered private schools, too,

I agree that we don't need to be automatically included in everything available to traditional schools . . . but I worry more about the precedent. It's only because a big ruckus has been made in the past that we're even allowed to enter anything, and it wasn't all that long ago. I'll be writing my letter tomorrow.

:iagree:

I just don't think we, homeschoolers as a group, are entitled to everything public schools are entitled to.

They have stuff we don't get, but we choose this life.

I agree. While I don't think it's the wisest choice on their part to exclude anyone, I'm not upset or offended.

Are there age limits on the contest? Those things are in place for accountability & I think the hs'ing exclusion probably is, too.

Subway is a franchised operation, isn't it? I'd hate to see the nice fellow that runs our local franchise, and is supportive of lots of youth activities in the area, penalized because of a decision by some legal glop at the firm running their contest.

I agree. While I don't think it's the wisest choice on their part to exclude anyone, I'm not upset or offended.

Are there age limits on the contest? Those things are in place for accountability & I think the hs'ing exclusion probably is, too.

Subway is a franchised operation, isn't it? I'd hate to see the nice fellow that runs our local franchise, and is supportive of lots of youth activities in the area, penalized because of a decision by some legal glop at the firm running their contest.

Here's your sign!:iagree:

I have heard things about Scholastic representatives being rude to homeschool mothers while on the phone making orders. They also will not allow you to sign up with their teacher program as a homeschool teacher. (I don't buy from them, so I'm not sure what the program is.) If they are not careful, they will be in the same boat that Sprint is in when their next quarterly sales information comes out! I think that we should all write letters about this. Can you imagine what would happen if those 1.1+ million families all sent letters in?

Ummm.....I am registered in their Teacher Program as a homeschool teacher. I receive emails monthly with some really cool pdf documents and I am free to select from all grade levels and order from the Teacher Store. I have never had anyone (at Scholastic or anywhere) be rude to me or treat me differently because I homeschool.

Maybe it has to do with your state's homeschool laws:confused:? In Texas, all homeschools are considered private schools.

While I don't agree that homeschool students should be left out of any contest for school children, I do believe that we should all remember that our local Subway's are most likely owned by a local family that supports local youth events/activities and that we really hurt our local area when we boycott...small local boycotts would not even be a blip on the corporate level.

Please remember the local families that you would be hurting with a boycott. You will have the most effect by emailing and mailing the corporate offices of both Scholastic and Subway...not by boycotting your local Subway.

While I don't agree that homeschool students should be left out of any contest for school children, I do believe that we should all remember that our local Subway's are most likely owned by a local family that supports local youth events/activities and that we really hurt our local area when we boycott...small local boycotts would not even be a blip on the corporate level.

Please remember the local families that you would be hurting with a boycott. You will have the most effect by emailing and mailing the corporate offices of both Scholastic and Subway...not by boycotting your local Subway.

I kinda disagree w/ this --

money not coming in gets people's attentions. The owners of the local franchise will have more say and get more attention at the corporate level than little ol' me.

I certainly don't expect to boycott Subway for very long, lol, but i will let them [local] know that my $20 won't be spent at Subway, and why. If they see it as a loss, they can communicate that fact to the corporate office. If they are content in accepting that loss, then apparently it's not that big a deal.

On the flip side, my money not spent at Subway will be spent at ANOTHER local franchise, helping THEM locally. It evens out.

It seems to me to be a clear case that the company wants to do something for the schools that so desperately need it. So Subway & Scholastic want to do something for schools, why should the homeshooling community be insulted? How is this any different from homeschool-centered contests that school system kids are excluded from? I doubt seriously that Subway created this contest to actively discriminate against or insult the homeschooling community.

As for boycotting local Subways or griping at the employees who answer the phone....it's not the employees' or the franchisees' faults and there is nothing they can do and it only insults them and/or hurts their business. It's a corporate issue, take it up with the corporations who are in a position to do something about your issue.

I just see the actions of Subway and Scholastic as making it harder for homeschoolers to gain acceptance in the general public. I don't think homeschoolers should be discriminated against in activities and contests period.

I definately think it would be worth writing or calling to let them know how you feel about their actions.

I also don't consider homeschooling a lifestyle choice. Parents have the right and duty to educate their children. The government says that under the law we must educate our children. Whether you chose to do it yourself or assign that task to others, you should recieve support and/or approval from the community, businesses and the government.

I sent an email to another Scholastic contest that didn't say anything about homeschoolers one way or the other, and got a reply back already this morning:

Dear Kay,

I can only speak to the Scholastic Book Fairs' Kids Are Authors contest, but we do indeed accept entries from homeschoolers. If there book should win the contest, the $5,000 voucher in product must be awarded to a non-profit organization of their choice as we can not award prizes to individual families. Please see our website for our complete entry form, guidelines and regulations.

That makes total sense to me... I'm not saying that a huge prize shouldn't go to a whole school of children (or co-op, or NPO group), but that individual children should be allowed to compete. Clearly other departments of Scholastic agree... so why the "no homeschoolers"?

It isn't about "entitlement". It's about customer service!

I sent an email to another Scholastic contest that didn't say anything about homeschoolers one way or the other, and got a reply back already this morning:

Dear Kay,

I can only speak to the Scholastic Book Fairs' Kids Are Authors contest, but we do indeed accept entries from homeschoolers. If there book should win the contest, the $5,000 voucher in product must be awarded to a non-profit organization of their choice as we can not award prizes to individual families. Please see our website for our complete entry form, guidelines and regulations.

It isn't about "entitlement". It's about customer service!

LOL at the grammar error, "there" not "their". I'm not usually one to point out that type of thing, but this one is just funny, considering the source.

Subway can make decisions anyway they want abotu who to let enter their contests. I can also make my decisions, likewise. I submitted a complaint to Subway and told them that although I have frequently ate at their establishments (more frequently than other fast foods but not overly frequently), I would have to reconsider changing my ways. No, I do not think that anyone should be discriminating against my children for being homeschooled and if they do, I will consider my future purchases or business in that light. We would have no problems not winning the athletic equipment or giving it to a local school or community center. They can make a disclaimer that the equipment only go to an institution but the individual prizes should go to the students.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mommy2BeautifulGirls viewpost.gif

Ummm.....I am registered in their Teacher Program as a homeschool teacher. I receive emails monthly with some really cool pdf documents and I am free to select from all grade levels and order from the Teacher Store. I have never had anyone (at Scholastic or anywhere) be rude to me or treat me differently because I homeschool.

I'm just relaying what I have read before on another board. As I stated above, I know nothing about this, as I do not buy from Scholastic, and have not since I purchased the My First Winnie the Pooh collection almost 4 years ago. Maybe this was more of an employee issue with homeschooling, rather than a company issue.