Menu

s/o we all have to die... food is the new religion

In another thread, WendyK made this statement:

Food is the new religion. I swear. I don't even go there with people anymore.

I am interested in exploring this further.

Do you agree with this statement?

If so, what do you think that the contributing factors are to this belief?

I have some ideas, but want to read what others post first.

In some ways, yes it is a new religion. People have all sorts of different labels (vegan, paleo, locovore, etc.) and many will evangelize to you about how eating this way or that way will save you from aging...prematurely. Plus, there is the cult of personality surrounding celebrity chefs and their books.

Why is it happening? Hmmm, tougher question. Maybe people feel out of control in so many aspects of their lives that this is one place that they can feel completely in control. Maybe it's the inevitable effect of the 24 hour news channels that must say something to interest viewers so they report on every minute study.

I don't know, but I am suddenly reminded of a line I read as a teen. A teen who had come through a terrible war (I think this was WWII, eastern Europe) was asked how religion had helped her. Her translated reply was "God appeared before me only in the form of bread."

I thank you most humbly for that Proustian memory. I just love having them.

and now back to your regular program.....

Edited by kalanamak

I agree with Wendy's comment.

As a person who eats and serves her family a relatively healthy diet, I don't want to discuss food with either the bark eaters or the eat-today-for-I-die-tomorrow crowds.

The first group makes me feel as if I'm relegating my family to slow painful deaths if we don't eat organic, vegan, and something-or-another free. To them everything is poison. My SIL firmly belongs in this camp. She makes family gatherings uncomfortable. The second group wants me to eat as they do so they don't feel guilty about what they're consuming. Obesity? Diabetes? Phisshaw. Don't worry be happy. I eat and with only my family a lot. To bad really. Food used to be something that brought people together, now it pulls them apart. Why can't people just be sensible without going to extremes?

:001_smile:

In some ways, yes it is a new religion. People have all sorts of different labels (vegan, paleo, locovore, etc.) and many will evangelize to you about how eating this way or that way will save you from aging...prematurely. Plus, there is the cult of personality surrounding celebrity chefs and their books.

Why is it happening? Hmmm, tougher question. Maybe people feel out of control in so many aspects of their lives that this is one place that they can feel completely in control. Maybe it's the inevitable effect of the 24 hour news channels that must say something to interest viewers so they report on every minute study.

I think too it relates to attitudes about aging. Folks just want to remain young as long as possible. They're uncomfortable with aging and death.

I agree that food is idolized and evangelized in this country. I think it's in part due to our general excess.

I do have family members that talk endlessly about food. And they fall into the...unhealthy side effects category. But there's a lot of denial. Anyone in their dining company (and there is ALWAYS food) is made to feel odd when looking for healthy alternatives. Yes, these folks worship food.

I also know several "foodies," those who spend extravagant dollars trying new culinary feats. Food worship here, too. Though it seems a waste of money to me, it's fine with me if that's how they choose to spend it. I just don't like it when they look down their noses at me for buying store brand cheddar blocks.

I just hope I can give my kids a good balance of nutrition and comfort. They seem a bit spoiled - two of the four, anyway - but I hope they'll come around when they become responsible for feeding themselves and their own families.

I think that we've become so prosperous here in the US that many can afford to eat out - somewhere - at least a few times a year. I think that we glorify food; serve portions that are way out of control; and in general engage in gluttony on a regular basis when dining out.....

For those involved in the "green" movement, or for those who are trying to eat more locally and healthily, I think food can become an obsession, too. I just read recently about a new disorder, called orthorexia, that can start out with refusing to eat anything not "healthy" and can lead to anorexia over time.....

My interest in healthy food and food preparation is largely based on trying to avoid recurrence of a certain illness. I do wish I had known some of these things years ago when my ds was little, especially all the fruits laden with pesticide.

Yes, we will all die. But we can at least try to make the road there as healthy as possible.

I believe in eating a healthy and balanced diet. I get beyond annoyed and frustrated when no matter *what* food item I am making, someone has something to say. "Grains are terrible. Ever since we gave up grains, our lives have improved dramatically!" "Dairy will kill you! I don't understand why anyone consumes it all!" "Meat is just so bad for us. People should go to a totally plant - based diet." I've been told with great insistence that drinking cold beverages is so bad and one should *only* drink beverages at room temperature. I've been told with great vehemence that cooking food ruins any nutritional value and all foods should only be eaten raw. Ugh!

Why not just try to make sense? Don't eat too much. Eat real food, not processed food. Eat a variety of foods, including fruits, veggies, protein, etc.

Fast food isn't good for you. Junk food isn't good for you. (Even if it is organic! ;) ) Eating too much isn't good for you.

Beyond that, sheesh! Leave off already! :tongue_smilie:

In a way, people are looking for the truth. The western diet and/or lifestyle makes people sick- most of the things that kill us - heart disease, diabetes, cancer- can be tracked to diet and lifestyle. So its no wonder that people are looking for an answer. The problem is, too many people have answers but they also have vested interests. People who make processed and packaged food dont want you to know that eating fresh fruit and vegetables and whole grains for the bulk of your diet is what will make you healthy- not the added vitamin or mineral they put back in after stripping everything else out of their packaged food. And people writing diet books also dont want you to know the truth is very easy and simple and you don't have to cut out major food groups.

I highly recommend Michael Pollan's new book called Food Rules: An Eater's Manual. ($5 on kindle- an easy read) It addresses this issue very well and very simply- and simplicity is what people need, not more complex science. As he says, you dont need to know what an anti oxidant is to eat well. We now think of food as made up of all these chemicals- vitamins, minerals, good and bad fats, carbs etc- instead of as FOOD. As he says, the science of nutrition is really only in its infancy...but our ancestors didn't have all these diseases of affluence that we have- nor do other countries.

He also mentions in there the No S diet which is a way of eating that cultures such as the French, who live longer and healthier than us, naturally use- that we need to go back to. (nosdiet.com)

...or being insufficiently "green."

"God is dead," so the only ones left to be worshipped are ourselves. Good and bad is defined only by our capricious opinions, or more often, the changing opinions of our celebrity elites.

If there's no hereafter, then all you have is this life, and it's natural to want to extend it as long as possible. "Sin" is therefore defined as anything that shortens the life span of either yourself or the planet.

I hope this sounds coherent. Must stop posting late at night...

Truthfully, the only people I know that seem to have food as a religion and "preach" not eating this or that, or only eating this or that, are on here. IRL no one I know is that way. Sure, some people have their "diets," (Atkins or South Beach seem to be the most popular) but they don't "preach" it. And when it comes time to holidays such as Thanksgiving or Christmas, or even group/family get togethers, they don't mind giving up their diet to be polite.

I really like where I live and my circle of friends!:D

I'm not a "believer" in food as a religion. I like having food bring people together. Besides, I think the lack of true exercise in many people's lives does more to kill them early than any food choice.

Talking endlessly about what one has eaten, what one will eat, what one would eat, what one most certainly would not eat, and how one's eating affects one's body odor is painful and tiresome for the listener. It ranks second in between.

MOST BORING THINGS TO LISTEN TO

#1 Hearing about someone's dream last night

#2 Hearing about the rarefied contents of your soup bowl

#3 Drum solos

Edited by mirth

"God is dead," so the only ones left to be worshipped are ourselves. Good and bad is defined only by our capricious opinions, or more often, the changing opinions of our celebrity elites.

If there's no hereafter, then all you have is this life, and it's natural to want to extend it as long as possible. "Sin" is therefore defined as anything that shortens the life span of either yourself or the planet.

I agree with this. I definitely think that environmentalism in particular is a religion for many people, and often the food issue as well.

