Menu

It's like old-school apps: they've got a track for that. Little Susie finds out she wasn't a REAL friend to Little Betty after Little Betty dies a horrific death & goes to hell because Little Susie failed to "share Jesus" with her friend.

You know the Hunchback of Notre Dame? We saw that in 1st grade, & the only part I understood or remembered was the guy trying to wash the blood off his hands, but it wouldn't go away. That's how not "sharing Jesus" with every. person. you. see. was presented to me. The other guy doing his morning jog, the gas station attendant. Every. body.

Yep. Because if you don't, you are personally responsible for that person's ****ation, and will be judged by God for it. This would be my father's version of Christianity.:confused:

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. Because if you don't, you are personally responsible for that person's ****ation, and will be judged by God for it. This would be my father's version of Christianity.:confused:

It's fine to laugh at that as an adult, but I really cannot impress upon you all enough how MUCH I believed this as a kid.

It's fine to laugh at that as an adult, but I really cannot impress upon you all enough how MUCH I believed this as a kid.

Ugh. :grouphug: I think doing that to little kids is child abuse.

It there a chick tract about Jesus crying for all the people who completely miss the point and spread fear and hatred in His name?

Believe me--I'm not laughing at it. I lived and believed it, too. We were immersed in that sort of worldview.

I once got a Jack Chick tract in my Halloween bag. How perfect is that? :D

Bill

Yep. I remember getting them in my bag too. And took comfort in knowing they would likely be egged and TPed something fierce by the neighborhood kids later that night.

My kids have gotten them in their Halloween bags too.

I don't let them eggs or TP houses.

Though I do wistfully contemplate it.;)

We are assigned to vote at a church in our district that has a rack of these in the entry area. A couple of years ago, the line was pretty long, so we were standing there, waiting. My DS saw the word, "Catholic" on the front of one, and picked it up. After a couple of minutes, he said, "Mom, what is this?" "Don't they realize this whole thing is full of errors?" "I don't think they asked someone who's actually Catholic to help them with it. If they would have, they could've written a true one.":lol:

I was thankful for his age, his adherence to logic, and his willingness to only see the good in people.;)

Ugh. :grouphug: I think doing that to little kids is child abuse.

It there a chick tract about Jesus crying for all the people who completely miss the point and spread fear and hatred in His name?

I hate any Jesus crys when...statements. Precious Moments theology. Ugh.

We visited a church with a display of those tracts once and dh and I swiped them all and pitched them in the trash. (We are Christians. Those are appalling.)

Spycar: Up until a couple of years ago Tony Alamo was operating out of Arkansas and his followers were out in mass CONSTANTLY littering the landscape with his ridiculosity.

Here is an update on him: http://www.tonyalamonews.com/

Those rank right up there with the movie 'A Thief in the Night' for some of the scariest things that happened to me in my childhood.

That was the creepiest movie. I had nightmares (daymares?) for ages after being forced to watch it.

Maybe it's not a good idea or not possible to keep polite...if that's the case, we can revert to kilts. (I guess the bean dip is passe!)

They've been mentioned a few times lately, so I googled last night, & found that I was very familiar w/ these. In fact, I'm not sure I've seen anything else. They were prolific at most of the churches I've ever been to, esp the Churches of Christ in which I grew up.

So I clicked through a few of them last night, & I haven't been able to sleep since. When I was a kid, this was because I was SO scared of being sent to Hell if my mother wouldn't hurry up & let me get baptized, because these tracts indicate that the issue is VERY b&w.

I no longer believe the vast majority of what's printed in those tracts--maybe any of it, really, since the stuff that seems to coincide w/ my beliefs is coming from such a different world view--it hardly seems fair to them or to me to call any of our beliefs the same.

Last night, then, what kept me up was...the brainwashing of it all. The Westboroness of it. Those things are chock full of logical fallacies, outright lies, & Scripture abuse. Part of me, out of morbid curiosity, wonders if this guy has his theology run by anyone--not that there aren't people who believe these things. I'm just wondering if he's a layman writing theology on his own or if he's got any...credentials or people w/ credentials...around him.

