Menu

Favorite skin care products

Hi all. I'm looking for a good skin care program. I'm over 40 now and realizing that probably my normal routine of, uh, basically doing nothing for my skin is not going to cut it. So what do you recommend...Oil of Olay, Mary Kay, Clinique...?

Thanks!

Jamie

Hi all. I'm looking for a good skin care program. I'm over 40 now and realizing that probably my normal routine of, uh, basically doing nothing for my skin is not going to cut it. So what do you recommend...Oil of Olay, Mary Kay, Clinique...?

Thanks!

Jamie

Mary Kay is good. I'd stay away from Clinique though. Their products are really hit or miss and a lot of people react to them. Philosophy is good. I love their Help Me and their Miracle in a Jar moisturizer is nice too. :) I love Pevonia's face wash. It feels and smells so good, but Mary Kay's Timewise is really nice too. :)

:iagree: I don't use soaps, make-up or moisterizers but I do I recommend her books and her products. In particular I use the Beta Hydroxy gel for my face. It keeps it pretty breakout free without over drying.

I also use Alpha Hydroxy (brand name) Foot & Problem Area Cream (a 12% Glycolic acid AHA) for feet, knees, elbows and other areas in need of serious exfloliation. This keeps those areas soft and young looking.

Dry skin and mineral makeup. ;)

I didn't know mineral makeup came off with only water. I'm about to go crazy as I haven't been able to wash my back after my surgery, and I have three day's worth of oil on it. I can scrape layers off -- it's horrible.

I just started using Clinique. I was using MD Formulations and I was somewhat happy with that. I thought I needed a change though. Clinique is strong I am only on my second day but I was told if I have any issues I can return the product.

Everyday:

Wash gently with warm water.

Apply Garnier Skin Anti-Sun Damage Daily Renewal Cream w/ SPF28

Night:

Wash gently with warm water and maybe a bit of non-soap foaming cleanser (any brand!) Currently using anti-bacterial foaming hand wash!

Apply Walgreen's brand of Alpha-Hydrox (8%) then wait 15-20 minutes and apply Aldi's brand (Lucerine) of Q10 restorative face cream around eyes and dry areas.

If I wear makeup, I wash with a mixture of olive oil and castor oil (75/25 ratio), rinse and pat dry. This mixture takes off all makeup and is cheap.

Once or twice a week, I use apricot scrub in the shower.

I think the best thing you can do for your skin is drink water....lots of it!

Edited by NicksMama-Zack's Mama Too

I didn't know mineral makeup came off with only water. I'm about to go crazy as I haven't been able to wash my back after my surgery, and I have three day's worth of oil on it. I can scrape layers off -- it's horrible.

You need a back brush! That's what I had to do. I can't reach all of my back and it was driving me nuts. You can get a back brush about anywhere.

I vote for Mary Kay. Full disclosure: I have been a consultant since 1996 so I may be biased. :D I love the skin care - especially the Night Solution and the Replenishing Serum +C. If you know a local consultant, call her for a free appointment to try the products.

You need a back brush! That's what I had to do. I can't reach all of my back and it was driving me nuts. You can get a back brush about anywhere.

I have one, but I cannot wash my back since that is the site of the surgery. ugh I need to have my husband clean it with a washcloth, but he's never here when I wash my hair and such in the morning. That's a lot of fun -- washing my hair in the kitchen sink.

Forty is probably about the time one should start thinking of wrinkle prevention, and my dermatologist told me that Roc products are the only drugstore line that has any significant amount of retinol in them. I used them and think they're good. Plus, they don't cost a fortune.

Looking at this from a little different angle, I'm been trying to avoid chemicals that cause other health problems. My dear mom had alzheimer's so I know that has had an impact on me. I try to check the skin deep report and I've been trying various products from Vitacost. So far, I love the Devita products I've tried.

Here's the newest alzheimer's research and cosmetics are implicated...

http://helenpapas.wordpress.com/2011/04/11/root-cause-of-alzheimers-parkinsons-and-diabetes/

Dr. Oz just had a special on this.

I love the Avon Anew line.

I also used Mary Kay for over 20 years and loved it.

Paula's Choice - definitely worth checking out. Even if you don't buy her products, she regularly reviews cosmetic products. Though she's got her own line, her reviews of other products have been fair and accurate, IME.

:iagree:

Looking at this from a little different angle, I'm been trying to avoid chemicals that cause other health problems. My dear mom had alzheimer's so I know that has had an impact on me. I try to check the skin deep report and I've been trying various products from Vitacost. So far, I love the Devita products I've tried.

Here's the newest alzheimer's research and cosmetics are implicated...

http://helenpapas.wordpress.com/2011/04/11/root-cause-of-alzheimers-parkinsons-and-diabetes/

Dr. Oz just had a special on this.

Yes, this has been on the back of my mind also. To avoid or limit chemicals. Not so much for alzheimer's for me personally, but for overall health and well-being and for lowering breast estrogen levels. Thanks for the link. Will look into it.

It's hard since I love Paula's Choice.

I also love MK Time Wise.

I do want to finally add that although I use Paula's Choice, I don't use it very often. Maybe twice a week if I'm very disciplined or not lazy. Usually even less than that. I think it's also a bit intentional. I'm trying to limit chemicals.

I don't wear make up at all. Just wash my face with water.

The less I do, the better my skin looks overall.

I happen to love exfoliation, however. The Exfolia Cloth is superb. Available from amazon or chinaberry.

Also love using baking soda and water.

Plus, a weekly mask. Sometimes homemade and sometimes not.

For my skin to look good, it's pretty much all about diet. The healthier I eat, the better my skin looks.

Thanks!

Jamie

I love Aveeno face washes. I have oily skin although it has gotten better as I get older. Aveeno is gentle but effective. I also use Aveeno moisturizer every day. I recently added a 30 spf moisturizer for sensitive skin to use on my face during the summer that I will use in place of the Aveeno which only has SPF 15.

I also use Retin A every night, and started that when I was 40. It prevents wrinkles, clears your skin, and sheds the skin cells that make your face look ruddy and uneven.

It sounds like a lot but is really pretty simple and take just minutes.

I just started the oil cleansing program about two weeks ago and I love it!

I even started using it on DD12, who has oily skin and blackheads, but gets flaky at the same time. Her skin is clearing up and no flakes anymore.

You can google oil cleansing method. I use 1/4 castor oil and 3/4 EVOO.

Guest Katia

Currently, I'm using Bare Minerals' new skin care line and I love it! I'm using the face wash, moisturizer and eye lift cream. When I apply their make-up (only once or twice a week) I also use their primer which makes my skin amazingly soft. Sometimes, I use the primer even if I don't use the make-up just because I like the way it makes my skin feel. :D

My face has never looked or felt so good!

The aesthetician who gave me a facial recently (using all natural products) sold me a cleanser, scrub, and moisturizer that I really like. The company is derma e and they sell online as well as in many stores (Whole Foods, etc.).

The products she actually used for the facial were higher end, so not very affordable but if top of the line as far as natural skincare goes: Eminence Organics.

I was just using water before this, and she told me that by leaving dirt in my pores, they will become enlarged. Also, she said soap (any kind) is damaging to skin.

Forty is probably about the time one should start thinking of wrinkle prevention, and my dermatologist told me that Roc products are the only drugstore line that has any significant amount of retinol in them. I used them and think they're good. Plus, they don't cost a fortune.

I second the ROC night cream. I get it at Costco.

I went to a dermatologist for some anti-aging advice and she suggested CeraVe, which she said is inexpensive and you can buy it almost anywhere. She laughed at the expensive department store products. I was concerned about switching to CeraVe because I have really sensitive skin (I can't even use Mary Kay hypoallergenic products, which I think is very unusual) but it is working great and my skin looks good. There is moisturizer with sunscreen for day and without for night. She said you should always, always have sunscreen or a moisturizer with sunscreen on because most skin aging is caused by the light you are exposed to every day.

I used Clinique when I was younger. Clinique is for younger skin, when you are over 30 or begin to feel more dry, you are supposed to switch to their Estee Lauder line, which is ridiculously expensive. Try CeraVe, and spend the extra money on something fun - that will make you feel younger!

I wish I could go without wearing face makeup, but I have bad flushing rosacea -- no bumps or anything, but I look like a person who's either very embarrassed or who has eaten way too many carrots. LOL

I miss my pale, fair skin.

I don't wear make up at all. Just wash my face with water.

The less I do, the better my skin looks overall.

I have been using honey sometimes as a mask and apply coconut oil around my eyes (sometimes some of my face too) when I go to bed.

I wish I could go without wearing face makeup, but I have bad flushing rosacea -- no bumps or anything, but I look like a person who's either very embarrassed or who has eaten way too many carrots.

Let me know if you need rosacea tips. :grouphug:

I also do the honey mask at times.

Plus, my esthetician told me to add a smidge of turrmeric to my masks. Helps with age spots. Love it. Gives an incredible glow. :D

Sure. But, I had rosacea before I started drinking wine, I avoid the sun, and I gave up coffee and saw no improvement.

My face is red already when I get out of bed. Other than being hot, there are no times my face is more flushed than any other.

Do you have rosacea?

Does turmeric color the skin at all? Remember, I have very fair skin (well, except that my face is reddish).

Let me know if you need rosacea tips. :grouphug:

Plus, my esthetician told me to add a smidge of turrmeric to my masks. Helps with age spots. Love it. Gives an incredible glow. :D

Thanks!

Jamie

I recommend you get Paula Begoun's books from the library before you buy a single product. They are fantastic. She's all about evidence based skin care- what works, what doesn't, what's worth the money. She points out that even the excellent product lines have good and bad products, so she recommends you look at each product individually.

Also, what you need depends on your skin type, so take recommendations from strangers with a grain of salt. ;)

The Beauty Bible

Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me

Sure. But, I had rosacea before I started drinking wine, I avoid the sun, and I gave up coffee and saw no improvement.

My face is red already when I get out of bed. Other than being hot, there are no times my face is more flushed than any other.

Do you have rosacea?

Does turmeric color the skin at all? Remember, I have very fair skin (well, except that my face is reddish).

I know that you're very good with your diet and disciplined overall. My tips are probably things that you already know.

No. I don't have rosacea. I think that most from my culture (Persian) don't either. We have other problems and concerns :lol:.

Turmeric can tint the skin temporarily, particularly when left on for too long or if too much is applied. Best not to do it before going someplace special, or you might end up looking a bit like an Oompa Loompa :lol:.

oompaloompa.png