Menu

How involved are you with your (logic stage) dc's learning?

My 6th grader completes the majority of school work on his own each day. I am involved with his writing and discussion of literature, and my dh does the science with him. He teaches himself pre algebra, history, grammar, vocab, logic, spelling, and Latin. Should I be more involved? How involved are you?

I have no idea. I figure, I have to be as involved as I need to be and that will vary with each child. Have you listened to SWB's independence MP3? My DS10 is still at "parent at elbow" stage but is transitioning to "parent in the room" stage for several subjects. For subjects he dislikes doing, like math, I have to be parent at elbow to make sure it gets done in a timely fashion. Also, my DS10 thrives on discussion. He wants a lot more discussion than others I read about. My friend's DS is mostly independent and doesn't need/want lots of discussion. I think it really depends on the child. My other friend's DD was working independently for history but she realized that her DD was engaging more with the material when they had discussions about what she was reading.

My 6th grader does algebra, Latin, Greek, grammar, and logic on her own. I grade her work occasionally (roughly once a week for each subject) and step in to correct her when she gets too far off track. I am much more hands-on with writing, so by default I am involved with history, literature, and science. A good discussion seems to lead to a better paper!

We are just getting to the point where ds will work independently. He thrives on discussion and interaction, so I don't plan on him ever working completely independently, that's counter to how I want to guide his education.

As I stated in another thread he was a delayed reader with high comprehension so this is the first year he's been able to do any major work on his own.

He is starting to his math on his own, writing assignments written to the student, and he does more of his own independent reading for history and science.

He is a very orally motivated child, he loves to talk through everything. I think it's one of his greatest assets so I don't squelch it. However, I am working on building skills where he can work quietly and complete something on his own.

He was in private school for prek and K and he would always get in trouble for talking in class. Now we encourage it, most of the time. :lol:

I switched to "completely independent with interrogations" mode with my daughters. In a nutshell, I schedule a few long weekly sessions with each of them separately to see how they're doing in what they're doing - to ask a few random questions, ask them to explain to me x and y, to show me what they have been doing or hand in whatever written assignment they had or translation/problems to check, or to discuss corrected assignments with them. Outside of that they can still turn to me for anything, but I don't request them to if they're doing fine.

Most of the instruction-heavy subjects are "done" anyway, to a point where they can proceed independently. I also find them much more involved and thriving if they talk to me prepared, rather than if I guide them through a specific content from a scratch, though I still wish to do it from time to time to check they aren't using too much "external help" to do their thinking and then just memorizing it. I think there is value in both approaches and I doubt I could ever switch to the point at which I'm basically non-existent.

Dd13 works independently in all of her subjects except for brief discussions. In math she will come to me if she needs help but I ask her at the end of every other day or so to explain to me what she has been working on. In grammar it's pretty much the same way. Latin is becoming more and more independent...she asks for help probably twice a week and I use that opportunity to talk about what she has been studying and what is coming up. She also works independently on her interest projects. However, I will meet with her two or three days a week to talk about what is going on in Logic, Lit. and her interest projects.

Dd11 is a completely different story. She would be happy to do all of her work independently but it wouldn't be done properly or understood. I think she may always need me to hover more than her older sister.

I struggled a lot with letting dd13 do her work independently because I felt she was missing something. The problem I run into with her is that her brain works faster than I can teach in most skill subjects. We have come to a pretty good method though where she comes to me when she needs an explanation or help. I think things will change a bit next year and in high school though because we will be venturing into subjects\areas that are going to require more discussion (more analysis and application of logic) in order to really understand.

Some subjects are more mom-driven than others, but at this point in our lives about 1/2 of her school time is with me. If I'm not there for the rest, she feels abandoned. I think that largely independent stage happens at a different time for each dc. She *can* do a lot independently, but she *prefers* us to be around. She's just a Sociable Sue. :)

DS12 does almost all of his work independently, except for Composition.

The curriculum we use, Writeshop, does require alot of parental involvement, which I am fine with because this is his weakest subject and he needs alot of hand holding.

Some days I feel bad, that mommy-guilt, that perhaps I am not involved enough with DS12's schooling.

But in reality, he is doing fine and doesn't really need me to "teach" it.

All of his curriculum is pretty much written to the student. Perhaps Latin would have been good for me to tag along. I did when we first started but it got a point where he was way beyond me.

We do talk on a regular basis about what he is doing. I often read his assignments just so I have an idea of what is going on. He'll come to me with questions, and I check in on him throughout his day (he does his work in his room, which is right next to our schoolroom) to see how it's going, what is he working on now, etc. I check his work (although sometimes it is a day or two late) and give feedback.

But overall, on a day to day basis, I don't "teach" him much. One part of me feels bad about that, but the other part of me thinks it is fine.

In the last few months, I have noticed that my dd is doing more on her own. I should say, though, that most of the curriculum I am using is teacher-intensive and I did this on purpose. I consider classical education to be a mentoring kind of education. Yes, my dd does need to know how to do things independently but discussion is also very important.

The way things stand now, dd does math, latin, grammar (I teach the lesson then she does the worksheets on her own), reading lit choices, history and science on her own. We have discussions on history. literature, and writing. I didn't think we would ever get to this point so I am very happy with how we are doing things.

I think how involved you are (or should be) depends upon the maturity level, learning style, etc. of each individual child.

I start my son on his written work and then do other things rather than looking over his shoulder. He asks questions when he needs help. I do introduce topics and I do go over mistakes with him when I check his work.

I monitor his reading to make sure he's staying on track with that. We inevitably talk about things of interest as he reads. I still read aloud in the afternoons and we discuss as we go. If I had more children that I was homeschooling simultaneously, that might not be possible.

I also monitor his work in his outside classes and talk to him about his assignments, etc.

My ds is only 10 & in 4th grade but he has been a fairly independent student since we started homeschooling (2nd grade). I work ahead of him in Latin, Math, History & Lit so if/when he gets to something he has a question about we can discuss accordingly. He loathed me standing up and teaching from FLL in 2nd & 3rd grade so I got him a fairly independent LA program through K12 for 4th but I still have to help guide him with writing assignments, Lit discussion and new grammar concepts, if it's something he's never seen before. I just try to lay low but still make myself as informed and available to him as he needs me to be without squelching his desire for independence.

My dd12 prefers to do her work on her own as much as she can. She actually told me at the beginning of this school year that she wants to be as independent as possible. I still read to her a lot, though, because we both enjoy it, and I help her whenever she needs it. It takes some getting used to, but her independence is working very well since I also have a toddler who is intent on world domination. ;)

I give my son a check list every day. He does everything on his list. Then we check his work, discuss what was read, and do the few things that require more parent involvement. I also read aloud to him, which he still enjoys, even though he reads on his own as well. I am close by at all times for questions, especially for math. He's getting better at being independent, but it's a process.

I work with my 6th grader one-on-one five times a day on average. It looks something like this:

7:50-8:15 I'm available if her chemistry has a lab that needs help. Otherwise, I just teach her the math lesson for the day.

9:00-9:30 I correct her chemistry and math as needed. We cover memory and a grammar lesson; then either discuss the history assignments for the week or do logic.

10:30 I check her grammar and history assignments, and we do CW (except on Wednesday when we discuss her history reading for the week).

12:15-12:30 I check her CW and we go over Greek and Latin lessons.

1:00 Everyone does earth science together.

~3:00 I check her Greek and Latin and go over any mistakes. Then we clean up for the day.

He teaches himself pre algebra, history, grammar, vocab, logic, spelling, and Latin. Should I be more involved? How involved are you?

This backfired on me with my oldest. I believed a commonly quoted myth in homeschooling circles that your dc will eventually be teaching themselves as they get older. I think b/c I was so busy with littles, my ds basically taught himself math one year. Didn't work well at all. It was not his fault; I just found that I have to inspect what I expect. Plus, he needed the stimulation and motivation that comes from interaction. Of course, by 11th grade, he was doing all of his work on his own, accountable to mostly outside teachers. But in the middle grades, it didn't work for us.

HTH,

Lisa

ETA: The math, grammar and Latin were the subjects that still needed interaction from mom. He did fine with a certain amount of work on his own.

My dd is 5th grade. There is certainly work that she does on her own. Some of it is completely on her own, some of it I will do a short explanation first. But having her work completely independently is not an educational goal for me. I want to be helping to shape her mind, contributing another view point, pushing her in a direction she may not go herself. I used to teach math. I don't think it would be ideal for her to just get all of her information from the book on her own; I believe that I can make a valuable difference in how she connects the information. I have always appreciated good teachers, through my college years. While being able to learn from a book or DVD course is great, I don't think it is better than learning from people (good teachers, and I think I am one) or learning from a combination of books and people.

Dd 13/8th takes 3 online classes via Potters School and attends a Spanish 2 class at a local private high school. She is 100% independent for her outside courses. I don't babysit her at all. I don't remind her to do homework, log in to class, study, etc. She is self-sufficient and is doing beautifully.

She does CD math independently -- and we go over each lesson, quiz & test together with a fine tooth comb.

She practices piano, voice, reads lit, etc on her own time. She is a leader in the youth group & church. She teaches Sunday School every Sunday for ages 3-4. She is rehearsal secretary for a local theater production company and serves on backstage crew.

If anything, she is reminding ME to get her to her commitments on time. :)

I understand that not every 8th grader could function in this manner. Dd is very mature for her age and takes her academics very seriously.

Dd11 thrives on conversation. When she comes across something interesting in her reading, she wants to discuss it right away. It's like I'm part of the class, for discussion purposes, just as if she were in a traditional school setting. I wouldn't miss those thoughtful dialogues over history and science for anything.

I teach math and science. We discuss history. We do science experiements. We're learning French together. When she's doing math problems, reading or writing, I'm at the table doing my own work or in a nearby room.

If I were homeschooling more than one, perhaps I would rely on her to learn in a more independent fashion.

I am more involved with my middle schoolers than at any other time in their education. Cementing those writing and thinking skills for high school requires a LOT of discussion and coaching.

My dc *could* do all of their work on their own, I'm sure, and would do well. That's not going to get us to our goals, though

I agree, my logic kids get the most of my school time. We are pretty relaxed during grammar stage, and I do hope for more independance during highschool.

Somewhere around here I have a post about the difference between responsibility for schoolwork and independance for school work. Here is my post from that thread http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218231&highlight=100%25&page=2

In our house there is a big difference between "independence" and "responsibility".

I would eventually like my kids to be 100% responsible for thier schooling. My sophmore is very much there (maybe like 90% if you include planning and choosing her subjects- but 100% in day to day work).

100% independence isn't a goal. In fact I think the independence of homeschooling is one of the places where it lacks being the best education. I can't wait until my oldest takes a few community college classes in the next couple years and can join a group to learn.

For us that means she has a schedule that she keeps on top of. She has the year long planning sheets that I made mostly on my own (one of the small areas she isn't all responsible), but she is very involved in making her weekly plans and making sure she is staying on goal with the yearly plans.

She is responsible for getting the work done every day, knowing what to do on her own if I can't work with her, being cheerfully ready to work on subjects we do together when I have the time, getting her own supplies and books, and getting this weeks work done (and checked/approved by me). About half of her subjects are done independantly and about half we do together. I wish we could do more together, but things are how they are.

Now there are a couple subjects that even my 9yo can do independently. But he wasn't responsible for them (or at least very rarely). I mean I call him to the table, get out the books, talk about the lesson, show him where to stop, and then he can work independently on the assingment. Then for the next subject it is the same thing all over.

My 11yo has taken a few small steps toward being responsible. For instance, I don't have to wrangle him back to the table everytime. Usually when he completes a subject he shows me and asks what to do next (okay, okay, what he really asks is "Am I done?"- but what I am trying to say is he doesn't sneak away every time he has the chance ;)).

I think there is too big a push for independence while I am more focused on responsibility.

I work with my 6th grader one-on-one five times a day on average. It looks something like this:

7:50-8:15 I'm available if her chemistry has a lab that needs help. Otherwise, I just teach her the math lesson for the day.

9:00-9:30 I correct her chemistry and math as needed. We cover memory and a grammar lesson; then either discuss the history assignments for the week or do logic.

10:30 I check her grammar and history assignments, and we do CW (except on Wednesday when we discuss her history reading for the week).

12:15-12:30 I check her CW and we go over Greek and Latin lessons.

1:00 Everyone does earth science together.

~3:00 I check her Greek and Latin and go over any mistakes. Then we clean up for the day.

Wow! From reading your blog, I know you have four kids to teach/distract! You rock! :001_smile:

I am more involved with my middle schoolers than at any other time in their education. Cementing those writing and thinking skills for high school requires a LOT of discussion and coaching.

I want to be like both of you when I grow up! :D

Me ...? Not as involved as I'd like to be in many things, and too involved in others. This is a reflection of the year. I've been working part-time (from home) and taking a couple of university courses, so homeschooling has become a little scattered. :confused: My dd is still on track but I've realized that I need to keep on top of her work much more than I have been so we don't have to backtrack. Right now I'd say I spend about 15 min to 1 hour with her per day. I definitely do not rock ......... :blush:

I'll do better next year, really, I will! :D

Here is how we do it at our house. It may be different for us since I have one student, but I cherish the bond that has continued to grow between dd and I during our hs'ing journey. We have a mix of doing things together and independently. She is given time during each day for assignments on her own, so I don't hold her hand all day as it may appear.

Mon, Wed, Thurs

Bible: Does lesson alone, then we go over the answers and discuss

TOG History & Geography: Does independent reading, but we do much discussion & projects during the week.

Math: Independent (TT)

French: Together

Logic: Together

Literature: Independent reading, weekly discussions

Language Arts: Together, with time given for writing assignments

Science: Independent reading, some experiments together

Music: Independent

Tues

All Subjects: Done independently (I'm at work)

Fri

Study Hall: Morning, catch up assignments, mostly together stuff

Science and Art: Afternoon, attend co-op together (I teach art, and then sit in with dd for science, which is lots of fun!)

As you can see, I'm very involved, but we are heading toward more independent studies.

Blessings,

Lucinda

P.S. I would have given anything to have the education my daughter is getting. To work that closely with my mom would have been a real gift.

My 6th grader completes the majority of school work on his own each day. I am involved with his writing and discussion of literature, and my dh does the science with him. He teaches himself pre algebra, history, grammar, vocab, logic, spelling, and Latin. Should I be more involved? How involved are you?

My 6th grader does HOD (Creation to Christ). The manual is written to him and he does 90% of it on his own. He does math 100% on his own unless he has a question (but he is very mathy and generally knows more than I do when it comes to that subject if I am being honest). Here is what I do with him, the amount of time it takes, and how often we do it:

Storytime (Read aloud) - 15 mins - 4 days/wk

Geography - 15 mins - 2 days/wk

Bible Study (in addition to his own Bible study) - 10 mins - 2 days/wk

R&S English (discuss and assign) - 10mins - 3 days/wk

Dictation (spelling) - 5 mins - 3 days/wk

French - 20 mins - 3 days/wk

On average, I work with him a total of 30-45 mins per day of his 4.5-5.5 hours of study.

Involved. My goal is not for my kids to be independent learners. My educational objectives are for critical thinkers. I want my kids to be able to analyze what they are learning, articulate the concepts in their own words, and be able to discuss/defend what they understand. My personal opinion is that independent learning is fairly flat b/c it is not challenged.

My 6th grader works with me at some pt for a certain amt of time for every subject every day w/the exception of Latin and French. She is taking those courses with her older sibling and they work together and seek help when they need it.

The reality is that by the time they are in high school, I do have to prioritize which subjects I devote the most time to. Math always has a teacher (if not me, a tutor). Same with English. I try to have a discussion at least 1x/week on other subjects or assign analytical papers to evaluate their comprehension. (or the classes are outsourced).

My biggest weakness is w/my 9th grade ds who is so far beyond my abilities in physics and astronomy. This is his last yr doing science strictly under my guidance. (we reached this pt during the middle of last yr w/math. :tongue_smilie:)

From reading a few of the other posts I'm much more involved then most. DS will just be moving into the Logic stage this year, but I will continue being very involved. First reason being that I like teaching them, and they always have lots of questions. Second DS is a terrible procratinator, nothing would ever get done if I didn't stay on top of it. DD is very different, at 7 she does just fine working independently. I really don't have to worry about her getting her work done. I think really it just depends on your child, and if they're ready to be "on their own".

I agree, my logic kids get the most of my school time. We are pretty relaxed during grammar stage, and I do hope for more independance during highschool.

snip>>

I think there is too big a push for independence while I am more focused on responsibility.

:iagree: Mallory said it so well (great post!)

This is our approach too.

My personal opinion is that independent learning is fairly flat b/c it is not challenged.

Very interesting. Before reading this, I had always assumed that in the end, we all want independent learners. 8filltheheart, now I'm wondering how you find enough hours in the day to get it all done with so many children!! I know that school is "light" in the early years for your kids, but even so, there is still cleaning, cooking, laundry, husband time, etc. Hsing takes up soooo much of my time each day that everything else suffers (my friendships, my sanity, etc.) Right now, the light at the end of the tunnel is that they will eventually need less of me. You're telling me they'll need more of my time! If you have already addressed how you do it, do you mind posting a link to the thread? :001_smile:

Very interesting. Before reading this, I had always assumed that in the end, we all want independent learners. 8filltheheart, now I'm wondering how you find enough hours in the day to get it all done with so many children!! I know that school is "light" in the early years for your kids, but even so, there is still cleaning, cooking, laundry, husband time, etc. Hsing takes up soooo much of my time each day that everything else suffers (my friendships, my sanity, etc.) Right now, the light at the end of the tunnel is that they will eventually need less of me. You're telling me they'll need more of my time! If you have already addressed how you do it, do you mind posting a link to the thread? :001_smile:

Well, homeschooling is definitely a full-time job and sneaking moments online while waiting for kids between assignment is about as much of a "me" life that I have during school hrs.

I get up in the morning throw in load of laundry. I fold laundry while calling out spelling, listening to someone read, while someone is doing math near me, etc.

We eat a lot of crockpot meals or simple to make meals.

I combine the older kids when possible (like my older kids are combined for grammar, Argumentation; the Study of Effect Reasoning, and a few literature selections (they are doing separate lit courses but I combined them for a few novels))

I outsource what I need to (this yr it has been math, computer programming, and 1 AP course; next yr will be more b/c my 5 yr will be in K and my toddler will be busier)

I do not try to have the best in every subject. It just isn't realistic. I give them the best in the subjects that matter to them and their future plans. Some subjects, like econ, health, art history, etc, that are either simply to check a state box or b/c I want them to have exposure are just the "best I can do" type courses. These are the courses that they do more independently.

My personal opinion is that independent learning is fairly flat b/c it is not challenged.

Like creekmom, I found this statement very interesting. It got me thinking.

I am still quite involved with my grade 7 child's learning. I don't know what I'd label it; I don't know how else I'd do it - I only know that if I didn't sit with him and go over his math, grammar, logic, Latin, and writing lessons; that they wouldn't get done to the standard by which I want them done. I want him to learn these skills to the best of his ability, and so I sit with him, talking with him after he has read the lesson, asking questions to make sure he understands any new concepts, and then assigning him any independent work that results from that lesson. To me, logic stage is all about discussing and me asking questions to lead his thinking so he can learn and make connections. It's all about setting the stage for higher level learning that I do expect will become more independent as the years go by.

But, what 8FillTheHeart said struck me. For example, sure, ds could learn from his lessons by himself, but I don't think he would have as good of an understanding as he does when I sit and talk with him, prodding him with a few well-thought out questions. I'm thinking that my habit of discussing and asking will help him to do the same of himself when he gets older.

Also, I think about my own learning. I can sit and read a novel. And I can do something like go through TWEM study questions by myself, and gain a whole lot more through that. But (here is where the "flat" part comes in for me), my learning from that novel would become three-dimensional if I only had someone else with whom to talk about that novel and its ideas.

There are days when I wish I could just hand over the skills books completely and say "Here ya go, kid - bring your work to me for corrections later! I'll be in the kitchen, baking for fun instead of baking for maintenance!" But he needs the close work with me right now still on the five items I mentioned above. (and really, I'm enjoying learning these skills with him) Other things, like reading for different topics (history, science, literature, art/music appreciation), or the occasional art skills I try to squeeze in there, are more loose and independent.

Like creekmom, I found this statement very interesting. It got me thinking.

I am still quite involved with my grade 7 child's learning. I don't know what I'd label it; I don't know how else I'd do it - I only know that if I didn't sit with him and go over his math, grammar, logic, Latin, and writing lessons; that they wouldn't get done to the standard by which I want them done. I want him to learn these skills to the best of his ability, and so I sit with him, talking with him after he has read the lesson, asking questions to make sure he understands any new concepts, and then assigning him any independent work that results from that lesson. To me, logic stage is all about discussing and me asking questions to lead his thinking so he can learn and make connections. It's all about setting the stage for higher level learning that I do expect will become more independent as the years go by.

But, what 8FillTheHeart said struck me. For example, sure, ds could learn from his lessons by himself, but I don't think he would have as good of an understanding as he does when I sit and talk with him, prodding him with a few well-thought out questions. I'm thinking that my habit of discussing and asking will help him to do the same of himself when he gets older.

Also, I think about my own learning. I can sit and read a novel. And I can do something like go through TWEM study questions by myself, and gain a whole lot more through that. But (here is where the "flat" part comes in for me), my learning from that novel would become three-dimensional if I only had someone else with whom to talk about that novel and its ideas.

There are days when I wish I could just hand over the skills books completely and say "Here ya go, kid - bring your work to me for corrections later! I'll be in the kitchen, baking for fun instead of baking for maintenance!" But he needs the close work with me right now still on the five items I mentioned above. (and really, I'm enjoying learning these skills with him) Other things, like reading for different topics (history, science, literature, art/music appreciation), or the occasional art skills I try to squeeze in there, are more loose and independent.

:iagree: Thanks for being more eloquent than I possibly could, being under the influence of nasty cough medicine.

My daughter is only 5th grade. Math is pretty independent now that we use Teaching Textbooks, and she will do spelling review and simple grammar and vocab exercises on her own. She does independent reading for fun or to supplement social studies, and works on her cursive workbook on her own. But I review all of these things as she does them then set her up with the next thing.

Social studies and science we always do together, and she still gets a fair amount of handholding with her writing assignments. We do Sentence Composing For Elementary School together. Assigned/required books are usually read together.

I imagine 6th grade will be pretty similar.

My boys would mostly be happy to work alone, all the time, with no oversight. Ahem. Even so, I want to be more involved, and I love to plan and scatter. Even if the day goes badly, and everything falls apart, I always check their math lessons. That's one subject that is so dependent on moving along in a fairly straight line that I make myself do it.