Menu

Am I the Only One...

who isn't worried about anything? I know that gas prices are skyrocketing, making pretty much the cost of living rise as well. Food prices are going up, heating prices too and etc. But there's talk of recession and our economy going to the dogs. But I just don't feel the discomfort that a lot of people seem to feel. I'm not sure why... I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way.

I am stunned everytime I go shopping. We shop twice per month and in the two weeks between paydays I am blown away by how much prices on some things increase.

Last payday canola oil had nearly doubled in price.

Today is payday and I am wondering what surprise awaits me at the grocery store this time.

I am finding it very, very hard to feed my family as the prices have gone up but my budget has been the same for years.

I wouldn't say that I'm exactly worried. I'm just surprised at how quickly so many things have increased in price. We are trying to plan accordingly, and I really do know how to squeeze a food dollar til it screams if I need to. Planning ahead, living on less than we earn, and stocking up are ways that help me to feel secure. Also, my Dad owns the cattle on a thousand hills, so we don't have to worry about things like that! ;)

who isn't worried about anything? I know that gas prices are skyrocketing, making pretty much the cost of living rise as well. Food prices are going up, heating prices too and etc. But there's talk of recession and our economy going to the dogs. But I just don't feel the discomfort that a lot of people seem to feel. I'm not sure why... I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way.

Yep. I know that some people are hurting, but other than paying more at the pump, I'm not seeing alot of "pain". Our spending habits haven't changed because they haven't needed to.

I think oil prices are going to remain high. Limited refinery capacity and increased demand via China and India are going to insure that. The housing bubble seems to have burst, and we've probably bottomed-out there.

I heard on the radio today that in March 2007 NY state received something like 550 million in tax revenue in from the Wall Street corporate tax base (banks and brokers in NYC). They received a twaddling 73 million in March 2008 from the same tax base. That is going to hurt. Look for sky rocketing state budget deficits and inflation.

We shall see:confused:

Nope........ I have hardly a care. ......and my husband was laid off 3 months ago.... but he'll get a job, and the world will continue on..... maybe it's my faith, I don't know... but no worries here, mate.

I tend to worry about the things that I have control over far more than those I don't. Life is too short to die a thousand deaths. I hope to do it only once, so I really try to just be ok with things... kinda go with the flow. Otherwise, I might as well plan my heart attack for next Thursday afternoon. :ack2:

I guess it depends on your income.

When I start making decisions based on cost over what it is I really want (ie all organic) it worries me that one day I will not be able to afford any of it - organic or not!

My shopping habbits are definately changing and I know it will only get worse - til the bottom falls out......and then it will change alltogether - with people going back to a simpler way of existing....that might be good.

But like the other poster mentioned - what about all the old folks on a fixed income?

For people who say they are not worried - or it has not affected them - I can only envy their finances!

But like I said - maybe change will do us all some good in the long run.

No, I tend not to worry over things like this. It's really hit hime to me in recent years that God is my provider and he hasn't let me down yet. I don't think the rising cost of fuel or food is going to hinder His provision. :)

That said, I was very surprised yesterday at the grocery that cheese, oil, meats were so stinking high! I'll adjust our budget to accommodate and adjust our meal planning as well.

I'll worry if the hubby loses his job. As long as he is working, there are plenty of ways to cut down spending and food budgets. The Aldi is right up the street, I don't use "fancy" meats, and we've cut down on going out and eating out. I hope our country is forced to go back to living on less, and driving less. Automobiles are awesome, but have led to a disconnectedness in our culture that is really disturbing.

I think the reason that I feel a little panicky is because we have most of our money in investments and I worry what will happen to that if the economy goes south.

We are not getting younger, would like to retire at some point, and I have a son who will be beginning to apply to colleges next year.

In the next ten years, I'm looking at putting two through colleges and getting them started in life, and then my husband will be looking toward retirement. All this will depend upon our investments, and I'm feeling uncertain about how those will fare. I'm encouraging my husband to pull back into more and more secure things, but at some point, not much of anything is secure..... And I can only get him to do so much.

SO, the only thing I can do right now is try to be as frugal as possible, and that's what I'm searching around to try to accomplish - frugality and spareness. (Plus, I'm also at a time in my life where I feel this is really more what I want in life, instead of so much of the excess we've always lived with here in our country. I'm beginning to have a feeling of "enough already; let's pare down; let's simplify".)

I rarely pay attention to prices so I don't worry about them. I also don't worry about over population, pollution, terrorism or any form of globaloney.

I mean this completely out of respect but... why would you live or um, maybe HOW is the better question, that you rarely pay attention to prices? Do you grow & raise all your own food? Don't drive a car? I 'm with you on the over population, pollution thought-- but there is no way to NOT notice that prices of everyday items (milk, eggs, gas) is really going up every week...

I also don't get those that say they aren't effected b/c their spending hasn't changed. Well... neither has mine, I am still frugal at the grocery store but the increased costs of food & gas means less is going into my savings now, and that I've had to make a few adjustments on things I bake/buy... How can one NOT be effected at all...?

what am I missing?

I was so mad last weekend when I read an article about Bush's daughter's wedding. It was one more opportunity for the media to get in a jab against Bush about the economy.... an economy with a 5% unemployment rate and a (very slightly) rising GDP. Rising costs have forced us to be more careful about our spending and driving habits, but our economy is certainly not in the tank as some would have us believe.

I rarely pay attention to prices so I don't worry about them. I also don't worry about over population, pollution, terrorism or any form of globaloney.

I would love to be able to shop without a care, I would love NOT to stand in the grocery aisle and try to make the wisest choice with the very limited amount of money I have.

I have always had to pay attention to prices, now it is just harder than ever.

I guess it depends what you mean by worried.

I'm blessed and am not feeling the pain of rising prices. However, I work with the poor and elderly and they are feeling squeezed. I can't help but be worried for them.

I agree. We are very fortunate that we aren't really being affected - and we have lots of room to cut back if we need to:001_rolleyes: - but I am concerned about my grandparents and parents, who have fixed incomes.

I'm not worried because I have no control over the causes or the outcome. I look at this as part of the normal business cycle.

But I don't have to like it.

Me, too.

We go with the flow, deal with what has to be dealt with, pay attention to details and live our lives. We have lived with periods of unemployment successfully (is that possible, lol) and survived. We will survive this as well.

Back in the late seventies when dh and I married, lettuce skyrocketed in price. We didn't eat salads, etc. Until we went to visit an older brother and his family. They served us salads! I remember him saying we keep on buying what we enjoy eating. If you gotta cut back, cut back on things you don't like.

LOL, since then the price of lettuce has fluctuated a lot...but we keep on eating salads.

We've learned to pick and choose.

Me, too.

Back in the late seventies when dh and I married, lettuce skyrocketed in price. We didn't eat salads, etc. Until we went to visit an older brother and his family. They served us salads! I remember him saying we keep on buying what we enjoy eating. If you gotta cut back, cut back on things you don't like.

LOL, since then the price of lettuce has fluctuated a lot...but we keep on eating salads.

We've learned to pick and choose.

I like salads too. I'm experimenting with growing lettuce indoors right now. With mild temps and plenty of light, I think maybe I could grow our lettuce, and maybe spinach all year long indoors. I bought extra seed just in case, so that I would have enough to last all year.

We'll see how it does :001_unsure:

could you expand on that for me.

Do you mean that you don't fret about this issue or do you think that there's just no cause for concern?

I absolutely agree that we shouldn't fret about things out of our control and yet I think these prices will affect so many of our friends and neighbours that I have to be concerned. I think it's going to change our society if it continues - some changes will be for the good and some won't be. For me, that makes it important that I pay attention.

No, you're not the only one. We've been out of work for 6 months, and even so I am *not* worried about the American economy, etc.

In a place as depressed as Michigan, there are still hours worth of waits for a restaurant table, and the movie theaters are always packed. Construction is happening. Concerts sell out. Whole Foods is always packed.

