Menu

My rant for the day- I hate people who...

Mallory

Well then I'm on your bad side. :P My nearest library is so small (i.e., it doesn't have a large variety, and it doesn't have specific titles I'm looking for most of the time) that it's mostly just a hub for me to pick up books I put on hold from the whole borough library system. I put books on hold via the internet constantly; that's my only access to them.

this would be me. . . sorry! Our library is so small it's really the only way to get most of the books I put on hold.

I'm a book holder too. It's the way the system was meant to be used. It totally stinks to have to drive so far for the library, but it would also stink to have to stop in there several times a week, waiting for a book to be checked back in. That doesn't make any sense either. You had your two weeks with it, now someone else gets their turn.

Our library system allows for 2 rechecks so if it's a book that I want for a while, I recheck twice the day that I bring it home. Then I know for sure that I have it for 9 weeks.

That is really cool! I think your system is unusual, but I would love to be able to do that here.

Well, except for I don't put books on hold, not because I really think it is wrong (just frustrating because of my late fees) but because I know I can't get in there except for every 2-4 weeks. And it doesn't seem fair that I would be holding that book to sit on thier shelf for a while.

Well, if there's a book that you returned that was held for someone else, you'd know that they'd have it for at least two weeks, right? So if you put it on hold the same day you return it, theoretically, wouldn't it be available by the time you could get back to town? And IMO, anything under a week on the hold shelf is acceptable. We're all human beings--we do the best we can. If it sits there for a few days while you try to get into town for your next library book, I really think that's fine.

The thing about OUR library's hold policy is that if *I* put something on hold, and it's sitting over in the self-service hold area, someone ELSE can pick up that book and because they are already physically there, they are automatically the ones who get to take it first. Even though *I* was the one who had it on hold. The thing will come up saying someone else has it on hold, but it is their policy that whoever is physically there has the right to the book.

Now THAT is ridiculous, and I would lobby to change it. Otherwise, what's the point of having a hold system? You might as well just leave it on the shelf then!

I would LOVE a max of $5, here they keep on until they reach the value of the book. We had a couple books disappear and ended up with $50 in fines even though they were returned (several weeks late at .25 cents a day). Now we buy books, it really is cheaper for us since I can not get my oldest to keep track of her library books no matter what I try.

Here, too. I just paid off almost $40 in fines. Michigan, no grace at all at .15/day. It is the reason I buy nearly all of our books. Too hard to get them and keep them long enough to use for the duration of lessons.

The cost for us will pay off in the long run with 4 children using the bought books. But I do still try to put holds on books at the library to see if certain books will be a hit with them before buying.

Well then I'm on your bad side. :P My nearest library is so small (i.e., it doesn't have a large variety, and it doesn't have specific titles I'm looking for most of the time) that it's mostly just a hub for me to pick up books I put on hold from the whole borough library system. I put books on hold via the internet constantly; that's my only access to them.

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

We live one mile out of town. I pay approximately $80 for my library card. I reserve books online and pick them up in person.

There are times when a book I've just picked up will have a waiting list. That means I'll get the book for two weeks and no more.... Because that's how a library works. :) It's a short term thing. ;) If no one else in my community needs the community owned book then I'm free to have it longer. If someone in the community needs the community owned book, then I must abide by the rules. To hoard a book is crazy. And if I don't want to share a community owned book, then I must pay to own it. Then no one demands I give them a turn.

I will tell you that for a long while I tried to utilize the library for every book they owned. But the frustration of not being able to use a book when *I* needed it or to keep it long enough soon convinced me that any book I need for 3-4+ weeks was probably worth owning. I choose carefully. Often I can get a used copy for a few dollars by looking around. Of course, I remember being frustrated that I couldn't afford everything I wanted... Not mad at others for the same rights to which they were entitled. Odd.