Menu

What do you tell your kids about princess Leia in the gold bikini...

in Return of the Jedi?

My kids are 5- 13 yo.

I am super protective/restrictive in our movie watching. I just decided that we should all watch star wars - the original movie. Of course they all loved it and now they want to watch the other 2 "to find out what happens to darth vader!":D

Which is fine, except I don't know what to say about the whole Leia as an exotic dancer thing. They have no idea about that sort of stuff in real life. How do I explain why they would have her dressed like that? Without ruining a lot of innocence? I should have thought this through first. But now I'm kind of stuck. Any good ideas? The little ones, I can just gloss it over, but the older 2 - it's going to seem really weird to them.

And please don't give me a hard time for sheltering my kids. It's such a sick world - I'm doing the best I can.

Thanks!

Honestly, until this post, it never dawned on me that she was an exotic dancer for Jabba.:tongue_smilie: If that were it, I figure she'd be topless.:lol:

She is in a bikini because it is a fictional movie and the fictional Jabba made her. Or, it is the preferred costume of slaves women in that culture.

What do you tell them when they see a woman in a bikini in real life?

ETA: When I saw it when I was a kid, it never jumped out at me that she was wearing a bikini.

I would probably not bring it up. I don't think my kids have noticed, at least not enough to make mention of it (it's been a while since they've seen it). If my kids did mention of it, I would explain that she was Jabba's slave and many times cruel slave owners do things to humiliate their slaves, including making them dress in inappropriate clothing and keeping them chained.

Edited by mandymom

When they see bikinis in real life it is at the beach. Not chained to a giant slug in an underground lair. :D

However, I do see the point that maybe the kids will just take it as part of the costuming, I don't know - it's hard to remember how I looked at things when I was a kid, but it just seems so bizarre, kwim?:tongue_smilie:

My kids have never asked. If they do ask I'll talk about how Jabba is illustrating his power over her by making her dress in a revealing way, which is not her usual choice of dress.

The exotic dancer thing never crossed my mind.

When I was a kid I always linked the bikini to the "beach." :lol: (They went out to the desert and I guess the sand made me think of the beach... so of course the bikini fit in. I never asked about it.)

When they see bikinis in real life it is at the beach. Not chained to a giant slug in an underground lair. :D

However, I do see the point that maybe the kids will just take it as part of the costuming, I don't know - it's hard to remember how I looked at things when I was a kid, but it just seems so bizarre, kwim?:tongue_smilie:

Isn't Tatooine just a giant planet sized beach?

We loved Star Wars when I was little and I never thought twice about it until watching the Friends episode about it as an adult. I came from a family that sheltered us extensively but I guess I just figured that is what his slaves wore.

OK, you guys are making me feel a lot better. Thanks for the feedback. I guess I have to try harder to remember that kids just don't notice things they way we do. Don't even get me started on all the songs I used to sing along with that when I hear them now, I think "I had NO IDEA what I was singing!" thank goodness.

So I guess we'll just act like it's normal to be wearing a bikini chained to a giant slug in an underground lair on a desert planet in a galaxy far far away a long time ago. :D

Oh! I remember walking into the room when my children were watching that scene and screaming, "WHAT are you watching???!!!" I saw a woman in chains with lots of skin showing--and that's not the type of thing I let my children watch.

You could say something like "Jabba is very bad and he is mean to make Princess Leia wear that and do those things. He'll get what he deserves from her if you keep watching, but you might want to cover your eyes because it's gross."

Or you could strategically make popcorn and lure them away from watching the tv during that scene.

Enjoy the rest of the movie.

:lurk5:

OK, you guys are making me feel a lot better. Thanks for the feedback. I guess I have to try harder to remember that kids just don't notice things they way we do. Don't even get me started on all the songs I used to sing along with that when I hear them now, I think "I had NO IDEA what I was singing!" thank goodness.

So I guess we'll just act like it's normal to be wearing a bikini chained to a giant slug in an underground lair on a desert planet in a galaxy far far away a long time ago. :D

I agree. I really can only imagine one's wardrobe is limited when one is chained to a giant slug. Probably either the bikini or the French maid's costume. Personally I'd opt for the bikini. French maid is so cliche.

I would probably not bring it up. I don't think my kids have noticed, at least not enough to make mention of it (it's been a while since they've seen it). If my kids did mention of it, I would explain that she was Jabba's slave and many times cruel slave owners do things to humiliate their slaves, including making them dress in inappropriate clothing and keeping them chained.

That's what I told my son.

My son noticed it and asked why she was wearing such a impractical outfit. He couldn't see how it was good for anything, ... No armor protection, ... "if jabba is going to keep her as a slave like that he must be using her as a hostage/shield. So she should be wearing lots of armor so blasts and knives and stuff wouldn't be able to go through her and hurt him. I don't think jabba thought it out very well."

mandymom, I've seen you post a couple of times now and wished you lived closer, as I have five children the same genders as yours and almost the exact same ages!

