Menu

Poll: Are your public school K's full time or part?

Are your public school K's full-day or part?  

1. 1. Are your public school K's full-day or part?

• Full day
    • Half day
    • Other

Just curious.

We're going through some medical issues with my eldest at the moment, and I've been increasingly tempted to put my dd in ps this year because I'm sure we'll be running around a lot doing therapies and whatnot. Except they just switched to having the K students full time, instead of just in the morning, which I really don't like.

Also, if anyone has any stories about their experiences with putting a young child in ps for a time then pulling them out after a year or two, I'd love to hear them. I don't know if it would cause more problems in the long than it would solve for me right now.

In my state, K is required to be X number of hours, and X is just enough that it's over 1/2 time-so it's not possible for a school to do two 1/2 day sessions. K is also the one mandatory grade. So except for a few private K programs, they're all full-day.

My DD went to K last year, and I pulled her out for 1st grade. It hasn't caused problems. If anything, I think her having been in school has made it easier than some of my friends who's DC have never been in a school setting, because my DD knows that school last year involved a good bit of sitting, reading, writing, and so on, so that's what she expects in homeschooling, and the fact that we're done within a couple of hours is, for her, a bonus. In comparison, some of the people with kids her age who have never been in school have had a really tough transition when they tried doing K or 1 with a child who just plain saw no reason to do "school" when they'd never done school before and, to them, nothing had changed.

Edited by dmmetler

DS was in the public school kindergarten for half days and it wasn't a big deal for him to transition home but DD was in kinder (half day) and first grade (full day) in ps and it was a bit harder for her to adjust. We're at the end of our 4th year now though, and it's been going just fine.

Ours has the option for either one right now, but is moving toward only offering full-day. The people I know who have done it have said it's a huge adjustment the first few months, kids come home exhausted at 3pm. But the people who do half-day K say the same thing about the first grade adjustment.

Full-day here. Some public schools also offer preK, which is generally very competitive to get (the schools don't have to take all zoned kids for preK and so they run a lottery), and that's frequently full-day as well.

And the only private school with half-day K that I've heard of here is one of the Waldorf schools. There may be others, but the overwhelming majority are full-day.

Which is one of the reasons we started hsing in the first place.

No experience yet with taking a child out of school although younger dd who is currently in ps will probably be hsed again next year. From what I have seen of families who did take children out of school it really only worked well when the child(ren) wanted to hs. All of them who had children who didn't want to be hsed ended up putting those children back in some sort of school.

Our district is half day for most children. Kids with IEPs and such who need additional therapies can go for a full without paying an additional fee. Typical kids can extend the day for a fee.

My niece in another major city goes to K on M,W,TH one week and just M and W the next. It's so confusing for her and not very consistent.

The small town we're in has gone full day for K. The neighboring towns are all half-day except for the charter school in one of them.

Last year my son was in 1/2 day K. My daughter started the year in full day K but decided she really liked what her brother was doing much more at home so we ended up taking her out in Nov. I didn't see any benefit to K being full day BUT she was already reading and doing math before starting so I think she got a lot less out of it than some of the other kids.

We could only find full-day kindergartens here, in both the public and the charter schools. The private schools all seemed to be full day, too.

That was a big reason why we pulled DS from his charter school and started homeschooling. We just felt like a full school day (plus homework) at 5 was way too much.

Full day here....and I HATE it...I am scared to death that my ADHD/SPD sensory seeker is going to have it rough in all day Kinder...which is why I want to homeschool...but because we have an IEP in a high regulated state I am worried that we won't be approved :(

Our schools are full-day. They will allow the child to attend K for only half-day (4 hours), but it's strongly discouraged. They do all the fun stuff in the afternoon. I had a friend who tried to have her ds attend K for half-day. After about a month, she gave up and let him stay for the full 6 hours.