Menu

What did you think of her DRESS?

I think that she continued to make the statement that she has already established her style and it was shown in her veil, tiara and gown.

Her gown reminded me of Princess Margaret's gown some 50 years ago but Meg's didn't have the gorgeous lace work.

I guess my biggest surprise was when some British correspondent was talking about the fact that William may not ascend to the throne till he is almost 60 yrs of age. Wow --

I agree.

And FWIW, I think Prince William's father is a putz and Camilla is ... well... what she is. Hopefully it'll come sooner than when he's almost 60! His father has zero class.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We (dd, my mom, sis, & I) thought the dress looked very pretty on her. I was immediately reminded of Princess Grace's dress when I saw Kate this morning. Loved Pippa's dress too. William & Harry looked quite dapper & handsome in their uniforms.

I loved seeing all the hats the guests wore and, for the most part, loved them. (Didn't care too much for Bea's & Eugenie's, though.) Very fun looks for many. Loved the Beckhams' look as a couple. Loved the Queen being in bright yellow & it was fun to see Prince Phillip's array of medals. Camilla's outfit was a dud, imo. And, what was up w/ Chelsey Davie's (sp?) hair??? It looked so messy & her hat was so non-descript. Maybe she's not a 'hat' person...?

We had a grand time watching this morning (even though we were up at before 4am to start watching). Ds even came down in time to watch the ceremony (though he bailed before they made their balcony kiss appearance :lol:). My sis actually drove in yesterday (6 hr. drive) so we could all hang out & watch together. Sis is an event/wedding coordinator & she said it will be fun to see how much the looks from this wedding will be copied in the coming months....

Iloved her dress! It had the youthful strapless look with the lace sleeves for WA. What struck me the most was her choice of veil and train length. I would have expected cathedral length. Diana's was 25ft and hers was 9ft. My mom said Diana famously struggled with hers so maybe that was part of the reason.

It seemed to me that many choices she made for her wedding- the trees to be replanted at Highgrove, her outfit, hair and makeup, the prayer they wrote,the size of the wedding party etc.had a refined and I don't know how to say almost "austere" or "simple" feel for a royal wedding. Did anyone else get the same feeling? I can see her heading toward's a "people's princess" role like Diana...

Iloved her dress! It had the youthful strapless look with the lace sleeves for WA. What struck me the most was her choice of veil and train length. I would have expected cathedral length. Diana's was 25ft and hers was 9ft. My mom said Diana famously struggled with hers so maybe that was part of the reason.

It seemed to me that many choices she made for her wedding- the trees to be replanted at Highgrove, her outfit, hair and makeup, the prayer they wrote,the size of the wedding party etc.had a refined and I don't know how to say almost "austere" or "simple" feel for a royal wedding. Did anyone else get the same feeling? I can see her heading toward's a "people's princess" role like Diana...

They only recently had riots over austerity measures so I think it would not have been appropriate to have been completely over the top pagentry in that situation.

They also mentioned that her parents were permitted to make contributions to the costs of the wedding.

LOVED the dress -- I thought her whole ensemble was just gorgeous -- the tiara, the veil.... I'm probably in a very small minority, though, and thought she should have worn her hair up. It was beautiful down, but I think it would have been prettier up. That's just nitpicky, though. She looked lovely...and very happy!

:iagree:

Nope, you're not. My reaction? "Meh". Just nothing whoop de doo, imo. Any bride could have worn it, off the rack...just nothing special.

I'm betting that if you could see the dress n person your reaction would be different. There was a lot of intricate lace and embroidery that just didn't show up on the TV well at all. I still loved the dress though. Hope covered shoulders and sleeves come back in style now.

I agree.

And FWIW, I think Prince William's father is a putz and Camilla is ... well... what she is. Hopefully it'll come sooner than when he's almost 60! His father has zero class.

:iagree: Do not like Charles or Camilla. At all.

Loved the dress. Loved the veil and tiara. Love Kate and William.

I thought the dress was classic looking.

:iagree: Do not like Charles or Camilla. At all.

Loved the dress. Loved the veil and tiara. Love Kate and William.

I thought the dress was classic looking.

I love Charles and Camilla and think it's a shame that old fashioned ideas of what a prince's bride needs to be kept them apart for so long. I also want Camilla's outfit. Beautiful.

I didn't like the dress - I thought it looked old fashioned -as in out of date not timeless.

I loved Pippa's dress and Mrs Middleton - Kate should have taken some tips from them LOL.

Victoria Beckham is such a sour puss -does she ever smile. Not only is she not smiling but her face is screwed up in this painful look - maybe her shoes were too tight :D

As for Charles and Camilla - I couldn't bear to watch them - I couldn't help thinking if it wasn't for them Diana might have gotten to see her son's wedding - instead that old cow got to enjoy it instead. :glare: I'm so glad I'm not Kate - I would hate to have them as in-laws.

As for Charles and Camilla - I couldn't bear to watch them - I couldn't help thinking if it wasn't for them Diana might have gotten to see her son's wedding - instead that old cow got to enjoy it instead. :glare: I'm so glad I'm not Kate - I would hate to have them as in-laws.

I don't get this. Would it have been better if she had been stuck in a fake marriage with Charles?

Her death was many years and many choices removed from their divorce. She had lived her own life for quite some time and in the end what killed her was an unfortunate accident.

Charles is William's father. By all accounts both William and Harry are accepting of Camilla and are very likely quite happy that he's happy. We could do worse then follow their gracious lead on this matter.

I love Charles and Camilla and think it's a shame that old fashioned ideas of what a prince's bride needs to be kept them apart for so long. I also want Camilla's outfit. Beautiful.

I don't love the but I feel bad that they were denied being together. Diana and Charles were night and day. Who ever thought that match up?! I am glad they are happy now. I don't know how it would feel to be in such a loveless marriage.

My distaste for them has everything to do with cheating on their spouses. As far as I'm concerned, that shows nothing but contempt for the other parent of their children. Want a divorce, fine. But there is an honourable way to go about things, and how they carried on for years isn't it at all.

I hope he's never King. He just doesn't strike me as having the moral compass to be viewed as the leader of church or state.

But, I guess I'm really old fashioned, and think that if you can lie, cheat, deceive your spouse, you'll do that to anyone/everyone.

If he does become King, I hope Canada severs ties.

My distaste for them has everything to do with cheating on their spouses. As far as I'm concerned, that shows nothing but contempt for the other parent of their children. Want a divorce, fine. But there is an honourable way to go about things, and how they carried on for years isn't it at all.

I hope he's never King. He just doesn't strike me as having the moral compass to be viewed as the leader of church or state.

But, I guess I'm really old fashioned, and think that if you can lie, cheat, deceive your spouse, you'll do that to anyone/everyone.

I guess I'm the only person alive who didn't like the dress. :confused:
Nope. I hated it. My reaction? "Um, I thought this was a royal wedding...? That is so understated that it's not stating anything."

The cut of the dress was classic, yes. But simply looking at all of that lace made me itch. It wasn't youthful.

And I don't see the similarity to Princess Grace's except for the lace. Grace's dress wasn't ALL lace, and there was flare to her dress below the waist that gave it some pomp and circumstance.

I thought Kate's just made her look gamine, not like a princess.

It was actually quite a bit more plain than what I was expecting.

I thought it was beautiful and was happy to show it to my DD. If a "princess" can be elegant and modest, it just adds a little bit of persuasion to it!

(At least she can't say "everyone wears strapless and low-cut!"...I can always pull out the royal wedding picture!)

More than one of Charles ancestors abdicated in order to marry the woman they loved. If he felt that strongly about Camila - and she him - then I do not understand why they married and had children with others.

I think she lost weight since the dress was made, and they had to do what they could (explains the extra fabric at the bust).

ETA: I loved the dress, but it needed 5-10 lbs more princess in it at least.

Edited by darlasowders

I don't get this. Would it have been better if she had been stuck in a fake marriage with Charles?

Her death was many years and many choices removed from their divorce. She had lived her own life for quite some time and in the end what killed her was an unfortunate accident.

Charles is William's father. By all accounts both William and Harry are accepting of Camilla and are very likely quite happy that he's happy. We could do worse then follow their gracious lead on this matter.

**LIKE**

And getting back to the original thread title- I loved the dress- it suited Catherine, was elegant & classy.Just downright gorgeous.

I like the style of the dress, but I would have gone for a different type of lace. I don't think she looked "young and beautiful". :001_huh:

The lace was designed with roses, daffodils, thistles, and shamrocks to honor/represent England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland.

The lace was designed with roses, daffodils, thistles, and shamrocks to honor/represent England, Wales, Scotland, and Ireland.
All I have seen is the pictures in the first article that came up in a search... I am thinking I am missing quite a bit, and may have a different opinion had I actually seen the telecast. :)

I thought the dress was okay. Given that the design house was Alexander McQueen's, it was quite sedate. I expected more from it. While it wasn't a spectacular stunner, it was classy and pretty. She looked lovely. I liked her after-wedding dress much better.

Everything seemed understated. Train - not that long. Tiara - not that flashy. Flowers - not very big. Earrings - small and classy. I really liked it. It showed you don't have to have the biggest/flashiest.

You can't really seem much detail of the dress. I'm sure there will be some good close ups pictures soon in magazines.

I liked the dress and the simplicity of everything else. One of the commentators mentioned that she did her own hair and makeup because she wanted William to recognize her. I'm sure that thought stretched to other accessories as well. I don't think she wanted to look like someone she wasn't just because we all expected a "royal" wedding.

No, b/c we're in a day and age that its little more than a figure head in Canada, and the idea of Chuck being on our buck makes me gag.

I wouldn't vote for someone who commited adultery for a decade or more either.

I like the figurehead role. I like having a Governor-General representing Canada in certain aspects rather then, for instance, Steven Harper. Blech.

Edited by WishboneDawn
spelling mistake

I call Harper 'The Droid'. Ick.

I have no problem with the Queen. Or William as King.

I have a problem with Chuck. As I said before, unhappy marriage, leave. But to cheat for years...its just a whole other level of deceit, and I don't respect him as a result.

I loved her dress, the nod to tradition and how understated she was. These aren't 20-something kids but 30 year olds who have been together for years. I also agree with previous posters about the UK's austerity measures; the royals had to strike a fine balance between the pageantry expected and sensitivity to all the people hurting due to the economy. I think they did a good job.

I think nearly as many brides will try to copy the evening look as will try to copy the wedding gown. Others will want a Pippa dress. Elizabeth Burton did a fantastic job.

Christine

I don't love the but I feel bad that they were denied being together. Diana and Charles were night and day. Who ever thought that match up?! I am glad they are happy now. I don't know how it would feel to be in such a loveless marriage.

I think I switched from like to love when I got a little older. :) We've got this sort o model of love as a game for the young and pretty. Here was a couple that held on (yes, and misstepped with adultery) for several decades and finally came together when they were older, fatter, wrinklier and and still deeply in love.

Since I'm fat and getting old and wrinkly, I sort of adore that. :D