Menu

Let's try this again. I've got a list and a receipt

You want brutally honest?

If you made the menu after you shopped, you did it in the wrong order. Check your sales FIRST. Make your menu substituting some ingredients where necessary to utilize what's available on sale and/or in season. Make your shopping list. BUY ONLY WHAT IS ON THE LIST.

You buy too much speciality bread. Make it yourself or don't eat it. Get the book "Artisan Bread in 5 minutes" and buy flour.

You buy too much cheese and too much of expensive cheese. If you want cheese in you meals, choose or substitute a more budget friendly type and quit buying so many cheeses. (FTR, I think your cheese prices are cheap compared to here, but that isn't the point in relation to your budget.)

Ditch all of these foods. You bought enough fruit already. You don't need pre-made cookies or crackers (because you're going to buy flour). Make your own. Cut up fruit and keep in the fridge for snacking.

These need to go:

Del Monte Strawberry banana peach fruit gel cup 2.73

Del Monte diced pear 2.73

Cheeze Its 2.79

Dole Fruit n Gel 2.39

Oatmeal Raisin cookies 1.89

Dutch Chocolate Chunky cookie 1.89

Kool-aid 10@.22= 2.20

Triscuits 1.99

Wheat Thins 1.99

Organic table sugar 2.79 (you already bought sugar. Use that.)

12 Grain Bread 2.39

You spent way too much on seafood. That salmon is ridiculous. Choose a more budget friendly fish.

Some of your fresh fruit and veg is out of season. It's always more expensive out of season. Adjust your menu to take advantage of seasonal produce.

If you were my friend and you were on a desperately tight budget and I knew you were open to it, I'd give you some budget cooking lessons and I'd revamp your menus big time.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your menu sounds fantastic, but you aren't going to cut your grocery bill very much by having something wonderful at nearly every meal :D. Make a list of several simple, inexpensive meals that your family enjoys. You want to be specific, because plans can go astray very easily. For example, don't just list "pasta," because pasta with no meat and a simple sauce or olive oil can be quick, delicious, and inexpensive. Pasta with no meat with bruchetta and capers is a delicious and expensive meal.

The amount of cheese was an exception, got that. The bread was a lot; consider buying some cheap bread and some good bread and that would drop. You bought a lot on some fresh produce items that may add a lot of flavor, but don't add a lot of FOOD. I'm thinking of stuff like the sweet peppers, cilantro, sage, and mushrooms. If I needed to cut back, I would probably skip those.

I don't think you are paying a lot FOR WHAT YOU ARE BUYING. Gouda cheese, fresh cilantro, and capers are not on the tightwad menu. If you can afford it, deciding that you would rather pay more and eat higher quality food (or simply food you enjoy more) is perfectly reasonable. However, if you want or need to cut your bill further, those items need to be trimmed - not entirely, but pretty drastically. You can have Gouda cheese, and you can have sweet peppers, just maybe not in the same week ;).

Again, your menu sounds yummy and you're doing fine based on what you are buying. You just need to make a concious decision: is it worth it to us?

Just a few things:

We grow tomatoes in the summer and can them for sauces, etc. in the winter.

We make bread - anything other than sliced (for sandwiches), we do here.

We never buy canned fruit or anything "fruit in a cup" - there are much healthier and much cheaper alternatives. For instance: cut up real fruit or make jello with fruit bits.

We love cheese too. We buy Jack, Cheddar, Mozerella and Parm. at Sams in bulk and we try to make it last a whole MONTH.

My MONTHLY grocery total for 4 people is under $400.

If you made the menu after you shopped, you did it in the wrong order. Check your sales FIRST. Make your menu substituting some ingredients where necessary to utilize what's available on sale and/or in season. Make your shopping list. BUY ONLY WHAT IS ON THE LIST.

You buy too much speciality bread. Make it yourself or don't eat it. Get the book "Artisan Bread in 5 minutes" and buy flour.

You buy too much cheese and too much of expensive cheese. If you want cheese in you meals, choose or substitute a more budget friendly type and quit buying so many cheeses. (FTR, I think your cheese prices are cheap compared to here, but that isn't the point in relation to your budget.)

Ditch all of these foods. You bought enough fruit already. You don't need pre-made cookies or crackers (because you're going to buy flour). Make your own. Cut up fruit and keep in the fridge for snacking.

These need to go:

Cheeze Its 2.79

Dole Fruit n Gel 2.39

Kool-aid 10@.22= 2.20

Triscuits 1.99

Wheat Thins 1.99

12 Grain Bread 2.39

You spent way too much on seafood. That salmon is ridiculous. Choose a more budget friendly fish.

Some of your fresh fruit and veg is out of season. It's always more expensive out of season. Adjust your menu to take advantage of seasonal produce.

If you were my friend and you were on a desperately tight budget and I knew you were open to it, I'd give you some budget cooking lessons and I'd revamp your menus big time.

:iagree: especially all those snack foods. Veges as snacks are cheaper and healthier. I think it is AWESOME that you are trying! It will be worth it!

My first thought is I wouldn't buy anything that wasn't on sale unless I absolutely had to have it. There really are very few things I absolutely have to have, so for the most part - I never buy something if it isn't on sale. Of course there are the few things that never go on sale and I hate it, but I must pay full price for them. My other thought is to coupon. When items go on sale, use a coupon and save more. There were lots of items on your list that have coupons. Most you can print for free and don't need a newspaper. Just a really quick answer - didn't read the other responses.

Just another thing I would add . . .

If it's processed, white, boxed, whatever, it's often cheap so it's easy to think of it as cheap. However, if you leave it off your list, it's even cheaper still! Koolaid is so cheap, a few cents per pack! You could buy a lot of it for just a dollar. or you could save your dollar. that's one more dollar in the bank.

Also, we want to buy wholesome food but what I have found is that if they have to tell you it's wholesome, they charge double. Make it at home.

:iagree: Well said, especially about them telling you it's wholesome!

Lisa

You have gotten a lot of good feedback, but I will add my .02. I would never buy 2 lbs of grapes for $7. Grapes are pricey especially since they are so heavy. I would ditch the Coffeemate. Cream would be cheaper, and milk would be even less. I would also cut back on the cheese and crackers (a weakness of mine too).

Congratulations, however, on keeping tabs on the spending and what you bought! THat is a great achievement in and of itself.

These need to go:

Cheeze Its 2.79

Dole Fruit n Gel 2.39

Kool-aid 10@.22= 2.20

Triscuits 1.99

Wheat Thins 1.99

12 Grain Bread 2.39

:iagree:

This advice is spot on.

I usually do one meal a week using expensive ingredients so DH doesn't feel deprived but that many specialty items in one week would be a no-go here. I use a lot of great spices (ordered from Penzey's) and constantly try new recipes to keep our chicken and ground turkey meals from getting dull.