And then there's this: there's no nice way to put it, so I'll just say it (since dh isn't here to buffer; perhaps I will need to use the delete button): the tracts I read last night looked like soft-core p@rn. They illustrated child incest, complete w/ scared toddler eyes & a big hairy man & a talking bubble that implied that the situation was ongoing. In a tract about homeosexuality? That is focusing on the story of Sodom & Gomorrah?

There were several other very explicit references that I will not list. I can't believe...well, I just can't believe it. I'm speechless. And really, really nauseous. How can these things be available to children, promoted by so many churches, *popular*? I feel violated & *incredibly* sad. Most of my theology as a child came from these tracts, & now my adult eyes see that they're nothing but religious terrorism written entirely for soap-opera style shock value. Doesn't anyone realize that people read these things & BELIEVE them?

Shoot. It's going to be hard to shake this.

Yes, there are people who really do believe what's in them.

I think they have a tract to offend just about everyone. Last summer there was this family wandering around town leaving Chick Tracts on all the doors. They were all anti-Catholic ones. They did this is a French Catholic town.

Sooooooo classy and suuuuuuuch a fabulous way to convince someone to convert. :001_rolleyes: :001_rolleyes: :001_rolleyes: :001_rolleyes: :001_rolleyes: :001_rolleyes: :001_rolleyes: :001_rolleyes:

It won't let me put anymore of those eye-rollies, but that's not enough of them to express my feelings accurately. Please multiply to at least the power of 13. Thanks.

I think they have a tract to offend just about everyone. Last summer there was this family wandering around town leaving Chick Tracts on all the doors. They were all anti-Catholic ones. They did this is a French Catholic town.

Sooooooo classy and suuuuuuuch a fabulous way to convince someone to convert.

Kinda like the people who put the "Truth or Tradition?" CDs on the windshields of all the cars in the parking lot at our Orthodox church.

Yes, there are people who really do believe what's in them.

Sooooooo classy and suuuuuuuch a fabulous way to convince someone to convert. :001_rolleyes: :001_rolleyes: :001_rolleyes: :001_rolleyes: :001_rolleyes: :001_rolleyes:

It won't let me put anymore of those eye-rollies, but that's not enough of them to express my feelings accurately. Please multiply to at least the power of 13. Thanks.

Darn that smiley limit.

I showed dh the D&D one. He is now planning to send it to everyone in our RPG circle of friends. It's hilarious. My imaginary character died--I CAN'T FACE LIFE ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol:

When I worked as a waitress during college, I occasionally got tracts instead of tips. One woman told me outright that I was going to hell because I was working on a Sunday. Alrighty, then!

Hmm... so why was she in a restaurant at all? Did she think they were all 'serve yourself' style on Sundays? :tongue_smilie:

I have a good one too. I was baptized Catholic because I went to a Catholic school and my grade was getting ready to receive first communion. Then as a preteen, I was baptized in the Baptist church because they didn't recognize my Catholic baptism and I had to be saved in order to be a member of the church. One of the church ladies was horrorfied (sp?) that I had been baptized twice and told me I was going to hell because the 2nd baptism cancelled out the first one. :lol:

Hmm... so why was she in a restaurant at all? Did she think they were all 'serve yourself' style on Sundays? :tongue_smilie:

I have a good one too. I was baptized Catholic because I went to a Catholic school and my grade was getting ready to receive first communion. Then as a preteen, I was baptized in the Baptist church because they didn't recognize my Catholic baptism and I had to be saved in order to be a member of the church. One of the church ladies was horrorfied (sp?) that I had been baptized twice and told me I was going to hell because the 2nd baptism cancelled out the first one. :lol:

-1 + 1 = 0 but -1 + 2 = 1

So you just needed one more Baptist (ETA: or Catholic depending on where you've ended up) baptism to make it all okay. :D

Edited by WishboneDawn

No, it didn't. No, your not.

