Menu

When is the best time to go to WDW?

We went in early May and it was GREAT! There were almost no lines. I think the longest we waited for any rides was about 10 minutes. It was warmer than I like it, but I really like the low to mid 70's. And there was no rain the week we went.

We've been twice. Once the last week of Jan/beginning Feb and once mid April.

Jan/Feb was by far the better choice. The weather was bearable and any rain just really cleared out the parks.

April is still spring break and the weather was much hotter and humid than I would like.

I would bet that the fall might not be too bad. Maybe October (but not around Halloween).

eta: check out disboards.com for Disney info. Those people are serious about their Disney. :)

Our best trip (well, we've only been twice) was the first week of October. It was still warm enough to swim, but we didn't wait more than 15 minutes for any attraction. The second time we went, we were there at the end of September and while the lines still weren't bad, our wait times were a little longer.

We don't have much choice because DH is a public school teacher, but he has a September break, and we've had good luck going then. It's still crazy hot, but the crowds are some of the lowest all year and so are the prices. If we could go anytime, I'd probably go in late Jan/early Feb; I'd much rather chance cold weather than deal with the heat. But I'd rather deal with either than with crowds, so avoiding them is my top priority.

We go in November. It's off-season, so prices are lower at the hotels and for flights, usually. Also, the weather is generally in the lower 80's, and the parks are not crowded. Also, the Magic Kingdom as Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party events starting in November, and it's AWESOME.

They close down the whole park at 4 pm, and only those with tickets to the event are admitted, so it's like 10,000 or less people. They serve Christmas cookies and hot cocoa or cider, and it's topped off with a great parade and a fantastic fireworks show. It ends at midnight.

If you look at the hours of operation, you can tell what they think will be the busy days. Times of year that are usually very busy, the park will be open long hours. The thing is, you have to wait in long lines and most often still can't ride as many rides as you could on the "off" days/shorter hours. Once you have it narrowed down that way, don't choose any time of year that will be HOT... end of May - end of Sept at least. A very hot day at Disney amounts to a torture trip (for me, anyway).

February or October. Perfect weather, low crowd level. Only possible problems are some rides may be closed for repairs and it may be too cool to swim in Feb. DO NOT go during the summer (crowds and heat are crazy), spring break (crowds) or major holidays (crowds times two).

We went the first full week of May, our first park day was Mother's Day. It was fabulous. Weather was still fairly nice and there weren't many people. Friday was crowded but that was our last day.

We're planning to go back maybe next year and we're looking at the same week again.

We've gone Thanksgiving week, Memorial Day week, 4th of July week and one other summer week. All were fine. Summer is hot but you are in and out of it, going in to attractions and shows so much, that you get plenty of relief. People say its crazy crowded but we never found it to be bad, nor did our child with Aspergers, even during a holiday week. Disney knows how to handle crowds, which helps. We're heading there in 3 weeks, can't wait!!!

We went during the week (no weekends) at the very beginning of October. Most rides had no wait at all, the longest we waited was probably 15 minutes a couple of times. It was still warm enough to enjoy the pool at the hotel, but not so hot that we were miserable.

We went March 1 or 2 last year and it was busier than I expected. It was right before spring break for most people but there were lots of people there with their 5 and under kids. Although not awful, the lines for the younger kid rides/characters got long real fast and we were even there as soon as the park opened. But, it was instant access to Pirates of the Caribbean!

I've been at many different times. Twice at the end of January/beginning of February, and oh. As I posted to fb this last time, "February, I still love you best of all the months at WDW."

I've only been in October once. We're probably going in October the next time we go, or early November. I like it then, too, but ime, it was a little more crowded in October.

I hate May-August and late December. Hatehatehate. Don't do it.

NOT during the middle of July, like we are this year.

Seriously...I have no idea what we are thinking! Isn't the best thing about homeschooling is that you are able to go at any time of the year and aren't restricted to the hot summer months?!! :lol:

I've been in June and July and it was completely miserable and crowded. We went on our honeymoon in December and it was great hardly any crowds and the weather was perfect, however we left on the 21st which was when a lot of the Christmas crowd was coming in. We also took our little ones last year in Feb and for the first two days we nearly froze to death but the crowds were light. When we go back I think I would like to try Nov or Jan but definitely not July!:D

I prefer late Feb, though you take a chance with the weather - it may not be warm enough to swim unless you stay somewhere with a heated pool. October the weather is nice unless there is a hurricane. Personally, I like to go on Christmas day (only the actual day - the rest of that week tends to be very crowded), but I live a little over an hour away.

Sept. -- weather still quite hot, but very few crowds

Oct. -- weather more bearable, had fun at the Magic Kingdom Halloween Night

Feb. -- weather good (but most pools/water parks not open), a bit more crowded than it was in Sept.

If you go in Sept. or Oct., you can still enjoy pools & the water parks too. My dc love Blizzard Beach.

We go to Disney all the time and one time we were chatting with some cast members. They said that the week after labor day is pretty much "deserted." Don't go on Labor Day, but go that Tuesday and stay through the week. No lines.