My son noticed it and asked why she was wearing such a impractical outfit. He couldn't see how it was good for anything, ... No armor protection, ... "if jabba is going to keep her as a slave like that he must be using her as a hostage/shield. So she should be wearing lots of armor so blasts and knives and stuff wouldn't be able to go through her and hurt him. I don't think jabba thought it out very well."

:lol: You've a sharp one there, mom.

I saw the movie when I was a kid, and I never gave the outfit a second thought. I think you're thinking this through with your adult viewpoint - not through the eyes/mind of a child. I'd let the scene play out w/o any sort of reaction on your part at all. Most likely the kids won't question her outfit.

A more pressing question in my mind has always been, "Why would Leia be attractive, bikini-clad or not, to a giant sentient slug?"

Should Jabba not be rather repelled by Leia's lack of sliminess? I just wouldn't think she'd be his type at all. Too much vertebrate movement going on there.

Edited by Aelwydd

Wow, no one is recommending hitting the fast-forward button? I mean seriously, I remember being seriously quirked out by those scenes as a kid. I don't even see the need. Lots less details in all fashion to work through that on fast forward. Or you know, oops the machine turned off and now we'll use our scene select to get back to where we need to be (one scene forward). ;)

I tell my kids it's a swim suit. My four year old is so weird about stuff like this. When he first started talking, the first time he saw someone out in shorts he started pointing and screaming "naked!" He wants his shirts buttoned up to his neck because people will see his chest. And he cried the first time I got shorts out for him this summer because he was afraid people would think he was wearing underwear. But...he really likes girls. He thinks all girls are just beautiful...big, little, any skin tone, any hair style...they are all just beautiful. And he does notice when they are scantily clad. My five year old wouldn't notice if his life depended on it. So, my four year old definitely noticed Leia and talked about that scene a lot. I just told him she was wearing her swim suit and left it at that.

We loved Star Wars when I was little and I never thought twice about it until watching the Friends episode about it as an adult. I came from a family that sheltered us extensively but I guess I just figured that is what his slaves wore.

:lol: No kidding. My dh said that was a very memorable scene for all teen boys at the time. Very memorable. :D Every other man I've asked about it has agreed.

:lol: No kidding. My dh said that was a very memorable scene for all teen boys at the time. Very memorable. :D Every other man I've asked about it has agreed.

I guess I should ask dh about it. He wouldn't have been a teenager, but older than my kids. I could totally see him being like my 5 year old, though, and completely oblivious...more concerned about what color light saber someone had at the moment or something. :)

WORD. We have a Star Wars ROOM. No kidding. Dh and I were almost 4yo when the first movie came out, it is one of his first memories of life. I could go on, but I would bore myself, because I don't even freaking like the movies....but I do own a gold bikini. :lol:

OTOH, I have never given a thought to that scene when my own kids have watched it. Honestly, they see more exposed female skin at our HOA pool on a weekday than Carrie Fisher ever bares in a movie.

A more pressing question in my mind has always been, "Why would Leia be attractive, bikini-clad or not, to a giant sentient slug?"

Should Jabba not be rather repelled by Leia's lack of sliminess? I just wouldn't think she'd be his type at all. Too much vertebrate movement going on there.

:001_huh::lol:

Oh man, you guys are too funny! vertebrates:D

Yeah, fast forward would never really work - they always want to rewatch movies a zillion times and I can't always catch stuff. Plus, it would definitely draw more attention to the issue, not less.

And yes, it makes sense that my kids in their semi-innocence will not attach a sexual meaning to the whole thing, but I KNOW that the implications have had a whole different take for a few generations of teenage boys at this point. Believe, me it doesn't go over THEIR heads.

the first time is saw that movie, I thought wow, she is really thin.

Same here. Call me naive but... I always thought Jabba made her dress like that because he wanted an attractive slave next to him and as a sign of power -like owning a Ferrari. I didn't realise she was supposed to do anything sexual for Jabba (dancing or who knows what else). Oh, no... I think this thread has just spoiled that SW movie forever... :tongue_smilie:

See honey, back in my day even beautiful actresses had jiggly bodies.

:lol:

Really, she's a slave. Have your children learned about slavery? Well, there's a good lesson. She's a captive and a slave. No need to get into sex or anything. He's mean and only lets her wear her under clothes.

I very clearly remember her "very pretty" clothes from when I watched the movie as a kid. I always thought she looked so pretty, like She-Ra. :) I never had an interest in slinky clothes as a teenager and I am a pretty conservative dresser, so I don't think it did any long term damage. But I did love it and thought it was the best outfit.

We recently showed the movie to our kids and my 4 year old boy was very quick to notice. He told me that night at dinner that Jabba captured Leia and took all her clothes away, but she got her clothes back when she was rescued. He said it very matter of factly and that was that. As an aside, all of my kids are still SO innocent and have no sense of nakedness or modesty--not sure how much that played into his reaction, but he certainly did notice.