• 2 months later...
Guest jenniferc

I personally knew Jack Chick, as did my husband, and you guys are all SOOOO wrong about him, his tracts, and what he stands for. I am appalled at what I have read here, talk about being one-sided and not open minded. To even compare him to an evil man like Tony Alamo obviously shows that you do not know him at all. And yes, he is a recluse because he, his family and his employees are CONSTANTLY getting death threats from so called "Christian" organizations. There are actual bullet holes in the company's building. And yes, he does not agree with the beliefs of quite a few groups of people but he is a rare person in the fact that he will stand up for what he believes in rather than softening up like the rest of society simply in order to not offend or to be politically correct.

I just joined this forum today and was super excited, as I have a kindergartener that I will be homeschooling for the first time. But quite frankly after reading this thread I think I am already done before I have even started.

First, welcome to WTM, and I hope you will find some fellowship and help here in your homeschool journey! This is an old thread, one of hundreds and thousands available here, and you will find that most are not so vitriolic.

I'm sorry if what has been written offends you in this thread (and it's been awhile, so I don't remember all that was written), but I do know I've read his anti-Catholic tract and there's really nothing that can be defended there. It's not loving in the least, and in it he condemns more than half the Christian world in one fell swoop, in an unbelievably ugly way. He's wrong to do so, so whether or not he stands up for what he believes in really doesn't matter, you know? I pray the Lord will have mercy on him, his family and his employees (as I pray He will on all of us -- we're all in need of healing in our souls).

Edited by milovaný

I personally knew Jack Chick, as did my husband, and you guys are all SOOOO wrong about him, his tracts, and what he stands for. I am appalled at what I have read here, talk about being one-sided and not open minded. To even compare him to an evil man like Tony Alamo obviously shows that you do not know him at all. And yes, he is a recluse because he, his family and his employees are CONSTANTLY getting death threats from so called "Christian" organizations. There are actual bullet holes in the company's building. And yes, he does not agree with the beliefs of quite a few groups of people but he is a rare person in the fact that he will stand up for what he believes in rather than softening up like the rest of society simply in order to not offend or to be politically correct.

I just joined this forum today and was super excited, as I have a kindergartener that I will be homeschooling for the first time. But quite frankly after reading this thread I think I am already done before I have even started.

Oh well. *shrug* Hope you find another forum that fits you better. This is a pretty diverse forum with a wide range of opinions and I'm betting that if anyone searched for long enough they'd find something objectionable or offensive to them.

As for Jack Chick, when you publish misleading material you really should understand some people will react badly and others will assume certain things about you. Sounds like his life has been shaped by what's he's been dishing out for all those years. I'm not going to feel bad for him.

Edited by WishboneDawn

And yes, he does not agree with the beliefs of quite a few groups of people but he is a rare person in the fact that he will stand up for what he believes in rather than softening up like the rest of society simply in order to not offend or to be politically correct.

You mean, kind of like what people were doing here in this thread?

First, welcome to WTM, and I hope you will find some fellowship and help here in your homeschool journey! This is an old thread, one of hundreds and thousands available here, and you will find that most are not so vitriolic.

I'm sorry if what has been written offends you in this thread (and it's been awhile, so I don't remember all that was written), but I do know I've read his anti-Catholic tract and there's really nothing that can be defended there. It's not loving in the least, and in it he condemns more than half the Christian world in one fell swoop, in an unbelievably ugly way. He's wrong to do so, so whether or not he stands up for what he believes in really doesn't matter, you know? I pray the Lord will have mercy on him, his family and his employees (as I pray He will on all of us -- we're all in need of healing in our souls).

:iagree: :grouphug:

You rock. :001_smile:

You just joined today and you decided to go searching back MONTHS until you found something which made you not want to come here. Uh, ok.

And your "friend" may be nice IRL but could you ask him to keep his junk to himself?

