Menu

Do you ever worry about how homeschooling will turn out in the end?

My husband and I were discussing our homeschool journey last night and I was a little surprised to hear that he is still (after 7 years of homeschooling) worried as to if we are actually choosing the right path (curriculum and method of teaching) for our kids and if in the end they will be more than able to be accepted into a major university (ex: University of Michigan or Notre Dame caliber). As I have faith that things will all work out in the end, it also makes me worry, especially when he is worried. I really do not have any homeschooling friends who have graduated students off to college to use as examples or mentors.

My husband thinks that it would be beneficial to find someone who has a homeschool student who is now at or graduated from a major university to be able to ask them what they did or what curriculum they used that lead to that success so we would know we are on the right track.

While I know all kids are different, I myself would feel more confident following in someones footsteps who did have success in their kids being accepted to major colleges.

Is there a college prep curriculum out there that will provide a solid path to a great education?

Any advise on this?

Thanks so much,

Angela

My best advice is to frequent the high school and college boards on this forum. Many students go on to do well and go to nice schools and most of us freely share our experiences (pros and cons). You can probably also search "college acceptance" on the college board and get a few threads to look at that show where homeschooled students have gone.

My husband and I were discussing our homeschool journey last night and I was a little surprised to hear that he is still (after 7 years of homeschooling) worried as to if we are actually choosing the right path (curriculum and method of teaching) for our kids and if in the end they will be more than able to be accepted into a major university (ex: University of Michigan or Notre Dame caliber). As I have faith that things will all work out in the end, it also makes me worry, especially when he is worried. I really do not have any homeschooling friends who have graduated students off to college to use as examples or mentors.

My husband thinks that it would be beneficial to find someone who has a homeschool student who is now at or graduated from a major university to be able to ask them what they did or what curriculum they used that lead to that success so we would know we are on the right track.

While I know all kids are different, I myself would feel more confident following in someones footsteps who did have success in their kids being accepted to major colleges.

Is there a college prep curriculum out there that will provide a solid path to a great education?

Any advise on this?

Thanks so much,

Angela

Yes, I worry all the time. But that doesn't stop me because the alternative doesn't appeal to me at all. I didn't use an official college prep curriculum but I have a child at a major college. In fact I didn't do a whole lot of teaching in the high school years, more like facilitating and empowering. :D We did cover all the major subjects that most colleges expect, but we used whatever material we were comfortable with.

Really the thing that mattered the most in the end was his ability to get A's at the local community college when he was still in high school.

Well we've graduated one who is now a junior in college. She's not a "major" university though, but a small Christian college. But she is doing very well :001_smile: Just this past fall she was inducted into a national honor society that requires the student be in the top 10% of their class. She transitioned to college very easily, has lots of wonderful friends (so much for the myth of socialization issues) and most importantly is THRILLED with her major and excited to pursue her chosen career!

You can call the admission offices of universities you think would be in the running and talk to them about the admission requirements for homeschoolers. Lots of times you can find recommended courses on their web sites. They would also probably be able to share stats with you about how many they have, what their average SAT/ACT was etc. I've found admission counselors are usually very helpful with potential students parents. They are planning ahead!

HTH,

Mary

This will depend on who you talk to. There simply isn't one great answer or you would see everyone of us on this board following the exact same plan using the exact same curriculum.

I've been homeschooling for 10 years and I still have worries like this. But when I compare what I've done to what public schools are doing, I realize that my way is just as good as theirs. Did you realize there isn't a national curriculum? But there are kids from every high school across our nation going to college, some more than others but I don't think that's all curriculum related.

Take a look at the admissions pages of some of the universities you are thinking about. Many colleges are now including specific details on how homeschoolers can be admitted. That might give you a direction to head in, at the very least.

You can also start reading books on homeschooling high schoolers. I got a few from the library just last week though DH doesn't want to alter our original plan of using an accredited correspondence program. But that's another story. :)

All the time!!!

We are hs-ing DS 13 all the way through, and I am so afraid I'll fail him.

I've been over to the high school and college boards, and it is helpful.

