Menu

Hoping this won't become another shopping cart/crockpot/shoes on or off thread but..

Microwaves kill brain cells. That is why I am smarter than you.

:auto:

:lol:

I honestly do not trust microwaves. I believe that they can change the molecular structure of things. I still use them but I try to avoid it, keep it down to only foods that aren't that healthy anyway... so I am not destroying too much, and I am very careful not to overcook.

I don't think the FDA actually approves cooking methods? Willing to be wrong here.

My coffee goes in the microwave every morning for that extra boost. I've read several cooking articles that advocate for microwaving veggies as they retain more of their nutrients. The microwave is just a different method of heating the molecules.

Unless you have a pacemaker, I don't get the danger. It seems more "boogie-manish" than real. So I genuinely ask, has the microwave been proven to be harmful to food, or are people speculating?

Because you can try to heat bread and butter in the microwave and end up with flames shooting out of your breakfast, like I did this morning.

Note to self, if you can't find the metal bread tie, it's probably stuck to the bottom of the slice of bread. Find it before turning on the microwave.

:lol::lol:

Because you can try to heat bread and butter in the microwave and end up with flames shooting out of your breakfast, like I did this morning.

Note to self, if you can't find the metal bread tie, it's probably stuck to the bottom of the slice of bread. Find it before turning on the microwave.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

:lol:

My dh stuck a jar of natural pb in the microwave to *soften* it. Huge sparks revealed that someone hadn't removed all the *foil* from the safety seal from around the edges. :lol: He actually jumped at the *flash*.

(In all fairness to him, I was quite surprised that such a *small* piece caused such a huge reaction)

I don't think the FDA actually approves cooking methods? Willing to be wrong here.

My coffee goes in the microwave every morning for that extra boost. I've read several cooking articles that advocate for microwaving veggies as they retain more of their nutrients. The microwave is just a different method of heating the molecules.

Unless you have a pacemaker, I don't get the danger. It seems more "boogie-manish" than real. So I genuinely ask, has the microwave been proven to be harmful to food, or are people speculating?

Well, I am not sure... I was told that microwaves work by causing friction to the individual molecules of food. So if you cook food too long then the molecular structure changes.

Of course we all know if you cook food too long on the grill then the molecular structure changes, but it is fairly obvious... I just wonder how easy it is for a microwave to change the molecular structure of food without us being able to tell. kwim?

Well, I am not sure... I was told that microwaves work by causing friction to the individual molecules of food. So if you cook food too long then the molecular structure changes.

Of course we all know if you cook food too long on the grill then the molecular structure changes, but it is fairly obvious... I just wonder how easy it is for a microwave to change the molecular structure of food without us being able to tell. kwim?

Right, but heat is heat. Boiling would bring about the same molecular change as would baking. I've heard the "cellular disruption" claims, but has it ever really been proven to be different from conventional cooking methods? (which would make me very sad as the microwave is my cooking friend!)

Right, but grilling is actually harmful... so couldn't microwaving have a problem too? This is what I am trying to figure out.

Wait, grilling is harmful? Why??:confused: Okay, google told me why, but I had never heard this before!

Edited by theretohere

Wait, grilling is harmful? Why??:confused:
The problem that cooking at very high temperatures break down the amino acid, creatine, in meats. When this occurs, chemical is formed, heterocyclic amines (HAs).
http://cancer.about.com/od/foodguide/a/grillingmeat.htm

Yet many consumers are unaware that grilling some popular food items can produce cancer-causing compounds called heterocyclic amines (HCAs).
http://www.cancerproject.org/media/news/fiveworstfoodsreport.php

I opened this thread expecting drama!!!! and all I got was :smilielol5:.

I like my food charred!!! And the little bits of the really cheap processed hot dogs that get burned in the microwave....heaven!!!!

I also steal all my kids burned french fries :D.

I opened this thread expecting drama!!!! and all I got was :smilielol5:.

I like my food charred!!! And the little bits of the really cheap processed hot dogs that get burned in the microwave....heaven!!!!

Okay, drama. Ummm, let's see........ AHA!

I also steal all my kids burned french fries :D.
:001_huh: How could you steal food from your children? Poor babies.....

:tongue_smilie: That's all the drama I could come up with, but it has nothing to do with microwaves.

BTW, I like the well done/burned french fries too! :D

I've heard more people worried about the containers used to reheat food in the microwave than the actual reheating of the food itself.

(My mother is convinced that her MIL's microwaving all her meals on styrofoam plates is the leading cause of her, um, specialness. )

Here is what nutritionist Sally Field and Dr. Enig wrote in their book:

The jury is still out on microwaves; there is some evidence that it changes the molecular structure of amino acids and they therefore recommend not using one because it is possible that any side effects from using microwaves would not be evident for some time. In other words in ten years, we may have enough data to study long-term effects and it could turn out okay or not.

I know this is an appeal to authority, but my husband is a physicist and he makes this face whenever someone brings up the "molecular change" argument: :rolleyes:

Dh is an engineer, and he makes the same face!

I have no idea if this is true or not, but I remember from b-feeding my children that I was told if I warmed up the milk in the microwave it would kill all those good antibodies. Also, when I used to make my son's baby-food, I would always cook it on the stovetop instead of the micro because of the same reason.

