Menu

Are braces only "cosmetic"?

I have read on several post where people categorize braces in the same category as cosmetic surgery and 'painful things' we do to be attractive.

This kinda shocks me. I have never thought of braces as "cosmetic". I have always thought that having straight, properly aligned teeth and jaws are necessary for good oral health care. I have had braces twice. My teeth were extremely over crowded (had 4 permanent teeth removed) and my bite was bad the first time I had braces. I don't think I could have cleaned them properly if they weren't fixed. The 2nd time I had braces, my teeth had shifted from the removal of my wisdom teeth. The shift cause an overbite that was so bad I could stick my tounge out with my teeth clenched. I couldn't bite with my front teeth and had to tare my food with my side teeth. It also caused me to have horrible TMJ.

I don't understand why this is considered "cosmetic".

No - well, not in most cases. My kids both have bite issues, and my younger DS's speech is even affected by it.

I do know of one teen girl who talked her mom into getting her braces even though her teeth were fine... the daughter said all of her friends were getting them and she wanted to fit in....:lol: I couldn't help but laugh at them.... rude, I know - but I really couldn't help it!

It depends. Husband had braces on his top teeth, then refused to have them on his bottom teeth later. He now has straight top teeth and crowded bottom teeth. He did once have to have a filling on one of his crowded front teeth, but that's one filling in the forty years since he refused the braces.

Other people have teeth that will really cause problems. Calvin has just finished having braces - his teeth stuck out a long way at the front, not fitting properly inside his lips. There was an efficiency reason for him to have braces.

Hobbes has wonky teeth, like his father: if we have them done, it will be for cosmetic reasons.

FWIW, the National Health Service assesses based on medical need: if you meet the medical criteria (as Calvin did) then the braces are free. If you don't meet the criteria, then you pay 100% yourself.

Laura

It depends. My 9yo had a very severe overjet that affected her speech, and it was an accident waiting to happen (if she fell and landed face first she would have landed on her teeth, they were so far out). We did head-gear and retainers and she looks SO much better.

My neighbor has very crooked and crowded teeth, she's getting braces. That's cosmetic, but I don't think that's a negative thing. They do look really bad and she's self-conscious about them.

Not always. My dd10 just got her braces removed in September and it was not cosmetic. When she was 1 she fell and smashed her teeth on a pot lid. Her top teeth were smashed up into her gums, which caused them to fall out later than usual. Consequently, her bottom two front teeth came in sticking out. It was so bad her gums were receding. We thought she would lose those permanent teeth. So, she got her braces at age 9. Hopefully we won't have to do it again. Of course, her orthodontist is more than willing to "perfect" her teeth in the future should they move. I don't know that we are striving for perfection. A nice, healthy, mostly straight set of teeth is good enough for us.

Just curious - if there is anyone who would not get thier kid braces because it is "cosmetic" rather than medically necessary...what is your thinking?

Does "cosmetic" always equal "not necessary" or "vain"?

I know each person has a different line there. I.E. I think braces or treatment for severe acne is "necessary" but not plastic surgery. Another person might feel differently. How do you decide where your line is?

Just curious - if there is anyone who would not get thier kid braces because it is "cosmetic" rather than medically necessary...what is your thinking?

My dd's teeth are nearly perfect. Her eyeteeth are slightly back and she has a tiny overbite, but her teeth look perfect in pictures. The eyeteeth bother her, however. We are considering braces for her only because insurance will cover half. It's not a done deal, though.

Sometimes. Not always. It varies.

How's that for any answer? :tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

There are those that are doing it purely for cosmetic reasons. Then there are those that NEED them...teeth running into each other, double rows of teeth, etc, can be painful and make cleaning very difficult (thus being more prone to cavities). Some children's jaws grow enough that their teeth eventually adjust on their own. Other children's jaws need help.

My youngest has braces right now and they are absolutely a necessity. We're hoping that she doesn't end up needing orthognathic surgery as well. That all depends on whether her lower jaw tilts further or recedes more as she grows.

My oldest doesn't have any need for braces. Her teeth are perfect.

My middle dd has some minor crowding on the bottom. The dentist and the orthodontist both said that her bite is fine. Her issues are strictly cosmetic. In fact, both the dentist and the ortho have said that her teeth are what most people end up with several years after the braces come off. If her bite was affected, she would definitely be in braces. If the cosmetic issue was with the top teeth, she would be in braces. She is my dd with major sensory issues. I will not make her do braces for minor crowding on the bottom that really isn't noticeable and isn't causing a problem with her bite. She was ready to fall over dead when the ortho was telling her about dietary restrictions (not eat carrots! not eat frozen peas! not eat celery!). I doubt that she'll ever do braces. She's only had two cavities in her life and that was at 5yo. For some reason, all three of my girls had cavities in the exact same place between molars on the bottom at 4-5yo.

I can't imagine spending $6500 for cosmetic reasons! I have 1 in braces and the other has a gosh bar in right now b/c her top molars need to be rotated 90 degrees since they grew in turned. There are bite issues with both of them and I can see that younger DD is already crowded:glare:

We are currently in the process of buying our orthodontist a new yacht. We have 2 Asian girls. For those that are unfamiliar with Asian mouths, they are SMALL. PERIOD. Both out girls had gorgeous baby teeth. And we were so hopeful! Then we discovered perfect baby teeth are NOT good. You WANT spaces between baby teeth, cuz the permanent teeth are SO much bigger. ARGHHHH dd9 has had 4 baby teeth extracted, has an expander and is getting braces in 3 weeks. That's her first set. Before the expander, her 2 top front teeth stuck out quite a bit. THey have come back enough that she can close her lips over them.

These braces will be on for about 12 mos. Then in a couple of years, when MOST kids get their braces, she'll get another set, to straighten the rest of the teeth out. (After more extractions of baby and permanent teeth)

DD6 had permanent teeth coming in behind her baby teeth. The baby teeth aren't budging.

I have one tooth that never came down, so the other teeth shifted over to fill the gap. My teeth are all off centre in consequence - no one has ever noticed and it has never got in my way.

If it really draws the eye, I think braces might well be worthwhile.

Laura

Three of my five girls have/had braces. One of the girls that had them and one of the girls that did not had exactly the same problem. They are both fine the way they are. One of the girls that got them didn't really need them. They were purely cosmetic. The final girl that got them really, really needed them. She had an underbite so bad that the top teeth dug into the gums behind the bottom teeth. The last girl's teeth are slightly crooked but perfectly functional. She could get them for cosmetic reason but doesn't really need them. After dealing with this with all five girls, I was told by both our dentist and orthodontist that braces are almost always cosmetic. Almost all mouths will function properly and last a life time if properly maintained without braces. That why previous to the last generation or two most people did not have braces. However, he also pointed out that most dentist will not tell you this. They will make it sound like your child absolutely needs braces. It is a sales job. That is how they make their money and parents are much more likely to pay for braces if they think they are needed as opposed to cosmetic.

Edited by KidsHappen

I had a major overjet as a child. My bottom front teeth were hitting the roof of my mouth and creating a ridge shaped depression that hurt. My top front teeth were angled almost straight forward so the roots were under the depression. If I had not had braces when I did I probably would have had a hole in the roof of my mouth and lost my front permanent teeth. I believe that my situation would be an exterme example of medically necessary orthodontia.

Thankfully my dd6 seems to have inherited her father's jaw. I don't know whether braces will be necessary for her or not yet because she does not have any permanent teeth in yet.

No, they're not just cosmetic. All of my kids have a weird tooth alignment (thanks to their dad) and need them badly.

I forgot where I read it, but overcrowding is not good. I can't remember who they figured it happened, but more primitive people had beautiful, wide palettes and straight teeth.

Dd does not want them. For her it would be strictly cosmetic. I'm keeping an eye on her eye teeth as they come in. There may be just a bit of crowding but it may rectify itself over time as she has a gap in her front teeth. My brother's teeth did the exact same thing. As he got older his gap closed and he has naturally straight teeth. Dh has good teeth too.

We dodged a bullet there. - genetics and all that. I've got an over crowded mouth and could have used braces. But I refused them. I've got an overwhelming fear of the dentist. As such I'm going to loose the last three molars on the top right within the year. I know logically I could have prevented it if I'd just gone to the dentist. I could never make myself make the call.

Braces can be simply cosmetic but many times they are not. I look at it like acne - sure, it's just a cosmetic problem but bad skin or crooked teeth can really impact one's self esteem.

Dd13 has braces and needed them to correct a crooked bite and very crowded teeth. Dd15, on the other hand, has only a slight overbite and her smile is very pretty. The orthodontist told us that her braces would be purely cosmetic, so we let her decide. She decided against them and that's fine with us. She has molars that haven't come in yet, so it could become a necessity later.

When you have a child who is purposely not smiling because their teeth embarrass them, it becomes a necessity, even if they can still chew and speak with their crooked teeth. We have a relative whose oldest two children have severely protruding front teeth and an excessive gum line which emphasizes the crooked teeth. She has the philosophy that her children are perfect just like they are and that the mere suggestion that they need any sort of repair is offensive. Meanwhile, in most of her kids' pictures they are smiling with a closed mouth and it's obvious that they are self-conscious about their teeth. :glare:

I wouldn't hesitate to fix crooked teeth anymore than I would hesitate to see a doctor about bald spots on my head.

DS1 has them. Is it 'cosmetic'? I don't think so. His teeth were so out of wack it is a mess in there. His front teeth were pushed out to the point where they would be almost horizontal. Not a good thing.

However, there are also class issues. We are middle class, we are expecting our kids to have white collar jobs. Both DH and I have sat in on enough hiring committees to know that things like teeth and hair and clothes are noticed by employers. Straight (more or less) teeth are a marker in this country of an upbringing that is at least middle class. When we see people who are in professional jobs with very crooked teeth many make a judgment on their education and upbringing. I am not talking teeth that are not photo-ready. I mean, teeth that make people say "wow, guess someone's parents couldn't afford braces." And yes, I have heard that said about a job candidate. Toss in a college degree from a state university instead of a known private one and things can get difficult on the job market. Not impossible, but difficult. I don't want my kids fighting upstream when it's not necessary. We can afford it..with some sacrifice.. so we will. I have friend's who can't. I know we are very lucky.

To have teeth that are, for the most part, straight and clean are a mark of good grooming in this country. When dh's brother went to the air force academy 30 years ago, dh noticed that many, many of the freshmen had braces (paid for by the gov't). His brother said that the military didn't want their officers to have unattractive teeth. It didn't suit their image for the professional officer class. So, the students show up and get told they are getting braces.

DS1 has them. Is it 'cosmetic'? I don't think so. His teeth were so out of wack it is a mess in there. His front teeth were pushed out to the point where they would be almost horizontal. Not a good thing.

However, there are also class issues. We are middle class, we are expecting our kids to have white collar jobs. Both DH and I have sat in on enough hiring committees to know that things like teeth and hair and clothes are noticed by employers. Straight (more or less) teeth are a marker in this country of an upbringing that is at least middle class. When we see people who are in professional jobs with very crooked teeth many make a judgment on their education and upbringing. I am not talking teeth that are not photo-ready. I mean, teeth that make people say "wow, guess someone's parents couldn't afford braces." And yes, I have heard that said about a job candidate. Toss in a college degree from a state university instead of a known private one and things can get difficult on the job market. Not impossible, but difficult. I don't want my kids fighting upstream when it's not necessary. We can afford it..with some sacrifice.. so we will. I have friend's who can't. I know we are very lucky.

To have teeth that are, for the most part, straight and clean are a mark of good grooming in this country. When dh's brother went to the air force academy 30 years ago, dh noticed that many, many of the freshmen had braces (paid for by the gov't). His brother said that the military didn't want their officers to have unattractive teeth. It didn't suit their image for the professional officer class. So, the students show up and get told they are getting braces.

Dh worked in the same industry as his two brothers. They had great, straight teeth, his were really bad. They both rose to mgmt. and he stayed in the shop. Not saying it was the only reason but it does affect how people perceive you and how you feel about yourself. We got braces for DH about 6 years ago and it greatly changed how he felt and looked.

I am not into Barbie straight teeth but will assess my kids smiles when all their permanent teeth are in and go from there. My oldest starts on Wednesday. Dh said they are all getting braces whether they need them or not. LOL He was really affected by his parent's decision not to give him braces. It was not a money issue and he is still bitter about it.

My dd had braces and it was not cosmetic although it did improve the look of her smile.

Her bottom teeth actually bit in to her top palette before her braces.

If my older son, on the other hand, were to wear braces it would be purely cosmetic. When I took him for a consult the ortho said that they were as close to perfect as they could get but that he could make them perfect if we wanted to. He recommended waiting until ds was an adult and if he wanted them perfect he could pay for them himself.:)

No not at all. Most corrections are legit corrections IMO. I had braces in order to bring down 2 teeth that were stuck in my jaw. To leave them alone would have created huge problems. Two of my children have had braces to correct narrow palates that were inhibiting proper eruption of their adult teeth.

I think they could be medically necessary. DH was told he needed them to save his teeth, that the dentist couldn't even clean his teeth properly because of how crooked they were. Unfortunately, we don't have the money.

DD lost two baby teeth a couple of years ago, and the adult teeth have never come in. They never will without braces because there is no gap at all between the teeth where they belong. Unfortunately, we don't have the money.

At this point, I've had to resign myself to the fact that my husband may loose his teeth later in life and my daughter may just be short a few teeth, and who knows what other problems she may have.

It would be nice if my husband could get that contract he's writing a proposal for; if he does, we may have the money to get DD's braces.

Does "cosmetic" always equal "not necessary" or "vain"?

I know each person has a different line there. I.E. I think braces or treatment for severe acne is "necessary" but not plastic surgery. Another person might feel differently. How do you decide where your line is?

For us, a huge factor in going to the ortho or not is cost. Our dental ins does not cover ortho at all. We will look into a supplemental dental plan or save up for it if one of our children need it in the future. But for now, we are not bringing our 8 yo DD to the ortho to which she was referred. We are taking a wait and see approach. She has the same problem I have and I never had it corrected and I've been fine. My teeth are not arrow straight, but are fine, imo.

I am of the opinion that braces are not necessary simply for non-perfect teeth. I don't think everyone has to walk around with perfect straight teeth anymore than everyone has to have perfect noses.

No on cosmetic...my oldest has a missing front tooth that needs to be pulled down, an impacted eye tooth that needs to be pulled down, another eye tooth that started in his upper gum line...I told the orthodontist that I just wanted him to be able to bite down on stuff - I really don't care how it looks with him. I just want him to eat!

DD was born with cleft lip/palate. She literally has a tooth on the roof of her mouth. Braces are not an optional thing in our home - they are necessary.

Needless to say, we will know our orthodontist well in our home:ack2:

Beth

:iagree:When you have a child who is purposely not smiling because their teeth embarrass them, it becomes a necessity, even if they can still chew and speak with their crooked teeth. We have a relative whose oldest two children have severely protruding front teeth and an excessive gum line which emphasizes the crooked teeth. She has the philosophy that her children are perfect just like they are and that the mere suggestion that they need any sort of repair is offensive. Meanwhile, in most of her kids' pictures they are smiling with a closed mouth and it's obvious that they are self-conscious about their teeth. :glare:

I so agree! And as for your relative-perfection is a perception. I can't imagine using that as logic if my children are embarrassed of the way they look. So sad:glare:

No braces are NOT only for cosmetics.

I had braces as a child... I didn't get the full care I needed but I sure wish I had!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My braces were for alignment/growth issues, not just for crooked teeth.

Because I didn't get the full treatment I needed as a child, I had to have surgery when I was 20 yrs old. I had braces put back on for a year before surgery and then about a year after surgery as it was very important for me to have teeth in proper position (I have to wear retainers at night for rest of my life or until I have no teeth). The surgery required involved my upper jaw getting broken in 4 places and lower jaw broken in 2 places. Then wired shut for 2 months. I have had surgery on my jaw joints twice because the damage was done from incomplete treatment as a child. I was in the Navy and thankfully they did the braces/surgery... otherwise it would have cost me about $75,000. Most private insurances would not have covered it even though it was severely impacting my health.

I still have issues with my jaw, thankfully it is tolerable and for most part I can keep it minimal just by being careful of what I chew. I also go to a chiropracter and massage therapist who work on my jaw/neck.

So far none of my kids got mine nor Dh's mouths-LOL Dh has horribly crooked teeth and major cavity issues. Mine were crooked and crowded, but my bite was severely over and open. I had a huge gap in front teeth with my jaw closed. My molars have no enamel on them and I had to have four of them capped when when I was about 25. I need the last molars done but we can't... my jaw won't open enough to get the work done.

So far only Ds#1 has been recommended for braces... but it is because he has a eye (or is it canine) tooth that has erupted way too high in his gum. It could cause issues with cutting his upper lip to shreds. But according to the dentist, it is not very needed. Ds said no way to braces so we are doing a wait and see approach. His bite and jaw are fine so I am not worried about him not getting braces.

Dd had two teeth come in at a 90 degree turn but they straightened out mostly. The dentist did not recommend her for braces.

Ds#2 and Ds#3 seem fine so far.

Edited by AnitaMcC