I do think a lot of my stress comes from feeling like it is all on me. I plan to have DS take courses at the community college as soon as he is able (I think 16?), which will help considerably!

As much as I worry - I think the alternative would be far worse for him.

This is why we are planning to use Trisms for high school. http://www.trisms.com/ It has great reviews and since it's research based, we feel that we can easily add our religious beliefs to it. We've just started using their middle school program and so far it's going well.

Good Luck!

Kim

I used to, in a way. But I don't anymore. After 6 years of homeschooling, my dd got into once of the best high schools around (in the top 150 in the country). I know it's not college, but it might as well be. So, now my homeschooling would really be put to the test and I panicked. I was happy she got in, but then what. How will she do?

I'm happy to say she's doing so well there. She's making As and Bs and really puts her heart into her work.

What would probably put you more at ease is that we were unschoolers. No curriculum, no requirements, no demands, no pressure. She basically did her own thing all day, every day. Then 1 year before high school, she asked to go over things she may need to know for freshman year. We spent a few months (that's right, only a few months, 1-2 hours/day, 2-3 times a week) reading and going over math.

I am completely convinced that homeschooling - no matter what method - is the answer for success.

From the University of Notre Dame Office of Undergraduate Admissions Admissions & Applications FAQ:

Does Notre Dame have special requirements for home schooled students?

Notre Dame welcomes applications from home schooled applicants. In a typical year, we will receive 40-50 applications from home schooled applicants. The admission rate for home schooled students is slightly higher than the overall admission rate of 28 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 30%.

In addition to our standard application requirements, we do require that home schooled applicants take three SAT II Subject exams in History, Foreign Language, and Science. Students may choose the exams they wish to take within these subject areas. If a home schooled student has an Advanced Placement exam in one of these subject areas, it can substitute for the SAT II exam. The SAT II exams are required regardless of whether a student is in an accredited home schooled program or taking college courses.

If you have any questions about applying as a home schooled student, feel free to call the Admissions Office at 574-631-7505.

I definitely would note for your dh that you are improving your child's chances to get into ND, based upon their current admissions standards...

This is why we are planning to use Trisms for high school. http://www.trisms.com/ It has great reviews and since it's research based, we feel that we can easily add our religious beliefs to it. We've just started using their middle school program and so far it's going well.

Good Luck!

Kim

We are also already using Trisms :) Used History Makers last year for DS's 6th grade. We are using Discovery of the Ancient World for 7th and 8th grade (spreading it out is working well). I don't know if I'll be able to count anything towards his HS credits from this year,,,, but next year he should be at a level I think will count.

I used to worry until my daughter started taking college classes and acing them. Now, as an honors student, she is receiving offers from schools like Cornell. If you can prove good grades through SAT scores, college grades, etc., your kids should have no trouble getting into a "good" college. .

I'm not a homeschooling mom, but I am a former homeschooled student. I was homeschooled for eleven years using various and sundry different programs -- I'm the oldest in my family, so I was kind of a guinea pig. :tongue_smilie: I then went to public high school for 10th-12th grade and graduated in the top 3% of my class. I just graduated cum laude from the University of Dallas (an excellent, but not always well-known, college) with a BA in history. In other words, I am one answer to how homeschooling will turn out in the end.

Homeschooling is the reason I did so well in high school and in college. It's the reason I chose the college I did! I honestly can't remember any particular homeschool curriculum that made a big impression on me. What made an impression on me was being at home, not having to spend hours on school every day, playing with my siblings, and reading voraciously all the time. I learned that learning was fun and exciting. When I did find myself in more formal classroom settings, I discovered I actually had some self-motivation after all. I freaked out about being able to get schoolwork done and pass classes, but deep down I knew I would be able to do what I had to do. That confidence in myself has grown. The basis for it lies in homeschooling.

So there's my short answer to "why homeschooling is the best thing that ever happened to me." :D

As for college admissions, I was actually a public school student by that point. But I know that some colleges are quite homeschool-friendly, and I think most are set up to cope with it at the very least. My particular college has an extraordinarily low percentage of public schooled students -- most students go to private school or are homeschooled through graduation. Even the ones that go to a "formal" school later may have been homeschooled at some point, like I was. UD is far from the only school which is so friendly towards homeschoolers.