Another reason I see it that way, besides what FOS said above, is that there are no sure answers about the benefits/dangers of most foods, and the experts change their opinion on these things every few years (and often put out products and books to make a good buck while they're at it). So it does take a certain faith to believe in them, that if you eat things things and avoid those, you will live longer, be healthier, etc.-- when really, that may not be the case at all.

I guess that's why, when it comes to many "healthy food" issues, I am agnostic. I think you really can't know, because the evidence doesn't exist, and you have to take the word of experts who have been wrong so many times before. To me, it seems gullible when people are chasing this particular oil, then this particular vegetable, now avoiding this food, then that, when really, no one knows the truth about it all.

I'm sure the fact that I believe that God has both the earth and my life in His hand makes me less concerned with looking to the experts, than those who think the earth and their lives are going to be determined solely by the acts of people.

Wow, I had no idea food was a religion. I eat as a healthy a diet as possible because I feel better when I eat the right foods. I would never pontificate to someone else about what was wrong with their food choice. That is rude.

I think the religion needs a name. Do I practice foodiasm? or perhaps it is foodhuism? So many choices.

I read her comment as food being a taboo subject to discuss with others, much like religion was years ago. I didn't read it as food is like religion, but maybe I have not seen the food light...

Behold and there was a light, a light shining in the night, the door was opened and beckoned to me. It was the light from the back of the fridge.

Verily I said unto me, All is silent in the house, I can gaze upon your full bounty, and I have a hunger. I long to taste of your richness.

Lo, that Mrs. Smiths Apple Pie does call. Yea, though I have thrown the box away, the carb count doth remain on the tip of my tongue. There is a yearning in my stomach for that Mrs. Smith's pie, yea I turn away and call that thing evil, which is evil. For that Mrs. Smith's pie is full of shame and guilt and I will not partake of thy deeds.

Wisdom, and a celery stick, save me. It calls forth from the top shelf. Celery, obscured by that evil pie, shines forth as the light reflects from it.

I bow my head in solemnity. I yearn to be as wisdom, that celery stick, long and lean. I do not desire to be full and round as the evil pie. I silently recite the nutritional quality of foods not tainted by unnatural means. I throw off my desire for preservatives and high fructose corn syrup. I conquer my temptation as I must extend my hand past the evilness of the pie to reach that celery stick of wisdom.

My hand, in a moment of wickedness, attempts to reach for the pie, attempts to tear at the garments of Cling Wrap and taste of the evil. My heart doth stop, my head doth scream. My knees do quake and my feet remind me of the torment of running, running to ward off the effects of that evil pie.

I break free and grasp the sword of celery, the goodness of thy wisdom. I shout Hallelujah! and the sleeping dog in the corner doth applaud my victory with his bark.

Once again, thy hast overcome temptation and found victory in the night time glow of the refrigerator light.

Selah.

I read her comment as food being a taboo subject to discuss with others, much like religion was years ago. I didn't read it as food is like religion, but maybe I have not seen the food light...

Behold and there was a light, a light shining in the night, the door was opened and beckoned to me. It was the light from the back of the fridge.

Verily I said unto me, All is silent in the house, I can gaze upon your full bounty, and I have a hunger. I long to taste of your richness.

Lo, that Mrs. Smiths Apple Pie does call. Yea, though I have thrown the box away, the carb count doth remain on the tip of my tongue. There is a yearning in my stomach for that Mrs. Smith's pie, yea I turn away and call that thing evil, which is evil. For that Mrs. Smith's pie is full of shame and guilt and I will not partake of thy deeds.

Wisdom, and a celery stick, save me. It calls forth from the top shelf. Celery, obscured by that evil pie, shines forth as the light reflects from it.

I bow my head in solemnity. I yearn to be as wisdom, that celery stick, long and lean. I do not desire to be full and round as the evil pie. I silently recite the nutritional quality of foods not tainted by unnatural means. I throw off my desire for preservatives and high fructose corn syrup. I conquer my temptation as I must extend my hand past the evilness of the pie to reach that celery stick of wisdom.

