Menu

Is this Crazy to even consider?

A little bit about us:

Well me and my best friends (5 of us) from highschool all have always wanted to homeschool our kids, one way or another we never did. With the oldest who is about to finish 9th Grade and the youngest who hasnt started Preschool yet, we never thought we could do it.

Our working sitituations are:

Im already a stay at home mom, 3 of them work part-time, and 1 full time. All of our husbands work full time.

1 of them working part time said she would quit so she could help me homeschool them, the others said they could help when they dont have work.

1 has work M,W,F 9am-1pm

The other has work M-F with Wednesday off from 11am-3pm

The kids:We want to homeschool, but dont know if its practical, with 17 kids between us! (I have 5, one of them have 4, other has 3, other has 3 and the last has 2)

ALL of them HATE school with a passion except 2 of the younger-ish ones. They do all attend the same elementary,middle and highschool in public school if you wanted to know :)

Their Grades for this up coming year will be-

10th

9th Grade Twins

8th

2 in 6th

5th(he has ADHD,ps wanted him on Ritalin but we said no way!)

4th

2 in 3rd

2 in 2nd

2 in 1st

2 in Kindergarten

Preschool

Does this even seem practical or possible?

We all feel its the best for them to be taken out of public school, but we've also considered private school

Thanks for any help, advice, curriculum suggestions, anything :)

Welcome to this board!

If you can make this work, please post about it. :D

Seriously, it would require for all of you to be on the same page regarding discipline, amount of work / quality of work required.

It would also require that all of you are exceptionally highly skilled in child management since you have just about all ages represented. The children would have to assemble at one house, take snacks and meals there and have all their school material there. Do you have a large spare room or several desks?

Are you extremely well organized because IMHO, nothing short of a saintly schedule could accomplish this - but then I am not the mother of many and you will probably get better advice from some of the homeschoolers here who have large families.

Would you be teaching the most since you are the only full-time stay at home Mom? Are you prepared to take this on? One can always try for six months and see if you feel like you lost all your marbles or if it is actually working. :001_smile:

Well, first you need to check the laws in your state to see if it is even legal to homeschool children other than your own; many times, it is not.

I think what you are describing sounds nuts! I'm sorry to be a wet blanket. Maybe it sounds appealing at the moment but I think most anyone would burn out fast trying to juggle what you are describing and, IMO, the children will be missing out as well. I can't imagine trying to provide individualized attention to that many children on a daily basis. All parties involved would need to consent to one curriculum choice and one way of doing things, and you will likely find that after you get your feet wet homeschooling that you want to branch out and try different things.

I just wouldn't do it. If I were you, I would homeschool my own children.

Me and 1 of the other moms would be the main people then the other moms would help when they dont have work.

I do have a huge daylight basment for this all to happen in :)

We are hopefully going to find something independent for the higschoolers, multi-level for Middle and Elementary and something for Kindergarten and Preschool (maybe combinding them).

Hopefully we can *try* to study the same things more in depth the older they are :001_huh:

I am extermely organized with having 5 kids of my own, but i know 17 is a lot more then that!

We have been thinking about this FOREVER, I always thought i would homeschool my kids, i was homeschooled in highschool myself.

Since we have been thinking about this that long we have a VERY reasonable amount of money saved for all the expenses

I think it's hard to start out homeschooling, but to start off like you're suggesting would be really, really difficult. I agree that every single one of you would have to be on the same page on EVERY aspect.

What homeschooling method would you follow? What curriculum would you use?

Do you expect kids to work independently? For all subjects? For some subjects?

Would they be required to complete work outside of the hours you are homeschooling them, like homework?

Would their parents enforce the rules like they do in school? I mean, what if some of the kids show up without the work done while others do have the work done?

What happens when one or more of the kids aren't doing well with a particular type of curriculum? Do they suck it up like they have to do in public shool or can a change be made for them like many homeschoolers do?