HTH. :grouphug:

From the University of Notre Dame Office of Undergraduate Admissions Admissions & Applications FAQ:

Notre Dame welcomes applications from home schooled applicants. In a typical year, we will receive 40-50 applications from home schooled applicants. The admission rate for home schooled students is slightly higher than the overall admission rate of 28 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 30%...

I definitely would note for your dh that you are improving your child's chances to get into ND, based upon their current admissions standards...

Thanks for digging this up. It is reassuring.

My oldest is only 3rd grade, so I have a while before I need to worry about college. :lol: I did want to add that a friend of ours hs'd her oldest all the way through with Sonlight. He is a sophomore at Westpoint and apparently is doing very well.

The Naval Academy accepts applications from hs'd kids who have completed an accredited course.

Yes, of course I've worried about whether or not this is the best path and wonder when we look back if they'll be regrets. Hindsight is a beautiful thing, but unfortunately I won't know until we get to the end of it all. My kids really do have say-so in the direction we take each year though, so at least I feel good that they're part of this decision willingly. Plus, they're playing outside in the snow & will return to their schoolwork with a cup of hot chocolate. How cool is that?:D

Susan

There is no reason why homeschooling all the way through high school should hinder your kids from getting into a top university. Of course, there is a lot of work between points A and B, but the path to good colleges has been paved. I would suggest looking over some threads on the College Board about current 2011 acceptances and all of the past acceptance thread (which should be a permanent sticky!).

Lisa

I may be in the minority, but no, I don't worry whether we have made the right choice. I see far too much "proof" in my kids to question what we are doing. I don't worry about college admission either. Colleges are only going to become mire accepting of homeschoolers as our numbers grow:)

I don't worry at all. I see how my kids are not just learning but are learning how to learn. I see that they regard education as a part of life and not just something they have to do while they are stuck at school. I see how their horizons are much broader than the those of most of the schooled kids of their ages that we know.

I see how my 16 year old, who is in school, regards schoolwork as something she has to do so she doesn't get in trouble. I see what they do in school, and I see that I can cover that material and more at home. I see that I can give my kids more opportunities to learn than sitting in a classroom for every subject affords.

I don't care whether my kids get into prestigious universities. I went to a state school and got the degree I wanted. I used the degree for several years, switched to a completely non-degree-related job for several years, and then quit working to stay home with my kids. To me, education/homeschooling is not about preparing my kids for college. It's about how we want to live our lives and how we want to equip our kids for theirs.

Have you heard of a book called The Well-Trained Mind? :D

Tara

In addition to what has been said, I would also say, you don't have to wait to do testing to give yourself a realistic picture of where your child falls in comparison to other students. The Iowa Test of Basic Skills is a test used by many college prep private schools. There are definitely others that know more about testing, but I believe when reporting scores they give you a comparison with your student and other private school students taking the test, not just an across the board public school comparison.

Yes I am worried at times as well! I am doing most of the homeschooling myself right now, but I feel that this is the best choice for me. I don't like the ps system and the way the teachers and students are. So although I am worried about educating myself, I know that I will be able to get into a good college if I really challenge myself.

There are so many threads on college acceptances that will really help you through this. And you really don't have to send your child to one of the top university's. My best friend just graduated from Harvard and can't find a single job, so a degree really doesn't mean much right now anyways. Hopefully in the future it will pick up though. :001_smile:

Well, today has given me a boost--my 10yo just read a Socratic dialogue with me and understood it about as well as you could expect, and then she diagrammed two quite difficult sentences. My 7yo spent the morning looking at a biography of Alexander the Great, who she likes because of his horse. She is having a great time this week reading about Diogenes and Cincinnatus too.

I guess I'm not totally failing.

No. My oldest two didn't want to go to college but have lucrative jobs. The middle two are in college. I had no doubt that they could do it. I did and I dropped out of school as I thought is was a waste of time and yet I sitll manage to get a degree from a good school My younest two are in PS and I worry about them much more.

While i don't care a bit whether it's the road to Harvard or not, not long ago, I quite enjoyed listening to my oldest and youngest talk about Lenin. My little one knew about the Romanov family, and she could place the era & unrest enough to participate in the discussion and ask thoughtful questions. It was more than a date for her. She can discuss ideas. That's education.

Well, today has given me a boost--my 10yo just read a Socratic dialogue with me and understood it about as well as you could expect, and then she diagrammed two quite difficult sentences. My 7yo spent the morning looking at a biography of Alexander the Great, who she likes because of his horse. She is having a great time this week reading about Diogenes and Cincinnatus too.

I guess I'm not totally failing.

Edited by LibraryLover

Let not your heart be troubled. Really!

We homeschooled for seven years before graduating our first and sending her to a well-regarded public school, where she received a partial merit scholarship based mostly on her SAT scores. She has done beautifully and will begin her fourth semester tomorrow.

Our second daughter will graduate this spring. She has been accepted into the selective Honor's College at another well-regarded public university, also with an extremely nice merit scholarship. She has already taken one class at three different colleges and received 2 A's and 1 B in them. She has also received a "5" on two Advanced Placement exams. I have every confidence that she is well prepared for university work.

I agree that there is no one magic path to academic success in homeschooling. I think the things that worked for *us* and played a part in preparing our daughters well have been:

• Outsourcing certain classes once they got into high school - especially writing and AP classes. We have used the Potter's School and Pennsylvania Homeschoolers and been pleased overall with them.
  • Taking the SAT very, very seriously. In most cases, most universities will regard this as a key - if not the key - component to a college admission packet. We can argue about whether or not this is right, but in my opinion this is just the reality, especially for homeschooled applicants. (I know exceptions exist, especially for non-academic/non-traditional majors such as art or music.) We prepared for the SAT by taking many practice tests, taking the PSAT as practice, watching the ChalkDust SAT review DVDs, and even using a SAT tutor for several weeks.
  • Making sure the girls were involved in a wide variety of activities to show they were "well rounded" and to put to rest that pesky socialization issue. We did not do too many activities at any one time, but over time they added up to a nice balanced list. Speech and debate, while time consuming and demanding, ended up being a very valuable activity for my girls that paid huge dividends.

More than anything, I think we went into homeschooling with the attitude of taking our academics very seriously. We were never obsessed with them - and my girls had a healthy and well-balanced life - but we did take academics seriously and never took the attitude that colleges were going to roll out the red carpet for them just because they were homeschooled. (I have heard some homeschool families express this sad idea over the years and usually follow it with the opinion that anything they do as homeschoolers will be academically superior to what any public school would be doing. I believe they are sadly mistaken and will probably be in for a big surprise several years down the road.)

There's my two cents. I did used to worry about my girls going to college, but those fears have pretty much evaporated. I have two more little ones coming up, and I have confidence that if we "just keep swimming" and continue to take academics seriously, they will, God willing, be just fine. :)

This is actually quite surprising. ND required not only academic excellent, but also want well around kids, showing extracurricular activities.. all that. Not saying home school kids not well around, it just harder to show the leadership... those qualities. That will be my main concern. (I know because I went there :))

Notre Dame welcomes applications from home schooled applicants. In a typical year, we will receive 40-50 applications from home schooled applicants. The admission rate for home schooled students is slightly higher than the overall admission rate of 28 Ă¢â‚¬â€œ 30%.

In addition to our standard application requirements, we do require that home schooled applicants take three SAT II Subject exams in History, Foreign Language, and Science. Students may choose the exams they wish to take within these subject areas. If a home schooled student has an Advanced Placement exam in one of these subject areas, it can substitute for the SAT II exam. The SAT II exams are required regardless of whether a student is in an accredited home schooled program or taking college courses.

If you have any questions about applying as a home schooled student, feel free to call the Admissions Office at 574-631-7505.

I know homeschooled kids who have gone to all kinds of top notch universities, including one in our neighborhood who is now at Notre Dame. They don't all use the same curriculum. I recommend periodic testing through so that you know how they are tracking and to give them practice in taking fill-in-the-bubble tests. Additionally, you want to plan to have them take SAT subject tests or AP tests or community college or university courses prior to applying to college.

This is actually quite surprising. ND required not only academic excellent, but also want well around kids, showing extracurricular activities.. all that. Not saying home school kids not well around, it just harder to show the leadership... those qualities. That will be my main concern. (I know because I went there :))

In addition to our standard application requirements...

Just wanted to point out that it says, In addition to... All of the qualities that they want in a traditionally schooled student are also wanted in a hsed student. Leadership can be shown through scouting, volunteering, sports teams, debate, music, and all of the other extra curricular activities which are all available to hsers.

Any advise on this?

Thanks so much,

Angela

Yes, I still worry. But that's what makes me work harder and do more research. Even after graduating one who is fully scholarshipped (did I just coin a word - spell check doesn't like it), I still find myself looking for ways to tweak our homeschool.

The best advice I have is to spend some time on the high school board. There is a "brag" thread listing how homeschooled students are performing at college, there is a "college acceptance" thread listing the colleges where our students have been applying and have been accepted, there are LOTS of threads about how to do the high school years, how to tailor those years to your specific student, and how to navigate the college application process. I have found that forum to be invaluable.

Let not your heart be troubled. Really!

We homeschooled for seven years before graduating our first and sending her to a well-regarded public school, where she received a partial merit scholarship based mostly on her SAT scores. She has done beautifully and will begin her fourth semester tomorrow.

Our second daughter will graduate this spring. She has been accepted into the selective Honor's College at another well-regarded public university, also with an extremely nice merit scholarship. She has already taken one class at three different colleges and received 2 A's and 1 B in them. She has also received a "5" on two Advanced Placement exams. I have every confidence that she is well prepared for university work.

I agree that there is no one magic path to academic success in homeschooling. I think the things that worked for *us* and played a part in preparing our daughters well have been:

• Outsourcing certain classes once they got into high school - especially writing and AP classes. We have used the Potter's School and Pennsylvania Homeschoolers and been pleased overall with them.

• Taking the SAT very, very seriously. In most cases, most universities will regard this as a key - if not the key - component to a college admission packet. We can argue about whether or not this is right, but in my opinion this is just the reality, especially for homeschooled applicants. (I know exceptions exist, especially for non-academic/non-traditional majors such as art or music.) We prepared for the SAT by taking many practice tests, taking the PSAT as practice, watching the ChalkDust SAT review DVDs, and even using a SAT tutor for several weeks.

• Making sure the girls were involved in a wide variety of activities to show they were "well rounded" and to put to rest that pesky socialization issue. We did not do too many activities at any one time, but over time they added up to a nice balanced list. Speech and debate, while time consuming and demanding, ended up being a very valuable activity for my girls that paid huge dividends.

More than anything, I think we went into homeschooling with the attitude of taking our academics very seriously. We were never obsessed with them - and my girls had a healthy and well-balanced life - but we did take academics seriously and never took the attitude that colleges were going to roll out the red carpet for them just because they were homeschooled. (I have heard some homeschool families express this sad idea over the years and usually follow it with the opinion that anything they do as homeschoolers will be academically superior to what any public school would be doing. I believe they are sadly mistaken and will probably be in for a big surprise several years down the road.)

There's my two cents. I did used to worry about my girls going to college, but those fears have pretty much evaporated. I have two more little ones coming up, and I have confidence that if we "just keep swimming" and continue to take academics seriously, they will, God willing, be just fine. :)

Nice post, Lynn and a good summary of important points. :001_smile:

Lisa

I did worry- I think its natural to doubt ourselves when the whole society is against self empowerment- but there are so many precedents.

My dd16 has got into college no problem. There are so many pathways.

What's the worst that can happen? They might have a big gap somewhere- but they are still broadly educated, so they can learn to fill in that gap themselves or with a course.

They dont get into the college they want- well, whats the difference between that and being at school? Not everyone is going to get into the top colleges.

They can't get into college at all...unlikely, but aren't there alternative pathways there too? Community college?

I thank all who have replied with all their words of advise and wisdom!

I think I have realized that what might be missing the most for me is having a solid "roadmap" that would give me a good direction to follow as well as keep me on track when I get these worries. The problem is that I have not found that ideal roadmap. I have read WTM and while there is a lot of good information, it is just not totally hitting home for me for being the exact plan to follow.

I could sit down and make my own plan but then that goes back to the confidence issue of not really knowing if what I plan is really the best way to go for a college bound student.

My daughter is in jr. high so we definitely still have some time to go.

I am just getting tired of going though these times of questioning myself, questioning our curriculum choices, subjects being learned, etc. I just wonder if I actually had a solid plan to follow, if all the questioning and wondering would mellow out and help me to keep on track.

I think it's normal to worry sometimes. But I try not to.

I've read lots of positive articles, books and so on about how homeschooling has turned out in the end for different people- and lots of positive posts about it, too!

I've seen the dismal results of how PUBLIC SCHOOL turns out in the end and I assure myself that homeschooling cannot POSSIBLY be worse!

I get good feedback as I go from fellow homeschoolers, from our evaluator each year, etc.

And it FEELS right to be doing this. We're enjoying it and each other, having fun, learning lots together...

...so overall I'd say I'm pretty confident.

Might that change as we approach high school years? I don't know! I'm sure it's normal to be more nervous about being ABLE to teach high school but I'm just taking each step as we come to it and right now I'm happy and comfortable with the steps we are taking.

No advice...because my kiddos are still young. But, I wanted to tell you that my counsin and his wife homeschooled their children...even when thy were missionaries in Napal. Their two daughters graduated as RNs and their son went to Annapolis...and, is now a flight instructor for the Navy.

Smiles!

~Holly

I did worry with DD. We did make sure she was involved in activities that would show she had the qualities that colleges would be interested in...she went to space camp and won the Right Stuff Award. When my sister was a special ed teacher for children on a reservation, we sent her to spend one month with her aunt as a teacher's aide and since the school had no librarian and their small library was in disarray, she spent hours after school and on Saturdays rearranging and organizing shelves, computerizing the card catalog system, and creating library experiences for the kids; Dramatized story time, The Poet's Society (she taught them how to create silly four line limericks and alliteration), Silly Sentence Day, etc. She received a letter of recommendation and thanks from the principal when she left and we practically preserved it in gold.

She also volunteered to paint classrooms and do other repair jobs, plus help build a small play structure, at a very underprivileged school on the Tex-Mex border (this was several years ago before the drug wars got this bad - ds will not be allowed to volunteer in that neighborhood). She went with a group of teens headed by some very responsible adults and she had letters of recommendation from the principal and the Reading Specialist.

So, we carved out and searched for unique opportunities for her and dh and I then quaked in our boots through the whole college application process. Well, if anyone has followed some of my dd brags on this board or posts to the high school/college boards, then you know she is doing wonderfully!

We have plans for the boys as well. But, now that we've btdt and we found it easier than expected, not harder, and we see the fruits of our labor and hers in her life, I can honestly say we are not sweating it as we did with dd.

Anyone looking for ways to get their children some neat experiences, recognition, and possible awards or leadership opportunities may want to check out 4-H. Dh is going to Washington, D.C. next year as a representative for our county. It's a huge honor and a highly respected one especially by the state land grant schools, i.e. Ag schools.

Faith

The path can look different for each child, depending on what outcome you want. Our oldest dd (now in college) is majoring in elementary education. We went with a solid college prep curriculum with her, outsourcing hs classes at local classes and on-line classes. 4 credits English/Lit, 4 credits math, 5 credits history/social science, 4 credits lab science, 2 credits foreigh language (light there), plus electives. Her younger sister's path started out looking the same, but she is an artist and dancer and so the path is starting to diverge. We are tailoring her junior and senior years to allow her to dance and pursue art as much as possible AND have the classes she needs to get into the university she is looking at. Even though she is only a sophmore, we are visiting the school in February so we can make informed decisions for the rest of her hs years.

I have discovered that there can be as many different paths as there are kids! You really need to evaluate what your end goal is for each child and work back from there.

Mary

Edited by Mary in VA