My hand, in a moment of wickedness, attempts to reach for the pie, attempts to tear at the garments of Cling Wrap and taste of the evil. My heart doth stop, my head doth scream. My knees do quake and my feet remind me of the torment of running, running to ward off the effects of that evil pie.

I break free and grasp the sword of celery, the goodness of thy wisdom. I shout Hallelujah! and the sleeping dog in the corner doth applaud my victory with his bark.

Once again, thy hast overcome temptation and found victory in the night time glow of the refrigerator light.

Selah.

:hurray::hurray::hurray::hurray:

Well, in the sense that food habits are things that people feel called upon to evangelize, yes, I think food is A new religion.

I've seen others as well: politics, environmentalism, Dave Ramsey-ism, homebirthing, homeschooling, breastfeeding, praying in schools, "family values," etc., etc.

In some of these movements more than others, there is also a feeling that acting in a certain way will save the world, so they resemble a religion in that way as well.

I live in an area with a strong locavore movement. I also live in an area with low religious observance. However, I do know people who are locavores and also attend church, so the two aren't mutually exclusive. ;)

You are hilarious!!!

But I can see in now.... great schisms between the conservative foodies, the liberal foodists, and those stuck in moderation....

t

Selah.

I have this quote on my FB page:

"There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Dawn

I don't know, but I am suddenly reminded of a line I read as a teen. A teen who had come through a terrible war (I think this was WWII, eastern Europe) was asked how religion had helped her. Her translated reply was "God appeared before me only in the form of bread."

I thank you most humbly for that Proustian memory. I just love having them.

and now back to your regular program.....

Spot on.

Truthfully, the only people I know that seem to have food as a religion and "preach" not eating this or that, or only eating this or that, are on here. IRL no one I know is that way. Sure, some people have their "diets," (Atkins or South Beach seem to be the most popular) but they don't "preach" it. And when it comes time to holidays such as Thanksgiving or Christmas, or even group/family get togethers, they don't mind giving up their diet to be polite.

I really like where I live and my circle of friends!:D

I'm not a "believer" in food as a religion. I like having food bring people together. Besides, I think the lack of true exercise in many people's lives does more to kill them early than any food choice.

I am a vegan . Last night I served up beef, pork and chicken kebobs to a small gathering of dear friends last night. It was a "welcome home" dinner of sorts for one of our friends who has been on travel. While I don't consider food as a "religion", I do agree that food brings us together. Plus, I enjoy cooking for the carnivores in my life now and then (beef and veggies are so pretty together!).

I don't preach to them about their food choices, what they spend their money on, or their religious preference and they don't preach to me about theirs. I think that's why we're friends in the first place.

Talking endlessly about what one has eaten, what one will eat, what one would eat, what one most certainly would not eat, and how one's eating affects one's body odor is painful and tiresome for the listener. It ranks second in between.

MOST BORING THINGS TO LISTEN TO

#1 Hearing about someone's dream last night

#2 Hearing about the rarefied contents of your soup bowl

#3 Drum solos

:iagree::iagree:

Thank you. Frankly this is one reason I prefer the company of men to women; when did our fair sex turn into bores who can only discuss health and food, in mind-numbing, self-absorbed detail?

pretend rep points to you. :001_smile:

I guess that's why, when it comes to many "healthy food" issues, I am agnostic. I think you really can't know, because the evidence doesn't exist, and you have to take the word of experts who have been wrong so many times before. To me, it seems gullible when people are chasing this particular oil, then this particular vegetable, now avoiding this food, then that, when really, no one knows the truth about it all.

That's why I love Michael Pollan and his catchphrase, "Eat food, mostly plants, not too much," because there is a convergence of evidence that a diet rich in fruits, vegetables and whole grains, avoiding refined and "fake" foods, and keep portion sizes reasonable is healthier. I'm not rigid about it, though, because I think food also serves an important social function.

Also, I think many talk and write like their diets will save them from all health ills, while they truly just lower the risk of them. Even those who eat "perfect" diets may still die of cancer or heart disease.

I am guilty of a few of those! ;)

Dawn

Well, in the sense that food habits are things that people feel called upon to evangelize, yes, I think food is A new religion.

I've seen others as well: politics, environmentalism, Dave Ramsey-ism, homebirthing, homeschooling, breastfeeding, praying in schools, "family values," etc., etc.

In some of these movements more than others, there is also a feeling that acting in a certain way will save the world, so they resemble a religion in that way as well.

I live in an area with a strong locavore movement. I also live in an area with low religious observance. However, I do know people who are locavores and also attend church, so the two aren't mutually exclusive. ;)

I think it represents control. Especially in America where people are feeling like so much is beyond their control...the politics and government, health care, education for their children, the unbelievable long hours that many Americans work at their jobs in the hopes of not being fired, etc. Food, when and what to eat, is one of the last bastions that many people probably feel they have a choice about. It a sub-conscious thing, so I doubt that many could even put a finger on it, but I suspect that this may be it for many.

Faith

I have this quote on my FB page:

"There are people in the world so hungry, that God cannot appear to them except in the form of bread." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Dawn

Thanks! I read a lot of Gandhi as a teen (I was crazy about India, and found out just recently that my father's specialty was the ecomonic geography of India), but, googling, I also found it was a line from a Pearls Before Swine album in the 60s my brother's played over and over. My old brain mixed it up with the WWII bios I was reading. Oh, the mind.

It is an important thought in our well-fed society, lest we lose sight of the experiences and motivations for those we do not see about us.

I get what you're saying, and I agree.

I'm in to traditional foods (ie Nourishing Traditions), local, organic, etc, but I'm not obsessed with it, and I don't think the occasional "bad" food will kill me or my children, and I certainly don't lecture other people on how to eat. But I'm also a big believer in consumer rights and personal liberty. Hey, if you want to live off Pepsi and Doritos, fine by me! I'd just like to be able to buy raw milk legally :)

I am a vegan . Last night I served up beef' date=' pork and chicken kebobs to a small gathering of dear friends last night. It was a "welcome home" dinner of sorts for one of our friends who has been on travel. While I don't consider food as a "religion", I do agree that food brings us together. Plus, I enjoy cooking for the carnivores in my life now and then (beef and veggies are so pretty together!).

I don't preach to them about their food choices, what they spend their money on, or their religious preference and they don't preach to me about theirs. I think that's why we're friends in the first place.[/quote']

This is the way folks in our group are too. People bring what they want (shared dishes) and people eat what they want without the least bit of condemnation or preaching. We enjoy the socializing and many times share recipes.

I don't know about food as religion, but I lived in OK for a long time and I definitely know about football as religion. I really don't want to go into it -- I feel a flashback coming on just typing foot... uh-oh...

I don't know about food as religion, but I lived in OK for a long time and I definitely know about football as religion. I really don't want to go into it -- I feel a flashback coming on just typing foot... uh-oh...

Too funny, Audrey. We also once lived in a state that had shrines to the local college football team erected in way too many suburban landscapes.

... People have all sorts of different labels... Plus, there is the cult of personality surrounding celebrity chefs and their books.

Yes - the celebrity chefs have had a great deal of impact in our home.

Maybe people feel out of control in so many aspects of their lives that this is one place that they can feel completely in control.

I can see this. Parents control what the kids eat, kids fight for control of what they eat, people control what they eat to the detriment of their health. Then there are people who struggle to control what they eat. Now the government wants to control what people eat.

Maybe it's the inevitable effect of the 24 hour news channels that must say something to interest viewers so they report on every minute study.

Yes - there is so much information to sift through, and it seems to have exploded over the past ten years.

I agree that food is idolized and evangelized in this country. I think it's in part due to our general excess...

I also know several "foodies," those who spend extravagant dollars trying new culinary feats. Food worship here, too.

:iagree: