Menu

My rant for the day- I hate people who...

Mallory

put library books on hold:rant:

Because it means I can't renew them. It would be one thing if the library was 10 or 15 miles away, but it is more like 35 miles away. We used to go every two weeks, but with gas prices the way they are we've been going every 3 or 4 weeks.

So that means I have to renew my books, not a big deal, UNLESS someone wants one. Then I CAN'T. AGGGGGHHHHH.

And while the fines are usually less then the gas to drive the books back, I just tried to renew some books and 4 of them have been requested. :glare: so .80 a day until I make it back in there....

You know, I just wish I would get a notification if someone requests a book that I have checked out. That way I KNOW I will have to get it back by the due date and I won't be able to renew it. I like to renew as close as possible to the due date, to be able to keep it longer. Or there should be a grace period or something. I agree that everyone has the same rights to the books, but these library fines are killing me!

You know, I just wish I would get a notification if someone requests a book that I have checked out. That way I KNOW I will have to get it back by the due date and I won't be able to renew it. I like to renew as close as possible to the due date, to be able to keep it longer. Or there should be a grace period or something. I agree that everyone has the same rights to the books, but these library fines are killing me!

I'm able to check that on our online catalog. I can see if there are holds on the book or not. Sometimes it's a balancing act to try to renew as close to the due date as possible but renew it before someone else puts it on hold!

I get really cranky with the people who keep the books out long past due dates. Especially when it's the only copy in the library. I've seen some that are 4-5 months overdue. Much more than that & they list the book as lost.

Guest Dulcimeramy

Sorry, but it is perfectly reasonable for people to request books from a circulating library, and it is perfectly reasonable for you to have to return them for others to use.

Well then I'm on your bad side. :P My nearest library is so small (i.e., it doesn't have a large variety, and it doesn't have specific titles I'm looking for most of the time) that it's mostly just a hub for me to pick up books I put on hold from the whole borough library system. I put books on hold via the internet constantly; that's my only access to them.

I confess I'm a chronic holder too. I figure why should I drive all over creation hunting down the titles I need when I can request them and pick them up in one convenient location.

I'm sorry, OP, that you don't have a convenient location. I used to live there - 30 miles from a decent library. It stinks! I moved. :D

Sorry, but it is perfectly reasonable for people to request books from a circulating library, and it is perfectly reasonable for you to have to return them for others to use.

Yep. MY pet peeve is when I can't get a book for weeks or even months because someone is hoarding it.

I put almost all of our library selections on hold. Most of them aren't at my local branch and even if they are and show that they're on the shelf...they aren't. Putting a book on hold is the only way I can get ahold of it.

However, I do understand your frustration. I just tried to renew a book online and couldn't. It's just a novel I'm reading (Wicked) and I have 150 pages left. Guess I'll be reading fast tonight so I can return it tomorrow.

Because it means I can't renew them. It would be one thing if the library was 10 or 15 miles away, but it is more like 35 miles away. We used to go every two weeks, but with gas prices the way they are we've been going every 3 or 4 weeks.

Wow, be kind people. She lives quite a distance from the library, as she posted in the quote above---and that is just one way.

Mallory, could you talk to the librarian there to see if they have any kind of leniency for those who homeschool, and especially for you, as you are driving quite a distance. Maybe if they know your situation better, they will find some way to help you. :grouphug:

I constantly put books on hold. I bookmark them when I'm preparing a new unit, and move them over to my hold list when I'm ready for them. I can't imagine trying to homeschool (cheaply) without using the hold system.

I use both our small community library and the larger metro library (about 20 minutes away), and I place holds at both. My pet peeve? The metro library just decreased their maximum hold from 10 items to 5. :glare:

Without the hold system, I'd have to buy all our books. I can't possibly go all over to the dozen or so branches to find the books I need! Oh, and I pay for the library card, since I'm in a different county. My county's library is a small town library with no access to other libraries without paying $4 or so to do ILL.

So yes, I use their hold system and love it. If I need a book for longer than 2-3 weeks for schooling, I'll buy the book. I expect to only get 1 loan term out of a book. Extra renewals are a bonus!

The library I use for the best selection of books is two hours away.

For that reason, I actually schedule my library trips for the days when I have to work around that area, usually about every four weeks. I am fortunate that the library system is very generous with borrowing time-usually four weeks. If my work schedule is changed, I do sometime renew my books. If I see that there is a hold, I either try to get the book "a ride" down, or I just suck it up and pay the fine, but as soon as I can, I get that book back. The books that are usually put on hold are books that I know are needed for home-school families, and I know that the main library for the state is often the only source for the hard to find books.

I also am fortunate that I have a great used book store in town that is very, very home-school friendly and reasonably priced. If I need something on hand that I plan on using for four weeks or more, I try to buy it if I can.

I use the holds system almost exclusively. There is just not a better way, especially with 3 little precious people with me.

That said, it does stink that it's such a long drive!!! I'd be weighing the cost too. It isn't always possible to buy the gas to get to the library, even if we do have the best of intentions.:grouphug:

Do you ever have library sales? I love those! I can usually buy lots and lots of good books for what I would have paid in fines anyway.

Wow, be kind people. She lives quite a distance from the library, as she posted in the quote above---and that is just one way.

Mallory, could you talk to the librarian there to see if they have any kind of leniency for those who homeschool, and especially for you, as you are driving quite a distance. Maybe if they know your situation better, they will find some way to help you. :grouphug:

I actually didn't think Mallory was saying she really *hated* people for this - just venting! I can see how this would be a challenge with the library is so far away. I like being able to keep things as long as possible and I live only a couple blocks from the library! Also, look into whether they have one day/month where you can return overdue items and have them erase any charges. Our library system does that, even though I've never used it. My husband actually went in the other day to pay a fine we had (it was less than $5). The woman told him just to bring the items back on the last Friday of the month in the future so we wouldn't be fined, and then they excused the charge.

I totally understand how that'd NOT make your day!

I have to admit I'm a chronic book request holder, too. It seems I rarely get to go to the adult section and on the occasion i do, the book I want is always gone!!

But.. the best part is that two of the three county libraries I use (which I'm allowed to, here in VA) have GRACE PERIODS!! Thank you, God, for the grace periods (5-7 days)! AND the fines are only .05 a day! In MI, fines were .10 a day and then raised to .15 a day w/o a grace period!

The moral of the story is move to Richmond, VA area because we need more cool homeschoolers! ;)

I can relate a bit to the OP. :grouphug: It doesn't bother me that people put books on hold (I do it ALL the time) but what does bother me is how my library deals with the holds. For most of the books in the library it shows where they are located so I either have the option of driving there or putting them on hold. I don't know the reason behind it but there have been MANY times when I have an item out and I can't renew it because somebody has put it a hold on it- BUT, there's 2-3 copies available on library shelves :doink: :glare: *That* really gets to me. Why do I have to return mine when there are free copies that nobody else is using?? :confused:

I do like the library and use it a lot but I'm finding that more often than not, I'm just buying the books we're going to be using. It's less hassle that way (they're always available to me) I'm cutting down on gas and fines and it's saving my frustration levels. :tongue_smilie:

This thread is making me grateful that I live within two miles of three different libraries. One is an independent town library, and the other two are part of (different) large systems. There's actually a branch of a third large system five miles from my house.

I don't think I've paid more than $1 in fines since I moved to this house 13 years ago.

I was going to share my check out tip, but it sounds like it won't work for some of you. When I recheck a book, 3 weeks is automatically added to my original return date. Our library system allows for 2 rechecks so if it's a book that I want for a while, I recheck twice the day that I bring it home. Then I know for sure that I have it for 9 weeks. If there's a hold on it, I check every day or 2 to see if the hold is still there. Sometimes another book is sent to the requester or they just drop the hold. Then I pounce! :)

To the OP, sorry that this is so frustrating for you. Hoping the librarians have an answer for you!

I just paid $26 in library fines. My new rule is if a book can be bought for under $5 (the max book fine if turned in) I now buy it! I despise the library. :glare:

I would LOVE a max of $5, here they keep on until they reach the value of the book. We had a couple books disappear and ended up with $50 in fines even though they were returned (several weeks late at .25 cents a day). Now we buy books, it really is cheaper for us since I can not get my oldest to keep track of her library books no matter what I try.

Ironically, the book I'm currently reading is the last and only book I will ever put on hold. The Well Trained Mind, 2nd edition. At the time, I reserved it online; I never realized that there was a fee for putting a hold on the book.

It took over two months for this book to be returned from the time that I put the hold on it...:eek:

You know what I hate? I hate cancer. It's killed half my grandparents and is currently taking a go at my uncle. I hate that he has to have Chemo, that he weighs less than my ten year old daughter, and that he can't keep food down.

I also hate that one of my dearest friends lost her mother in law to cancer. She has to see all these positive billboards that say cancer can be beat when someone she loves is ten feet deep.

Another thing I hate are drunk drivers. One just killed a friends daughter. She was three weeks away from graduating high school and had her whole life laid out in front of her.

I also hate Leukemia - another friend lost her six year old son to it.

You know what I hate? I hate cancer. It's killed half my grandparents and is currently taking a go at my uncle. I hate that he has to have Chemo, that he weighs less than my ten year old daughter, and that he can't keep food down.

I also hate that one of my dearest friends lost her mother in law to cancer. She has to see all these positive billboards that say cancer can be beat when someone she loves is ten feet deep.

Another thing I hate are drunk drivers. One just killed a friends daughter. She was three weeks away from graduating high school and had her whole life laid out in front of her.

I also hate Leukemia - another friend lost her six year old son to it.

Elizabeth, I'm sorry for all those in your life who have had a very rough journey....I can understand your response. Today was the memorial service for a wonderful family friend who committed suicide. A few days ago my best friend had to put her puppy down because he was very very sick....and this is the puppy she got so soon after her own mother died of cancer. I get it. However, the OP surely hates those things as well. Please reserve judgement. IMHO, the OP was merely ranting, not seriously in hate mode. Sometimes these little things just DO get on our nerves and it is okay to say so, as we are human. It does not make us less considerate of other people!

OP, I hear ya. I try so hard yet I am always getting fines, and sometimes they pile up if at the last minute, I go to renew them online before the day is up but can't because the item is now on hold! (I'm a holder to! Lol).

Thank you for the people who were just understanding I was ranting.

I guess what I really hate is my libraries policies, not the other patrons ;)

I also am not keeping these books for months. The first renewal is only 2 weeks. When ever I go to renew it adds two weeks from that day, so I couldn't renew the day I bring them home and get 4 weeks. I have to wait until the day or so before they are due and try again. Then if they are on hold, I have to decided if I can squeeze in a trip to the city in my next couple days (usually it just won't work). So even if I get one renewal I only have the books for just under 4 weeks. I've been to many libraries where just one check out is close to that long.

I guess what I really hate is my libraries policies, not the other patrons ;)

And while I could sure factor in a little more money for school books, I sure can't pay for mine (or my 11yos) free reading. And those are usually the books that are on hold :001_huh: Right now of my 4 on hold, 3 are fiction. No body is waiting on Shakespear's Landlord or Cursor's Fury for school purposes, and those are not new books (although the other fiction is #5 of the 39 Clues, so pretty new). They could give me 4 weeks. :glare:

They could give me 4 weeks.

Except, at MY library, popular fiction can have 20 or 30 holds (the longest hold I heard of was someone checking on a book that had over 60 people waiting....but that's not typical. That was a political book in an election year. :) The genre I like might have 2-10, if it's brand new.)

Even with multiple copies in the system, if each person got 4 weeks.......yikes. If a person can't read a popular book in 2 weeks, they really should just buy it or wait for it to not be popular.

Though that doesn't change the fact that I have also been frustrated at having to return a book I wasn't finished with. But, that's the nature of sharing with the masses. And I am thrilled, thrilled, thrilled that our library now has digital books. I get an email when the hold is ready for that, and it's returned automatically. So, no fines. :)

Edited by snickelfritz

We also budget fines into our homeschool budget. With 100+ books out at a time (additional books for history and science, along with many, many reading books), we have done pretty well keeping our fines below $50 a year. And there is no way we could afford to buy all of those books. It's a pain, but it's worth it. We do have a great library system, which we greatly appreciate. The books sales are awesome too.

I hear you on how frustrating that can be. Hopefully, you can put the same book on hold and get it back in a a week or two (especially if they have more than one copy of the book).

I actually didn't think Mallory was saying she really *hated* people for this - just venting! I can see how this would be a challenge with the library is so far away. I like being able to keep things as long as possible and I live only a couple blocks from the library! Also, look into whether they have one day/month where you can return overdue items and have them erase any charges. Our library system does that, even though I've never used it. My husband actually went in the other day to pay a fine we had (it was less than $5). The woman told him just to bring the items back on the last Friday of the month in the future so we wouldn't be fined, and then they excused the charge.

:iagree: I'm sure she knows it's reasonable for people to put books on hold and doesn't actually blame the people who put books on hold and happen to want the same books as her for her misfortune.

Hopefully, you can put the same book on hold and get it back in a a week or two (especially if they have more than one copy of the book).

Well, except for I don't put books on hold, not because I really think it is wrong (just frustrating because of my late fees) but because I know I can't get in there except for every 2-4 weeks. And it doesn't seem fair that I would be holding that book to sit on thier shelf for a while.

Except, at MY library, popular fiction can have 20 or 30 holds (the longest hold I heard of was someone checking on a book that had over 60 people waiting....but that's not typical. That was a political book in an election year. :) The genre I like might have 2-10, if it's brand new.)

I also don't check out new books. I know I can't get in there to return them. I also know Charlene Harris is a popular author, but reallllly the copywrite date on Shakespear's landlord is 1996. I can't keep it for 4 weeks???

I guess I look at it like this - first come, first served. Doesn't matter if they walk in the building and pull it off the shelf, or if the libraian pulls it off for you. Thats what a library is for. I ILL books, I wait on books that are out. I go to my library for a book and sometimes it's there, sometimes it's checked out and I have to wait for it. I guess that is how it goes...............

I also know Charlene Harris is a popular author, but reallllly the copywrite date on Shakespear's landlord is 1996.

You're speaking my genre love-language.:001_smile: People are antsy for the next Sookie book, so they're desperate. I'll have to look that one up and put a hold on it.:lol:

I LOVE ILL.

I have to use ILL since I'm only allowed to check out books from our main County branch. I can order books from our entire system, which is huge. The County branch is about a 1/2 hour drive for me but my only other option is to pay an annual fee at another branch. Even if I didn't need books from all over, I would use ILL just so I don't have to try and find what I need with my two little kids causing havoc at the library.

When I order books, I have to pick them up within a week of getting the notification or they will be returned to the shelves (or the branch it came from). Our different branches have different loan times - some are 14 days, some are 28 days - which can make it a little confusing. I have two books out right now that are late but I need them for a topic we are covering this week. I hardly ever have late fees but I do sometime end up returning books before getting the chance to use them. Having a deadline theoretically keeps me on track with getting things done. :tongue_smilie:

We used to live 40 miles from the nearest decent library. I bought all of our books, used when possible. I know how hard it is to drive so far!

We are now by a bigger library and haven't gone yet (in the 4 mo. we've been here). :blush:

Personally I have no problem with others using the library as it is meant to be used. If holding books was a big no-no, then why have the option? Also due dates are there so no one person hogs a book or is irresponsible to return it in a decent amount of time. If you live too far away and it is a problem, then don't use the library, buy the books. Between gas and book fines it might be cost productive to do this.

Edited by Down_the_Rabbit_Hole

Guest bacskocky

I actually have similar problems as far as other people putting things on hold. I have numerous times requested the library to purchase a book, and then when I went to renew it because I was still going through it, it was on hold already! I can't remember which book it was, but there was one that I literally was going back and forth with holds with someone.

The thing about OUR library's hold policy is that if *I* put something on hold, and it's sitting over in the self-service hold area, someone ELSE can pick up that book and because they are already physically there, they are automatically the ones who get to take it first. Even though *I* was the one who had it on hold. The thing will come up saying someone else has it on hold, but it is their policy that whoever is physically there has the right to the book.

The thing about OUR library's hold policy is that if *I* put something on hold, and it's sitting over in the self-service hold area, someone ELSE can pick up that book and because they are already physically there, they are automatically the ones who get to take it first. Even though *I* was the one who had it on hold. The thing will come up saying someone else has it on hold, but it is their policy that whoever is physically there has the right to the book.

Wow, that is so wrong! Our "on hold" books are placed behind the counter, and only the person who reserved them can pick them up.

I make heavy use of the hold policy! Our local library is tiny, so practically all my books are made through inter-library loan, and to keep from having to drive 40 or 50 miles each way I constantly reserve books from other libraries and have them sent to my local library for me to use. They charge .50 per book, but it's well worth it to avoid all the driving. And everything is very conveniently handled online. :)

Well then I'm on your bad side. :P My nearest library is so small (i.e., it doesn't have a large variety, and it doesn't have specific titles I'm looking for most of the time) that it's mostly just a hub for me to pick up books I put on hold from the whole borough library system. I put books on hold via the internet constantly; that's my only access to them.

:iagree:

I HAVE to put books on hold or I don't get them. My library is very small.

We have a tiny library in our town & ILL cost just about as much as buying them used on Amazon. We can only have a total of 25 books (for the entire family) out at one time. Normally, it is 15, but they allow extras because we are homeschoolers. We still go to the library at least once a week and sometimes three times a week because we go through books that quickly. I don't know what I'm going to do when I have more kids who can read.

We pay a fee each year to "belong" to the "big city" library system 60 miles from us. When I know I'm going to be heading up to the "big city," I put as many books on hold as I can that I know I'm going to need for school. The library system has about 10-14 branches & you can ask for any book in the system to be sent to one certain branch location. I've been known to have 40 books on hold (over the three cards for our family) to pick up.

I've run into the "books on hold/can't renew" thing and I completely respect it. The only thing that saves us is that children's books checked out on children's cards don't have late fees. I still try to get there within a few days of the due date if it won't renew: common courtesy & all.

I wish our library was better. I wish I lived closer to the "good" library system. I wish I could convince my state to adopt Illinois's awesome library system, but I don't wish the huge costs on the state government. Sooooo, I guess I'll continue what I'm doing. I'm very glad to be able to pay a fee to get access to the great books at the big city library system.

The big city library generally has 2 1/2 times as many books I'm looking for as additional reading/history than the local library. :auto: