Menu

Do you have metered internet?

Apparently, we do. We just moved to Alaska. I just checked our amount due...2.5 times as much as it should be. Guess that means we used over our allotted amount! Dh is not going to be happy. Grrrrrr. We have internet through our cable company. We watch a lot of Netflix. We've never had metered internet before, always unlimited. If I switch to the company that offers unlimited, it will be DSL. I'm pretty sure that will be slower than what we have now. Do you have DSL and watch Netflix? We have several wi-fi devices. I'm so discouraged. :-(

We have DSL and ALL of our devices are wireless (ipod touch, two desktops, wii and a laptop). We have never had any problems with Netflix. Our internet doesn't give us any trouble. I have never had cable internet so I can't compare the speed to DSL.

Depending on data rates, the movie would most likely take a bit longer to spool up but then would play normally. So, you might need a minute spool up instead of 30 seconds, or 2 minutes instead of 1 minute, depending on the data rates.

DSL is faster than it used to be, I think. It might be faster than you think.

Netflix should work with anything over 1.5 Mb/s (actual, not "up to"), and in HD at about 3.5-4 Mb/s (actual, not "up to"). We have a 5 Mb/s lines that usually has 3-4 Mb/s actual throughput and plays HD content from Netflix without difficulty.

Edited by nmoira

I have 2Gb per month on a 3G connection (no landlines or broadband where we are). It is one of the more expensive and 'larger' packages available here!

Anything over that gets charged.

There's another 2GB "free" - if you use it between 12pm and 5 am (and I've stayed up before to download stuff :))

we have a 2 GB, then it is reshaped and goes VERY slow. No extra charge though. I try hard to not look at any moving graphics on the Internet, no U-tube or anything like that. It just uses up the time to fast.

Both my ds16 and I are doing university courses online, so we are always concerned about our speed slowing down.

Ack! I couldn't do that!

I might try to conserve water and gas, I compost, and even repair clothes but I am downright gluttenous with the internet. :lol: I might even game online WHILE watching a movie on netflix. :blushing:

:iagree: oh my. We will stream a netflix (did you know there is a Khan Academy channel on the Roku box?!) on one tv, have kids watching a chemistry experiment on YouTube through the wii, while dh works on his laptop and I am on my iPad, and another kid is using the computer on the front room.

Heaven preserve our wifi and Internet! We are very frugal by most standards in other areas, but yep Internet gluttons here too.

I vaguely remember the frustrations of dial up many years ago. It's like remembering the dark ages. *shudder*:)

We have DSL and it usually will manage 2 devices streaming Netflix and 2 or 3 computers playing online RPG's, plus one surfing the net (i.e., me). Some are wireless, some are hardwired (our blue ray player in particular doesn't work well on wireless mode).

It's not as fast as cable was, but here our issue was customer service--much better with Qwest than with Cox, so we have DSL instead of cable. We're looking forward to the upgrade to fiber optic that's been promised, but I predict it'll reach our neighborhood the month after we move.

I am metered on my internet through our cable company, but it is wireless and DSL. I have a limit of 200GB per month. If I need more I can purchase 100GB for $25. I have yet to go over. I stream through Netfilx, Amazon, lost of online usage, uploading and downloading etc.

Now my slower internet which is through my cell phones and I have a wireless card is not metered. I have unlimited usage on that.

Apparently, we do. We just moved to Alaska. I just checked our amount due...2.5 times as much as it should be. Guess that means we used over our allotted amount! Dh is not going to be happy. Grrrrrr. We have internet through our cable company. We watch a lot of Netflix. We've never had metered internet before, always unlimited. If I switch to the company that offers unlimited, it will be DSL. I'm pretty sure that will be slower than what we have now. Do you have DSL and watch Netflix? We have several wi-fi devices. I'm so discouraged. :-(

We have DSL and have 3 computers and watch netflix without problem.

I SO miss unlimited internet. We pay 4 cents a megabyte right now and it adds up quickly. I actually wish we had dial-up so it would be unlimited, even though it would be 10 times slower (and the speed we have right now is 100 times slower than I was used to in the US). We use less than 1 GB a month now and there is a lot that I can't do on the internet anymore. We also miss wifi. There are definitely no wifi hotspots in my town.

Wow. Another lesson to teach us that there are always others more- and less-fortunate than we are, so be grateful for what we have.

I had also never heard of limited internet access when I lived in the US. Several months after moving to Canada, I discovered that we had a 30GB monthly limit! (apparently, there is no such thing as unlimited internet in Canada :confused:). It was very frustrating to have to limit our use to 1GB per day. We have 3 laptops, dh and I listen to streaming radio most of the day, and the kids are constantly on youtube, downloading games, etc. Having to check our usage every morning and police everyone's usage is a major pain.

We have since switched providers and now have 60GB, which is so much better. But still, we wouldn't even consider NetFlix since it would use up our quota in a jiffy.

I was feeling so sorry for myself, until I read about the posters overseas. Guess I'll stop whining and count my blessings ;).

We are limited here in NE corner of Indiana; no DSL nor cable. So it's wireless broadband for us. 5GB is $50/month for us. Evidently we are a mere 1/2 mile from cable and DSL. It was not a question we thought to ask when moving from Cleveland, OH to our new home here in IN; especially when the state park down the road advertises free WiFi at their inn. :001_smile:

Our "unlimited" internet here in Germany is not really unlimited.

A lot of people here use VPN to access sites like Hulu and Netflix.

I WISH somebody could tell me which gets the data upload: My ISP, the VPN ISP or both?????????????

I want to know before I invest in VPN @ 90$/Yr.

Maybe you could get VPN if it indeed takes the data usage?

We don't have metered internet but we do have DSL because that's all they have out here in the boonies...

I watch NetFlix streaming all the time and it is fine but my son complains because he plays Steam for online gaming and his game downloads take forever.

But there is nothing we can do - there is no cable alternative where we are.

Our "unlimited" internet here in Germany is not really unlimited.

A lot of people here use VPN to access sites like Hulu and Netflix.

I WISH somebody could tell me which gets the data upload: My ISP, the VPN ISP or both?????????????

I want to know before I invest in VPN @ 90$/Yr.

Maybe you could get VPN if it indeed takes the data usage?

I use a free VPN. It works if you don't mind adds. Whatever you get through the VPN will count against your internet allotment. It just routes you through an American IP address and then it comes to you, so it's going through your German lines just the same as if you weren't using the VPN.

We just discovered that there is sort of a limit for ours, and we exceeded it GREATLY in January. They didn't charge us extra for it, but the web site says that if it happens repeatedly (exceeding the 'limit') then they will automatically charge us for the service plan that meets our needs.

We just discovered that there is sort of a limit for ours, and we exceeded it GREATLY in January. They didn't charge us extra for it, but the web site says that if it happens repeatedly (exceeding the 'limit') then they will automatically charge us for the service plan that meets our needs.

May I ask what the provider? Is it verizon or comcast or someone else?

We have 3G a month on a Verizon "Five Spot." That is the best we can get in the middle of nowhere (our options are wireless or satellite.) We have four days left in our billing cycle, and we just got an email that we have used 75%. :001_smile: We don't even bother with Netflix, because I know it would be too slow. It takes me 15 minutes to watch a 5 minute Youtube video!

I also have unlimited internet on my smartphone, and I can tether it to the laptop and download over that, though it is slower. If I have a lot of large items to download, I stop at a "wireless hotspot" in the city and download it. And my Kindle has 3G, so I get my books over that.

Ack! I couldn't do that!

I might try to conserve water and gas, I compost, and even repair clothes but I am downright gluttenous with the internet. :lol: I might even game online WHILE watching a movie on netflix. :blushing:

Yes this! I can't imagine having "metered" internet? Never heard of such a thing!

Dh and I both work from home so we need internet. Even without gaming and movies and youtube and email and etc... :D

Our bill would be :blink::svengo: