Menu

What is up with Sonic??

I order 8 drinks, 6 of which are *small* and they give me 2 napkins.

This happens all the time. Then, I feel like I have to be sure to tip extra if I ask the girl to skate back in for more.

I think there should be a rule, at least 1 napkin per cup/cone/etc. Actually, cones should get an automatic TWO each.

That is all. Just hoping someone with *influence* is lurking.

Thanks for your time.

Are you supposed to tip at Sonic??? Huh. I didn't know that. DH tried to tip like once, and the girl looked at him like he'd grown a second head, so we never did again.

We have the roaming kid with the condiment tray, too. It makes life much easier to have your stuff before your food comes.

I have always found Sonic to have a difficult time correctly filling orders. Then I knew someone who worked for them. He said their process for filling the orders is very random and hard to execute. I always check my bag before I leave the drive through at Sonic.

It does not matter how much or how little I order at any of ours - all we ever get are two napkins at the bottom of one bag and one peppermint. Even tho I always tell them not to put ANY mints in bc the smell of mint makes me nauseated.

I think they might pre fill the bags? You know, line up 10 bags and slap 2 napkins and a mint in each so they are ready to shove the food in?

I get really annoyed by their burgers. A burger is, in theory, meat, cheese and various other items stacked between two buns. But every time we order a burger at sonic, it looks like they were putting the items on a moving target bun. Meat half off to the left, cheese half off to the right... So half my burger is a burger and half is a cheese burger. Two tomatoes and pickles all piled in one spot on one half, all the mustard in one bite in the middle. What's up with that?:001_huh:

The main reason I go to sonic is for the ICE!:D

I use the drive-thru b/c, to me, someone walking or skating out and handing it to me through the window is no more deserving of a tip than someone handing it to me through the window of the drive-thru part. It is so strange that this seems to be a tippable "service". :confused: (When, HELLO, as pp's have pointed out, it is usually wrong, or not enough napkins, etc.)

Also, their burgers are gross.

And, their cups taste like plastic.

But, the ice is good.

And, I'm doing WW and I REFUSE to waste any of my points on their crappy food!

But, the ice is good. :tongue_smilie:

Yes Martha! The same thing here! And the napkins are greasy then!

We *rarely* eat out there, or anywhere, but let me tell you, on music days...the half-price drinks are FANTASTIC! And yes, THE ICE! :)

We don't have *drive-through* Sonics. They are all the pull-up and order and have it delivered by a car hop. I don't tip like I would at a restaurant, but I will usually tell them to keep the *change* when it is coins. I shouldn't feel guilty sending them back in. Seems like LOGIC would say to send out at least one napkin per drink!

I do love their onion rings. Mostly, I resist...but, there are days. And, the stuffed peppers...that is all I will confess to.

When I used to work at Subway, years ago, we were instructed to only give 2 napkins per customer. If they requested more, we could give 2 additional napkins. So you were supposed to stand there handing them out in 2 napkin increments. It felt very silly. The point was to keep costs down, of course.

We get the half-priced drinks at Sonic on Thursday afternoons after band practice. I just always mention that I have four messy children in the car and ask for extra napkins when I place my order. They usually remember to bring extra.

I never tip at Sonic.

The trick to getting good service at Sonic is to get to know the carhops. I don't eat Sonic food, but I'm there daily for a diet coke or a bag of ice.

The crew knows me, I know when the people I like are working, they save me coupons for free drinks, honor a coupon I got about 6 years ago for 99 cent Route 44 drinks, recognize my car when I pull up and know my name.

It sounds ridiculous, but I figure you can never have too many friends. They always get my order right and I appreciate that!

ETA: I always tip a little bit - unless it's someone I really like, then I'll be more generous.

Are you supposed to tip at Sonic??? Huh. I didn't know that. DH tried to tip like once, and the girl looked at him like he'd grown a second head, so we never did again.

We have the roaming kid with the condiment tray, too. It makes life much easier to have your stuff before your food comes.

No, you're not supposed to. However, I often do...just because. I've never had it refused. :)

When they implemented the self-pay, card swipe thing, my dh called the 800# to ask how he's supposed to include a tip. He was told by customer service not to tip, that Sonic employees were paid at least minumum wage. (If you've ever worked in food service, you probably know that servers are paid less than minumum wage, then claim their tips - for us is was on our weekly time sheet - for tax purposes).

As for napkins, I've never had a problem here, but you could ask for extras when you order, I suppose.

Also, their burgers are gross.

Definitely true there! Their food goes through me like...well, you get it. ;)

And, their cups taste like plastic.

Ours uses styrofoam cups. I've never noticed a taste to them.

But, the ice is good.

Indeed. I have a bag of it in my freezer right now.

And, I'm doing WW and I REFUSE to waste any of my points on their crappy food!

I fell of the WW wagon, but you're right. A small blizzard is horrifyingly high in points!

But, the ice is good. :tongue_smilie:

:001_smile:

When my hometown got our first Sonic i was in high school. A good friend of mine got a job as a carhop (no skates). It was such a novelty for months that she said she could make $80 in tips on a good night. They did not make the full minimum wage, so tips were important (don't know if that is still the case). Of course, after the novelty wore off, the tips were much less.

I go to Sonic almost every day. I get a Route 44 non-sweetened iced tea with extra ice--fill the ice to the top, then pour the drink, please. Every. Day. I gave up soft drinks for Lent and am trying to make it permanent (again--I did it once for a few years).

Sonic Ice. Sonic Ice. Sonic. Ice. They sell it by the bag, too.

Sonic...what is that? :tongue_smilie:

It is a fast food joint that is not known for being fast, but for putting you at your grease quota for a few months! :lol:

They fry jalapenos, tater tots, fries, pickles, cheesecake bites, corn dogs, etc. They have salads, but if you get grilled chicken, it will be swimming in grease. They have great ice cream products.

I have sentimental ties. My mom used to take us to Sonic for a Frito-chili pie after school. :)

Sonic...what is that? :tongue_smilie:

For me, Sonic is diet cherry limeade. :)

It's a "fast-food" place, similar to the old A&Ws where you drive up and order, and a guy or gal on skates brings you your grease, er, meal.

One on every corner, here in TX.

I order 8 drinks, 6 of which are *small* and they give me 2 napkins.

This happens all the time. Then, I feel like I have to be sure to tip extra if I ask the girl to skate back in for more.

I think there should be a rule, at least 1 napkin per cup/cone/etc. Actually, cones should get an automatic TWO each.

That is all. Just hoping someone with *influence* is lurking.

Thanks for your time.

I've never had a fast food place give me napkins for drinks only …. ?

Or are these like.. milkshakes that come with a spoon or something too? More like food than a drink? I'm envisioning fountain pop...

We *rarely* eat out there, or anywhere, but let me tell you, on music days...the half-price drinks are FANTASTIC! And yes, THE ICE! :)

I do love their onion rings. Mostly, I resist...but, there are days. And, the stuffed peppers...that is all I will confess to.

THAT is when we go! On the way home from music lessons, we grab 1/2 price drinks. I get an unsweetened tea 90% of the time. BUT I like to splurge once in a while on a either a small real fruit lemon berry slush or a diet limeade (NOT a cherry limeade) with 7 real cherries on the bottom. And yes, that is exactly how I order it.:D

YOU CAN BUY A BAG OF SONIC ICE??????

That has to be the best kept secret in the world!

Well if I ever get rich and remodel my kitchen, I'm buying a residential Sonic ice machine. YES. They make them for homes! How awesome would THAT be?:cheers2: (these are home made drinks with sonic ice!;))

No Sonic here, so I have to ask, what's special about the ice?

It is like crushed ice, but in nearly cube form.

It fills your mouth with delight as your teeth crush it, and then it sends soft waves of cold pleasure to your brain. Not enough to create a brain freeze--just a subtle second of perfectly crushed ice Nirvana.

My mom RAISED me on Sonic. As in, she worked there. As a carhop. For several years, then again on and off when working for family didn't pan out. If it weren't for the tips she made there, there's no way she'd have been able to pay rent & bills.

For teens, yeah, it's just a job, possibly to pay for a car, clothes, etc...for my mom, it was our living. And when people would come in on a crappy-weather day, treat her like crud because the person on the headphones and the cooks weren't doing their jobs right or fast enough, complain about the food/service as if it was entirely her fault, and then tell her they weren't giving her a tip for that reason...well, it didn't give me much faith in the compassion and mercy of your average fast food customer.

I don't eat at Sonic much, but I still love a Reese's Blast on occasion, and when I have a bit of blow money available, I'll stop in for a Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper with extra ice so I can crunch it when I'm done. :D

It fills your mouth with delight as your teeth crush it, and then it sends soft waves of cold pleasure to your brain. Not enough to create a brain freeze--just a subtle second of perfectly crushed ice Nirvana.

That was beautiful. You brought tears to my eyes. :)

Seriously, maybe it's just *our* Sonic, but I DO ask for extra napkins. Maybe that's it, they are starting from 0, so they think what they are bringing *is* extra. :lol: I ask for napkins with drinks because my children are *small* and *male*. ::snicker:: That should be enough explanation. And how many times can I say "DON'T TAKE THE LID OFF YOUR CUP!!!" in 15 minutes? I should count one day, just for kicks!

Ahhh.

I create that from buying ice at the store (spring water ice) and wailing away on it with a hammer.

Wolf always seems a wee bit alarmed when I start muttering about the hammer, and hears banging and slamming coming from the kitchen.

Bowl of crushed ice, plastic spoon (metal leaves a taste) and a splash of Mountain Dew (its not caffeinated here) was my constant craving with all my pregnancies. Ice, ice, ice. I devoured it as dessert like it was manna.

I ask for napkins with drinks because my children are *small* and *male*. ::snicker:: That should be enough explanation. And how many times can I say "DON'T TAKE THE LID OFF YOUR CUP!!!" in 15 minutes? I should count one day, just for kicks!

:lol:

My 7yo learned the hard way NOT to take the lid off his cherry limeade to get the cherry while in the truck. DH had to slam on the brakes to avoid an accident once, and DS had his lid pried up. He ended up wearing 1/2 the drink and the cherry all the way home, and it wasn't a short drive. Poor kid. Sort of. He hasn't done it since.

The Sonic ice is GREAT for frozen drinks. Margaritas,....dacquiris.....mudslides. FYI: Strawberry Slimfast, a shot of Malibu Rum and Sonic Ice makes a LOVELY meal replacement!! :D

Add home made frappacinos to the list! I make them in the summer with sonic ice in my bullet instead of my preferred winter cup of hot coffee. Yum!

Why am I reading this thread when I'm on a strict diet? :banghead:

The two closest fast food places to our house are both Sonic, so I've indulged a few too many times (hence the strict diet). I love their ice too, but my complaint is they fill the cups up with so much ice there is hardly any drink.

This whole thread has me :drool5:. My food loves are ethnic (think curry and Korean) and greasy spoon fare. I love their chili/cheese tots and all of the yummy slush combos.

Unfortunately, the nearest Sonic to us is more than a half hour away, in another state, and in a town that has nothing else I need. I've still driven down there for chili/cheese tots, a Chicago dog, and cherry-limeade slush :001_smile:. I tip and have never received a lack of napkins or mints.

I am shocked that everyone doesn't love Sonic as much as I do... what is wrong with the homeschool community here?!?!?! :lol:

I'm having an ocean water craving right now, mmmm.

As for service, I guess it depends on where you live. We have several in our area and don't have a problem with any of them. Ours all take a normal ammount of time to get food.

I worked as a car hop in highschool and Sonic is a 'we don't make it till you order it' fast food resturant. That might explain why food takes a bit longer to come out. If I am paying in cash, I give a small tip; but if I pay with my CC, I only leave a tip if I have a few extra quarters around.

Go to their website and post the comment for the location. They'll likely get back to you within the day. How do I know? I did it yesterday. I don't usually bother, but the problems at that location are frequent and worsening. I need to find another place that serves slushes.

Why am I reading this thread when I'm on a strict diet? :banghead:

The two closest fast food places to our house are both Sonic, so I've indulged a few too many times (hence the strict diet). I love their ice too, but my complaint is they fill the cups up with so much ice there is hardly any drink.

Say "easy on the ice" and you get enough drink to make it worth it!