For our family, we don't do Disney when it's hot outside. We have seasonal passes, but never go from June - September. Our big family vacation is usually at the end of October/beginning of November. We spent Halloween there. The crowds are good then. And the weather is much more bearable. Plus, they have a lot of fun Halloween activities.

we went this past DEc and it turned out to be the coldest days in Orlando in 40 years. We were so cold, we were almost cryiing. We will never go at that time again, next time we are going in Oct.

LOL, I think we were there during that same time. It was COLD. But it's not usually like that down here in December....that was pretty unusual.

Another vote for late October - early November. Beautiful weather and no lines. My FIL used to work there so we have visited all different times. Winter can be fun but you run the risk of a cold snap. Spring is crowded since all schools have different spring breaks and you run the risk of really hot weather. We were there the first week of April one year and it was mid 90s the whole week.

We go to Disney all the time and one time we were chatting with some cast members. They said that the week after labor day is pretty much "deserted." Don't go on Labor Day, but go that Tuesday and stay through the week. No lines.

We went that week last year and it was true. I was amazed by how low the crowds were. We usually go in Oct or Nov and the crowds have always been low then too but the week after Labor Day it was much less crowded than I have seen.

Fall from mid-Sept through early Dec (avoiding major holidays.) We've done most of the FL theme parks then & there is usually us and the Europeans in the park. No waiting & it's warm enough (usually) to do the water parks too. Pre-Halloween you'll have all the "Fright Night" decor while between T-Giving & Christmas they'll be decorated for that.

We went in the spring & it was tons of kids on Senior/Band/Choir trips.

We coordinate a trip for homeschoolers that includes educational programs and tours. We've been in September (Labor Day week) and it's very low crowds, but still very hot. We moved to the end of September and it was a little more crowded, but a few degrees cooler and lower humidity.

This year we're going in November so we can take advantage of the much better weather (typically in the 70's) and still low crowds. Plus we'll get to see and participate in all the seasonal festivities.

I've personally also been in December (2nd week isn't crowded - you miss Pop Warner crowds, and are there before the Christmas break flood). The weather can be iffy (a little cold), but more than likely it'll be in the 70s.

The least crowded for us was in February (2nd week). We were able to ride attractions more than once because there was no one waiting in line behind us. It's the first time that's happened to us in all the times we've been to Disney. The drawbacks are ride closures (typical for Jan/Feb every year) and the weather was the coldest we've ever experienced, plus more rain (longer lasting) than usual... but it may have just been that one year.

If you're interested in going in November this year (Nov 12-19), we'd love to have you join us. We have a large group each year, and this year we got great group rates at the Contemporary Resort. More info is available at http://www.carolinahomeschooler.com/travelwdw.htm (You don't have to stay at the Contemporary - stay where you want, on-property or off.)

Edited to add: We've also been in August. Bad idea - very, very crowded, and very, very hot.

Warmly,

Dianna

I went about two years ago in mid-January (made sure to avoid MLK weekend and marathon weekend) and didn't really have to wait long in lines. The hotel pools are heated, so swimming is fine, but I thought that I was going to freeze to death going from the pool back to our room. We had one or two really cold evenings (I think there was a big frost that year that destroyed some of the orange crop), but we thought it was great because there were even fewer people in the parks--I did have to draw the line at not going on Splash Mountain in freezing temps, even though DH was trying to convince me that we should because there was no line at all.

Okay, let me preface this by saying I am a total Disney-nut. My personal favorite time to go is early December, but there are other great times.

September is one of the absolute lowest crowd times. Most of the Fall is pretty good in general, but avoid when schools are out for Fall break because there will be an influx of traffic. Halloween at Disney is super fun, but Mickey's Not-So-Scary Halloween Party has gotten absurdly crowded in recent years.

December up until the week before Christmas is great. The parks and resorts have fabulous decorations. Once people are off work and out of school for Christmas, there is a huge crowd surge.

The crowds die down about a week into January and do not really pick back up until Spring Break.

Just don't go in the Summer or during Spring Break. I think that being able to go to Disney during low-crowd times is one of the awesome perks of homeschooling.

Be on the look out for Free Dining (stay on-site with a certain Magic Your Way package and get Free Quick Service Dining for Value Resorts or Free Dining for Moderates and up). They've been offering this at various times throughout the year, but most often when traffic is lower (September-December).

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. Also, check out http://www.disboards.com. It's a great resource for trip planning.

Do you know about Disney Homeschool days? Tickets are about half price through the Disney Y.E.S. (Youth Education Services) program. You have to buy through the program and have the tickets sent to you, but they are great.

We paid $156 for a 5 day park hopper plus 4 vouchers to either the waterparks or Disney Quest.

Homeschool days are typically the 3rd week of Sept and the 3rd week of January, but you have the week before the event, the week of the event, and the week after to use them if you can't make it the exact week of homeschool days. However, once you activate them, you have only 14 days to use them.

We can't go in Sept. because of DH's schedule, but we have gone in January and it was great. We also like October and May.

Dawn