Of course, I could have been just paranoid and crazy :tongue_smilie:

Well, that's incredibly discouraging. I grill all the time thinking it's a healthier way to cook. It's not just grilling that's a problem either, but broiling or frying as well. And well-cooked meat is a problem. But, of course, salmonella and e-coli are problems if the meat is not well cooked. Basically, it's okay to grill, but just use soy burgers and portobella mushrooms? Oh, but I've read lots of stuff that says soy isn't healthy either. :confused::confused:

It sounds like a vegetarian diet is best, but there's no way we can do that with all my son's allergies and my need for protein at each meal. Wow.

Lisa

From this site http://bodyecology.com/articles/microwave_dangers.php there is this bit of info...

<<Vitamin B 12 is essential for red blood cell formation, preventing anemia, and a healthy nervous system.

Decrease flavonoids by 97%!

Flavonoids have anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, and anti-microbial properties.

Break down bacteria-digesting enzymes in breast milk

Babies rely on enzymes from breast milk to establish a healthy inner ecosystem that digests food, absorbs nutrients and protects against pathogens.

Lower levels of sinapic acid derivatives

Sinapic acids scavenge for and neutralize free radicals, cancer-causing agents in your body.

Decrease antibody levels in breast milk

Antibodies in mother's milk protect babies from infections.

Microwaving foods may preserve more vitamins than boiling, for example, but that does not make it a safe and nutritious cooking choice.>>

So apparently, we are supposed to eat everything raw. No, wait, there's that nasty salmonella to worry about... :D

My husband has the same reaction and offered me the argument that all heating up alters molecules. Microwave is just a different method. My brother and his wife don't use a microwave, and I would love to know the details on both sides of the arguement.

Pizza - Microwaved leftover pizza is mushy and chewy. Toaster oven heated leftover pizza is crispy and non-mushy.

Tea - Tea water heated in the microwave makes the tea taste funny. Tea water boiled on the stove top tastes better.

Toasted cheese sandwich - Impossible to achieve in the microwave.

I rest my case.

We don't have a microwave.

Ours broke, so I began reheating our food with the stove/oven. It tasted so much better! I also didn't want to lose the counter space I had gained (I have very little counter space to begin with).

The only thing we miss it for is microwave popcorn (we use the stove top for popcorn, but we can't just send one of the kids to make it now, LOL) and reheating pancakes.

I won't do bready type items in the microwave. They get hard before they get heated. The oven works best for leftover pizza, burgers, garlic bread, pastries, toast, waffles, etc.

Anything with a high water content seems to do well in a microwave, though. We use it a lot for soup and frozen veggies. But I do water for tea in a tea kettle because it's actually faster, gets the water hotter without a big mess, and must use a lot less power (as microwaves only save power over conventional cooking because they cook faster).

The jury is still out on microwaves; there is some evidence that it changes the molecular structure of amino acids and they therefore recommend not using one because it is possible that any side effects from using microwaves would not be evident for some time. In other words in ten years, we may have enough data to study long-term effects and it could turn out okay or not.

Interesting after reading this:
To reduce any possible health risks of grilling, he advises, ditch the charcoal and try pre-cooking meat in the microwave, which reduces HCA precursors
Carnitine is a HCA precursor!

Well, that's incredibly discouraging. I grill all the time thinking it's a healthier way to cook. It's not just grilling that's a problem either, but broiling or frying as well. And well-cooked meat is a problem. But, of course, salmonella and e-coli are problems if the meat is not well cooked. Basically, it's okay to grill, but just use soy burgers and portobella mushrooms? Oh, but I've read lots of stuff that says soy isn't healthy either. :confused::confused:

It sounds like a vegetarian diet is best, but there's no way we can do that with all my son's allergies and my need for protein at each meal. Wow.

Lisa

I would read up on it some more. There is quite a bit of information there and I don't recall anything about your meat needing to be rare rather than well done.

Without reading ahead... (and I'm somewhat pro-microwave, generally speaking ;))

Ds's doctors have told us not to microwave his amino acid formula. When I made a face and said "Um... you're not supposed to microwave ANY formula..." they said, "Yes, but it's EXTREMELY important to not microwave elemental formulas."

That said, I'd never nuke any baby food for temperature control reasons, but I'm okay with nuking things for the other kids now and then.

Oh brother! I say eat. Grill. Live your life!

A friend of mine just died two weeks ago from an eleven year battle with various cancers, beginning with breast, and ending with bone. Even before she got cancer she was a vegetarian and the most healthy woman I've ever known. If it was healthy, she ate it, if it wasn't, she didn't. She worked out religiously and ate perfectly. She contracted and died from cancer anyway. (she was 43)

My dad does and eats everything one shouldn't. He's been smoking cigarettes since the age of 12, drinking (he's an alcoholic) since around the same age. Likes EVERYTHING charred and over cooked. He's now in his eighties and one of the healthiest 80 year olds I know.

So, again I say, Eat. Grill. Live your life!

The death rate is 1 in 1...EVERYONE is going to die at some point. I'm not advocating eating a bunch of crap, but if you like your meat BBQ'd...then BBQ it!...or microwave it! (tho, I personally find microwaved meat a tad disgusting :lol:)

Edited by Melissa in CA

If you don't have a microwave how are you supposed to cook?:tongue_smilie::confused:

When I was dating DH, we had "day after Thanksgiving" dinner with FIL and his shrew. She was INCREDIBLY proud of the fact that she had cooked the entire dinner (except the salad!) in her TWO microwaves. We had turkey legs, peas, and "baked" sweet potatoes.

Until then, I didn't know anyone who used the microwave for anything other than: thawing a frozen bagel, popcorn, and warming up leftovers.

I have opted to not repeat her "success" with this dinner.