We love seafood here and my main strategies are:

-Portion control - a 4-6 oz fillet per person if its a main dish, or do something like a shrimp stirfry with lots of veggies, or a scallop pasta. Use canned salmon to make salmon croquettes.

-Cheaper fish - I have some great recipes for tilapia to help spice up this otherwise bland fish. Steelhead trout is almost as rich as salmon and less expensive.

-Less expensive sources - Costco has good prices on frozen fish fillets. Convenient and less expensive and great quality. We also love their salmon burgers.

- Buy on sale. I watch ads, but will also re-arrange my menu on the spot if I find a good seafood special in the store.

I have several questions. First, where do you shop? For example, your prices for things on this list are pretty typical of what I'd find in an Albertson's or even Safeway, most of them not on sale.

What I can base things on is where I shop where I live. Which is mostly Wal-Mart, with aggressive ad-matching and heavy reliance on store brands.

Bakery I almost never buy anything from the bakery. Sometimes from the 40% discount rack as a treat. Almost all our bread comes from an outlet store where I can get a bag of rolls or a loaf of bread for $.50 that would retail for $3-5

Bagette 2.49

Italian bread 1.99

Portuguese rolls (4 ct) 1.99

Deli

Crumbled feta 5.99

HRD garden Jack (cheese) 4.87

Parmesan Wedge 7.09

Apple Smoked Mozzerella 4.59

Guda 2.99

As others have said, this is a pricey cheese list. I almost never buy anything from the deli, ever. You can get Mozzerella and Jack in the dairy section, at least. I would watch for sales and not spend more than $5/lb. for deli cheese if I was going to buy any at all; usually I stick with the dairy section and don't buy cheese for more than $4/lb. for sliced, about half the time I can find sales that bring it down to $3/lb. for shred or block

Cleaners

Lysol liquid cleaner 2.79 Vinegar and baking soda are much cheaper, esp. when you buy them in bulk.

Snuggle 3.69 I just don't use liquid fabric softener; if things are tending to get staticky, you can probably shorten your dryer cycle for at least some items. When the weather makes things really bad, I'll throw half a store brand dryer sheet in the dryer with a load.

Grocery

Del Monte Strawberry banana peach fruit gel cup 2.73 For the cup snacks, store brand is definitely cheaper; better yet go with less expensive ones like applesauce, or cut up fresh fruit and put it in a little plastic container or baggie.

Contidina Tomato Paste 3@1.29=3.87 store brand, or I'll look for a sale to bring it down to .50 or less for a small can.

Del Monte diced pear 2.73 see comment above

Cheeze Its 2.79 store brand is cheaper

Good Earth Chai Tea 3.39okay, this I might splurge on to get the brand you like--but better yet, watch for ads and stock up when it's on sale.

Dole Fruit n Gel 2.39see comment above

Sugar 2 5 lb bags@3.65=7.30 I watch for sales and can usually get C&H for $2.50 for a 4 lb. bag; I would get store brand but DH has a strong brand preference there.

Penne .89 I assume this is for a pound, though a lot of brands now sell 12 oz. boxes--first good price I've seen on your list. Though I almost always get whole wheat pasta, I definitely buy store brand to keep it down to $1/lb.

Farfalle .89

small shells.89

Raspberry preserves 2.49

Egg noodles 1.39

Kool-aid 10@.22= 2.20 I just plain wouldn't buy kool-aid. I assume the cookies are the inexpensive store brand types. Those prices aren't too bad.

Triscuits 1.99

Wheat Thins 1.99 Store brand would probably save you at least .40/box; the big family size boxes are also a better deal per ounce than the regular boxes.

Taco Seasoning .99 Store brand, or just use regular seasonings to make it cheaper. Google "taco seasoning" and you can probably find a good recipe

Taco shells 2.49I'd only buy these on sale, ever. Preferably in the package deal with the seasoning included, too.

Organic table sugar 2.79 I'd stick with regular sugar

Irish breakfast Tea 4.79 This is some pricey tea, but then you don't seem to drink coffee and that's something we spend even more on:tongue_smilie:

Black Olives 1.89 Store brand?

12 Grain Bread 2.39 see bakery comment

Dairy

Dannon Trad Peach yogurt 2@ .60=1.20

Yoplait yogurt3@.60=1.80 I won't pay more than 40cents for a little yogurt. Store brand 4 packs at my store are like 1.67 each, or I combine a sale ad with a coupon. I also often buy the 32 oz. yogurt in plain or vanilla and just mix some fresh fruit in myself. I can usually get 32 oz. Dannon Natural for $1.97

CoffeeMate 3.29 Yech, we buy half and half, by the half gallon, store brand.

Single serve frozen yogurt 4@1.00=4.00 tubs and small serving bowls for portion control are a more cost effective way to do frozen yogurt or ice cream, in my experience. I look for Breyer's or other good quality brand, and won't pay more than $2.50 for a 1.75 qt; often I can get it for $2/tub

Shredded mozzarella cheese 3lb 8.79 here you found a deal I'd go for. Though we tend to be cheddar people.

Gallon Milk 3.55 I look for ads to keep it under $2/gallon. Only if there are no sales that week will I spring for $2.18/gal for store brand milk.

Ricotta 3.89 Again, pricey stuff, but if you have a specific recipe you need it for--I'd go with store brand and take whatever price it was.

Sour Cream1.89 same as the ricotta. I try not to keep this around unless I have something specific I need it for.

Health & Beauty

Shampoo 4.49 What kind? What size? A hornkin' bottle of Tresemme, sure. Also check for store brand mimicking your preferred brand if it's not already a discount brand.

Irish Spring 3.49 Switch to store brand

Zyrtec 9.99 DEFINITELY switch to store brand/generic, preferably at Sam's Club or Costco. If someone in your house has to take this daily, Costco's store brand will save you more than their membership price in a year's supply.

Shaving cream 2.29

Razors 14.49 This is definitely a costco purchase for us

After Shave 5.68

Men's shampoo 4.99 does he really need a different kind of shampoo? Around here we all share except the little one who still can't keep things out of her eyes.

Genteal Dry Eye Gel 9.48 Is there a generic?

Benedryl 3.99 Generic would be cheaper

Produce I know this is one area where regional deals can vary a lot, but I would look for things in season

3 Apples 1.73 Won't pay more than $1/lb. for apples

7 Bananas 1.75 Won't pay more than .50/lb. for bananas

2 Oranges 1.78 Won't pay more than .50 for an orange; usually can find better deal than that

3 Apples 2.28

2 lb. grapes 6.98 won't pay more than $1.99/lb. for grapes

1 Cuke .99 Won't pay more than .50 for a cuke

2.41 lbs Tomatoes 8.15 can usually keep tomatoes below $1/lb. often can get deal on romas for .33/lb.

3 Apples 2.26

2 Pears 2.10 Wouldn't pay more than $1.50/lb. for pears

1 Broccoli Raab 2.35 I usually buy crowns, won't pay more than $1/lb., can usually get it for .88/lb. or less

1 Garlic .69

2 Leeks 1.98 can occasionally find on sale for under $1/bundle

2 avocados 2.58 Won't pay more than $.50 for an avocado Can often get them cheaper than that; probably a regional thing

1 Jalapeno .14

3 Lemons1.47 won't pay more than .33 for a lemon, but this isn't bad. I'd more likely just use bottled lemon juice for most things.

10 lbs potatoes 5.99 I often can find potatoes on sale for $1 or less for a 10 lb. bag; I won't pay more than $3 for 10 lbs.

1 Celery 1.99 Won't pay more than $1 for a bunch of celery

3 Sweet peppers 2.99 would probably skip; will get bell pepper for .50 or less each

1 pk Mushrooms 1.99 for 8 oz., this is the most I would pay

1 pk baby spinach 3.49 won't pay more than $1 for a head of any kind of greens, and will only buy bag salad on a sale. I might pay $2.50 for this

1 pk spring mix 5.99 I hope this was a really big bag.

1 bunch cilantro 2.49 Yeek! Even NOT on sale I can usually get a bunch of cilantro for under a buck; usually I'll buy it for .33/bunch or less.

1 bunch sage 2.49 I would probably go with dried; cheaper

Seafood I wouldn't pay more than $5/lb. for any seafood. Haddock I could probably find for $2.50 lb. I look for really good deals and freeze Really, we don't eat much seafood because it's so expensive

Salmon 17.97

Haddock 6.84

Flounder 7.49

Tax 3.41

Balance due 285.18

Where do you live?

ETA: I bought 22 oz Kerry Gold cheddar (grass fed) for 14.00, 8 oz Danish Gouda (no hormones) 5.99, and 15 oz French Brie (no hormones, on sale)5.98 today for about $20. I have some to freeze. My total is not $20.

I also paid 11.98 for two lbs of Finlandia (no hormones) sliced muenster. So $31.98 for my cheese, and it should last a bit.

Food prices are regional , and it depends a lot on whether you buy the no hormone /organic items.

I keep track of my food via Quicken. I buy mostly organic, and I do not by anything with GMOs, or rBST. I could post my totals for the past 4 months if you are interested, but I live in an area that has many competing markets.

Edited by LibraryLover

Ok start by using coupons for the things like shaving cream, shampoo, etc. They are in the paper every week, there is NO reason to pay full price for those things. Secondly, if you are trying to cut money you can't afford to be buying several kinds of fancy cheese. pick one if you must have it, and use sparingly. Use coupons for the canned fruit stuff, they are also fairly common. And that's a lot of bread products, I'd maybe buy the 12 grain bread but make the rest, or substitute homemade biscuits. Biscuits are quick and easy and much cheaper. Also, single serve frozen yogurt is too pricey, if you want frozen yogurt get the big tub and buy the store brand. Zyrtec comes in a store brand for cheaper, or there are coupons in the paper every week for it. Last week here the grocery store had a store coupon for it for $3 and the paper had a manufacterer coupon for $4, but otherwise I would buy the generic. I know that sounds nit picky, but you could save easily a hundred dollars a month with these changes.

Leave the husband at home? :D

:lol::lol:

HUSBANDS are murder on spending!!!! never leave a man in Walmart with a debit card UNATTENDED!

Never, ever take a man to a store and do not ever let him have the debit card alone!

Faith

:iagree:The best advice in this thread, worth repeating.

Shop from a list, never shop when hungry, pay with cash, and shop alone!

Plus your grocery prices are high in comparison to ours. And as others have said you need to cut the cheese...:D....and the seafood.

It's easy with a family of three to want to be accommodating with preferences, but if you are trying to cut costs I suggest rotating. One week you get the produce (or whatever) you enjoy best, one week dh, one week dd. That's one of the good/bad things about a smaller family, you can have greater choice, but it also doesn't force the others to eat food they like vs food they love.

Dh would prefer I spent more, but our budget is extremely tight. I remind him that he needs to eat for a week on what I buy, not just one or two good meals.

I rarely find that baking lowers my bills, because I find the hour in the oven makes my electric bill WAY higher compared to the cost of bread, however, I don't buy gourmet bread.

I try to time my use of the oven to when I have several things to bake at once. Usually when I make bread, we'll also have a casserole for dinner, and I'll make rolls or hamburger/hotdog buns for the freezer too all at the same time.

The organic sugar is for my tea. The other sugar is for baking and for kool-aid.

Can you taste a difference between organic and regular? I don't notice much flavor difference myself, and if most of your sugar is nonorganic, it's not like you're avoiding pesticides or industrial agriculture anyway. It's all about compromises, but when you want to drastically trim your grocery bill, you unfortunately have to give up a lot of indulgences.

I would make less dairy and meat meals (we eat meat 2x/week and dairy 1x/week for dinner and 1-2x/week for lunch). Also, if you think of shopping for ingredients instead of ready-made items, you can save quite a lot.

Your produce prices seem pretty high! I live in an area where it is expensive to buy, but not this expensive. Is it where you shop? Definitely just buy things that are in season, i.e. it's generally an expensive time to buy grapes. I just don't buy produce that ends up being more than $2/pound, except maybe greens since we're trying to eat enough of those.

Homemade yogurt is very easy to make, and a gallon of yogurt costs about what a gallon of milk costs.

Bread and cheese definitely stand out as expensive. Homemade bread is a HUGE money saver, and cheese is just so expensive.

Just wanted to give you some encouragement :grouphug: I'm trying to do the same thing as you in cutting down our food budget and it's hard!!

I don't have much to add that others haven't already said except I noticed you were using fresh herbs (yum!). Could you buy dried instead? It might be cheaper in the long run to have them on hand.

Also, check Amazon. They often have things on sale (including grocery items) but you have to keep an eye on their prices. If you have a family member with Prime membership, they can add you for free and you can take advantage of the free two day shipping :)

Just some more comments.

Thanks for helping with the math happymama. Yeah, there is a lot of stuff on the receipt that isn't typical. I don't even know why there are three kinds of apples. in the house no.

Thanks for all the yogurt help. I'll try to make some later this week.

I did the menus at the house before I left for the market. I can't say it is all dh's fault, but I added up his additions to the basket that were not on the list and it came to $78+change. I did include the salmon on that as it was a special treat.

Seriously, if you weren't fussing about the cheese, you'd be fussing about the chips or more cookies or something that dh can't live without. I've so radically changed his diet in the last year I'm wondering if these snacks are his way of holding on to the old ways.

So what is wrong with my menus? We are not cereal eaters and sandwiches for lunch left us about 6 months ago. I don't know why. Someone mentioned the bruchetta and capers with the pasta. I've got 3 bottles of capers in the pantry. They need to be eaten so why not? I'm not sure what is fancy about my meals. I do have a few more meat dishes than normal. I think that is because dd and I didn't have any the week that dh was gone.

Funny, the first time I asked for help I got a lot of "cut the produce, buy canned fruit" Now that I've got canned fruit I'm seeing "buy fresh it is cheaper." Maybe I bought the wrong canned fruit.

I also see a lot of, "buy it on sale." Ladies, it was on sale. The taco shells were on sale, the crackers were on sale. I don't know about dh's fruit cups because I didn't get them off the shelf. The leeks were on sale. The broccoli raab was on sale since it was a new item in the store. The yogurt was on sale. I might see it at .50 a cup if it is the store brand once or twice a year.

I'm coming to the conclusion that while I'll save quite a bit if I shop alone and set up a special budget for things like dh's razors I'm just stuck because of where we are. In the past 7 years my grocery bill has doubled. But I've lost easy access to Sams, there is no competition for customers being in one supermarket towns, and our eating habits have drastically changed. Not to mention the economy in general is ugly.

There were a number of comments about how one wouldn't pay more than X amount for Y produce. I haven't seen prices like your X since I left AZ 7 years ago. There I was buying lemons for a dime in season. Here I'm lucky to get them for .50 each. I seem to have developed the attitude that "oh well, if I want it I'm going to have to pay for it." Otherwise we would never have anything that wasn't in a can.

With the suggestions given I can probably reign it in to just above $200 every two weeks. Thanks.

I would check Amazon for some things and compare, there may be a few things that are cheaper even with the shipping.

For example, you can get a pack of 24 6-oz organic tomato paste with free shipping for $30.70 or a pack of 12 6-oz non-organic paste for $8.29 + $8.95 shipping.

Pears:

12 pack of 15oz pears for $19.04 with free super saver shipping.

Are you on FaceBook? If so, "Like" Hip2Save, and Money Saving Moms. I get notices for online coupons all the time. I only print what I know I'll use and then I print the max allowed. I've gotten $2 off Hillshire Farms lunch meat (which made it around .60 a container), I've gotten B1G1 Minute Maid OJ, I've gotten free milk, etc. If you stockpile some high dollar coupons, watch for when things go on sale and you can save even more. I'm not coupon-obsessive, but I do keep an eye out for ones that I know I'll use then I get as much as I can with them.

I'll offer a little different advice regarding bread. I hate making bread. I'd rather just buy it at a bread outlet (Orowheat or Wonder) and be done with it. Walmart often has a discounted bread rack and you can get specialty breads for a huge discount. At my WM, it's back by the milk. For cookies, though, I'd just make them. Or have the kids make them. I've made my own crackers before, and they're pretty good, but sometimes I just want a saltine! So, just watch for when they go on sale, and get the store brand. I buy the fat free store brand and I swear, you can not tell they're not the top-of-the line crackers.

You might also want to look into whether your local butchers offer bundles. All the ones around here do. You can get a variety of beef, pork and/or chicken bundles for a decent price. Sometimes the outlay is large, but it could save you money in the long run.

I don't know what to say about cheese. It's really pricey. Maybe see if you can go in on a larger amount with some friends and divide it up. Sometimes buying a whole chunk is cheaper per pound than a smaller sliver.

As for produce, buy fresh what's in season, and buy canned or frozen what's not. That's my rule, anyway. And take heart! Soon, it'll be spring and farmer's markets will be popping up and produce will be very reasonable!

I don't think I've ever seen corn tortillas here. :confused: I have a limited selection of flour tortilla - 8 to a pack and over $2.00 a pack so I don't get them very often.

Farmer's market here is a joke. I was so looking forward to it this past summer since I haven't had one to go to for a number of years. It was for geared to the tourists. Jams and Jellies at $5. a jar and art work and baked goods.:glare:

With the suggestions given I can probably reign it in to just above $200 every two weeks. Thanks.

It's hard to believe how cheap groceries are in some areas of the country. :001_huh:

I thought you were spending $285 a week! I spend a minimum of $175 a week and I could maybe get it down to $300 every 2 weeks if I gave up Greek yogurt, wine/beer, bread, and vitamins.

Just some more comments.

Seriously, if you weren't fussing about the cheese, you'd be fussing about the chips or more cookies or something that dh can't live without. I've so radically changed his diet in the last year I'm wondering if these snacks are his way of holding on to the old ways.

So what is wrong with my menus? We are not cereal eaters and sandwiches for lunch left us about 6 months ago. I don't know why. Someone mentioned the bruchetta and capers with the pasta. I've got 3 bottles of capers in the pantry. They need to be eaten so why not? I'm not sure what is fancy about my meals. I do have a few more meat dishes than normal. I think that is because dd and I didn't have any the week that dh was gone.

Funny, the first time I asked for help I got a lot of "cut the produce, buy canned fruit" Now that I've got canned fruit I'm seeing "buy fresh it is cheaper." Maybe I bought the wrong canned fruit.

I also see a lot of, "buy it on sale." Ladies, it was on sale. The taco shells were on sale, the crackers were on sale. I don't know about dh's fruit cups because I didn't get them off the shelf. The leeks were on sale. The broccoli raab was on sale since it was a new item in the store. The yogurt was on sale. I might see it at .50 a cup if it is the store brand once or twice a year.

There were a number of comments about how one wouldn't pay more than X amount for Y produce. I haven't seen prices like your X since I left AZ 7 years ago. There I was buying lemons for a dime in season. Here I'm lucky to get them for .50 each. I seem to have developed the attitude that "oh well, if I want it I'm going to have to pay for it." Otherwise we would never have anything that wasn't in a can.

I didn't fuss about the cookies. Everyone needs a few treats, and you were buying cheap ones. My produce prices are Arizona based, so I feel for you. But you do need to determine what your really good deal prices are. Usually, the best prices on produce are the in-season items that make the front page of the grocery ad. However, given the overall prices there, you might want to see if there is Bountiful Baskets or a CSA in your area. They're both ways of getting in-season, locally-sourced produce, and usually you get a very good deal for the price.

Also, take a look at the prices for frozen veggies and fruit. You'll get a lot more nutrition out of them than out of canned. Again, stick with store brands and avoid expensive packaging (e.g. microwave steam bags).

And check around for outlet stores. There could be dairy, bakery, or other outlet stores you don't know about in your area. They often don't advertise beyond word of mouth. Even if you have to drive a bit, a monthly trip to such a store can be very worthwhile.

I'm just stuck because of where we are. In the past 7 years my grocery bill has doubled. But I've lost easy access to Sams, there is no competition for customers being in one supermarket towns, and our eating habits have drastically changed. Not to mention the economy in general is ugly.

I understand your frustrations. I live remotely as well. I don't have choices with food purchases - no competition, no double coupons, no warehouse stores, etc. The prices that people are quoting are cheap for me too.

I posted this on your other thread as well. Your grocery list is very similar to mine, but how you buy is very different. Your list was full of things I would LOVE to buy for my family, but that I either don't buy or I buy cheaper options.

*We don't eat fish or steaks. Just ground beef, chicken, and pork.

*We don't buy anything from the deli.

*We don't eat premade or boxed mixes.

*We don't buy nicer cheeses.

*We don't buy drinks. Just milk, water, and coffee for dh.

*We don't buy fancy bread. Just regular whole wheat, tortillas, and buns.

*We don't buy fruit out-of-season.

Remember that not all sales are great deals. My store has ground beef on sale right now, but it's not their best sale price. I'm waiting until their best sale price and then I'll buy 30 lbs. A sale on name brand crackers is probably still more expensive than store brand crackers. A sale on single serving anything is probably more expensive than buying the same thing in bulk. A sale on off-season fruit is still more expensive than in-season fruit. A sale on deli meat is more expensive than making your own ham/roast/chicken.

Buying food can be stressful. I have found that cutting away at the grocery spending seems to be many little changes and choices that add up over time.

Did you want criticism on the KIND of food that you eat (ie: it's not all homemade happy wholesome keep you alive until you're 138 years old kinda food) or suggestions on how to get the stuff your family likes for less dollars?

I've noticed a lot of the former mixed in with the latter.

I posted earlier and said that we wouldn't bother with the fancy cheeses (to us, those are fancy) and that I look for generic no-name store brand stuff for pretty much everything... and I think that's really important, after I've read your comments about where you live and looked at your list again.

Your produce prices are close to ours... we're a bit more expensive.

"Eat local in season" - would mean that we were eating... hmmm...what grows in snow? :tongue_smilie:

(even when it isn't snowing, not much of anything grows around here - our farmer's market is the same deal.. a few expensive homemade jams, some crafts, and then a bunch of home-based business like Avon and Pampered Chef.)

Anyway. If you like wheat thins (and I love 'em!) get the store brand.

[why are people saying "don't let your husband shop" and such? I'm sure the man works hard - let the poor guy have his fruit cups & coffee!]

I don't think I've ever seen corn tortillas here. :confused: I have a limited selection of flour tortilla - 8 to a pack and over $2.00 a pack so I don't get them very often.

Farmer's market here is a joke. I was so looking forward to it this past summer since I haven't had one to go to for a number of years. It was for geared to the tourists. Jams and Jellies at $5. a jar and art work and baked goods.:glare:

Good grief, that is a lot for tortillas! I get a pack of 36 (Mission brand) at BJ for right at $3.

One of the sort of simple (but time consuming) tips I've read is to make notes on the regular price of the things you generally buy (and we're mostly creatures of habit, buying the same things), so that sales become more obvious.

You may not have access to more than one grocery store. If you did, it would be worth noting the prices at both so you could see where it makes most sense to buy what (and where the sale prices are best when the flyers come out).

If you eat meat, have you looked for a butcher? Sometimes they're less expensive (and sometimes not).

For the spices and tea, consider mail order in bulk. I know I have access to far more opportunities here in AZ, but generally buying spices in bulk reduces the price per ounce. I got a spice jar's worth of thyme for 50c yesterday from a bulk bin. While you don't know me from Eve, there might be another mother here you "know" better who could do similar shopping for you. Spices are often so light that even the shipping would be low. Those are a smaller bit of your budget.

What would DH do if you didn't buy the individual servings? Would he just take less for lunch from home? Would he then eat more at work from vending machines or something? Mine was willing to bring jello from home in those little half-cup containers from Rubbermaid, but he was too cheap to buy food from a machine, so he'd take loads of stuff from home in order to avoid vending machines.

When apples are in season, can you go pick your own? I saw you had complained about the price when it is apple season, but I didn't know if they were any cheaper at U-pick places.

Have you asked your grocery store to carry some unsauced veggies? Sometimes they'll order stuff when they know someone wants it.

"Eat local in season" - would mean that we were eating... hmmm...what grows in snow? :tongue_smilie:

:lol: We can't eat local in the winter, but we can eat in season. Right now apples, oranges, and bananas are in season. That's the only fresh fruit we are eating and I am adding variety with canned fruit.

I can't believe I did this, but I bought the industrial sized canned fruit this last time around. :001_huh: I am still in shock that my life has evolved to buying industrial sized food.

I think maybe you just need buy-in on your plans from your husband. I don't think he should have to do without things he enjoys necessarily, but I don't know how you're supposed to cut that bill if he doesn't want to sacrifice. So maybe take this list to him and ask him how he thinks you can cut back?

You coul show your husband all these posts.

I only buy fancy bread on the reduced rack.

I make my own yogurt.

I only buy canned mandarin oranges & pineapple with a coupon or on sale and they are just for recipes.

I buy a large #10 can of tomato paste and put it into small portions onto waxed paper, freeze it and then put it into ziplock baggies. I can then pull out what I want. I get pasta free with coupons. We make lots of soup and paninis using sliced bulk cheeses from GFS or Sam's. I never buy deli stuff unless it's clearanced. I only use dry herbs unless it's summer, then I grow my own. I coupon all the time and my grocery bill is less than $400 per month for a family of 5. It would be less, but dh likes his beer.

I just realized - where I am we have lots of uber-cheap cilantro, tortillas, salsa, etc. because of two dominant groups here: Hispanic and low-income - and other items cheap since we have the area's largest number of Laotians (!) while in nearby suburbs are Japanese, etc. So stores cater to them (I buy our jasmine rice in 25-lb bags for $14 from Oriental Market every couple months). One local market is the flat-out Hispanic supermarket and while canned goods, etc. are too pricey, it is my go-to store for cheap produce and meat - they have high-quality USDA CHOICE cheaper than the non-Hispanic stores do for the lesser grades! I usually pay less than $3 a pound for a rump roast or round steak, for example.

I also have an Aldis, there will be a Sam's down the road next year, Trader Joe's is 20 minutes up the road - we also have nearby SuperTarget, Jewel (that place is too pricey, though) and Meijers. A larger Walmart with groceries will be built soon, too. Oh, and Caputos, a small local chain owned by Italian immigrants that has the cheapest imported pasta/olive oil, etc. and lots of cheap foreign foods.

So it is easy for me to look at your list and say you are paying too much - I probably have access to a wider variety of cheaper food than you do. My cilantro, for example, is usually 3 big bunches for a dollar! I can choose from three Chicago-area brands of tortillas - the corn ones are delivered fresh and STILL WARM to my Hispanic market daily!!!!

This is in Elgin, IL btw.

I just remembered - I grew up in S. California. My mom told me once that when we were small and briefly lived in Maryland the once taco shells she could ever buy came in a CAN!

When I was 18 mom took me for a week to Concordia, KS (where she grew up) to see old relatives, etc. I was astounded at the one store in town how little produce there was, and that mostly shrink-wrapped in plastic!

So it really depends where you live not only prices but variety! And if you only have one ot two stores nearby, where is the competition that might lower prices???

Edited by JFSinIL

I don't know what to tell you, other than buy store brands, start a price book (so you know when a sale really is a sale), and decide which treats are really important. Maybe you could rotate them, or stock up when they're on sale.

My dh does terrible things to the food budget if he shops, or if he shops with me. However, there are some things he likes and doesn't want to give them up. He works in part, so he can have things he likes. I make about 95% of the food choices, so I let him have his 5%. Still, I'd rather shop by myself and buy him what he wants than have him shop with me.

On the other end of the spectrum, there are things we'd never get to have because of the heat. No apples, no asparagus, lettuce only for about 3-4 months of the year...Yeah, "eat local and in season" doesn't take into account those of us who live where there are weather extremes. Some will say learn to can. Fine, but you still can't can local produce if it doesn't grow here.

you still can't can local produce if it doesn't grow here.

Yeah - on that trip to a small town in Kansas when I was a lot younger I was shocked at how little produce there was - I thought since it was farm country there would be heaps! But seems all the farmers grew thereabouts was corn.

At a salad bar in the town's restaurant there was a bowl of chopped iceberg lettuce, and tubs and tubs of congealed salads - everything was mixed with mayo or some other dressing, if not encased in Jell-o. Not one bit of fresh raw plain carrot or other veggie to be seen.

It just comes down to what you have to spend. If you were me and only had a hundred bucks to feed a family of seven for a week including toiletries and cleaning stuff, what would you buy? I guarantee you wouldn't be debating the virtues of 'good cheese'.

If I had more money to spend, I'm sure I could come up with more stuff that I considered 'essential' and more arguements about why I shouldn't have to give it up. However, the reality is that you are going to buy what you can given the amount of money you have to spend. If you truly want to reduce your food spending then I have a very simple solution for you. Figure out what you want to spend and then pretend that amount is all you have, you simply can not spend more because you do not have it. Then figure out your menus and what not from there. No cheating.

It just comes down to what you have to spend. If you were me and only had a hundred bucks to feed a family of seven for a week including toiletries and cleaning stuff, what would you buy? I guarantee you wouldn't be debating the virtues of 'good cheese'.

If I had more money to spend, I'm sure I could come up with more stuff that I considered 'essential' and more arguements about why I shouldn't have to give it up. However, the reality is that you are going to buy what you can given the amount of money you have to spend. If you truly want to reduce your food spending then I have a very simple solution for you. Figure out what you want to spend and then pretend that amount is all you have, you simply can not spend more because you do not have it. Then figure out your menus and what not from there. No cheating.

You've hit the nail on the head. If I didn't have the money, well, yeah, I'd've skipped over quite a bit of that stuff. I would have skipped everything but the dairy and the pasta. Thinking about it, in all reality what I needed was way different than what I bought. I could have made the next two weeks on what I have in the house already with the exception of milk. It is nice to put it in perspective sometimes. Thanks. I need to go into the market with cash.

If you live near a Costco, Kirkland brand Zyrtec is about $15 for 365 tablets. You read that correctly. 365 tablets for $15. We just bought these yesterday for our family so it was fresh in my mind.

We also live and eat much simpler than your list. We have a big bag of shredded cheese (again from Costco) that I use in everything. It's a blend and costs $12-$15 for a 5 lb bag. It lasts about 6 weeks.

We also don't by fish because it's too expensive (except tuna).

And I only buy personal care products with coupons and stock up.

I haven't read the rest of the responses but just wanted to share my thoughts. Hope you get a lot of good tips.

Where do you live?

ETA: I bought 22 oz Kerry Gold cheddar (grass fed) for 14.00, 8 oz Danish Gouda (no hormones) 5.99, and 15 oz French Brie (no hormones, on sale)5.98 today for about $20. I have some to freeze. My total is not $20.

I also paid 11.98 for two lbs of Finlandia (no hormones) sliced muenster. So $31.98 for my cheese, and it should last a bit. (do the math above)

Food prices are regional , and it depends a lot on whether you buy the no hormone /organic items.

I keep track of my food via Quicken. I buy mostly organic, and I do not by anything with GMOs, or rBGH. I could post my totals for the past 4 months if you are interested, but I live in an area that has many competing markets.

Not the OP but would love to see this. I have been wanting to buy NON gmo and non rBGH. Just can't afford it in my area.

Holly

I'm just going down the line here and commenting on posts.

I do forget that we have a Rite-Aid. We were so long without a local pharmacy that I have to make myself remember to go there. Where am I to get the Rite Aid coupons from?

The dog likes vinegar too. If it clean with it he licks it, then I have to clean it again because it is covered with dog drool. I do agree that I can get get cheaper than Lysol. The stuff I bought is the liquid concentrate.

I've never made yogurt. I'd need a recipe. Do I need special equipment?

The deli cheese is because dh went to the store with me. I will say this is the first time in 6 weeks he has not spent just as much on chips. Yes $15.00 a week in Doritos and potato chips. :glare: If I have to spend it to keep him happy I'd much rather buy cheese than Doritos. I did not realize there was $35.00 on cheese. I will not have to buy parm (big block) or mozz (big bag) for the rest of the month. Maybe even 2 months for the mozz.

I will put artisan bread in 5 minutes a day in my Amazon cart. I have baked bread in the past, but I got a bit burned out on it.

I won't buy microwave popcorn because of the additives, but I know I should use my whirley pop much more than I do.

My people won't drink plain water. I do cut the sugar to about 2/3 of a cup instead of the whole cup. The organic sugar is for my tea. The other sugar is for baking and for kool-aid.

The taco shells were on sale.

If I freeze yogurt from the dairy case is it the same thing as frozen yogurt?

The zyrtec I bought was the store brand. I couldn't spell citriz..... I don't have a Sam's close. I wonder if they will ship meds. Also the Benedryl was store brand. I can't spell psuedoephri....

Again, the salmon was just special for dh's returning home. He is cooking, too.

The reason I buy that particular (large size) tomato paste is because it is just tomatoes. Dh and I compared today and for the price that was the best we could get.

Even when apples are harvested locally they aren't less than $1.29 per pound. I can't get anything less than $1.00 per pound ever where I live. The three different is because I like fuji apples which were $1.69/pound, dh likes a different kind at the same price. I'm not sure why there are three types in there. I was surprised when I got home and put them in the fruit bowl. I'll have to ask dh. ETA: The bananas are for my reflux. They are a bit green so they last longer since I've got a few left over from last trip.

The fruit/gel stuff for dh's lunch is one of those things. I'll make some Jello even adding fruit and it will sit in the fridge until I get tired of seeing it. Even if I put it in custard cups with their own lids. I'll have to revisit the issue with dh and see.

I told dh I'd make cookies. He said the packaged cookies are faster and put them in the cart. :glare:

I'm starting to sound like a broken record. The coffeemate is a dh thing. I don't drink coffee. I spend $300 a year on his coffee alone. If it were up to me he be getting instant coffee. :D

Seems that there are some things that are sacred which I'm not allowed to change.

I don't have a sam's, whole foods, super walmart or costco within driving distance. Some are not even in my state.

Where I live, everything is out of season. And I realized today that my frozen veggie section is awful. It is full of veggies with sauce or veggies with some kind of something else. Are people not buying plain frozen green beans? Maybe not in my area.

We are about half and half for vegetarian - meat meals.

I might be stocking up on sugar. I haven't bought any in months. I told dh to get sugar and it might be the whole biggest package thing because he said, "10 pounds?" I said, "Sure." and that is why we have two 5 pound bags. I actually thought he bought one big bag until I got home. It was store brand.

The potatoes are grown here. If I had bought 100 pounds in October, and stored them properly (my 50 pound bag froze then thawed then froze again in my mud room) I'd be okay with potatoes. The potatoes were grown here, put up for sale and then shipped to Frito Lay. If I buy them at the market I get them from Idaho. So, yeah, I messed up 5 months ago.

The pasta was on sale so that is why I bought so much even though it isn't on the menus.

Thanks Melissa for the coupon links. I'll have to look into it. About 6 weeks ago I printed off a bunch of coupons and cut them out and left them at home. :001_huh: I'll have to do better.

Looking at your food bill, which it sounds like you are in an area like ours where cheaper food is a pipe dream, and at your reasons for buying a lot of the things you do..........how about I throw you a curve ball and just say----Could you possibly find another area to cut your costs??? Really---if you are in the boonies, more expensive food is a reality and unless you want to eat poor quality packaged garbage, you will pay more. Period. Taking all the goodies away from a hard working husband is not always a good idea unless perhaps it is HIS idea and he really wants to take out each and every treat on the list. How about focusing on cutting a power bill or phone bill or something else that makes more sense. Seriously.

Not the OP but would love to see this. I have been wanting to buy NON gmo and non rBGH. Just can't afford it in my area.

Holly

The best price I've seen for Kerry Gold is at BJ's (like Costco). Market Basket also has good sale prices on imported cheeses. (Hit or miss, but something is always on sale). Market Basket deli also has Finlandia (there are other brands as well) brand cheese, and I know some Costco do as well. I can usually find imported cheese for 6-7.50/lb (not on sale), which is pricey, but organic cheese is usually about $12/lb. The regulations for Eurpoean artisan cheeses are good, and BGH is not used.

You probably don't have a Market Basket, but maybe a Costco?

There's a carbon footprint associated with buying imported foods, and that is an issue I struggle with. I've hidden some of the cheese in the back of the freezer. I would like it to last a bit. A great cheese is a wonderful thing, and a little goes a long way in flavoring food, or when eaten with fruit or a nice bread.

Edited by LibraryLover

I agree with a pp that a low food bill is not always a virtue. If you don't have to save money and your family is happy with what they are eating, keep at it! My husband would love to eat your food and would be happy to pay for it. I am the cheapskate here. :001_smile: I also would not put the time into cooking that you do, since I can't eat it. (Food allergies) I am surprised that you don't think your menu is fancy though. It sounds like eating at a wonderful restaurant each day. ;) I cook 3 times a week, and it is very simple: meat, veggies, starch, with the occasional soup or chili.

Just some more comments.

Thanks for helping with the math happymama. Yeah, there is a lot of stuff on the receipt that isn't typical. I don't even know why there are three kinds of apples. in the house no.

Thanks for all the yogurt help. I'll try to make some later this week.

I did the menus at the house before I left for the market. I can't say it is all dh's fault, but I added up his additions to the basket that were not on the list and it came to $78+change. I did include the salmon on that as it was a special treat.

I'm coming to the conclusion that while I'll save quite a bit if I shop alone and set up a special budget for things like dh's razors I'm just stuck because of where we are. In the past 7 years my grocery bill has doubled. But I've lost easy access to Sams, there is no competition for customers being in one supermarket towns, and our eating habits have drastically changed. Not to mention the economy in general is ugly.

You don't seem really open to changing the way you eat drastically. Fair enough. There are other ways to save a lot of money. I know people focus on getting their grocery bills down, but honestly.... that's chump change in the grand scheme of budgeting. Have you looked hard at other areas of your budget? If you want to keep eating in your comfort zone, what would you be willing to change in your expenditures? Take another look and see what could go or be replaced by something free or cheaper.

Edited by Audrey

First is what we bought for a two week period and the amount I spent. Below that is what I plan on making with this purchase over a period of two weeks. If you can see any way to significantly save money on groceries, without turning to hamburger helper type stuff, please let me know.

Bakery

Bagette 2.49

Italian bread 1.99

Portuguese rolls (4 ct) 1.99

Skip all these. Buy a nice healthy loaf of bread

Deli

Crumbled feta 5.99

HRD garden Jack (cheese) 4.87

Parmesan Wedge 7.09

Apple Smoked

Guda 2.99

Skip all these. Buy blocks of cheese in the dairy isle.

Cleaners

Lysol liquid cleaner 2.79 Walmart brand cleaners or make own.

Snuggle 3.69 Walmart brand dryer sheets

Grocery

Contidina Tomato Paste 3@1.29=3.87

Cheeze Its 2.79

Good Earth Chai Tea 3.39 Skip

Dole Fruit n Gel 2.39

Sugar 2 5 lb bags@3.65=7.30

Penne .89

Farfalle .89

small shells.89

Raspberry preserves 2.49

Egg noodles 1.39

Oatmeal Raisin cookies 1.89 Skip

Dutch Chocolate Chunky cookie 1.89Skip

Kool-aid 10@.22= 2.20Skip

Triscuits 1.99

Wheat Thins 1.99

Taco Seasoning .99Skip

Taco shells 2.49Skip. Just buy tortillas.[/color

Organic table sugar 2.79Skip

Irish breakfast Tea 4.79

Black Olives 1.89

12 Grain Bread 2.39This should be the only bread you buy

No name brands! Buy in bigger containers and divvy out into smaller container, things like canned fruit

Dairy[/u

Dannon Trad Peach yogurt 2@ .60=1.20

Yoplait yogurt3@.60=1.80

CoffeeMate 3.29

Single serve frozen yogurt 4@1.00=4.00 Skip

Shredded mozzarella cheese 3lb 8.79

Gallon Milk 3.55

Ricotta 3.89

Sour Cream1.89

Again no name brands. Bigger containers.

Health & Beauty

Shampoo 4.49

Irish Spring 3.49

Zyrtec 9.99

Shaving cream 2.29

Razors 14.49

After Shave 5.68

Men's shampoo 4.99

Genteal Dry Eye Gel 9.48

Benedryl 3.99

No name brands.

Produce

3 Apples 1.73

7 Bananas 1.75

2 Oranges 1.78

3 Apples 2

2 lb. grapes 6.98

1 Cuke .99

2.41 lbs Tomatoes 8.15

3 Apples 2.26

2 Pears 2.10

1 Broccoli Raab 2.35

1 Garlic .69

2 Leeks 1.98

2 avocados 2.58

1 Jalapeno .14

3 Lemons1.47

10 lbs potatoes 5.99

1 Celery 1.99

3 Sweet peppers 2.9

1 pk Mushrooms 1.99

1 pk baby spinach 3.49

1 pk spring mix 5.99

1 bunch cilantro 2.49

1 bunch sage 2.49

Try to stick to sale items. Use dry herbs.

Seafood

Salmon 17.97

Haddock 6.84

Flounder 7.49

Skip the seafood. Buy only meat that is on sale.

Tax 3.41

Balance due 285.18

Menu Breakfasts

Breakfast burritos, pancakes, leftover pancakes French toast, scrambled eggs

w/spinach, eggs w/fried potatoes and sausage, leftovers, banana bread, leftovers, fried eggs, scones, leftovers, scrambled eggs with toast, muffins.

Menu Lunch

Quesadillas, grilled cheese w/ soup, Greek salad, Caesar Salad w/chicken, California dream salad (all salads served with multi-grain muffins, black bean soup, leek & potato soup, chicken noodle soup, leftover lasagna, left over pasta, left over chili, leftover stew, leftover quinoa

Menu Dinner

Beef stew, fish with salad and bread, pork chops with rice and veg, steak with baked potato and salad, lasagna, Peruvian Quinoa stew, pasta with chicken piccate sauce, lentils and rice, chili, pasta with bruchetta and capers, tacos, fish and chips, dinner out at SB party, free night for whatever

Some notes: Some things are not typical. Dh ran out of all shaving supplies this week while gone so all that had to be purchased today. The eye gel is medically necessary. I can not dump that. The fruit cups and individual yogurts are to fill out dh's lunches. The salmon is a treat to celebrate dh's homecoming today. The massive tomato purchase is to make Pico de gallo for the Super Bowl Party we are attending. And I ran out of all my allergy meds yesterday. I find it cheaper to buy mozzerella in large quantities and freeze it. I did not buy the melons today. The cantaloupe was almost $4.00 for one melon.

This is what I would do.

You don't seem really open to changing the way you eat drastically. Fair enough. There are other ways to save a lot of money. I know people focus on getting their grocery bills down, but honestly.... that's chump change in the grand scheme of budgeting. Have you looked hard at other areas of your budget? If you want to keep eating in your comfort zone, what would you be willing to change in you expenditures? Take another look and see what could go or be replaced by something free or cheaper.

You are right. I don't want to change drastically. Yes, I agree that the cheese is a bit overboard. When it was being dumped into the cart I didn't pay attention to the fact that we got 6 or 7 different types of cheese for the time period. Yes, I can find some other way to fill out dh's lunches. Yes, the salmon was pricey but it was a once or twice a year purchase.

But as for the meals themselves, no, I don't want to drastically change them. It took me a long time to go from browning a bit of ground beef then dumping a box of mac & cheese on it and adding a can of green beans and calling that dinner. Now that same meal is pasta with fresh chopped veggies tossed with bruchetta from a jar.

I buy this big box of baby spinach. It needs to be eaten so why not toss some into my scrambled eggs? No, I don't want to throw over the scrambled eggs for a box of Lucky Charms. The eggs come to me free. A box of cereal, even a box of steel cut oats, costs way more than free eggs. While not picky per se dd has food texture issues. She won't eat the eggs, but will eat pancakes for the 3rd day in a row. Those pancakes are homemade instead of from a box in the freezer section.

So no, I don't want to go back to cheap pre-packaged filled with corn by-product "food." Which was the reason for my question "Is there a way to cut costs and still eat mostly whole foods at mealtimes?"

I really can only present a healthy case to dh about the junk he prefers. I can make him healthy meals with the freshest whole foods that I can find/afford. What he does between those meals is his decision. I did offer to make cookies at home. How do you fight his response of "These are faster?"

I really can only present a healthy case to dh about the junk he prefers. I can make him healthy meals with the freshest whole foods that I can find/afford. What he does between those meals is his decision. I did offer to make cookies at home. How do you fight his response of "These are faster?"

Do what several pp have suggested. DO NOT take your DH grocery shopping. My bill easily doubles when DH goes along. :001_smile: It is much cheaper to ask him if he would like anything special that week. Then say, "okay, I'll see what I can do."

We spend a lot on groceries, but I consider it a matter of quality of life, and I'm not ready to economize/compromise.

This year, we refinanced our house, and shopped for cheaper insurance. That has saved us tons more each month than giving up imported olives and expensive cheese ever could.

How do you fight his response of "These are faster?"

They are faster -- a faster track to a heart attack. You can make cookies and crackers and know what is in them. You can make a big batch and then they're just there, ready for a fast snack, aren't they?

Quite honestly, if it were my husband, I would just tell him I'm not buying them. I'm making from scratch and that is simply that. End of argument.

I get that you don't want to change the food, and that really is okay! However, you did ask how to cut back the grocery bill and changing the food is truly the only way to do that. I know what it's like to be stuck with limited food choices and being a slave to the local prices. There are ways to do it so that you aren't spending so much, but if you don't want to change, you don't want to change. That's okay! You aren't eating a lot of junk food. You aren't blowing it all on pizza and beer. Don't worry about it anymore. Your grocery bill is what it is.

If you aren't going to change the food, I still say that there are other ways to cut the budget. I'm not talking about the food budget here. I'm talking about your other expenses (entertainment, clothing, utilities, cars, etc.) Eat what you are eating and explore other options for saving money.

Edited by Audrey