Menu

Let's try this again. I've got a list and a receipt

i only read the first few pages, so if this has been addressed sorry

:001_smile:

i have trouble keeping my grocery bill down too. My suggestion would be keep the meals you like to eat, but substitute a few meals with beans and rice. beans are a great whole food, cheap and easy. if you make a pot of beans at the beginning of the week you can eat from it all week (a bowl of beans with a little cheese on top, beans and rice, beans tomato and rice, bean burritos, toss some beans on a salad, in a soup) your original shopping trip would then extend an extra week or two. you could still eat the good food you want to, with a few simpler meals in between. there are so many types of beans, you may enjoy trying out all of the varieties.

good luck!

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We spend a lot on groceries, but I consider it a matter of quality of life, and I'm not ready to economize/compromise.

This year, we refinanced our house, and shopped for cheaper insurance. That has saved us tons more each month than giving up imported olives and expensive cheese ever could.

Quality of life. Yeah, that is what I don't want to compromise. We gave up everything except the mortgage, car, truck and rent payment along with the most basic of utilities. It was a great experiment, but we were not happy. Slowly we've brought back things realizing that until the vehicles are paid off and we sell the house we are not living in we won't be saving much money. Now we have the most basic of satellite services and the best cell phone (no home phone) we can get for what we are willing to pay. But there are no credit cards, no going to Bangor and blowing $1000 in 6 hours, nothing else extra except food.

They are faster -- a faster track to a heart attack. You can make cookies and crackers and know what is in them. You can make a big batch and then they're just there, ready for a fast snack, aren't they?

;) Thanks. Food is an issue for us. The cooking of it and his fighting tooth and nail to keep the status quo. Until he realizes that what he is putting in his mouth is not good for him, he won't change. It might take a heart attack at 40. We will have to see. You can imagine what he ate while gone for a week. He came home and made the comment about how he ate beef every night.

Quite honestly, if it were my husband, I would just tell him I'm not buying them. I'm making from scratch and that is simply that. End of argument.

I get that you don't want to change the food, and that really is okay! However, you did ask how to cut back the grocery bill and changing the food is truly the only way to do that. I know what it's like to be stuck with limited food choices and being a slave to the local prices. There are ways to do it so that you aren't spending so much, but if you don't want to change, you don't want to change. That's okay! You aren't eating a lot of junk food. You aren't blowing it all on pizza and beer. Don't worry about it anymore. Your grocery bill is what it is.

If you aren't going to change the food, I still say that there are other ways to cut the budget. I'm not talking about the food budget here. I'm talking about your other expenses (entertainment, clothing, utilities, cars, etc.) Eat what you are eating and explore other options for saving money.

I can see now after talking to everyone where changes need to be made and where they can be made. When I go by myself I hug the perimeter and only go into the aisles for toiletries, pasta and baking needs. When dh goes with me he likes to hit every aisle. I'll go alone next pay period and see what happens. I do almost always go with a menu and list in hand.

First is what we bought for a two week period and the amount I spent. Below that is what I plan on making with this purchase over a period of two weeks. If you can see any way to significantly save money on groceries, without turning to hamburger helper type stuff, please let me know.

Bakery

Bagette 2.49

Italian bread 1.99

Portuguese rolls (4 ct) 1.99

Deli I think you could save money in this category. Can you substitute different cheese for something less expensive? Use pre-shredded Kraft or Sargento (that can be purchased using a coupon?) I typically pay less than $2 per pound for cheese by purchasing only when on sale or with a coupon.

Crumbled feta 5.99

HRD garden Jack (cheese) 4.87

Parmesan Wedge 7.09

Apple Smoked Mozzerella 4.59

Guda 2.99

Cleaners I only purchase Lysol Liquid cleaner when it is on sale Buy 1, Get 1 free and I have a coupon...usually bringing the purchase down to $1.79 for two bottles (which will last us 1-2 months). I don't use fabric softener, so I can't comment on that...other than to suggest using a coupon to purchase, if it's something you have to use.

Lysol liquid cleaner 2.79

Snuggle 3.69

Grocery - I think you could cut the prices on most items in this category by using coupons.

Del Monte Strawberry banana peach fruit gel cup 2.73

Contidina Tomato Paste 3@1.29=3.87

Del Monte diced pear 2.73

Cheeze Its 2.79

Good Earth Chai Tea 3.39

Dole Fruit n Gel 2.39

Sugar 2 5 lb bags@3.65=7.30

Penne .89

Farfalle .89

small shells.89

Raspberry preserves 2.49

Egg noodles 1.39

Oatmeal Raisin cookies 1.89

Dutch Chocolate Chunky cookie 1.89

Kool-aid 10@.22= 2.20

Triscuits 1.99

Wheat Thins 1.99

Taco Seasoning .99

Taco shells 2.49

Organic table sugar 2.79

Irish breakfast Tea 4.79

Black Olives 1.89

12 Grain Bread 2.39

Dairy

Dannon Trad Peach yogurt 2@ .60=1.20

Yoplait yogurt3@.60=1.80

CoffeeMate 3.29

Single serve frozen yogurt 4@1.00=4.00

Shredded mozzarella cheese 3lb 8.79

Gallon Milk 3.55

Ricotta 3.89

Sour Cream1.89

Health & Beauty - coupons, coupons, coupons!

Shampoo 4.49

Irish Spring 3.49

Zyrtec 9.99

Shaving cream 2.29

Razors 14.49

After Shave 5.68

Men's shampoo 4.99

Genteal Dry Eye Gel 9.48

Benedryl 3.99

Produce - try purchasing your fruit in bulk or at a farmer's market.