We are in the very fortunate position of not finding price increases to be painful, so they are not causing me any worry.

Years ago, when I was a single mother counting my pennies, I realized something about myself. The world could be falling down around my ears, but if I am feeding my children well I don't worry much about life's problems.

Those times I have struggled to put food on the table for my little ones, though, are the times I have been an absolute basket case over any and every *issue* in my life.

...Rising costs have forced us to be more careful about our spending and driving habits, but our economy is certainly not in the tank as some would have us believe.

Some people don't have to be forced into being more careful about their spending and driving habits because they were already careful.

It's times like these where food prices are rising so quickly, and the cost of getting to work is more than doubling and people who were just making it are finding themselves no longer able to make it.

That is why some people are worried.

If this inflation had happened last year, we would have lost our home. This year, we are better financially but instead of being able to take advantage of my husbands pay raise, it's now going to gas and food.

I'm not saying you should constantly worry about the economy - especially if you have ways to further cut expenses - but don't pretend it's not happening.

It depends on how you define "worry"...we have made certain adjustments like monitoring our gasoline usage, shopping local, etc. and we use coupons more than we used to, spend a little less on frivoulous items, etc. But do I worry as in get upset and lose sleep over it? No, it's all part of God's master plan and I trust His decisions more than my own!

It depends on how you define "worry"...we have made certain adjustments like monitoring our gasoline usage, shopping local, etc. and we use coupons more than we used to, spend a little less on frivoulous items, etc. But do I worry as in get upset and lose sleep over it? No, it's all part of God's master plan and I trust His decisions more than my own!

I feel the same way, I don't "worry" about it or lose sleep over it but I imagine there are people who are really feeling it and I don't want to be one of those people who have the "let them eat cake" attitude, if you KWIM?

Guest Virginia Dawn

It must be nice. Yes, I worry, not about not being able to eat or have shelter, because I do trust God for those things. But I do worry about having to live paycheck to paycheck, hand to mouth. I can see the possibility of this happening for my family. I consider my husband's paycheck fixed income, it isn't going to get any bigger anytime soon and its value is decreasing rapidly.

He works in the tourist industry too, how hard will that be hit?

I admit it, I hate having to scrimp and scrabble. It makes me cranky. I just want to be comfortable. I don't like being cold. I don't like not being able to go anywhere. It doesn't make me lose sleep , but it does make me lose my cool. I guess that is a fault that I need to deal with.

Well for us, we are worried because as food and gas goes up, we have less $ to simply live on. We are barely making our bills now and I have no clue what we will do if prices continue going up.

I've talked to my DH about it as I see things come up in conversation here. Overall, we're not worried, at least not yet. When we purchased this house 3 years ago, we purposefully chose a house well within our price range and had 20% to put down as well. Last year we paid off our 2nd car. We're spending more these days than we did 3 years ago for gas and food but we have the room in our budget for the price increases because we're living sensibly with regards to our home, utilities, services and our cars.

I feel badly for the family that purchased our last home. They were neighbors and were happy to get our house because it was an upgrade for them. But it was definitely a huge stretch for them. I've often wondered if they are even still living there. When we moved, not only did our mortgage decrease but all our utilities did too. I confess I miss my big house, but I really don't miss the higher bills.

I would love to be able to shop without a care, I would love NOT to stand in the grocery aisle and try to make the wisest choice with the very limited amount of money I have.

I have always had to pay attention to prices, now it is just harder than ever.

Same here and for us, it's not like we can put less into savings as we dont even have a savings. As prices go up we have less to pay bills or buy food with. So I get to chose food or electricity. Thats reality for a lot of folks, so yes, it's scary.

I've learned . Not to worry about things you can't change. Don't borrow worry from tomorrow. I've always been a What ever happens happens mind set. Ijust found out that is something I inherited from my Oma who went through 2 WW in Germany. When the air strike sirens went off sometimes she went to the bunkers and sometimes she just went back to sleep "whatever will be will be" There was one time she did go to the bunker and her apartment was hit and there was a time she did not go to the bunker and the bunker was hit. She lived to 85. I have a friend that gets upset with me for not getting concerned or joining in her worry but it's just not in my German nature.

I was so mad last weekend when I read an article about Bush's daughter's wedding. It was one more opportunity for the media to get in a jab against Bush about the economy.... an economy with a 5% unemployment rate and a (very slightly) rising GDP. Rising costs have forced us to be more careful about our spending and driving habits, but our economy is certainly not in the tank as some would have us believe.

I think that is all in where you live, what your dh or you do for a living, etc. It may not be in the tank for you, but for somebody that was laid off or somebody that works in the building industry - the economy is really bad. I was laid off after working for a great company for 12 years. Terrific work at home job with amazing benefits. My boss cried when she told me what she had to do. That really took a toll on our budget and sent us on a whirlwind of a ride. My best friend's mom just got laid off after 20 years of service. She is 58 and only really knows how to do the job she has been doing. I am thinking the economy might be tanking for her. I am not trying to be harsh, but it is in the perspective of your living situation if the economy is really bad or not. My mom and my sister are both on SS. They only get so much money. If gas, utilities, groceries, etc. go any higher - it will really affect them greatly. This is the WORST I have ever seen in my 18 years of budgeting for a family. I can only pray it levels out and doesn't get worse.

Same here and for us, it's not like we can put less into savings as we dont even have a savings. As prices go up we have less to pay bills or buy food with. So I get to chose food or electricity. Thats reality for a lot of folks, so yes, it's scary.

Honestly, I think most people expect prices to go up over time, but it's happening so fast and the increase is so sharp that even people who were responsible and didn't over extend themselves are starting to get scared.

You are not alone in this. Food or Electricity is not a fun choice to make and I hope things turn around for your sake and all the other people in this country who will worry (with good reason, I might add!) about how they will fill their gas tank to get to work or who have to make a choice between going to the grocery store or paying their electric bill. Although we're (finally!) in a very good place, financially, I have been there, I know.

One last thing to add, I don't think it's healthy to worry all the time about things you can't change but some people are worrier's and some are not. I have spurts of worry but mostly, I'm optimistic! ( ~I had to add this because, dang... I sound kind of worried and whiny in this thread and that is NOT ME! when everyone told me last year to put my kids in full time daycare and go back to work, I told them it can be tough but it's not that tough! :D)

How can one NOT be effected at all...?

what am I missing?

I think the difference is Margin. A family living near or beyond their means is going to feel the crunch more than a family living well below their means. A family who has more money than they need may barely notice that the price of milk is $4.50 instead of $4.00, or may only take a passing glance when it costs $50 to fill up their tank, instead of $40. A person who is barely scraping by is going to notice everything!

I am not trying to be harsh, but it is in the perspective of your living situation if the economy is really bad or not. My mom and my sister are both on SS. They only get so much money. If gas, utilities, groceries, etc. go any higher - it will really affect them greatly. This is the WORST I have ever seen in my 18 years of budgeting for a family. I can only pray it levels out and doesn't get worse.

This is an excellent point. I for one, need to keep that in perspective. It reminds me of something that I read in college over 20 years ago. The essay was entitled "The Optionnaires" and it was all about how there are some people who always seem to have options. If Plan A doesn't work out, there's always Plan B. They are people who always have someone/something on which to fall back, therefore avoiding ruin.

There are others who have far fewer options, and the ones that they do have are pretty undesirable.

That whole concept really made an impression me and has obviously stayed with me.

:iagree: I nearly fell over when we purchased olive oil and canola this weekend. Prices just keep jumping here week after week and my food budget is taking hit after hit. Oh, and my very low tech price book (the last months receipts) is my very own proof/nightmare. I wish it were all in my head or just much ado about nothing.

I am stunned everytime I go shopping. We shop twice per month and in the two weeks between paydays I am blown away by how much prices on some things increase.

Last payday canola oil had nearly doubled in price.

Today is payday and I am wondering what surprise awaits me at the grocery store this time.

I am finding it very, very hard to feed my family as the prices have gone up but my budget has been the same for years.

I don't know... maybe I'm not worried because we did at one time hit bottom. We lost a house... we had to declare bankruptcy, my husband was out of a job for 6 months. We're no where near that right now. We've learned to scrimp and save and cut corners all over the place. We live a modest life... we rent, even thought we could probably buy right now. We've already looked into it... but we've decided against it because eventually we want to leave Michigan and we think buy here now would be stupid on our part. We only have one car. I've noticed prices going up in both gas and food. But our spending hasn't really changed. But not as much is going into our savings so I guess I see it there too. But I would say we're living a bit easier now than say 5 years ago. I just can't bring myself to worry like I did back then...

I have to admit I'm a little worried about the prices going up like they are. When the cost of some items on my shopping list have doubled since the week before, it does get my attention.

But to put it into perspective: I do a lot of genealogical research and in reading newspapers from the 1800s, they were writing about the same kinds of things. And we're still here. ;-)

I'm not worried. Gas and food are the only places I'm really feeling this and we're just making due. I'm trying to shop smarter for food but with the gas, well, it is what it is. I need to drive around.

I am noticing a weird attitude and vibe out there though when I'm out shopping. I can't put my finger on it. It's weird. I just can't explain it. It's like everyone is just on edge.

I have noticed though that the people at McDonalds and Burger King are getting very stingy with their chicken nugget sauce. They never ask anymore if you want it and when you ask for it they give you only one. I always ask for three because my ds eats alot of nuggets. Sometimes we have 10 of them. And those chicken tenders from McDonald are pretty big and meaty so you really need alot of sauce. When I ask for more sometimes I get a snotty look. Once someone at McDonalds told me that it is their policy that they can only give out 2 but she'll give me 3 THIS time. I know it's a silly thing but I have noticed this for about 4 months now. I remember when they used to hand you handfuls of the stuff.

It just seems like everyone is scaling back. Even the big companies.

Some people don't have to be forced into being more careful about their spending and driving habits because they were already careful.

It's times like these where food prices are rising so quickly, and the cost of getting to work is more than doubling and people who were just making it are finding themselves no longer able to make it.

That is why some people are worried.

If this inflation had happened last year, we would have lost our home. This year, we are better financially but instead of being able to take advantage of my husbands pay raise, it's now going to gas and food.

I'm not saying you should constantly worry about the economy - especially if you have ways to further cut expenses - but don't pretend it's not happening.

Wow, I think you misunderstood my post. I grew up dirt poor, and I am grateful not to be dirt poor any more. But I've never been particularly well off either. We are very frugal. I stopped reading books about how to cut expenses long ago, because we were already doing the things that are recommended in the books. But regardless of the rising prices, we are getting by. Maybe because I've been poor, I know that even if things get a lot worse, we would survive, even if we're not as comfortable as we are now. And worrying doesn't change a thing.

I never said prices aren't rising. What I said is that the US still has a strong economy. By all of the measures that I learned in my college economics classes, that is the truth. And as someone else said, restaurants still have long lines; movie theaters are still full, etc.

I think that is all in where you live, what your dh or you do for a living, etc. It may not be in the tank for you, but for somebody that was laid off or somebody that works in the building industry - the economy is really bad. I was laid off after working for a great company for 12 years. Terrific work at home job with amazing benefits. My boss cried when she told me what she had to do. That really took a toll on our budget and sent us on a whirlwind of a ride. My best friend's mom just got laid off after 20 years of service. She is 58 and only really knows how to do the job she has been doing. I am thinking the economy might be tanking for her. I am not trying to be harsh, but it is in the perspective of your living situation if the economy is really bad or not. My mom and my sister are both on SS. They only get so much money. If gas, utilities, groceries, etc. go any higher - it will really affect them greatly. This is the WORST I have ever seen in my 18 years of budgeting for a family. I can only pray it levels out and doesn't get worse.

