Menu

Do NOT pay with "Personal" via Paypal

I'm sorry that happened to you. I'm actually wary of buying off of this board now more than I've ever been since it seems like several people have been burned over the past 6 months or so.

I don't know how popular a response this will be, but what if the requirements to sell were more stringent? In a couple of other forums where I'm a member, the selling requirements are 150 or 200 posts vs. the 50 we have here. I don't know of any issues on these sites where buyers have been burned. Just a thought...

I'm just careful about who I use personal pp with. If someone is a regular poster (with an interest in maintaining a favorable reputation on this board), ...I'm inclined to save the fee, esp if I'm buying something very cheaply. kwim

I'm not likely to buy/sell with someone who has 50 posts. Period.

Unfortunately, it has reached a point where I would only buy or sell to someone I know (i.e. someone who has been here awhile and that I am familiar with). I know it isn't fair to new people who may be perfectly legitimate but I just can't afford to take monetary chances right now.

I'm just careful about who I use personal pp with. If someone is a regular poster (with an interest in maintaining a favorable reputation on this board), ...I'm inclined to save the fee, esp if I'm buying something very cheaply. kwim

I'm not likely to buy/sell with someone who has 50 posts. Period.

:iagree: I look at feedback before I buy and before I will send anything via personal paypal. As a seller, I also maintain my feedback and make sure my buyers are happy before I would even think to request for someone to pay via paypal personal.

so sorry you got jipped :(

I tend to agree that 50 posts is not enough. I just joined yesterday and I am almost at 50 (I am chatty ask Paula :lol:) that is way too soon to gage trust. on the flip side I am leery of buying anywhere anymore I have been jipped more than once but it hasn't happened in a long time and I am extra cautious about checking feedback and even asking for additional feedback links (such as ebay, etc.) many sites have policies that state nothing can be paid as personal, not that everyone follows those rules.

I'm sorry that happened to you. I'm actually wary of buying off of this board now more than I've ever been since it seems like several people have been burned over the past 6 months or so.

I don't know how popular a response this will be, but what if the requirements to sell were more stringent? In a couple of other forums where I'm a member, the selling requirements are 150 or 200 posts vs. the 50 we have here. I don't know of any issues on these sites where buyers have been burned. Just a thought...

She has over 800 posts.

I thought Paypal had changed so that all purchases had fees charged and that personal Paypal was only for sending a gift or repaying a debt or something like that.

Oh, I ended up paying the fee. I didn't know that when she asked me to pay using personal. It showed up in my total, and at that point I had already told I would. So, I'm out the price of the item and the fee.

Oh, I ended up paying the fee. I didn't know that when she asked me to pay using personal. It showed up in my total, and at that point I had already told I would. So, I'm out the price of the item and the fee.

Was the fee for using a credit card? If I use a cc to pay with personal paypal, it will charge me a fee. I can pay via my bank account or paypal balance via personal without the fee.

How was her feedback??

Ok so I'm confused about this personal vs non personal Paypal thing. I have bought many things on here using paypal. I usually pay with my bank account, but choose Purchase and then goods. Is that protected. The first few times I paid I dd click personal, then payment owed. No one has ever complained about me paying the purchase way, and I'm not sure if they received a fee. Everything I have purchased I have received.

I'm feeling dumb because I don't buy and sell much. Can you help me with what to do in my situation: I want to sell the TT 5 we are no longer using. It's a small little book of 4 CDs, no workbook or other books. I assume it can't go media mail, nor would I want it to because it's a pricey item. I'd like all the protections for myself and the buyer. Should I just price it knowing I will pay for priority mail insured? And the buyer should use regular fee Paypal?

IMO it is unethical and dishonest to ask a buyer to mark a payment for an item as 'personal-gift' to avoid fees - that should be accounted for in the price just like shipping. If you choose to use Paypal, then follow their clear guidelines.

I thought Paypal had changed so that all purchases had fees charged and that personal Paypal was only for sending a gift or repaying a debt or something like that.

That is what it is supposed to be. Back a few years ago, if your account was funded or through a bank account there were no fees, only for CC transactions. This led to sellers on all types of swap boards to specify 'funded paypal only' (some would be ok with CC if you covered the fees, but it used to change your account to charge fees on all of it - this was back when you had either a business or personal PP account).

But back in 2007 or 2008, Paypal changed their policy so that everyone had access to both Personal and Business account options and ALL transactions of a selling nature had their fees regardless of how payment was made (but you can still send money fee-free under 'personal' for a gift). Some people haven't adjusted to this switch (or don't want to pay fees for using Paypal's service) and try to avoid them, since prior to their change it was ok to do so (but isn't now as they closed that loophole).

Edited by Sevilla

I'm feeling dumb because I don't buy and sell much. Can you help me with what to do in my situation: I want to sell the TT 5 we are no longer using. It's a small little book of 4 CDs, no workbook or other books. I assume it can't go media mail, nor would I want it to because it's a pricey item. I'd like all the protections for myself and the buyer. Should I just price it knowing I will pay for priority mail insured? And the buyer should use regular fee Paypal?

Actually it can go media mail. Media mail includes CD, CD-roms or DVDs. If you know you want to use priority and insure it, make sure to include those costs in your listing price (and mark it PPD which is postage paid) and then note in the listing you'll only send it via priority mail and will include insurance. When the buyer purchases they should use paypal's purchase option (goods) and then you'll be charged a fee which depends on the total amount the buyer paid.

She has over 800 posts.

Boo. I'm sorry you got ripped off. It feels terrible. I got burned by someone who had several hundred posts as well. However, I have also had several great experiences on the board. Please do leave feedback, though, to warn others. I now check that very carefully before I buy.

IMO it is unethical and dishonest to ask a buyer to mark a payment for an item as 'personal-gift' to avoid fees - that should be accounted for in the price just like shipping. If you choose to use Paypal, then follow their clear guidelines.

There was a big thread about this last year and someone contacted PayPal and was told that for what we are doing here we can use the Personal option. I was looking for the thread but couldn't find it. I'll look some more.

Are you sure you got burned or is the item just delayed in getting to you?

I ordered something from someone here over 2 months ago. It still hasn't arrived. I am not sure if I should still be hopeful (she has sent me emails saying it will come) or not.....her last email was 2.5 weeks ago saying it would for sure go out that week.....she is one state over, so even with media mail it should have already gotten here.

Dawn

I am so sorry this happened, and hopefully this will get rectified.

I would still leave feedback even if you get your items. It is so important that people leave feedback, going by post count means nothing some times (think of smilie only posts can rack up post numbers).

I ordered something from someone here over 2 months ago. It still hasn't arrived. I am not sure if I should still be hopeful (she has sent me emails saying it will come) or not.....her last email was 2.5 weeks ago saying it would for sure go out that week.....she is one state over, so even with media mail it should have already gotten here.

Dawn

wow dawn, you are very kind and patient!! i ordered something (not from this forum) and it has been well over 3 weeks. the person has emailed saying it's on its way, etc...yet it still never comes. then they ignored my last email completely. i emailed yesterday & said by friday i needed the package or reimbursement - if i didn't have one or the other i was going to dispute it via paypal (they only give you so may days to dispute something). of course i heard back immediately ...something happened, but now it is really "on its way...". they live an hour from me. i wish i had just drove there and picked it up, lol. fortunately, this is the first time in 5 years that i've ever had a negative experience with a seller.

That is unfortunate. I have bought several items off this forum and have received all of them in a timely manner. I also pay timely as well. I have paid via check and PayPal with no problems with either method. Although, I don't post a lot I have also sold a few items to some posters and have shipped them immediately to them.

No she def did not get burned. Not only did I mail the item, but I also just issued her a refund. I was late sending it as I went out of town and left them for my husband. When I came back, they were still in his car. The tracking still just says:

Shipping label printed on Mar-05-11

USPS Priority Mail

Shipping cost: $4.75

Electronic Shipping Info Received, Mar-06-11, 00:00 AM

However, I have had them not update until delivered. Now I just hope she will return to sender it when it arrives because now I am out the item and the money.

No she def did not get burned. Not only did I mail the item, but I also just issued her a refund. I was late sending it as I went out of town and left them for my husband. When I came back, they were still in his car. The tracking still just says:

Shipping label printed on Mar-05-11

USPS Priority Mail

Shipping cost: $4.75

Electronic Shipping Info Received, Mar-06-11, 00:00 AM

However, I have had them not update until delivered. Now I just hope she will return to sender it when it arrives because now I am out the item and the money.

She has refunded my money. She told me she mailed the package priority but that was over a week ago. If it arrives I will send it back to her.

Wouldn't it be okay if you get the package to just re-pay her? Clearly, this is just a case of some ordinary life getting in the way of a timely shipping. This happened to me. One time I forgot about a shipment in the back of my car for over a week. The buyer was understanding.

Sounds like a misfortune, but reading both stories - it was an honest mistake. My own husband has left a package floating in his car that should have been mailed. I was so upset with him. It sounds like this situation was simply lack of communication and an honest mistake. When the package arrives, I agree that you should just keep it & pay the seller again. Let by-gones be by-gones. She has 100% positive feedback, so I'd say she is honest & it was just a mishap this time.

Susan

Wouldn't it be okay if you get the package to just re-pay her? Clearly, this is just a case of some ordinary life getting in the way of a timely shipping. This happened to me. One time I forgot about a shipment in the back of my car for over a week. The buyer was understanding.

I agree. I didn't realize that it had only been 10 days when the OP posted she was ripped off. That was way too soon to be complaining IMO.

You are absolutely correct that the USPS tracking system cannot be relied on for progress. It is only good for confirming that the item has arrived. And I use the postal service A LOT.

You can insure if you send it via media mail. If you try to add priority shipping and insurance and the fees into the price of your item, you'll either price yourself out of the market, or you'll get very little for your item. Most people won't buy used unless it's close to 1/2 off, and if the item is in new condition, they won't pay more than 60-75% of the original price. It's too risky otherwise. For what you're selling, send it media mail as is.:001_smile:

I agree. I didn't realize that it had only been 10 days when the OP posted she was ripped off. That was way too soon to be complaining IMO.

:iagree:

Even the retailers rarely get things to us in 10 days. Most of them take 3-5 days to process the order. And, even if the item had been sent out via media mail on the original date, media mail can take up to 6 weeks because it is not high on the priority list. That's why it's so cheap. Even Paper Back Book Swap makes you wait a month before filing a complaint about never receiving a book.

There was a big thread about this last year and someone contacted PayPal and was told that for what we are doing here we can use the Personal option. I was looking for the thread but couldn't find it. I'll look some more.

I remember this as well. Paypal did confirm that for what we are doing on here that it can be done as personal. I always ask that people select personal for my transactions. I figure if someone is not comfortable with this they can let me know and they can add the extra fee into their payment.

I have been lucky and had only wonderful transactions both ways on here.

Someone at paypal may have said that way back when (I remember the thread), but I doubt they would say that now. It definitely isn't covered under paypal's buyer or seller protection if you send it personal.

I will send personal if someone has great feedback, and I accept personal if the buyer chooses to send that way, but I think it's wrong to ask for it, because it's not personal, it's a purchase and the seller should take the fees into account when pricing their items.

I should have heed the warnings I heard on threads here. If you pay using the "personal" option through paypal, then you cannot open a dispute if you don't receive the item.

I thought that I would not have problems buying from this forum. Lesson learned.

Honestly, the paypal dispute policy is a joke anyway. My dh bought a fly fishing rod from some store. They never sent it. We disputed it. Paypal said they couldn't do anything because the vendor didn't have a balance in their account to deduct it from. Luckily, we had paid with our Visa. I just disputed it with Visa and that took care of it. If you pay with Personal, just be sure to pay with Visa. Actually, ALWAYS pay with Visa.

It sounds to me like an honest "husband error" and that you should just be glad that was all it was! I would pay her again if you receive the item and be done with it.

Sometimes things just happen. I have had great sales here, for many years, and have never been ripped off.

After waiting three weeks for a book, I emailed the person I purchased it from. She emailed me back promptly and said, it was mailed, that others have received their items.

I emailed to let her know I'll wait a bit longer and sure enough my package came two days later. It was a book, the seller packaged it in a bubbled envelope (which was fine). All the bubbles were flat and at further inspection I noticed that my book had dents like tire marks. I figured my package must have fallen out of the mail truck, been ran over and some kind soul picked it up and stuck it back in the mailbox.

The seller and I were both relieved. Oh, and when I contacted the seller to tell her what happened, she offered to refund me the money (how kind is that?). Of course I said, no, it wasn't her fault that the package was ran over no telling how many times.

Well, I am getting quite impatient now because I NEED this item and will have to purchase it elsewhere if I don't get it SOON!

Dawn

wow dawn, you are very kind and patient!! i ordered something (not from this forum) and it has been well over 3 weeks. the person has emailed saying it's on its way, etc...yet it still never comes. then they ignored my last email completely. i emailed yesterday & said by friday i needed the package or reimbursement - if i didn't have one or the other i was going to dispute it via paypal (they only give you so may days to dispute something). of course i heard back immediately ...something happened, but now it is really "on its way...". they live an hour from me. i wish i had just drove there and picked it up, lol. fortunately, this is the first time in 5 years that i've ever had a negative experience with a seller.