3 Apples 1.73

7 Bananas 1.75

2 Oranges 1.78

3 Apples 2.28

2 lb. grapes 6.98

1 Cuke .99

2.41 lbs Tomatoes 8.15

3 Apples 2.26

2 Pears 2.10

1 Broccoli Raab 2.35

1 Garlic .69

2 Leeks 1.98

2 avocados 2.58

1 Jalapeno .14

3 Lemons1.47

10 lbs potatoes 5.99

1 Celery 1.99

3 Sweet peppers 2.99

1 pk Mushrooms 1.99

1 pk baby spinach 3.49

1 pk spring mix 5.99

1 bunch cilantro 2.49

1 bunch sage 2.49

Seafood

Salmon 17.97 -

Haddock 6.84

Flounder 7.49

Tax 3.41

Balance due 285.18

Menu Breakfasts

Breakfast burritos, pancakes, leftover pancakes French toast, scrambled eggs w/spinach, eggs w/fried potatoes and sausage, leftovers, banana bread, leftovers, fried eggs, scones, leftovers, scrambled eggs with toast, muffins.

Menu Lunch

Quesadillas, grilled cheese w/ soup, Greek salad, Caesar Salad w/chicken, California dream salad (all salads served with multi-grain muffins, black bean soup, leek & potato soup, chicken noodle soup, leftover lasagna, left over pasta, left over chili, leftover stew, leftover quinoa

Menu Dinner

Beef stew, fish with salad and bread, pork chops with rice and veg, steak with baked potato and salad, lasagna, Peruvian Quinoa stew, pasta with chicken piccate sauce, lentils and rice, chili, pasta with bruchetta and capers, tacos, fish and chips, dinner out at SB party, free night for whatever

Some notes: Some things are not typical. Dh ran out of all shaving supplies this week while gone so all that had to be purchased today. The eye gel is medically necessary. I can not dump that. The fruit cups and individual yogurts are to fill out dh's lunches. The salmon is a treat to celebrate dh's homecoming today. The massive tomato purchase is to make Pico de gallo for the Super Bowl Party we are attending. And I ran out of all my allergy meds yesterday. I find it cheaper to buy mozzerella in large quantities and freeze it. I did not buy the melons today. The cantaloupe was almost $4.00 for one melon.

I commented in purple above on some areas that you could save $$$ on a regular basis. If I really needed to cut back, I would skip most of the seafood purchase and find something less expensive to substitute for it.

But as for the meals themselves, no, I don't want to drastically change them.

Then don't. If you don't have a specific want or need to do so, don't. You're in a good situation -- you know you *could* go to cheaper food if you needed to, but if you don't need to, there's not necessarily a virtue in doing so.

A box of cereal, even a box of steel cut oats, costs way more than free eggs.

Oh, I know what you mean. We get eggs from a local person; they're very high quality (free range, nice dark yolks, etc.), and they're way cheaper than cereal. The couple of times someone has given us boxes of cereal, my kids and I have eaten an entire box at one breakfast -- and then we're hungry again an hour later. It's at least twice as expensive as eggs!

Which was the reason for my question "Is there a way to cut costs and still eat mostly whole foods at mealtimes?"

I think the only way you can really do that and still maintain very high quality food is to make more yourself, but that's not always called for either -- you only have so much time and energy in a day, especially if you're solo parenting frequently. It is rare that my DH travels, but when he does, I know I opt for simpler meals, or buying something like bread that I could make myself, or whatever.

How do you fight his response of "These are faster?"

I like another poster's suggestion to ask him if there's anything special he'd like in a particular week. I generally do that with my DH; he usually just takes leftovers for lunches (and I plan for that when I make dinner), but sometimes he likes a little extra something, and it's nice to be able to do that. Everyone likes a treat sometimes. If he wants cookies, I'd vote for just baking him a batch or two; why would he care if it's faster if it's not his time being spent to make them?

Also, I'd look into growing herbs yourself indoors, if you use them frequently. I just bought two big bunches, one of dill and one of parsley, for a recipe; they were only $.99 each, but I have way more than I need, so I'm going to try to freeze them for future use.

And for the mushrooms, does your store have only the pre-packaged ones, or do they also have the loose bins of them where you choose your own? I was pleasantly surprised to see that the loose bin ones at our store are actually quite a bit cheaper; for that savings on something I love, I'll slice them myself.

I live in an area with moderate weather (neither winter nor summer is super long or super short) and a good growing season, but even still, right now is a really hard time to eat seasonally and locally. I feel for you!

The best price I've seen for Kerry Gold is at BJ's (like Costco). Market Basket also has good sale prices on imported cheeses. (Hit or miss, but something is always on sale). Market Basket deli also has Finlandia (there are other brands as well) brand cheese, and I know some Costco do as well. I can usually find imported cheese for 6-7.50/lb (not on sale), which is pricey, but organic cheese is usually about $12/lb. The regulations for Eurpoean artisan cheeses are good, and BGH is not used.

You probably don't have a Market Basket, but maybe a Costco?

There's a carbon footprint associated with buying imported foods, and that is an issue I struggle with. I've hidden some of the cheese in the back of the freezer. I would like it to last a bit. A great cheese is a wonderful thing, and a little goes a long way in flavoring food, or when eaten with fruit or a nice bread.

One thing that I would like to add about good cheese is that honestly I think one uses less of it than of an inferior product.

My grocer had Jarlsberg marked down to $4 a pound yesterday when I shopped. (I think they had a wheel of it that had to go.) The previous week I picked up Kerry Gold on special. If I shop with the intention of buying a specific imported cheese, I will pay a lot. If I see what is on special, I often find what I consider reasonable deals.

I also spend more money on seafood than many of the posters. I live in a coastal community so part of my "eating local" philosophy includes buying seafood from the local fishermen. Local shrimp may not be as cheap as Asian, but they are infinitely superior. And I really like keeping my dollars in the local economy.

My current project is to finish up the local produce in my freezer (berries, kale, roasted peppers).cupboard (jam) and garage (sweet potatoes). Winter produce is not just expensive--it is often not particularly appetizing so I try to not only freeze veggies as ingredients, I also make a load of things like eggrolls and ratatouille for winter eating.

Jane

What would DH do if you didn't buy the individual servings? Would he just take less for lunch from home? Would he then eat more at work from vending machines or something? Mine was willing to bring jello from home in those little half-cup containers from Rubbermaid, but he was too cheap to buy food from a machine, so he'd take loads of stuff from home in order to avoid vending machines.

That is seriously something to consider. When I stopped by the little yogurts and fruits, and bought packaging to re-package larger quantities, they got left in the fridge. Dh spent more in the break room fridge on the little yogurts and fruits than if I'd just bought what he wanted at the store. So I went back to buying the little yogurts and fruit cups.

That is seriously something to consider. When I stopped by the little yogurts and fruits, and bought packaging to re-package larger quantities, they got left in the fridge. Dh spent more in the break room fridge on the little yogurts and fruits than if I'd just bought what he wanted at the store. So I went back to buying the little yogurts and fruit cups.

I think this is an issue too. I've had jello and the big tub of yogurt and the bag of granola, but to get the stuff from the big container to a small container seems to be too much work for either dd or dh. Then it goes to waste. Then there is the variety issue. I'm pretty set in my ways. I'll eat the peach yogurt out of the tub because all I like is peach yogurt. No problem to buy the big thing except I don't like yogurt that much. I'll eat it once a week so there again, the big tub goes to waste.

Dd only likes the orange kind. It only comes in the small containers. Then dh is Mr. Variety. Thank goodness that he likes his variety in foods. If he is picking yogurt he will pick 6 different little containers. Each flavor different, a mish-mash of brands, some with added crispies some plain.

So yes, I do have to factor in what gets eaten and what would (and has) gone to waste.

Quality of life. Yeah, that is what I don't want to compromise. We gave up everything except the mortgage, car, truck and rent payment along with the most basic of utilities. It was a great experiment, but we were not happy. Slowly we've brought back things realizing that until the vehicles are paid off and we sell the house we are not living in we won't be saving much money. Now we have the most basic of satellite services and the best cell phone (no home phone) we can get for what we are willing to pay. But there are no credit cards, no going to Bangor and blowing $1000 in 6 hours, nothing else extra except food.

You know we've cut down in lot of areas of spending. We don't spend a lot of money for entertainment, but we keep internet/cable and upgrade electronics as we can. We don't have a home phone and we don't use credit cards. So I agree, if you've decided that your way of eating is in that list of things you're not going to give up, keep it. Agree with the others look for others ways to trim the budget.

I think this is an issue too. I've had jello and the big tub of yogurt and the bag of granola, but to get the stuff from the big container to a small container seems to be too much work for either dd or dh. Then it goes to waste. Then there is the variety issue. I'm pretty set in my ways. I'll eat the peach yogurt out of the tub because all I like is peach yogurt. No problem to buy the big thing except I don't like yogurt that much. I'll eat it once a week so there again, the big tub goes to waste.

So yes, I do have to factor in what gets eaten and what would (and has) gone to waste.

Same thing here. My household has two picky eaters, dh and I have food allergies, and ds seems to rotate weekly on what he will tolerate eating every day. Buying larger quantities doesn't always make sense in our household.

[why are people saying "don't let your husband shop" and such? I'm sure the man works hard - let the poor guy have his fruit cups & coffee!]

I work hard too...and if I bought everything I thought I "deserved" my family would be in serious trouble.

I think it's just a matter of attitude. It looks like the OP didn't notice how much was spent on things like good cheese and convenience foods until it was pointed out. I can't imagine those things not jumping up and slapping me in the face. Instead of justifying why I need to buy something, I try to find an alternative or go without. But, that's what my family needs me to do. If you don't have that need, it might look or feel silly to approach shopping in the same fashion that I do.

There has already been a lot of good advice on things that can be changed to lower the bill. It sounds like the OP is finding solutions that fit the specific situation. :001_smile:

I haven't read through all the posts, and I'll preface by saying we spend more money than you on groceries. :) I also don't use many coupons, because there are rarely coupons for items I use. However, there are a number of items here I purchase either in bulk or by the case. I'm adding my comments in red.

Bakery

Bagette 2.49

Italian bread 1.99

-- I don't know how much time you have for bread making, and it's nice to have a reliable sandwich bread, but rolls, biscuits, and dumplings are certainly meal add-ons that kids can make.

Deli

Crumbled feta 5.99

Parmesan Wedge 7.09

Guda 2.99

-- Cheese is nice, and small amounts good Parmesan cheese can make a meal. I'd evaluate the cheese wrt overall protein content.

Cleaners

Snuggle 3.69

-- You don't need these. Especially the Snuggle. Baking soda and vinegar are good, all-purpose cleaners. Fabric softeners are gross. If you use it as an anti-static agent, try a crumpled up aluminum-foil ball in the dryer instead.

Grocery

Del Monte Strawberry banana peach fruit gel cup 2.73 - not essential

-- How big are these? I buy organic and pay less than this.

-- pear is in season

Cheeze Its 2.79

-- not terribly nutritious; there are more wholesome crackers

Good Earth Chai Tea 3.39

-- consider buying teas bulk or by the case from Amazon (you can often use Subscribe and Save for and extra 15% off, shipping is free)

Good Earth Chai Tea, Tea Bags, 18-Count, Boxes (Pack of 6) - $13.50 with Subscribe and Save

Dole Fruit n Gel 2.39

-- not essential

-- that's a lot of sugar

Penne .89

Farfalle .89

small shells.89

-- purchase in bulk, on sale, or in large quantities and store at home

Raspberry preserves 2.49

Egg noodles 1.39

-- purchase in bulk, on sale, or in large quantities and store at home

-- store bought cookies are a nonessential item

Kool-aid 10@.22= 2.20

-- yuck

Triscuits 1.99

Wheat Thins 1.99

-- better than Cheese-its :)

Taco Seasoning .99

Taco shells 2.49

Organic table sugar 2.79

-- Why organic sugar when you're buying so much conventional sugar?

Irish breakfast Tea 4.79

-- consider buying teas bulk or by the case from Amazon (you can often use Subscribe and Save for and extra 15% off)

Black Olives 1.89

12 Grain Bread 2.39

Dairy

Yoplait yogurt3@.60=1.80

-- buy in bulk sizes on sale or make your own. It's cheaper to purchase plain yogurt and flavour at home (plus store bought flavoured yogurts have obscene amounts of sugar)

CoffeeMate 3.29

-- no comment :tongue_smilie:

-- see cheese comment above

Gallon Milk 3.55

Ricotta 3.89

Sour Cream1.89

Health & Beauty

Shampoo 4.49

Irish Spring 3.49

Zyrtec 9.99

Shaving cream 2.29

Razors 14.49

After Shave 5.68

Men's shampoo 4.99

Genteal Dry Eye Gel 9.48

Benedryl 3.99

-- I'm presuming many of these items last more than two weeks, but this seems like a lot. Consider purchasing one shampoo for the family and using a dispenser instead of direct from the bottle. I hope you're getting a ton of razors for that price.

Produce

3 Apples 1.73

7 Bananas 1.75

2 Oranges 1.78

3 Apples 2.28

2 lb. grapes 6.98

-- not in season, skip

1 Cuke .99

2.41 lbs Tomatoes 8.15

3 Apples 2.26

2 Pears 2.10

1 Broccoli Raab 2.35

1 Garlic .69

2 Leeks 1.98

2 avocados 2.58

1 Jalapeno .14

3 Lemons1.47

10 lbs potatoes 5.99

1 Celery 1.99

3 Sweet peppers 2.99

1 pk Mushrooms 1.99

1 pk baby spinach 3.49

1 pk spring mix 5.99

1 bunch cilantro 2.49

1 bunch sage 2.49

-- I tend to purchase the few in-season fruits and more frozen fruits in winter, but am not terribly partial to frozen veggies. Find out on what is on special, and make menus accordingly. You can grow your own herbs, freeze herb cubes with leftovers, or use dry.

Seafood

Salmon 17.97

Haddock 6.84

Flounder 7.49

-- I didn't see other meat, so this doesn't seem unreasonable. I saw the note about the salmon. :001_smile:

I don't know if this has been suggested (this thread is too long to read in its entireity), but since you are limited in your shopping options, you may want to look at what bulk purchases you could save money on with amazon.com using their free super saver shipping option. They run fairly frequent grocery sales and clearances, as well.

Dd only likes the orange kind. It only comes in the small containers. Then dh is Mr. Variety. Thank goodness that he likes his variety in foods. If he is picking yogurt he will pick 6 different little containers. Each flavor different, a mish-mash of brands, some with added crispies some plain.

OP, I buy the small prepackaged containers regularly. The large economy size is ok, but dh was forever leaving the small reusable containers I bought at work. There they would either be thrown away by some unknowing co-worker or taken to a new home after dh forgot to bring them back to our house. I was spending more on buying and rebuying the small containers than I ever spent on the prepackaged ones.

I have recently started buying my meats and some produce thru a local food co-op. The price ins't much cheaper, but the quality is way better than the stores. I at least feel better about the food I am buying. The co-op isn't well advertised and I had to learn by word of mouth about it. Maybe you can spread the word you are looking for something like that.

I was once a huge couponer and did save lots of money, but I also spent lots of time and effort on it. Now I occassionally use coupons but I spend more effort on not wasting the food I have. I cook less so there are fewer wasted leftovers. I cook better quality so the flavor is satisfying.

Best wishes as you work to find what works best for your family.

I don't know how helpful I'll be since we're vegetarian (husband) / vegan (son and me). And I also live in an area with lots of stores in competition. However, we also don't do Hamburger Helper or anything like that. So, here's where I might do things differently:

Bakery

Bagette 2.49

Italian bread 1.99

I make most of our bread these days. I would definitely have made both the baguette and the Italian bread. I've never done the price comparison, but I know others have. I'm certain my homemade breads would have cost less than half of the prices listed.

Deli

Crumbled feta 5.99

Parmesan Wedge 7.09

Guda 2.99

The only cheese I buy regularly is an extra sharp cheddar for my husband. Occasionally, he'll splurge on something fancier. But, since it's only one of us eating it, I'm pretty sure it would take us three weeks or more to spend $25.

Cleaners

Snuggle 3.69

I spend money on household cleaners, too. I'm picky about what brand I buy, since I'm careful to go with environmentally friendly, cruelty-free products. I do look for coupons on my preferred brands, but I probably spend $15-20 per month on dish and laundry detergent and assorted household cleaning stuff. So, I can't help you with this category.

Grocery

Del Monte Strawberry banana peach fruit gel cup 2.73

Cheeze Its 2.79

Good Earth Chai Tea 3.39

Dole Fruit n Gel 2.39

Penne .89

Farfalle .89

small shells.89

Raspberry preserves 2.49

Egg noodles 1.39

Kool-aid 10@.22= 2.20

Triscuits 1.99

Wheat Thins 1.99

Taco Seasoning .99

Taco shells 2.49

Organic table sugar 2.79

Irish breakfast Tea 4.79

Black Olives 1.89

12 Grain Bread 2.39

I also buy organic sugar, but as long as my daughter isn't home, we don't go through too much of it. When I do buy, it's $5 per container.

Things on your list that I wouldn't have bought: fruit gel cups, name-brand tomato paste, canned fruit, egg noodles, cookies, taco seasoning. The bread here would be homemade usually. I stock up on pasta when it's buy one-get one. So, I think mine averages fewer cents per package (maybe .50 - .60), but it's not a huge difference.

I don't buy Kool-Aid, but I do buy store-brand sugar-free drink mix for myself. (It costs less than diet soda and has no caffiene.) I drink coffee, which I again buy only on buy-one, get one sales. My husband drinks tea, but he goes through a box of bags maybe once every three or four weeks.

Dairy

Yoplait yogurt3@.60=1.80

CoffeeMate 3.29

Gallon Milk 3.55

Ricotta 3.89

Sour Cream1.89

I don't buy yogurt of Coffee Mate or the mozzerella. (When we eat homemade pizza, we don't use cheese.)

I do buy vanilla and chocolate soy milk. I buy store brand and/or look for coupons. I spend about $7 per week on that.

Health & Beauty

Shampoo 4.49

Irish Spring 3.49

Zyrtec 9.99

Shaving cream 2.29

Razors 14.49

After Shave 5.68

Men's shampoo 4.99

Genteal Dry Eye Gel 9.48

Benedryl 3.99

We all use the same shampoos around here. I try to buy it at Big Lots or similar places. But, as with household cleaners, I'm picky. So it can get expensive. I can't remember the last time I paid $4.50 for a single bottle, though.

And my husband uses an electric razor, so no shaving cream. Nor does he use after shave, but that's just a personal preference thing.

I buy Kirk's Castille soap in three-packs for $2.99. That would last us a couple of weeks.

We also would not need the medications.

Produce

3 Apples 1.73

7 Bananas 1.75

2 Oranges 1.78

3 Apples 2.28

2 lb. grapes 6.98

1 Cuke .99

2.41 lbs Tomatoes 8.15

3 Apples 2.26

2 Pears 2.10

1 Broccoli Raab 2.35

1 Garlic .69

2 Leeks 1.98

2 avocados 2.58

1 Jalapeno .14

3 Lemons1.47

10 lbs potatoes 5.99

1 Celery 1.99

3 Sweet peppers 2.99

1 pk Mushrooms 1.99

1 pk baby spinach 3.49

1 pk spring mix 5.99

1 bunch cilantro 2.49

1 bunch sage 2.49

I'm sure your list is much, much healthier. However, we would buy only the more mundane fruits and veggies. Unless I can find more interesting things cheaply in season, we pretty much stick to apples, bananas, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, celery, lettuce. I buy bell peppers now and then, if I find them inexpensively. I regularly buy frozen strawberries (for smoothies) and frozen corn.

Seafood

Salmon 17.97

Haddock 6.84

Flounder 7.49

We wouldn't buy any of this. Our protein comes mostly from things like black and pinto beans (which I buy dry and cook), hummus, garbanzos.

I have to run to pick up my son. But I hope some perspective might be helpful? As others have said, maybe your food budget just isn't going to be the place to cut?

We spend a lot on groceries, but I consider it a matter of quality of life, and I'm not ready to economize/compromise.

I mentioned earlier that it isn't always possible to eat local and in season where I live, although I do live where there's a longer growing season than in most of the U.S. Still, I don't consider skimping on fresh produce to be the way to save. I get my savings mostly in toiletries, household products, and dry goods. To me, the cost of produce is offset by the health benefits.

This year, we refinanced our house, and shopped for cheaper insurance. That has saved us tons more each month than giving up imported olives and expensive cheese ever could.
We found cheaper insurance, increased our deductible (still an amount we know we could afford) changed our Netflix, satellite, and internet plans. This saved us quite a bit.

[why are people saying "don't let your husband shop" and such? I'm sure the man works hard - let the poor guy have his fruit cups & coffee!]

I work hard too...and if I bought everything I thought I "deserved" my family would be in serious trouble.

I just can't imagine telling my husband what he does or does not get to eat, what he can or can not buy, etc. He works his tail off to earn his paycheque - he works a LOT harder than I do and he doesn't even get any enjoyment from his job... I'd never begrudge the man some snacks.

I just can't imagine telling my husband what he does or does not get to eat, what he can or can not buy, etc. He works his tail off to earn his paycheque - he works a LOT harder than I do and he doesn't even get any enjoyment from his job... I'd never begrudge the man some snacks.

I think there is a happy medium between "no snacks for you!!" and $50-75 worth of budget-busting snacks. Not taking him to the store and offering to buy 2 or 3 snacks seems reasonable to me.

Quite honestly, if it were my husband, I would just tell him I'm not buying them. I'm making from scratch and that is simply that. End of argument.

I promise you, if dh told me that he wasn't buying what I wanted to eat and that is that, it would very much be the BEGINNING of the argument :D.

I think it's way over the line to enforce what a grown person chooses to eat, and not conducive to a respectful, adult relationship. They need to come to some sort of agreement as to how much processed food is available to the kids, but it doesn't sound like they are miles apart on this.

I promise you, if dh told me that he wasn't buying what I wanted to eat and that is that, it would very much be the BEGINNING of the argument :D.

I think it's way over the line to enforce what a grown person chooses to eat, and not conducive to a respectful, adult relationship. They need to come to some sort of agreement as to how much processed food is available to the kids, but it doesn't sound like they are miles apart on this.

It's not a matter of "enforcing" what anyone eats. It's a matter of sticking to an agreed upon food budget. It isn't very adult to hog a chunk of the food budget for your own personal junk food stash.

It's not a matter of "enforcing" what anyone eats. It's a matter of sticking to an agreed upon food budget. It isn't very adult to hog a chunk of the food budget for your own personal junk food stash.

The cookies were $4 of a $285 grocery bill, so that's a bit much, no? It's not like the kids are suffering from rickets because dad is mainlining Chips Ahoy and blowing the produce money. Besides, your initial post was against them because of the health issues, not the money issues. I also don't remember that they had an agreed upon food budget, but perhaps I missed that.

Whatever the reason, I still think that it's ridiculous for one adult to tell another adult that they can't eat certain things or spend $4.

The cookies were $4 of a $285 grocery bill, so that's a bit much, no? It's not like the kids are suffering from rickets because dad is mainlining Chips Ahoy and blowing the produce money. Besides, your initial post was against them because of the health issues, not the money issues. I also don't remember that they had an agreed upon food budget, but perhaps I missed that.

Whatever the reason, I still think that it's ridiculous for one adult to tell another adult that they can't eat certain things or spend $4.

No, it wasn't just cookies and how much it cost isn't really the point. The point is that you don't have to spend money on junk when you could make it better yourself. There are alternatives. It isn't a matter of denying anyone their snacks, but rather in what format it comes. And, you might get your panties in a wad over food, but not everyone does. Some people simply see food as a form of fuel, not a hill to die on.

Edited by Audrey

The cookies were $4 of a $285 grocery bill, so that's a bit much, no?

I agree that you can't tell an adult what to eat or not eat, but you can have discussions about it. And it wasn't just cookies. Most of the $35 worth of cheese were for his snacks. Then there were the individually packed fruit bowls and yogurt cups, as well as the coffee creamer. It was probably closer to $50 for just one family member's snacks. I don't think he's being intentionally selfish, but it does seem like he isn't really thinking about the cost of his indulgences.

Okay, I wrote a lengthy response that got erased... so here's the short version.

#1 -- it sounds like dh and dd enjoy convenience foods (grab & go). You have said that they won't dish it up themselves, so the larger containers "go to waste." What I'd like to know is that if they had grab & go containers (like the take & toss in the baby aisle, or some small ziplock/gladware type stuff) that had the jello/pudding/yogurt already in and ready to grab & go... if they would use that? It really doesn't take much effort (if you're making jello or yogurt or pudding anyhow) to simply dish it into the small containers and stack them in the fridge, so that they are ready to go. As a test drive on the cookies... (I think he thinks he's saving you time), make a batch of his favorites, put some in snack-size baggies so they are "grab & go." If he reaches for his favorite homemade vs. the faux oreos (or whatever)... it's not about convenience, it's about preference. It's not a lot of money for the cookies, though.

#2 -- I think a PP mentioned Amazon.com -- I think this is where you will find your easiest and best bets to reduce the costs on your shelf-stable items (I looked up some of the items on your list and the price differences range from $0.50-to $1.50 per item!) It may cost a bit more to stock up, but after a couple of months (if you stock up gradually), you should see a tremendous decrease...without impacting your quality of life, or the quality of your food :D You may be able to do similar things with meat...but you may need to do some more research into that.

#3 -- I get the occassional splurge. There's nothing wrong with it. But you definitely want to work as much of your weekly menus around sales. AND, I don't know how far you are from a Costco, BJ's or Sam's... but it may be worth a monthly trip to stock up on some lower-cost (but high quality) meats, frozen veggies, frozen fruits, etc. Even if it's an hour and a half away... assuming you have a deep freeze other than your back yard :D Just put things into meal-sized portions before you freeze it. If there isn't a Costco, BJ's or Sam's in a decent driving distance, if the meat prices in a larger city nearby are better, maybe a bi-weekly trip there would be worth it.

#4 -- coupons and Rite Aid for personal care items (UP Rewards, video credits... $11 on-line available off your non-prescription purchases right now); shop sales, stock-up... and check on-line too. Amazon may have your products for decent prices even without the coupons! It doesn't hurt to check.

The most difficult thing in any of this would be changing your buying pattern, but once the initial research is done... hopefully all you'd need to do is re-order!

Best wishes on your efforts to trim your budget. I think if you did these things (even if you couldn't get your fresh foods less expensively) and you saved $75/week that's nearly a 30% reduction in your food bill. That is a nice chunk of change!

I can see now after talking to everyone where changes need to be made and where they can be made. When I go by myself I hug the perimeter and only go into the aisles for toiletries, pasta and baking needs. When dh goes with me he likes to hit every aisle. I'll go alone next pay period and see what happens. I do almost always go with a menu and list in hand.

When my Dh is stressed he likes to eat high calorie comfort food.

I make him green smoothies for breakfast, with a side of, "I am not raising these children by myself and you will drink this."

Just say'n.

I really don't think you are doing terribly bad. Once you figure in that the toiletries don't have to be purchased every two weeks and some of the items (salmon) were special treats, you seem to be just fine. The only thing I may try to do is limit the cheese. :001_smile:

ETA: And the fruit cups. Toss em'. :P

Edited by Mercy_Me
Fruit cups :)

I have read the whole thread and it is a great discussion. I don't agree with the comments about the dh. If he wants these items and they can afford them, then don't begrudge him. If him buying coffee creamer, packaged cookies and individual packaged jello means they can't pay something else that is a necessity in life and he still insists, then that would be a problem. Many are focusing on the cheese and salmon. I don't know why the OP wants to cut her grocery expenses. Is it because she wants to be a good steward of her money or because they can't afford to pay the bills? If she wants to be a good steward of her money, then eating a fresh salmon meal at home is a lot cheaper than going out. If she can't afford to pay her bills, then she should make a different meal choice. The same could be said for coffee creamer, organic sugar, tea, kool-aid, and other packaged items. At least they are choosing to make their beverages at home instead of going to Starbucks or a convenience store for bottled beverages. Instead of buying pre-packaged items for his lunches, her dh could be eating out for lunch or buying things from a vending machine. Those individual size portions could be saving them lot of money compared to other options. I admire the OP for putting it all out there for everyone to pick apart.:001_smile:

JMO,

Joy

I have read the whole thread and it is a great discussion. I don't agree with the comments about the dh. If he wants these items and they can afford them, then don't begrudge him. If him buying coffee creamer, packaged cookies and individual packaged jello means they can't pay something else that is a necessity in life and he still insists, then that would be a problem. Many are focusing on the cheese and salmon. I don't know why the OP wants to cut her grocery expenses. Is it because she wants to be a good steward of her money or because they can't afford to pay the bills? If she wants to be a good steward of her money, then eating a fresh salmon meal at home is a lot cheaper than going out. If she can't afford to pay her bills, then she should make a different meal choice. The same could be said for coffee creamer, organic sugar, tea, kool-aid, and other packaged items. At least they are choosing to make their beverages at home instead of going to Starbucks or a convenience store for bottled beverages. Instead of buying pre-packaged items for his lunches, her dh could be eating out for lunch or buying things from a vending machine. Those individual size portions could be saving them lot of money compared to other options. I admire the OP for putting it all out there for everyone to pick apart.:001_smile:

JMO,

Joy

The bills are paid. Just saying.

The reason to try to cut costs is that we want to purchase a piece of property in 6 months. I don't think that we will be able to count on cutting the grocery budget significantly enough for it to be much help.

The original thread a couple of weeks ago was because I couldn't figure out how people were spending half of what I was to feed a family twice the size of mine. Yet they are eating fresh fruit and lots of whole foods. If I could find a way to cut my food bill in half (roughly $300 per month) over a six month period I'd have about $1800 to add to the land fund. When others are paying a dime per lemon and I'm paying four bits for the same lemon I'm not going to be able to do what I was hoping to do.

Because of where we live and the fact that I don't want to go back to no fresh produce and lots of cheap corn by-product convenience foods I don't think I can save a significant amount of money from the food bill. Yes, I can save in some areas and I can pay better attention to what I'm not putting in the cart. I won't cut my food bill in half though unless we are eating nothing but store brand mac & cheese for .75/box.

Edited by Parrothead

Guest Dulcimeramy

Parrothead, I am sure you realize by now that you speak a different food language than many of us on the boards.

You have been very gracious and open with all of this, taking the meat and spitting out the bones through the whole discussion and refusing to get offended as we put your personal food preferences under a microscope. A lesser woman would have bitten off a few heads along with her salmon and gouda by now.

Well played. Thanks for the good example.

Parrothead, I am sure you realize by now that you speak a different food language than many of us on the boards.

You have been very gracious and open with all of this, taking the meat and spitting out the bones through the whole discussion and refusing to get offended as we put your personal food preferences under a microscope. A lesser woman would have bitten off a few heads along with her salmon and gouda by now.

Well played. Thanks for the good example.

Aw, you are so sweet. Thank you.

You know, all this talk about expensive cheese (and I love cheese!) reminds me of an old CA lottery radio spot. A man walks in to a cheese store and says, "If I won this weeks jackpot, I could buy aaalllllll thissssss cheeeeeeeeese!" :lol:

:lol:

I wasn't going to mention it, but now I just have to. Some of the cheese one could purchase with lotto money is hideous. We threw away the $4 garden jack cheese. It was disgusting. :ack2:

Chucki, you mentioned something about items from your pantry earlier... Maybe giving yourself a pantry challenge would be a good (and potentially fun!) way to save a couple hundred dollars on your next shopping trip. Basically you would inventory your pantry/freezer and plan your meals around things you already have, then only buy produce and dairy. There are people that do this on the forums at Mothering.com, and it can actually be a fun and creative challenge to take on, and it can introduce some fun new recipes to the meal planning. It also really helps to see where you're buying things that you rarely actually get around to eating!

The reason to try to cut costs is that we want to purchase a piece of property in 6 months. I don't think that we will be able to count on cutting the grocery budget significantly enough for it to be much help.

<snip>

I won't cut my food bill in half though unless we are eating nothing but store brand mac & cheese for .75/box.

Okay, if this was us and we wanted that piece of property badly enough - we'd totally go to the mac & cheese for a few months. :p

We are, in a sense... we're currently on a new budget so that we can save money, with intentions of paying off debt and being able to buy a home outright in a few years....longer term than what you're working with, but similar kind of goal. We're giving up things to get this -- not as much with the food budget, as we eat pretty cheap to start with, but in lots of other areas -- because it's worth it to us in the long run. ;)

I won't cut my food bill in half though unless we are eating nothing but store brand mac & cheese for .75/box.

I understand what you are saying, and I'm glad that this thread may have given you some clarity and peace of mind about your goals for food spending.

And, obviously, if you can afford it, there's nothing in the world wrong with spending money on good food you love. Honestly, we spend more than I'm entirely happy about, largely because my family gets unhappy if they don't have some treats around pretty regularly. We can eat much less expensively when we have to, which we have occasionally over the years.

Currently, we're spending about $80 per week for the three of us who are home most of the time. And there's not a single box of macaroni in sight.

Our typical meals go something like this:

Breakfast--

Some combination of homemade banana-chocolate chip muffins (made ahead and frozen), oatmeal, hash brown patties (frozen, one of my son's indulgences), protein-spiked smoothies, bagels, fresh fruit or unsweetened applesauce, toasted homemade bread. Occasionally, I make pancakes or waffles (with a $10 waffle iron). If my son doesn't drink a smoothie, he usually has soy milk and calcium-fortified OJ with whatever he eats.

Lunch--

Leftovers or snacks, usually. I pack lunch for my husband twice a week, almost always leftovers from dinners. My son makes his own lunches, often more leftovers or something simple like some of those frozen french fries with some fruit and a glass of soy milk. Leftover pasta with sauce and anything Indian are particular favorites of his. I'm not a big lunch person, but I might make myself a salad or scoop up some hummus with veggies and crackers or just a handful or nuts and a banana.

Dinner--

This week will be something like homemade pizza with veggies, chana masala with veggie samosas and onion chutney and basmati rice, pasta with tomato sauce and homemade garlic bread, black bean burritos (with onions, bell peppers, and corn inside, baked with seasoned tomato sauce on top), falafel with hummus and couscous and sliced veggies, and a "ploughman's lunch" kind of snack-y meal with a nice bread and sliced fruits and veggies and assorted condiments (plus some cheese for my husband). Other items in our regular rotation are sloppy lentils (like sloppy joes, but with lentils) usually served with a mashed sweet potato thing everyone likes, an Asian-inspired peanut-sesame noodle dish that I often make for my husband when my son and I aren't home at dinner time, baked potatoes with whatever veggies inspire me and some homemade corn muffins, vegetable or black bean soup, various Mexican-type things (using either corn or flour tortillas, seasoned black or refried pinto beans, etc.) . . .

Snacks--

Chips, crackers, popcorn, homemade cookies or other goodies, nuts, a slice of store-bought cheesecake (my husband's current indulgence), a second smoothie for my son . . .

But, even when we do eat less expensively, we manage it without a single box of store-brand macaroni and cheese. In fact, we tend to go the other direction, making more and more items from scratch.

The meals listed above contain a few convenience foods: canned tomato paste, a box mix for the falafel, premade hummus, store-bought corn tortillas, frozen potato products, probably more items I'm not thinking of at the moment. When I'm not stressing too much about budget, I usually buy cans or jars of pasta sauce and stretch that, rather than starting from scratch. But it's just a shortcut, and I'm perfectly capable of doing without. Same thing with refried beans. I usually keep a couple of cans around for quick meals, but I also make my own using a bag of dried pintos and my crock pot. Sometimes, we buy a great loaf of bread for the snack-type meals, but I can also bake my own.

Currently, the biggest money-suckers in our budget are the processed items my family grumbles unless I buy: chips and crackers for my husband, tofu "ice cream" and frozen fries for my son, that sort of thing.

Yes, I can (and have) made most of those things or healthier substitutions from scratch, but they prefer these items. So, as long as we have the money and those treats aren't crowding out of our budget room for healthier foods, I go along.

I suspect, though, that we may actually eat more healthfully when we're broke, because that's when I fall back on homemade cookies and muffins in place of the frozen tofu stuff, when meals don't include a thing from a box.

So, as I said, it sounds like you've made peace with your choices, which is a good thing. But I did want to mention that I'm not sure your portrayal of the other options is accurate for everyone.

Edited by Jenny in Florida

I am going to school half-time, working from home part-time, and raising 3 young children. That's irrelevant though, because it doesn't matter who is working harder or how hard anyone is working if the money just isn't there.

Yes. It isn't one partner making a decision that everyone else has to follow. It's two parents working together to make the best possible choices for a family. In our family, in this case, it would be very disrespectful to demand certain "treats." Buying $50 of snacks wouldn't raise the total at the register by $50. It would lower the amount of food for our meals by $50.

Now, we can and do get treats here and there. It's usually a tub of ice cream from Aldis once a month. I shop sales and stock a pantry so that we have leeway in our budget. It's just a good example of a completely different mindset that is necessary when you don't have the option of a higher grocery bill.

If you don't need to do it, it might look strange from the outside. Neither my husband nor I have any trouble telling the other that something isn't in the budget right now. It isn't pulling out the enforcer card and being a parent to your spouse. It's working together toward the financial goals that we have made and are trying to achieve as a team.

I am going to school half-time, working from home part-time, and raising 3 young children. That's irrelevant though, because it doesn't matter who is working harder or how hard anyone is working if the money just isn't there.

Okay, then you have a very different arrangement in your home than we do. (and sound very busy!) I don't work or go to school; I'm a wife & mom. My husband's job is definitely more labour intensive - both physically and mentally.

Yes. It isn't one partner making a decision that everyone else has to follow.

Dh has the final say on financial matters here. :)

It's working together toward the financial goals that we have made and are trying to achieve as a team.

We *are* actually doing that :D - I mentioned a few posts above that we're now on a budget as well, saving for some things. Dh created the budget and I'm following it ~ but I definitely wouldn't TELL him that he couldn't have this or that. I might SUGGEST another option, but if he was set on something specific I wouldn't refuse.

Neither my husband nor I have any trouble telling the other that something isn't in the budget right now. It isn't pulling out the enforcer card and being a parent to your spouse. It's working together toward the financial goals that we have made and are trying to achieve as a team.

I was thinking something similar.

In the case mentioned here--husband is shopping with me, turns down my offer to make treats and wants to buy cookies because "it's faster"--I would likely remind him why we were trying to save money. I wouldn't say, "You may not have those," but might say, "It's up to you, but it won't help us save for vacation/get closer to buying that property/send the kids to college/whatever the specific financial goal is."

In the grand scheme of things, we "can afford" the treats my husband wants. But buying them regularly does mean we have less money to do other things. So, if we were really trying to save for something in particular and my husband lost his head and put something in the cart that was outside of the plan, I'd remind him (probably teasingly), but let it go if it was important to him.