Would the majority of work fall on your shoulders? What if one of the other moms decides it's too much work and that you're doing such a good job that she'll just leave the decisions up to you?

Could you set up a schedule based on their work schedules of who will teach what subject on what days? What happens if the person misses a day? Would you all be okay if you get off schedule?

What happens if the children who are not yours don't respond to your teaching? Would you all agree on some form of discipline?

What happens when some of the kids are having a bad day and just generally do not cooperate? It could be like a public school classroom where the teacher spends so much time with the kids who aren't doing what they are supposed to do that the rest of the kids get off track because they are left on their own.

Would you have a place where the older kids could study without the very younger children making lots of noise?

And those are just the ones off the top of my head. :)

I guess it could possibly work, but you would have to be really, super structured. Your days would not be your own anymore. If you were homeschooling your own children, you could incorporate school stuff into your normal day. I would do some housework on breaks or while the kids were doing something independently. With 17 children in the house, I would imagine there would be no downtime at all.

I don't think the number of kids is the issue (there are mothers of many children who homeschool their kids), or the part time work (I work 25+ hours a week and homeschool).

IMO, the biggest issue is whether you are all on the same page regarding motivation to homeschool, expectations, educational philosophies. Whether you will be able to agree on materials, time commitment, discipline procedures, etc.

Based on my encounters with other homeschoolers and their VASTLY different takes on homeschooling, I would never agree to homeschool somebody else's child. Not even a close friends', because that might put quite a strain on the relationship.

But that's just my personal opinion.

IF I were to consider something like this, I would want to divide the older kids and the youngers - at least part of the time. Giving the highschoolers a place to really work so they don't get dragged into being crowd control (I know I'm guilty of doing this with my older two - and I only have 4).

If 2 moms are working together to do the "teaching" and labs, field trips, etc. could be the responsibility of the part-timers I could see that it could be good. Crazy, but good.

I think it's hard to start out homeschooling, but to start off like you're suggesting would be really, really difficult. I agree that every single one of you would have to be on the same page on EVERY aspect.

We do know this isnt going to be the easiest thing but we are going to try and make it work

What homeschooling method would you follow? What curriculum would you use?

We all agreed that we would like something Literature-Based

Do you expect kids to work independently? For all subjects? For some subjects?

The Highschoolers will work mostly independent from adults, they may work together though. Im thinking Every One will do their own independent math.

Would they be required to complete work outside of the hours you are homeschooling them, like homework?

I think to some extent if a majority of everyone finished most of the work for the day the kid/s who didnt would either get help from their parent, or me.

Would their parents enforce the rules like they do in school? I mean, what if some of the kids show up without the work done while others do have the work done?

We already agree on a lot of things, we ALL have the same rules in our households, pretty much, if anything im the least strict parent out of the 5 of us

What happens when one or more of the kids aren't doing well with a particular type of curriculum? Do they suck it up like they have to do in public shool or can a change be made for them like many homeschoolers do?

If they werent doing good, they could move to something independent?

Would the majority of work fall on your shoulders? What if one of the other moms decides it's too much work and that you're doing such a good job that she'll just leave the decisions up to you?

I do expect a lot of it will fall on me and the other mom who would stay home

Could you set up a schedule based on their work schedules of who will teach what subject on what days? What happens if the person misses a day? Would you all be okay if you get off schedule?

We figured out, that theyre would be 3 adults homeschooling them everyday, except Monday and Friday 11am-1pm

What happens if the children who are not yours don't respond to your teaching? Would you all agree on some form of discipline?

We discipline the same way, on most matters, we are all christian families and believe in the same things

What happens when some of the kids are having a bad day and just generally do not cooperate? It could be like a public school classroom where the teacher spends so much time with the kids who aren't doing what they are supposed to do that the rest of the kids get off track because they are left on their own.

Realizing their will be 3 adults, I think 1 of them can help the students who are not cooperating

Would you have a place where the older kids could study without the very younger children making lots of noise?

They could work in the den, its fairly big or the kitchen table maybe even the family room, with most of the day the younger kids will be in the basement they could be anywhere else in the house

And those are just the ones off the top of my head. :)

I guess it could possibly work, but you would have to be really, super structured. Your days would not be your own anymore. If you were homeschooling your own children, you could incorporate school stuff into your normal day. I would do some housework on breaks or while the kids were doing something independently. With 17 children in the house, I would imagine there would be no downtime at all.

We all want it to work and are thinking we will try it for a year and see what happens :)

I read through the thread, and not to rain on your parade, I'm chiming in with all the people here who think it's a bad idea to go about it this way. I have only 2 kids who are the same grade-level and I use a pre-planned curriculum. It still takes me about 4 hours/day to do school with them. I can't imagine having 17 kids, all at different grade-levels while using programs that don't sound like they're pre-planned with all the books, etc. laid out for you. This is my 4th year homeschooling (I started in pre-K) and it wasn't until the end of last year that I really found my groove with it.

You and one other mom will be responsible for teaching all these kids who are different ages and have different ability levels while the other 3 moms work full-time? I realize they're your friends, but this sounds dangerously like free baby-sitting to me. What are their responsibilities in all this? Are they going to pay you and the other mom? Are you going to be compensated for the use of your facilities? Add up all those toilet-flushes bound to happen in a single day with all those people in your house and you're looking at a much heftier water bill! If they all have laptops, your electricity bill may jump too. I don't think it's enough that these other moms will "help out" when they're not working. That puts an unreasonable and unfair burden on you and the other teaching mom, and you may find the drop-in "help" more disruptive than helpful. You'd need to get them up to speed and take time out to explain what the kids are doing and what they need to do. They won't be as familiar with the curriculum as you are.

They need to either heavily compensate you financially for teaching their children (with the planning involved, this will be far more than a 40-hour/week job for you and the other teaching mom), or they need to compensate you somewhat financially and commit to teaching certain hours/subjects. If it's not set up like a business arrangement with responsibilities (financial and otherwise) clearly outlined, I can see these life-long friendships ending due to resentment and misunderstandings.

You mentioned in response to a question that if a child doesn't click with a curriculum then they can maybe work independently. What if it's a 2nd grader? How much independent work can a 2nd grader be expected to do if the curriculum isn't a good fit? Do you switch the entire curriculum at that point for all the kids in that age range? What if the change doesn't work for one or two of the other kids? What if it's YOUR child that doesn't do well with a certain curriculum, but the other kids flourish under it and the other parents don't want to change it, even though you're the one teaching all their kids and doing all the work? Does your child lose out? How do you balance multiple curricula with all those kids? Those are real concerns. It took me 3 years to find a curriculum that worked for BOTH my kids, and I only have 2 -- not 17.

The high school kids can and should work mostly independently, but they're still going to need oversight. Even taking them out of the equation, you still have a lot of young ones to divide up between you and that other mom.

I wouldn't do it. If you want to homeschool your own kids, that's wonderful. If the other mom wants to do that too, maybe you can do it together if you can find a way of making it work. I wouldn't take on the responsibility of all those other kids if their parents aren't there -- not if you value your friendships. I've seen close friendships ruined over paid baby-sitting arrangements. You're talking more than childcare here, you're talking about education, and that's an even touchier subject.

If you decide to do this, PLEASE make written agreements with everyone involved and include your financial compensation on there. Homeschooling can be considered a lifestyle, or it can be considered a job (or both!). If you are taking on children who are not your own, you really need to consider it a job and approach it in that manner.

Good luck with your decision.

I agree that it sounds like a one room schoolhouse in the making. :)

When I saw the breakdown of the grades, I thought that if you do this, you may want to create three groups - one being the 8,9 and 10, another being 4,5 and 6, and the youngers all in another.

The hard part would be deciding how it would work. Would all use the same curricula? Would each family decide for their own? Who will teach what subjects and to which grades - all of these questions need to be thoroughly discussed first. I do think it's doable and definitely better than keeping them in a school they hate.

Let us know how this progresses - I'm curious to hear. :)

I know of several small private schools that are about 20-50 kids of multiple ages, in fairly wide age groups, that are sort of like a cross between a traditional school and homeschooling. Most of them seem to use Abeka, where there's a lot of workbook-type instruction. I don't know how successful they are, but one of my friend's daughters attended one from K-8th grade and apparently thrived there-she went on to a competitive private high school and is now in college. There's at least one classical school that uses this sort of format as well-it kind of runs like Classical Conversations, only all week long.

At least in my state, it is fairly easy to create a non-accredited church-related private school (and church-related is VERY broad indeed), and, in fact, this is how most of us homeschool rather than going through the public system-we enroll in a church related school that just happens to have a lot of campuses, each of which consists of parents and their own children.

I think you'd want at least a 2 room schoolhouse, to let the older kids have some space and have longer focused work times than the younger ones, and a place outside to play.

I'd also check zoning. I know that if you do home-based child care for children outside of your family, there are restrictions on the number of children that can be in a house at a time, and I'm guessing that might apply to home-based private schools, too. The small schools I know of are all in church buildings.

The biggest problem that I see is that it isn't legal in Michigan. Because all of these are unrelated children, some will not be doing schooling in their own home, some parents will not be meeting the state guideline of providing the minimum of 50% of instruction (this is generally seen as very important prior to the age at which kids can matriculate into community college), etc. you fall under the private school law not the homeschool exemption laws. It isn't protected under the tutoring/apprenticeship guidelines unless a parent of each child is schooling his/her children for 50% or more of the subjects covered. There are actually some "homeschool" co-ops that exist that are actually violations of the statute.

The private school laws would require you and the other moms to have Michigan teaching licenses and not "out-of-profession" certificates either. You can operate a private school in your own home as long as you are licensed.

So, basically it is illegal unless the other full-time working parents sign a legal guardianship of their children to you. If you are the guardian, then you can homeschool them. This would make the arrangement legal, but still highly suspect and could be trouble because you aren't actually taking custody of the children.

I would not recommend doing this.

Faith

I agree with Jujsky -- this is a lot and I wouldn't do it.

Could you start with just your kids and the kids of the mom who is willing to stay home? Why not do a trial year with just two families and then add if it is working?

All the best!

I agree with Jujsky -- this is a lot and I wouldn't do it.

Could you start with just your kids and the kids of the mom who is willing to stay home? Why not do a trial year with just two families and then add if it is working?

All the best!

:iagree: I'd try it as a trial with the 2 families first---I think it sounds exciting, but like way. too. much. work for you and the other full-time mom.

Or--could you give it a shot for a month this summer as a trial?

I agree w/most of the other posts. I've seen far less break up long-standing friendships.

What I think would be wonderful for all of your close-knit families, though, is to individually homeschool then get together for some co-op classes such as science. For most families, home education requires a lot of financial sacrifices. It sounds like all of your friends want to stay together as a group, and are committed to the idea of home schooling their children. Even if all moms in your circle worked part-time, they could perhaps educate their own dc at home.

My 2cents.

I've also posted on another forum and someone suggested MFW and it is PERFECT! :D

All the 3rd-8th graders will use Exploring Cultures and Countries

Also my 9th grade twins will use AHL

Maybe sonlight Core A for K-2?

Looking for something for the 10th grader?

I feel kinda bad b/c she will be doing most by herself so we decided

we'd let her choose if she wants to go to an online school or she might do "reguluar homeschooling" and she can help with the younger ones :001_smile:

Also looking for mostly independent math programs?:001_huh:

The biggest problem that I see is that it isn't legal in Michigan. Because all of these are unrelated children, some will not be doing schooling in their own home, some parents will not be meeting the state guideline of providing the minimum of 50% of instruction (this is generally seen as very important prior to the age at which kids can matriculate into community college), etc. you fall under the private school law not the homeschool exemption laws. It isn't protected under the tutoring/apprenticeship guidelines unless a parent of each child is schooling his/her children for 50% or more of the subjects covered. There are actually some "homeschool" co-ops that exist that are actually violations of the statute.

The private school laws would require you and the other moms to have Michigan teaching licenses and not "out-of-profession" certificates either. You can operate a private school in your own home as long as you are licensed.

So, basically it is illegal unless the other full-time working parents sign a legal guardianship of their children to you. If you are the guardian, then you can homeschool them. This would make the arrangement legal, but still highly suspect and could be trouble because you aren't actually taking custody of the children.

Faith

Very good advice--I almost missed it when skimming the thread so wanted to quote it again.

I do hope you don't give up on the idea of homeschooling your own though!

:iagree: I'd try it as a trial with the 2 families first---I think it sounds exciting, but like way. too. much. work for you and the other full-time mom.

Or--could you give it a shot for a month this summer as a trial?

:iagree:I would try for all summer, not just a month.

I don't know the OP's religous leanings, but it sounds like ACE (or is it PACE?) would be helpful for the middle grades at the very least, perhaps for the higher grades, with additional projects/research? It solves the kids-working-at-different-levels all at the same time, and the what-if-one-student-falls-behind-the-others, and it is a lot of self-taught, at least that's how I remember it from 7th & 8th grade. The biggest problem with this course of action is it would cost a LOT to start, and if you don't continue with it, that's a LOT of money "wasted."

Assuming all of the legalities are already worked out, and this is something that is enticing to all of the families, try it out for the summer and see how it works. If it works great, then you know what to expect, if it doesn't, then you won't have to disrupt their school year with an experiment.

Personally, I have home-schooled other children (only 2 for a total of 4), but it is a lot of work. I found it gratifying, and the children enjoyed it. I made a schedule of when everyone would be doing what, having the older children working on subjects that they could do independently while I would work with the younger children. I would also have the older children read to the younger sometimes.

I would make one suggestion, have the working moms participate in some way, maybe grading papers?

Good Luck!

Faith

:iagree:

I have to go with Faith on this. Homeschooling the first year is hard enough just dealing with your own kids. Dealing with someone else's every day would have made my first year a nightmare.

Have you thought about trying it out with just your own kids for the first year?

We do understand the laws and all the moms will be working part time now, the one who was working full time made in-spit of the moment decision and told them to cut her hours ,each one of the mom's will do 50% of their childs teaching, Everyone will just do it at my house a lot, and its sort-of like a co-op , when the kids mom isnt around which wont be that often it will be like a co-op?

We will all be filing as homeschoolers :)

And one of the moms has a Michigan teaching licence if thats what it has to comes down too.

I've also posted on another forum and someone suggested MFW and it is PERFECT! :D

Just a word of caution: whether a program is PERFECT for YOUR children can only be found out by trying it, not by looking at it.

What are you going to do about curriculum if the stuff you chose works only for some of the kids?

Did want to mention i homeschooled my 9th grade twins when they were in 1st and 2nd grade, and then we couldnt continue for personal reasons and we didnt homeschool again until last year with my ds with ADHD and dyslexia who was in 4th grade

Knowing you've considered the legalities, my next question would be:

What does your husband think of the idea?

I'm often burned out from homeschooling just my 3, but since they're his too he is sympathetic for the most part and gives me the support I need. If I took on something like this, he'd need to be 100% on board because you will have those days. Trust me! It could be hard on your marriage if he isn't.

Just a word of caution: whether a program is PERFECT for YOUR children can only be found out by trying it, not by looking at it.

What are you going to do about curriculum if the stuff you chose works only for some of the kids?

We are going to start with this year, and the student who didnt like or do well with it will use something else the next year with them as a group too. Example it could be 6 of the kids dont like it, the next year 3 of them still didnt like it, then 2 of them didnt like it, then 1 of them didnt like it, etc.

Until we find what they like, we all just want them to start together and we will branch out for each of them as it goes

SO long as you have all your eggs in a row legally...and you feel it can work do it.

But, I think all 5 of you moms need to have a "contingency" plan in case this homeschooling all 5 families together becomes too much for one or more of the families. A way out so that there are no hard feelings.

Another curriculum you could look at would be Heart of Dakota. It can be used for multiple grade levels and as the guides progress the kids start learning how to do more and more independently from about 4th grade on. That doesnt help your high schoolers though. It is literature rich though.

I have thought how fun this would be to do with friends, but I have found that none of my friends, though we have the same values and even like the same approach to education do NOT use the same things. I still think those working part time should compensate you and the other full time mom in some way. I know they are helping some but not all and they certainly aren't opening their homes up only you. So either monetary or they provide meals for everyone at your "school" each day. I say that's fair.

It does sound totally crazy, but so are a lot of things people do. I think it will be hard and frustrating and you may have arguements, but you wont know if it is a good thing or not unless you try. If you are legal and you all are in this together, I say try it for a year. Its just a year.

If the kids hate school, maybe you will rekindle the love of learning. Maybe HS'ing will end up working for some kids and they will thrive and they will stay home, maybe some will go back to ps, or maybe all will....but at least you gave it a chance!

everyone else. I think you probably know your situation, your friends, and your marriage pretty well. I say that if you are all on the same page and everyone else is going to be involved 50% of the time that it's a great idea and I wish you very well!!! Having 8 children (that I homeschool) and other close Christian friends with similar goals and philosophies myself, I can see that this could be a total blessing to all and could be a lot of fun for the children as well.

Assuming that all involved are mature Christians and can/will handle disagreements or difficulties in love there is a great chance that this could work.:)

I truly do wish you all well and God's blessing. I would love to know how this all works out for you. Email me sometime if you have a chance.

Blessings ~

everyone else. I think you probably know your situation, your friends, and your marriage pretty well. I say that if you are all on the same page and everyone else is going to be involved 50% of the time that it's a great idea and I wish you very well!!! Having 8 children (that I homeschool) and other close Christian friends with similar goals and philosophies myself, I can see that this could be a total blessing to all and could be a lot of fun for the children as well.

Assuming that all involved are mature Christians and can/will handle disagreements or difficulties in love there is a great chance that this could work.:)

I truly do wish you all well and God's blessing. I would love to know how this all works out for you. Email me sometime if you have a chance.

Blessings ~

Thank you so much for your support :D

Another thing to consider is that it might work better to school each at their own home and then get together for just some combined classes' date=' field trips and fun time together for the kids and moms. Personally, this is what I would prefer if I were in your situation.[/quote']

This. I would suggest you pick some subjects that you teach to all the kids, and other subjects that parents are responsible for themselves. So maybe you work with the kids on say math and language arts, and the parents teach history and science. I say it that way because I think it is easier for the kids to afterschool those subjects. They can read aloud story of the world, do science experiments on the weekends, and call it good lol. Meanwhile you have gotten the other stuff done during the day. That would also allow you to meet the requirement that the parents do 50% of the work.

However, if you can't make that work the other way to do it is to do history and science projects with the kids during the day, which would work well as far as combining multiple ages, they can do their reading while with you, and then they do math and grammar/writing at home in the evening or on the weekends.

I don't see any way to make it work if they do all the subjects with you without driving you all crazy.

You have received some great advice, and also have obviously thought through your plans. My only extra bit of advice would be to prepare yourself for utter exhaustion.

Last year, I ended up with my 16 yr old dn [who is wonderful and I love having her], my 8yr dn [who was in the same grade as two of my kids, but very difficult to manage and teach], and then half-way through, another 2 kids, 1 in first grade and the other in 3rd with my own, but at a much more advanced level. The only thing that made it work, and I am not saying it was perfect by any stretch, was a lot of help from my niece and my oldest dd, an amazingly patient and supportive dh, and understanding from all the parents involved that this was temporary and some things were going to fall through the cracks.

Please understand that my situation was very different from yours. I shouldered all the teaching, with my niece helping out a bit and all the discipline etc. It was also done as an act of compassion on a very sick mother who needed time to make some educational decisions re her children for the next year. I gave her time, that is all.

Your situation sounds different, but it will put strain on your relationships. You will drop into bed at night much like Arnold did in Kindergarten Cop. You will to be organized re things like dinners, dr appts, piano lessons etc. It will not be easy. You have to think of it like a full-time job. That is the only way it could work.

I hope you guys can make it work, but I would [as pp have mentioned] have a contingency plan in place and give it a 6 month trial with the option of walking away from it no hard feelings. That is how I have done it all three times I have educated other people's children.

Best of luck to you.

One more thing, I have regrets wrt my own dc's education. I am very much looking forward to educating just them this coming year. [My niece excepted, she lives with me and we consider her one of our own]

Mary,

I homeschool with a friend. Between us, we have 5 kids.

What we do is history and science mostly togther in that we do the projects and some of the reading together.

We do our own math stuff.

With 17 kids, I'd break at least one subject out and make those the repsonsibility of those familes. I wouldn't even bother with math with the kdis that are not yours.

You can all use the same curriculum so that you can go to each other for help/support but I'd take a hard look at myself and figure out what you don't want to teach a group.

We homeschool at my house 90% of the time. I have a full finished basement and a large living room. My friend lives in a small house. It feels overwhelming when we're all in her house ramming around.

It has increased my housekeeping. I won't lie. 17 kids? That makes me think you need to communicate with your friend about possibly hiring some cleaning help. I'm in MI too. My house looks significantly worse in January after school than it does in June. :)

Also, meals. Do you have plans for that?

Edited by Jennifer3141

We are going to start with this year, and the student who didnt like or do well with it will use something else the next year with them as a group too. Example it could be 6 of the kids dont like it, the next year 3 of them still didn't like it, then 2 of them didnt like it, then 1 of them didnt like it, etc.

Until we find what they like, we all just want them to start together and we will branch out for each of them as it goes

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly. Are you going to keep switching curriculum until you find something that works for everyone, or are you using this curriculum as a springboard, you'll see which kids it works for, and find something else for the others?

One thing I would be concerned with is curriculum-hopping. If you jump around too much, you may leave gaps in their knowledge. Each curriculum covers topics at a different pace and in a different order. Jumping can cause problems. If it's necessary to jump due to a lack of fit, do it. If you jump every year, it could cause problems.

Edited by jujsky

We've been a part of a long-term co-op with 2 other families, and various amounts/ages of children. The other 2 families were both involved in foster care. It does have its challenges, but the rewards have greatly outnumbered them. You'll all need much grace with each other, adults & kids.

As for independent math programs, I'm sure there are several, but we've had much success with Teaching Textbooks.

Good luck! :001_smile:

We all want it to work and are thinking we will try it for a year and see what happens :)

I'm sorry, I didn't mean for you to answer them all specifically, just something to think about. But you know, you had an answer for each question and that's really great.

Good luck! It actually sounds like it would be fun. Just remember that the beginning has a learning curve. Don't feel like you need to jump in full blast on day 1 and decide it's not working by day 2. :tongue_smilie:

Seventeen kids in one house would be my personal H*ll. LOL So, there's no way I'd do it.

BUT, I'd really really make sure that you're operating within the laws of your state and that you put in writing the expectations of each family (which adult is doing what, etc), and, I'd write out the academic expectations of each child/grade level. IMO, this set-up has the potential to implode if there isn't clear and accurate communication between everyone involved.

And, tbh, the last thing I'd be looking at is curriculum. I think solidifying the methods you'll use (which is not the same thing as choosing materials, but they do go hand-in-hand), outlining how everything is supposed to go, what the disciplinary guidelines are for when a child misbehaves, etc, would be primary concerns.

Good luck! This sounds like a lot of work.

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly. Are you going to keep switching curriculum until you find something that works for everyone, or are you using this curriculum as a springboard, you'll see which kids it works for, and find something else for the others?

One thing I would be concerned with is curriculum-hoping. If you jump around too much, you may leave gaps in their knowledge. Each curriculum covers topics at a different pace and in a different order. Jumping can cause problems. If it's necessary to jump due to a lack of fit, do it. If you jump every year, it could cause problems.

Next year we will ask all the kids if they liked theyre school work and get their opinions, the kids who say the didnt like MFW will move something else hopefully in some form of groups. Like the kids who didnt like MFW this year we could do Mystery of History Volume 2 next year etc.

This year the kids in the same grade will try to use the same curriculum, 3 of us are really good at math so we will take turns we are thinking everyday all the kids will go sit at a table we will have in our "school room"

Some of the kids will have DVD curricula so they will have to go in a room with a tv/dvd player.

We also think we'll let the elementary students watch some of the middle school and highschool do their lab experiments, and then they have their science in MFW

Those are some of our ideas at making it work :)

I'm sorry, I didn't mean for you to answer them all specifically, just something to think about. But you know, you had an answer for each question and that's really great.

Good luck! It actually sounds like it would be fun. Just remember that the beginning has a learning curve. Don't feel like you need to jump in full blast on day 1 and decide it's not working by day 2. :tongue_smilie:

I know i just thought i would just for myself too, and see how many things i knew the answer too :P

Faith

Do you have a reference for me? I have talked to the state numerous times regarding my children (they received services from the public school through this year). I have never been told I have to do only 50% of the teaching and I cannot find this referenced anywhere. In my understanding what is being proposed could only be done if the parent with the teaching certificate filed as a nonpublic school.

I haven't read all the posts, but I would start by focusing on my own family and deciding whether I wanted to homeschool my kids or not. Then, if you do, see if any of your other friends are going to follow suit. If they definitely are, then I would start working out a coop day. If it were me, I would not base my decision to homeschool on what other people might or might not do and I would definitely ease into the coop, making it one day per week to start. I would not want to get into a situation where I was a new homeschooler and then also responsible for teaching my friends' children because they have to work. I think that's a lot to take on and it sounds like quite a few of the moms have pretty heavy work schedules.

Lisa

I will share what happened to me many years ago.:001_smile:

I started homeschooling my 7th grader. By the time he was an 8th grader my then senior in high wanted to come home so we brought her home. In another 2 months we had a couple of friends that their dc were struggling, a 2nd gr. and a freshman. I home schooled the 4 through that yr. Word got out:001_huh: and by that fall we were considered a private school and I was schooling 9 children. 2 of them were 1st gr so we enlisted my oldest son to take them over. By Christmas we had 19 students and the 2 of us were doing it.

Now we were using ACE for curr.(would not be my choice now) and they were all in it. It worked. It was a LOT of work.

Personally I would go with a boxed type of curr. I have done that for the first time with mine and I love it. We are using BJU. You can get it on computer also which would help you greatly with the older children.

Like others have said you need the space, you would have to make sure that all the parents are on the same page. I would sit down with everyone and establish some guide lines as far as discipline, costs, hrs expected to be put in by each person, etc.

Do I think it could work? Yes, absolutely. You will need to have to be willing to give. a. lot. in. every. area.

I do believe that you can at time bring some of the olders to help with the youngers. The main thing is that you are all on the same page as far as religious beliefs, what language is acceptable, what music is ok, etc.

Keep us posted.