Menu

Gah. Where else (US) has gas hit $4? We did today.

Guest Katia

Here in our part of Iowa it was $3.65 today, but where my dad lives in Ohio it was $4.20. Yikes!

Needless to say, he is now NOT coming out to my dd's graduation.

I've tried hard not to get all worked up about the rising prices, and have scolded my mother for her constant complaining, but UNCLE! UNCLE! I give in!

Sheesh.

Oh my goodness you lightweights.... :tongue_smilie: California has been $4 for a while now....

We ventured to Az for the weekend and HAPPILY filled the tank for $3.55!!!!

sick sick sick

Oh my goodness you lightweights.... :tongue_smilie: California has been $4 for a while now....

We ventured to Az for the weekend and HAPPILY filled the tank for $3.55!!!!

sick sick sick

Oregon is right there with 'ya! Diesel is in teh $4.30's, and we get biodiesel at $4.78. Yikes! Thankfully we get 50 cents/gallon back on that as a tax credit. But still!!!

Guest Virginia Dawn

Ok, I've been hanging clothes out to dry, we cut the heat off early, I pestered my husband till the garden was all put in, I've been wearing my clothes over instead of washing after one wearing.

We had already cut back in many ways over the last few years. Now it's time to change my grocery shopping habits. I have been driving 25 minutes away on a dedicated day once a week for groceries. No more.

Ughhhh! Hmmm, do they make a Hybrid 12 passenger van?

Yes, but you have to do the modification yourself. Carefully cut out spots in the floor, and git those kids a' runnin'!

:tongue_smilie:

I have a 12 passenger, too.

At the moment we're paying $1.90 / LITRE & it's forcaste that petrol will go over $2 / L soon!!! That roughly translates to $8+ / gallon as our avg wage is similar so currency differences don't come into spending power.

Exactly why I've been trying to stay calm about the prices and not join the constant wailing and gnashing and newscasting. I'm trying to keep it in perspective, yk? But....whimper....$4 seems such a *line* to cross LOL.

Ok, I've been hanging clothes out to dry, we cut the heat off early, I pestered my husband till the garden was all put in, I've been wearing my clothes over instead of washing after one wearing.

We had already cut back in many ways over the last few years. Now it's time to change my grocery shopping habits. I have been driving 25 minutes away on a dedicated day once a week for groceries. No more.

So what will you do? Are you going that far because you like the particular store, or for better prices?

Guest Virginia Dawn
So what will you do? Are you going that far because you like the particular store, or for better prices?

That is the closest decent grocery store, plus it is next door to my favorite thrift store, plus that's dh's day off and I can go without children. :D

However, I have to travel to another town once a week to hand my 14yo off to dh to take to his CAP meeting. So I'm going to shop then, with the 2 younger kids in tow. Beside gas, it will probably save me money just to avoid the thrift store.

Now I'm going to have to figure out how to get time to myself without driving away from home.:glare:

Just have to put a plug in for our new Toyota Prius. Our first fill-up with it cost $25.00 and we got around 50mpg. :auto:

I dream at night of 50mpg.

I got gas the other day - and have ONLY been in town and i'm sitting at 15mpg in my Odyssey. It was 14.5 but i got to use cruise control on the way home from gymnastics last night and got it up to 15.4.

Sigh.....

Ughhhh! Hmmm, do they make a Hybrid 12 passenger van?

No, but I read about a guy who can modify just about any passenger vehicle to be hybrid and get around 100mpg. He's even done Hummers. It costs him around 25K to do it, I guess if you're already driving a 80K vehicle, what's another 25K?

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, but you have to do the modification yourself. Carefully cut out spots in the floor, and git those kids a' runnin'!

:tongue_smilie:

I have a 12 passenger, too.

:lol: Perhaps Fred Flintstone was onto something...

I haven't left the house in almost a week, but last Friday, ours was $4.09. I don't want to know what it is now. Ignorance, in this case, is indeed bliss!

-Robin

I was reading an old blog from around 2005 about peak oil. It said something about research saying that people would change habits at around $4 per gallon, which they calculated would be equivalent to $105 per barrel of oil. We're already up to around $135 last I checked earlier this week. Could it really be that the effects of $135 barrels of oil hasn't fully trickled down to the price of gas?

I read somewhere else that the price per gallon of gasoline has historically been 4.23% of the price of a barrel of oil. At $135 per barrel, that works out to $5.71 per gallon. Ouch!

Here in Utah we're at about $3.85 still.

It was something like $3.93 over the weekend. We've been home this week, but dh is out right now topping up my tank. He's started filling it up every time I hit 3/4 of a tank so it doesn't cost us so much. I know where dh works in DE it was over $4 last week and they are usually cheaper than us. We're in Chester Co. PA.

I gladly paid $4.79/gal for diesel today. I was glad because in my town it is $5.17. Even then it didn't quite get it filled. The pump shuts off automatically at $100 and since the gauge was on F, I didn't go through the procedure for the few extra gallons the tank would have taken.

I live in south east Georgia, and today we were at $3.82 gallon. I just spoke with my sister in Canada(Ontario) and she is paying $1.30 litre, which is roughly $5.20 gallon. So, we are edging our way up to the Canadian prices. Two summers ago in Canada, my husband was working away from home and driving about 700 miles a weekend....gas was $1.70 liter, which works out to about $6.80 gallon. Wow! That hurt! It didn't leave us with much out of his pay check.