Menu

what is your main bathroom decor?

I tried to stay formal, better homes and gardens/southern living look but I just couldn't stand it so now I have a bathroom full of Monkeys and love it. Am I nuts. It's so not me but I was tired of feeling I had to keep it formal/semiformal/coutry whatever and I am tired of the plaid country curtain so when I saw the Monkey set at Kohls and Target I thought why not. Do you love the decor in your bathroom or what would you want to do?

My decor is bright...I need fun and primary colors in the morning. I have funny creatures on my shower curtain, bright green bath mat, and yellow curtains! It isn't very formal, but it is cheerful and wakes me up. HA! I think a bathroom should just be fun. :D

I am happy if the room stays clean. Our decor (we have one main bathroom for six people) seems to be used Q-tips and Mystery cotton balls (hey kids - it is called a trashcan and it is right THERE!!!!) with eau de soap scum on the side.

I had paint left over from the hallway and dining room so I used that then coordinated a rug. I don't really have a decor, but it is clean with no clutter. I did put a picture on the wall that coordinated with the run and walls. I like that it matches with the hallway, but that was a thrifty choice, not a decorator choice.

Ours is in the same vein as JFS, but cat fur instead of cotton balls, LOL. We have a shower with a glass door so no fun curtain. I don't even have rugs anymore because we used to have a cat who would attack them whenever we went away! :lol:

I have a few pictures in there that are not at all related to each other. We deperately need to paint the bathroom, and then I will try to come up with something to make it look more like someone tried to make it pretty. Dh does not like flowers, so that limits me somewhat. I will probably paint it a sandy brown/tan and try to get nature pictures to go in there. I may even splurge on rugs again (naught cat is no longer with us).

I don't think you are nuts, go with what makes you happy.

We redid our 1/2 bath on our main floor a couple years ago. I decided to do it in all white with a black mirror and brushed nickle accents. It is so crisp and simple I love it.

We haven't done much to our other two bathrooms, they are upstairs and we're the only ones who use them. The kids have green tile and a world map shower curtain. My bath is yellow tile - blah. I have a friend who is an interior designer, she came in and drew up plans for some drapes for my master bedroom and we did a shower curtain out of the same material. It did pull everything together, but I still dream of the day we can redo the whole bathroom.

We currently live in married student housing. The apartments were built in the 50s or 60s and the bathrooms are pepto-bismol pink. Pink tile walls, pink tub. We just try not to add anything pink! ;)

I have a friend with a pink and gray bathroom. Not that I'm stuck on the white thing, but she put all white towels and a plain white shower curtain it looked great, it definetly downplayed the pink tub, the pink toilet, and the pink tile! It's amazing what you can make work.

The main bathroom is the one that the kids use almost all the time. And I have children who will sit in there for a loooong time. So the bathroom decor is... educational posters. Specifically the periodic table, an alphabet chart, a numbers 1-100 chart and eight little posters about flight.

They change depending on what we are doing. We start a unit on flight tomorrow and that is why the flight posters are in there. My little guy is learning how to count to 100 and the alphabet and that is why they are in there. And the periodic table is there just because.

I figure if they are going to sit in there at least they can look at something educational while they are there.

I have gotten some funny comments from guests. Usually they laugh and everyone giggles about reading material.

We are getting ready to buy and remodel a home. I went sorta formal in the last home we owned, but you know what? HUMOR and FUN is SO important. That attitude in my decor lightened me up considerably. I kept feeling I had to be "Better HOmes and Gardens" magazine ready at all times, but I think people feel comfortable in a house they can smile in. The homes of others' that I liked the best had a great deal of HUMOR along with their beauty. Hello Kitty spotted in the kitchen comes to mind...and maybe that's not your thing, but I think Monkeys are FUN.....you could just have a basic palette and change it as money and whim allows....

my .02cents worth....

I tried to stay formal, better homes and gardens/southern living look but I just couldn't stand it so now I have a bathroom full of Monkeys and love it. Am I nuts. It's so not me but I was tired of feeling I had to keep it formal/semiformal/coutry whatever and I am tired of the plaid country curtain so when I saw the Monkey set at Kohls and Target I thought why not. Do you love the decor in your bathroom or what would you want to do?

I agree with go with whatever makes you happy! :-D

We've renovated two of three bathrooms so far with the remaining one to be done ours (the master). :-} My all time favorite is the girls'. We went with a mountainous theme. There is a beautiful print of a mountain stream with lots of fall colors though the folage is predominantly green. We have woodsy candles (fall colors) to include a sconce and hand towels in fall colors. Sage green rounds everything out in floor rugs and shower curtain. Love it, love it, love it!

Yes, LOL, I like the serene feeling of my bathroom just fine. But there are no monkeys in it. They inhabit the rest of the house and yard, why would I want them in my bathroom?

I just arrived home a few minutes ago to find my 6'3", 15-year old and a friend of his riding their bikes up and down in front of our house. They have on helmets, have padded themselves with old towels inside their shirts and roller skating knee pads on their shoulders, have long lances tipped with nerf footballs and other soft foam missiles, and are jousting......

Dc's bathroom is

mauve..it was suppose to look like a manly(?) mauve..not pink girly mauve

I painted it flat and then taped it off to create stripes with the same color but in semi-gloss. It is pretty, but the boys don't like it!:D

I found a very nice shower curtain with the same color with brown in it. A brown rug near the shower and a beige fluffy rug near the sinks.

I found two frogs..one sitting on the others shoulders. The one that is on the shoulders is suppose to hold a candle in both hands, instead I put a rag in each hand.

I love your monkey idea. My teenager loves monkeys and a couple of years ago we had decided to do a monkey, tropical theme in his bathroom. Before we could do that, we stumbled across a great, loud, orange shower curtain and three round orange rugs. Ds loves the color orange. We painted the walls a dark cobalt and accented with some lime green photo frames.

It is loud and bright and completely fun. When he moves out, we will do something else. For now, we love it. Guests makes some interesting remarks about how bright it is.

We have four bathromms which sounds wonderful in theory but in practice? With four boys? Not so much.;)

My master bath is cream and I have one forest green accent wall where a very large mirror is located. I have a while vanity with brushed silver knobs and brushed silver cotton ball holder, q-tip holder and lotion dispenser. I have some other black and green accents, too.

The whole color theme was inspired by a Degas print that I have called "Dance Class" that was done in greens and blacks.

I think I know what monkey set you're talking about, lol! They are cute & fun.

Our kids' bathroom is the fun one (and the one most visitors use anyway). Years ago, I found cute wallpaper w/ small ducks on it (and bubbles), plus I ordered cork flooring tiles that had a bright blue laminate top on them that looks like water. There are also little fish in the floor design. I love the brightness & fun of that bathroom. The kids will probably be outgrowing it soon enough, though I'd love to keep the floor & update the rest.

Our very small downstairs bathroom is plain (champagne color w/ silver accents), but I was recently thinking that I'm ready for a change. I've been mulling it over & want something fun or dramatic there. I love some of the wall-art stickers from this place & am trying to think what I could do in there.... Maybe fake pandas, foxy, or invader. Decisions, decisons!

And, one other thing I saw once in a neat, designer show house -- a bathroom where the walls were painted w/ things so that it looked like you were underwater. The best part was that they had the bottom parts of wooden ducks attached to the ceiling (so you could see the underside of the ducks & their feet), so it really seemed like you were 'swimming' in there. LOL.

We had fun redecorating our bathrooms when we moved. Our first floor bath was all wallpapered and had an ugly cabinet. We ripped out that cabinet and wallpaper and put in a pedistal sink and I painted it a cream. Now, it's simple and clean with brown accessories.

Upstairs the main bath was wallpapered in DUCKS and had PINK sinks and toilet and tub. And, the flourescent lighting just tops everything. Luckily, the tile was acceptable. I ripped out the wallpaper and painted a blue color. I added a nice shower curtain. This summer we're going to replace the lighting, sink, and toilet. Then, that bathroom will be done!!!

I say do what makes you happy. The shower curtain is easy to replace and turn into something that is more appealing to the masses should you ever decide to sell. Now, I would probably try to dissuade you from getting a monkey themed bathtub or sink!!!

I saw that set today and thought it would be really cute in the girls' bathroom in the new house. Gotta picture to show us?

It has sunny yellow walls, slate-gray tiles on the floor and behind the bath/sink, and the counter is a modern copy of an antique Chinese chest. There is a modern white basin set on top of the chest with a swan-neck tap, a modern white toilet and an enormous white bath with swan-neck taps. The shower is over the bath.

Best wishes

Laura

Our downstairs bathroom (which I guess makes it the "main" bathroom) is also my eldest daughter's bathroom. I let her pick the decor. My husband wanted something more snooty but she's more important than any guests so we found a compromise. It has a surfing theme but is "nice" not "campy"-that was the compromise. ;)

Beachy in both bathrooms. They are decorated and 1/2 remodeled. Which means we have modern flooring and the avacado green toilet and the gold toilet are gone!!! The tubs are still those colors (YUCK!)

One bathroom is done with a few prints we picked up in Costa Rica. The shower curtain is a big bold cobalt blue floral pattern, very tropical looking.

The hall bath has a huge vanity (yucky gold color) and it is decorated with beach pictures from all of our trips. The shower curtain is white with big bold florals.

I like the idea of educational charts, I might do that.

We currently live in married student housing. The apartments were built in the 50s or 60s and the bathrooms are pepto-bismol pink. Pink tile walls, pink tub. We just try not to add anything pink! ;)

We looked at an apt. to rent that had a "peptol-bismol" pink bathroom. I LOVED IT. I kept thinking of how neat a black with white polka dot shower curtain would look. I'd frame some "I Love Lucy" or "Betty Grable" (1940's or 50's) prints and hang them up. :tongue_smilie:

But alas, we ended up renting a 70's vintage place instead.

K

Is ugly a decor? The walls are papered in a 70's peach sea shell design, but the owners put it up upside down so the shells are under the sand. The floor and shower are smallish tan tiles.

The other bathroom is worse, if that's possible.

In my last house, the previous owners put a rose garland border up in the kitchen. Upside down. (They also painted the master bedroom neon pumpkin but did the attached master bath in mauve and taupe. Some people should be banned from Lowes.)

Anyway, my current bathroom is bright and the shower curtain is called Crazy Daisy. I have an orange and pink daisy-shaped bath mat, 4 bright daisy-shaped plates hang on the wall and even my soft-soap dispenser has the same flowers on it. It's not sophisticated, but it's fun!

We have surfboards and hula girls in our bathroom. We painted it an almost white version of seafoam green, have the pink tiles that came with the house back in the '50's, we did a light blue hula girl shower curtain, surfboard decorations and got towels in bright beach tones.