Well, I was speaking about the big picture, national economy. But that doesn't make it any easier for the industries and individuals that are being hard hit right now. I hope things ease up for you soon. Are you still trying to sell your house in FL?

I have noticed the price increases in some areas, but I wouldn't say that I'm worried. Our economy is not in a recession, despite rising prices, etc. We haven't met the definition b/c there have not been two consecutive quarters of negative economic growth in GDP.

I *am* conerned that a lot of the press about it seems to ignore the likely underlying causes of these increases -- both natural (weather) and political. B/c I don't want to start a flame war about politics, though, I won't get into a lot of detail here. ;-)

Lisa

Wow, I think you misunderstood my post. I grew up dirt poor, and I am grateful not to be dirt poor any more. But I've never been particularly well off either. We are very frugal. I stopped reading books about how to cut expenses long ago, because we were already doing the things that are recommended in the books. But regardless of the rising prices, we are getting by. Maybe because I've been poor, I know that even if things get a lot worse, we would survive, even if we're not as comfortable as we are now. And worrying doesn't change a thing.

I never said prices aren't rising. What I said is that the US still has a strong economy. By all of the measures that I learned in my college economics classes, that is the truth. And as someone else said, restaurants still have long lines; movie theaters are still full, etc.

Sorry for misunderstanding your post.

I was kind of focusing on why individuals are worried (rapid inflation and high gas prices) and not the national economy.

I also was looking through my posts on this and I sound like a worry wart - but I am not! You make a good point... times are sometimes hard and the world does not end even if there are days when people feel hopeless. There is always hope! I just wanted to make the point that it's hard not to worry when you realize you might not have enough gas to get to work in the morning and there is no $ in your account. :mellow: It takes a strong person to not worry but I will agree with you 100% that worry won't get you far!

Actually, restaurants aren't as full as normal. Many places are struggling because they have lost lots of business. If you speak to people in the food industry, they will share this with you. My dh just told, today, that the boat manufacturer in town is closing. 200 people will be laid off. Why? They said people are not buying boats with huge gas tanks. People don't have the freed up money to use on a hobby like boating. As I said earlier, the economy may seem strong for some, but not those 200 people that were laid off today. They won't be at Red Lobster tonight or probably anytime in the near future.

Well, I was speaking about the big picture, national economy. But that doesn't make it any easier for the industries and individuals that are being hard hit right now. I hope things ease up for you soon. Are you still trying to sell your house in FL?

We were not able to sell our house in Florida. God did send us some wonderful tenants that are paying the mortgage. We are doing okay, but I just know so many that are not. My bil owns a painting company. There are no houses being built, so he doesn't have much in the way of work. A good friend's dh is a truck driver. They are having a tough time with the gas prices. It is just all around me. I am just praying it all turns around soon.

I am not worried.

However, I am keeping an eye on things, we have scanned our budget to see how much of a safety margin we have before our lifestlye has to change much, we have had a couple of conversations about the price rises and how they are affecting us already. Seems like common sense to just stay grounded to our particular situation in relationship to the changing local and world economy.

But that's different from "worried". Things aren't bad enough yet to get "worried", to lose sleep over. We don't yet know how bad this is going to get. And I don't think I would be beyond getting "worried" if it got bad.

It must be nice. Yes, I worry, not about not being able to eat or have shelter, because I do trust God for those things. But I do worry about having to live paycheck to paycheck, hand to mouth. I can see the possibility of this happening for my family. I consider my husband's paycheck fixed income, it isn't going to get any bigger anytime soon and its value is decreasing rapidly.

He works in the tourist industry too, how hard will that be hit?

I admit it, I hate having to scrimp and scrabble. It makes me cranky. I just want to be comfortable. I don't like being cold. I don't like not being able to go anywhere. It doesn't make me lose sleep , but it does make me lose my cool. I guess that is a fault that I need to deal with.

:iagree: Our income is pretty fixed... to an extent. same money coming in with just aout $10-50 a month flex and prices rising.

Yes, i get to worry.