On top of the WAY he approaches things, as Milovany has mentioned, he also is INACCURATE in what he states. I grew up on his tracts. Boy, have my eyes been opened to all the lies in his tracts about other groups, once I started historically researching them.

I'm sorry this thread has upset you enough that you may not come back. That said, this forum is made up of a great many people from a great many walks of life. Mr. Chick's pamphlets offend the vast majority of these lovely people. Sadly, his material spews hate to and about all but a very very small percentage of Christians. They also disseminate a great deal of false information about just about every faith.

He may be a lovely person as you say. I don't know. I've never met the man. Because of the things he writes about my faith I'd actually be leery to meet him. Not afraid for my life or soul, but leery of the hate Mr. Chick must have deep in his being for so many people. I don't want that to enter my life.

It would be lovely if you found a way to continue with your membership here. Take heed though, one of the rules of the board is to not do what you've done above - not agree with something said and then announce you are not coming back.

Also keep in mind that if you decide to continue hanging with us, we are made up of a good many people all of which are not fundamentalist Christian. If associating with Jews, Pagans, Buddhists, Hindus, main stream Christians, Catholic Christians, Eastern Orthodox Christians, Universal Unitarians, and one Ortholicipalicanian - West Coast synod is not something you feel comfortable doing then maybe this is the wrong group (at least the General Board) for you. And just to be clear we have atheists and agnostics running around here somewhere too. Also not to be forgotten, more of those wrong kinds of Christians - LDS and JWs. Oh, and the witches! We have witches among us and we love them wholeheartedly.

And while we will stand up and defend anyone's right to believe what they want about their faith, we will also stand together against anyone who blatantly spreads lies or tries to manipulate others away from their faith. As you've seen by reading this thread.

Pax,

Edited by Parrothead

We had these around in my church when I was little and they were not a joke. Sigh. I'm with you in the stealth attacks. In fact when I was little a mission that my church supported would go to the county fair with a "story wagon" (like a tiny gypsy caravan) and invite little kids go come in for "story time" while their parents waited outside. With the door shut. And then they would do a chick tract type story and try to get the kids to do a sinners prayer, and then send them back out to the Ferris wheel. Can you believe it? It may even still happen.

Ugh! I was told I didn't really want people to come to Christ if I didn't hand these things out. :thumbdown:

I remember them vividly, unfortunately.

Dawn

Me too. I grew up in a church that made Jesus Camp look tame, lol. There was a huge display of Chick tracts by the door, and you were expected to take handfuls every Sunday after church to distribute during the week.

As my father used to say when he was alive,"I'm not even in this conversation, and now it's my fault." ;) Poor SpyCar!

I didn't want anyone accusing me of leaving him/her out. ;):D

(Crud! I forgot our group of UUs. Gotta go back and edit that one.)

Edited by Parrothead

Since when did "standing up for what you believe in" become a universal character strength? I've heard that a lot lately, but it's ALL coming from people who are promoting HATE and LIES--not any GOSPEL at. all.

Hitler stood up for what he believed in, despite "the rest of society." Let's see...Stalin. Who else?

I'm sure there are people who admire these "men" for their fortitude and faithfulness to their cause. In some cases, though, I see "standing up for what you believe in despite the rest of society" as the most debased form of arrogance known to man.

Also keep in mind that if you decide to continue hanging with us, we are made up of a good many people all of which are not fundamentalist Christian. If associating with Jews, Pagans, Buddhists, Hindus, main stream Christians, Catholic Christians, Eastern Orthodox Christians, Universal Unitarians, and one Ortholicipalicanian - West Coast synod is not something you feel comfortable doing then maybe this is the wrong group (at least the General Board) for you.

I didn't want anyone accusing me of leaving him/her out. ;):D

(Crud! I forgot our group of UUs. Gotta go back and edit that one.)

Um, atheists. You forgot the atheists. :( ;)

I've never actually seen a Chick Tract in person, but I know we atheists are among the most evil people ever to walk the earth.

I'm sorry this thread has upset you enough that you may not come back. That said, this forum is made up of a great many people from a great many walks of life. Mr. Chick's pamphlets offend the vast majority of these lovely people. Sadly, his material spews hate to and about all but a very very small percentage of Christians. They also disseminate a great deal of false information about just about every faith.

He may be a lovely person as you say. I don't know. I've never met the man. Because of the things he writes about my faith I'd actually be leery to meet him. Not afraid for my life or soul, but leery of the hate Mr. Chick must have deep in his being for so many people. I don't want that to enter my life.

It would be lovely if you found a way to continue with your membership here. Take heed though, one of the rules of the board is to not do what you've done above - not agree with something said and then announce you are not coming back.

Also keep in mind that if you decide to continue hanging with us, we are made up of a good many people all of which are not fundamentalist Christian. If associating with Jews, Pagans, Buddhists, Hindus, main stream Christians, Catholic Christians, Eastern Orthodox Christians, Universal Unitarians, and one Ortholicipalicanian - West Coast synod is not something you feel comfortable doing then maybe this is the wrong group (at least the General Board) for you.

And while we will stand up and defend anyone's right to believe what they want about their faith, we will also stand together against anyone who blatantly spreads lies or tries to manipulate others away from their faith. As you've seen by reading this thread.

Pax,

:lol::lol::lol: Ah, the classic Ortholicipalicanian - West Coast synod.

Oooh, oooh, are LDS getting tossed in with mainline Christian for the first time? :lol:

Oooh, oooh, are LDS getting tossed in with mainline Christian for the first time? :lol:

We've been assimilated! :spam: Not sure if I should be happy about that or not. Being wierd has it's perks. :D

(okay, I realize the SPAM guy doesn't exactly "fit" here, but his posture and the proud look on his face does, I think. :tongue_smilie:)

We've been assimilated! :spam: Not sure if I should be happy about that or not. Being wierd has it's perks. :D

(okay, I realize the SPAM guy doesn't exactly "fit" here, but his posture and the proud look on his face does, I think. :tongue_smilie:)

Hmmm, I thought you were using it b/c it kinda looks like a borg. :D

We get this one at halloween every year: http://www.goodnewstracts.org/product/663575731054 - I tried to check the kids' buckets after each house to see who was giving them out, but they were moving in a herd with the neighbor kids and I stopped bothering after the 10th house.

IT's a little friendlier than the Chick ones, but still...

I have to check my kids halloween buckets too. They get at least one every year, even when we've gone to different neighborhoods. :glare:

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0001/0001_01.asp.

I haven't seen them in years. Some of them, I actually think are worthwhile (like the one linked above and some of the ones described on the website as "basic gospel"). Others, I'm not so sure about.

FTR, I am a conservative Christian, and I do not believe that baptism is essential to salvation. I do, however, believe that a personal relationship with Jesus Christ is.

That just terrified me. Stuff like that makes me so scared and afraid. I start wondering, "Do I have ENOUGH faith? Have I REALLY repented? How am I sure I have a relationship with Jesus?" I start having nightmares about hell (again.....I had them every single night from ages 7 to 23). Then I start wondering, "If faith is a gift, what if I don't have that gift?" And then I start thinking about predestination. And I feel hopeless and worthless and afraid. And then I get depressed and start thinking EVERYTHING is pointless.

I've left those sorts of churches. But, the fear is always there in the background. Fear, and those sorts of tracts, have NOT made me a better Christian. They have made me afraid and depressed. They have made me fearful and angry at God. They have not helped me love God or my fellow man. I find them to be a spiritually destructive entity.

I think those kinds of tracts are more insidious than the joke ones about various sins. But, Aubrey, I'm with you. Nauseous.

I always end up grouping you guys in my mind as part of "the wrong Christians." So when I said Catholics I was thinking of you guys too, and the JWs. :lol: