Menu

What do YOU do outside?

Am I the only person who feels trapped by her house because I just don't know what to do with myself outside?

Especially in cold weather.

I go for walks. In the nice weather it would be easy for me to do some gardening. I need some more ideas for things to....do....that require being outdoors and moving around.

Any ideas?

Not much when it's cold. I walk, take the dog out to the field (we live on 40 wooded acres of church land), and just "be" with dd.

I don't garden, but it would be fun to know how.

Sometimes in the spring, I lay in the hammock with dd or alone, and read. Sometimes we go into her tree house.

I do very occasionally go into the woods and look for tracks or plants or whatever, but it's really just a glorified walk.

Sometimes I pray when I walk.

I hike, take walks with the dog, and go sledding and snowboarding with the kids. How about ice skating? In summer, there's lots more to do: we play basketball, bike, kayak, hike, play badminton and tennis, and swim.

Edited by Mejane

Get in the car? :D

I'm guessing you wanted more than that. I'm trying to start a habit of taking a long (ie. 2-3 miles) walk with DS every morning but so far the cold, wet weather has been hampering our efforts.

The last time we went to the park, the kids and I threw an aerobie around. It was a lot of fun, though a bit more difficult for me than I wish it was because of weight and, um, er, hm...let's just say I try not to run and jump anymore.

I would love to do more playing with my kids and is one of the reasons I want to lose weight. Besides the aerobie, I just bought us a trac ball set. I want to get a Boochie game and a Spooner board.

I like to go ice skating. It's fun (when I stay on my feet) and inexpensive. I only do it in the winter; the year-round indoor places aren't as enjoyable for me. I would like to try skiing, but I don't have the money for it.

I hate being cold, so I don't go out as much as I should. Below zero temps definitely make me feel trapped!

I must be going nutsy coockoo with cabin fever because I actually go outdoors and make quacking noises at my ducks. They turn their little heads sideways and quack back which must be code for "Lady, you've got to be crazy!" However, it's very cute and very entertaining. Every once in a while I shush one of my favorites into his or her nesting house, reach inside, and pick it up. They get all flustered and quacky about it but then settle down and let me pet their soft heads and necks. It's very therpeutic and gives them something to discuss when I leave!

Faith

Well, personally, I think a nice cold drizzle or lightly falling snow is the perfect time to go for a long walk. But that's probably just me.

I know what mean though... I feel very trapped by my apartment sometimes (today is most definitely one of them, lol) - not necessarily because I don't know what to do outside, but because I don't have an outside space of my own to do anything in!

I wish as a family that we enjoyed winter sports, but we're more summer people. We do walk all year round. If we have snow I go out and help the girls build a snowman and play with them or go sledding. I make a point to get outside daily, even in winter, but usually it's just for a walk.

Got boots?

I like to jump in the puddles with my kids on our walks!

I play in the snow when we get some.

We live in a moderate climate so winters aren't usually severe. We go to our local nature center for their outdoor programs - nature walks, sky watches etc. Also we do a bit of gardening in our own yard and help a local historical site with some gardening there.

I must be going nutsy coockoo with cabin fever because I actually go outdoors and make quacking noises at my ducks. They turn their little heads sideways and quack back which must be code for "Lady, you've got to be crazy!" However, it's very cute and very entertaining. Every once in a while I shush one of my favorites into his or her nesting house, reach inside, and pick it up. They get all flustered and quacky about it but then settle down and let me pet their soft heads and necks. It's very therpeutic and gives them something to discuss when I leave!

Faith

:lol::lol::lol:

Am I the only person who feels trapped by her house because I just don't know what to do with myself outside?

Especially in cold weather.

I go for walks. In the nice weather it would be easy for me to do some gardening. I need some more ideas for things to....do....that require being outdoors and moving around.

Any ideas?

This is me. I don't know what to do outside... :bigear: Hope to get some ideas here.

I go as fast as my feet will take me to the gym (about two and a half blocks away).

Ok, the library is just down the street from the gym. I'm seeing more of the inside of that building too (usually, i put in my request on-line and run in just long enough to grab my stuff when it comes in).

Wish I could be more helpful. I mostly white-knuckle it until spring.;)

Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's cold for the first 15 min, then nice & toasty warm!

Snowshoe!

Ski!

Walk (OK, in goretex hiking boots in the snow) with friends. Toasty handwarmers in the pockets on really cold days.

I love snow! (It's in the teens to 20s mostly here lately. If it were sub 10, I'd skip the walking as it doesn't heat me up enough.)

I feel totally trapped. It seems like it's always raining or just about to rain, so I stay inside. I have to work up the energy to walk to the chicken coop twice a day (in rubber boots and warm coat). I definitely feel myself getting heavier and weaker from sitting on my rear all day.

I dream of living somewhere drier. I don't care if it snows, just PLEASE not so much rain!

I love to skate. We live on a small lake and it's usually frozen for a few months out of the year. I am actually not a big summer outdoors person, but I love being out in the winter. I love sledding, too. And just walking out in the cold, crisp air - especially if it's snowing.

I don't know where you are, but it's very difficult to do anything outside where I am. We have knee-high snow everywhere. When it's over 25 degrees, I try to walk outside a bit, but have to walk in the streets which are plowed and salted, and even then it is slippery and dangerous. I'm hoping we get a day in the 30's soon, so that the boys and I can go sledding. We have snowball fights a couple times a week, but the snow is too cold to pack right now, so we just throw handfuls of snow at each other. :lol:

You know- in California, South Dakota, and New Mexico we took great advantage of the winter weather and skiied!

Here, in FLorida, the cold is just - well -wasted. It is also humid, windy, and cold - so it really unpleasant.

When it is nice enough - we go sailing (you don't get wet on our boat unless it rains). The kids and DH still camp with the Scouts... that's about it :(

I hike, take walks with the dog, and go sledding and snowboarding with the kids. How about ice skating?

:iagree:

It is mostly in the teens and 20s here in the winter. I have acquired outdoor snow sports gear for myself and the kids over the years, either hand-me-downs, from the recycle center at the dump, at swaps, end-of-season clearance sales, or used from used-sporting-goods-stores or on craigslist.

I've been cross-country skiing for an hour each morning all by myself.

We sled and ice-skate each week with our homeschool PE group.

We also ski once per week with a homeschool ski group. The little kids get lessons and free-ski for $45/ea for the season, and the chaperone tickets are even cheaper. My older boys are skiing with the local high alpine race team this year, and a chaperone ticket on Sundays is only $7!. Their winter ski program is their Christmas present from my Mom.

Yesterday I strapped on some snowshoes and took the dog out for a long walk in the deep snow. He loved it - bounded around and made doggie-snow-angels!

When it warms up a bit and the snow is stickier, we build snowmen and snow-forts.

Walks, feed the birds, take the compost out, get wood and kindling in, garden, shovel snow, put down grit ont he drive, put down grit on the road...

Laura

:iagree:

Take walks, feed the birds and the deer, get wood and kindling, shovel snow, go sledding, empty the ash from the fireplace, carry the trash and recycling. Repeat week after week, and along the way you will watch the seasons slowly change, and the mud will appear where the snow used to be. Sledding is then eliminated. It might be fun to sled in the mud, but only when it's warm enough to be sprayed off by the hose outside and drip-dry in the sun.