Menu

Feeling Ripped Off (Kids Books)

So, took the kids to Indigo today.

I just about passed out/threw up while we were there.

I can NOT believe the prices of children's books! Seriously! Most titles are only in hard cover, they don't carry the same in paper back...and I am NOT paying $16.99 to 18.99 for a kid's book! "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" was $16.99. Another book from an author Princess likes was $18.99.

These aren't novels or anything for pity sakes! Children's books!

No wonder so many families don't have an extensive library! Who could afford it?

I've been in a long habit of buying books 2nd hand online. I have a few ppl that I consistently buy from in Canada. I just figured that taking them to a book store would be fun.

Yeah, great fun, until Mommy almost hyperventilates and passes out from the flipping prices!

We settled on some leveled readers for $6.99 each. Good grief.

There's no 2nd hand book store within walking distance from us. The one by my Drs has a piddly kid section.

ARGH!

I totally agree with you.

No way am I paying 15 bucks for a book that someone will likely leave out in the rain or possibly color in.

Here in TN, we have the Dolly Parton Imagination foundation that sends kids under 5 a free book each month. This is how we've built our library.

That and yard sales.

Dude...paperbackswap.com Loves it.

Last I heard, that doesn't work for Canada.

Plus, we're in the midst of a postal strike. No mail.

I wanted my kids to have the chance to handle different books, pick out their choices, kwim?

I just find it disgusting that the prices are so high. And, as I mentioned, only hard cover versions available of 'classics'. Paperback was more Disney/Barbie/Fisher Price/Cartoon show kind of stuff. Not the 'good' stuff, kwim?

:banghead:

We get most of our children's books from the sales at our library or from Edward McKay, although I find that even Edward McKay's prices are a bit much for used. I generally don't buy many children's books unless they are for school (literature selections that will be used for all the children).

So, took the kids to Indigo today.

I just about passed out/threw up while we were there.

I can NOT believe the prices of children's books! Seriously! Most titles are only in hard cover, they don't carry the same in paper back...and I am NOT paying $16.99 to 18.99 for a kid's book! "If You Give A Mouse A Cookie" was $16.99. Another book from an author Princess likes was $18.99.

These aren't novels or anything for pity sakes! Children's books!

No wonder so many families don't have an extensive library! Who could afford it?

I've been in a long habit of buying books 2nd hand online. I have a few ppl that I consistently buy from in Canada. I just figured that taking them to a book store would be fun.

Yeah, great fun, until Mommy almost hyperventilates and passes out from the flipping prices!

We settled on some leveled readers for $6.99 each. Good grief.

There's no 2nd hand book store within walking distance from us. The one by my Drs has a piddly kid section.

ARGH!

I have Mr. Popper's Penguins and a few others you can claim. Check out Loralei's too, as she has many, many used books for dirt cheap.

Do you have thrift stores (Goodwill, Savers/Value Village, etc.)?

It's worth checking their book sections. And there is a lot of variation within chains, at least here. Our closest Goodwill has a not-so-great book section, but the next closest Goodwill has 3x as many books.

I wanted my kids to have the chance to handle different books, pick out their choices, kwim?

I just find it disgusting that the prices are so high. And, as I mentioned, only hard cover versions available of 'classics'. Paperback was more Disney/Barbie/Fisher Price/Cartoon show kind of stuff. Not the 'good' stuff, kwim?

Ugh. That stinks. Well, when the postal service comes back and if it's available in Canada keep it in mind. It's not just paperbacks even though it's called paperback swap. :) I never bought many kids books because of the prices. We just got really addicted to the library.

I buy lots and lots of my books secondhand, so I understand where you're coming from. But I think it's important to remember the costs that go into making a kid's book.

First you've got the hard materials - the paper, cardstock, ink, etc. That's going to be expensive right off because you're usually talking about color printing and detailed illustration.

Then you've got to pay for the printing plant and the printers.

Then there's the people who do layout and the editors.

Then there's the bookstore and the book sellers and the catalog makers.

Then there's the editors.

And then, on top of that, you've got to pay both the author AND the illustrator enough to make it worth their time.

Again, I buy lots of books secondhand, so I'm not throwing stones. But they're priced at what the market will bear, and they have a LOT of cost to cover. Profit margin's really not that high when it comes to books, and kid's books, with two artists (illustrator and author) and extra cost associated with having pictures, are especially tricky.

Bookmooch.com (basically the same as paperbackswap) does international book sending so being in canada isn't a problem....of course the mail strike is :(

I have Mr. Popper's Penguins and a few others you can claim. Check out Loralei's too, as she has many, many used books for dirt cheap.

I second checking out Loralei's, I have built a very extensive collection between her place, value village, good will(the one on 170th and 100th ave is my favorite), and scholastic book orders. For things like if you give a mouse a cookie I buy online through amazon or even CHER.

I'm feeling your pain.

My eldest son got into "The Box Car Children" books just before the strike started I ordered him 40 books off ebay. The woman got them to the mailbox and they have sat there ever since.

I have been getting them from the library. But they don't have number 10, or 13. And we 'need' number 10 soon since we are half way done number 9.

I just discovered Borders.com . I paid $20 for a plus membership and I get free shipping on all books I order with no minimum purchase required. Most of the books I get there are used books for about $1.04 and have been in great shape for used. Now we can afford to get a "new" book in the mail every week!

I don't know if it works in Canada but this is the reason I purchase a lot from Amazon. You can get a $15-20 book many times for $4-8 shipped.

Many times you can get the paper back in the 4 for 3 deals new also.:001_smile:

I buy from Amazon.com all the time. Our big bookseller, Indigo/Chapters rarely has what I want. Even Amazon.ca pales in comparison to Amazon.com.

I think a lot of people give picture books for gifts so they can get away with charging more.

I get almost all our children's books second hand but I don't mind paying for quality works. I'm sure most children's authors and illustrators are not getting wealthy. I just hate that their seems to be so much really flashy stuff with no substance.

Basically I will only pay full price for a hardcover picture book if its something we keep checking out from the library, a gift, or if its something like Richard Scarry that I know will get A LOT of use.

I'm a part of the scholastic book club, if you have proof that your homeschooling they'll let you join and you can reap the rewards of the book club if you spend over $25. I've just discovered bookdepository, their prices are much better than amazon but will have to check out the sites you have all listed. Thanks!

ITA prices for new books in a brick and mortar bookstore get ridiculous and the less expensive versions of a book can be difficult to find. This is why I buy from Amazon when I want something specific instead of "supporting my local bookstore". I can't afford to support the local bookstore for the amount of reading material I want.

I have also purchased a lot of books from the sale shelves at local libraries and from our local Goodwill store. But I never know what I will find there.

I have also found a few great deals through the Scholastic Book Club with our meetup.com homeschool group. But usually Scholastic does not have the titles I want.

You rock! :D

I've got a whole lot of kids books I'm putting out at the garage sale. Is there any title in particular you're looking for?

I really want Tikki Tikki Tembo, If You Give A Mouse A Cookie...basically non tv/Disney related books for kids. Fun fiction reads.

I buy lots and lots of my books secondhand, so I understand where you're coming from. But I think it's important to remember the costs that go into making a kid's book.

First you've got the hard materials - the paper, cardstock, ink, etc. That's going to be expensive right off because you're usually talking about color printing and detailed illustration.

Then you've got to pay for the printing plant and the printers.

Then there's the people who do layout and the editors.

Then there's the bookstore and the book sellers and the catalog makers.

Then there's the editors.

And then, on top of that, you've got to pay both the author AND the illustrator enough to make it worth their time.

Again, I buy lots of books secondhand, so I'm not throwing stones. But they're priced at what the market will bear, and they have a LOT of cost to cover. Profit margin's really not that high when it comes to books, and kid's books, with two artists (illustrator and author) and extra cost associated with having pictures, are especially tricky.

I do understand that aspect. Honest.

I'm sorry. I wonder why there were mostly hard over? I seem to run into mostly soft covers at Borders and Barnes & Noble here. :grouphug:

That's the big problem, imo. It seems that only carrying so many titles in hardcover is a cash grab. So if you want particular titles, you have to fork over $$.

It just ticks me off. How many kids don't have loads of books at home, not b/c the parents wouldn't love to provide them, but the pricing makes it incredibly difficult? Children's literature shouldn't be priced out of reach.

Do you have Chick-fil-A? Their kids meal giveaways are always educational, and are often books. I KNOW they do a "Give a Mouse" series each year. I've had good luck just buying the books from them (but for fast food, they're actually pretty good).

Do you have Chick-fil-A? Their kids meal giveaways are always educational, and are often books. I KNOW they do a "Give a Mouse" series each year. I've had good luck just buying the books from them (but for fast food, they're actually pretty good).

Not in Canada, as far as I know.

Some people prefer hardback. I have three little imps under the age of 6. Hardbacks seem to survive better than paperbacks. I'd much rather have a couple quality hardbacks rather than six or seven paperbacks with ripped covers and paper coming loose from the staples. Its easier to find a hardback favorite on the bookshelf too. My kids own plenty of Scholastic paperbacks and a few of the cheaper I can read books.

Adult hardbacks are expensive too. They turn over to paperback more quickly while lots of hardback picture books just get moved off the shelves for the next batch in hope of better sales.

Edited by ChristineW

Guest submarines

I also believe that it is important for kids to have a good variety at home, and we have TONS of books. I joke that we have more than the local library. 99.9% were bought at Value Village--we always end up with most amazing finds there. Like DK hard cover for $1.69.

My kids love having so many books around, and I never know what they will pull out and become engrossed with.

However we also love going to Chapters, and often end up buying a book there too--usually something that is very special, something that would be reread or viewed often, or even something that DD (9) would fall in love with and won't stop reading.

When you buy a new book, you support the author, and most children's books authors are just regular people with very little income. (And no, they don't get to pocket the price of the book, but only a very small percentage of it). So this is something to think about as well.

When you buy a new book, you support the author, and most children's books authors are just regular people with very little income. (And no, they don't get to pocket the price of the book, but only a very small percentage of it). So this is something to think about as well.

If I had an unlimited, or even much, much larger budget, I'd indulge. Unfortunately, like many families, that's not our financial situation. I'm aware of how the publishing industry works. I just wish that they'd have books in paperback. I'd gladly have purchased several, but I just can't justify spending over $30 for 2 children's books.

Some people prefer hardback. I have three little imps under the age of 6. Hardbacks seem to survive better than paperbacks. I'd much rather have a couple quality hardbacks rather than six or seven paperbacks with ripped covers and paper coming loose from the staples. Its easier to find a hardback favorite on the bookshelf too. My kids own plenty of Scholastic paperbacks and a few of the cheaper I can read books.

Adult hardbacks are expensive too. They turn over to paperback more quickly while lots of hardback picture books just get moved off the shelves for the next batch in hope of better sales.

My kids read books to tatters. Doesn't matter if its hardback or paperback, sooner or later, they all fall apart. I don't buy adult hardbacks either...again, budgetary constraints.

Do you have Kohl's in Canada? They often have some pretty good books in hardcover for $5. I know they did the give a mouse series a few years ago as well as Dr. Seuss and Eric Carle books.

Nope, no Kohls in Canada as far as I know.

and I am NOT paying $16.99 to 18.99 for a kid's book

That price would be considered cheap in Australia. Our kids books (hardcover) start at around $20 with the average being $25-$30 EACH. Our softcovers are around $12-$20. You don't even want to know what they charge for a toddlers board book ($15-$20 just to be chewed on).

Just about everyone here I know uses Book Depository. A number of our bookstores here are closing down because they can't get business. We don't have stores like Chapters (we did have Borders until it recently collapsed but the prices there were even worse then the Australian bookstores because a lot were imports).

It is nice to go into a bookstore to browse but my kids hate it because they don't understand why I won't buy them anything in there.

I feel your pain.

Average kids book is $25 here

Average paper back is $19

New Maive Binchey hit the book shelves before Christmas, I popped in to check the PAPERBACK price $25. I walked out in a huff. ;)

There's only one officially used book store in my area, it's decent but not great. Not a huge selection and if no one buys books she doesn't move stock around. I can't complain too loudly as I couldn't find my Liver Cleanse book at home so on an off chance I checked there and she had a copy for $7 which was a $28 saving from what I would have had to pay at the local book shop.

I miss Goodwill. I picked up SOOOOO many good books there for .59. :D

Here in TN, we have the Dolly Parton Imagination foundation that sends kids under 5 a free book each month. This is how we've built our library.

We have this up north too. We've gotten a number of good books from them (along with some duds). I proselytize this program with as many parents as I can find in my city - it's a really great program.