Menu

What kitchen appliance would you get

Dh's bonus actually came in--and he gave me some money to spend on myself. I recently used gift cards and bought myself a stand mixer for mother's day (using a stash of gc to Williams-Sonoma). I love it, and I'm wondering what other appliances I might "need." Other than a microwave and a crockpot, I have nothing. If you had $200 to spend in the kitchen, what would you get? I love to cook--FIL bought me pans last year--good ones-- and I was so happy I cried so this is truly buying something for me.

Christine

I think that I might save it toward a food processor. I use mine for very different things than the stand mixer.

If I had to spend it for sure, I would get:

A stick blender (I think these are around $25).

A salad spinner--a really good one from Pampered Chef--$60ish and WEP

Some good big basic Tupperware pieces so that I could make salads ahead of time in the salad spinner and then put them away to eat later. I have actually done this, and it has upped my salad intake considerably. Maybe another $50.

Just one great new cookbook--if I buy one, I use it for a while. $25.

Lastly, either something a little luxurious to enhance our eating experience. Maybe some seasonal candles, maybe one of those two piece candle holders that you can use to make a pomegranite, squash, or pineapple into a decorative table item, maybe some cloth napkins and the beads and wire to make personalized beaded napkin rings, maybe some cheerful placemats...OR a set of really fancy cookie art stuff--I crave that. Silpat baking sheets, parchment, flat baking sheets, a straight rolling pin, several sets of laths to roll out dough to various perfect thicknesses, and the materials to make fondant, flooded icing, and regular icing, and some very cool medium-sized cookie cutters, plus one of those cookbooks that teaches you how to use them. I have wanted to try this for a while. (In my copious spare time. Right.)

A salad spinner--a really good one from Pampered Chef--$60ish and WEP

Some good big basic Tupperware pieces so that I could make salads ahead of time in the salad spinner and then put them away to eat later. I have actually done this, and it has upped my salad intake considerably. Maybe another $50.

Silpat baking sheets, parchment

I would get these too (well, I have parchment paper, but I recommend it if you don't have any).

Dh's bonus actually came in--and he gave me some money to spend on myself. I recently used gift cards and bought myself a stand mixer for mother's day (using a stash of gc to Williams-Sonoma). I love it, and I'm wondering what other appliances I might "need." Other than a microwave and a crockpot, I have nothing. If you had $200 to spend in the kitchen, what would you get? I love to cook--FIL bought me pans last year--good ones-- and I was so happy I cried so this is truly buying something for me.

Christine

Perhaps a high end food processor like Cuisinart. And, IF you have any money left over, good, good quality spatula and other utensils. Or, invest in stainless steel cookie sheets, baking tins, etc.

Another vote for a food processor. I don't have one and am saving my pennies.

I have a stand mixer and love it. I just got a crock-pot and am loving it too (Christmas gift).

Immersion blenders are also awesome - I'm hoping that will be an intermediate purchase on the road to the food processor.

A rice cooker. I have a cheap one ($65) and it works just fine for all kinds of rice, steamed veg, and steel cut oatmeal.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002OKDUG/ref=wms_ohs_product

A good blender which will crush ice and has good reviews which support that claim.

A 12 quart stockpot. I have an 8 quart and it is not big enough because whatever I use it for expands to feed an army.

A Whirley-Pop Stovetop Popcorn Popper

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SU35/ref=oss_product

A Quesadilla Maker -- my kids use this practically every day, so it is not the waste of my sister's money I thought it would be.

http://www.amazon.com/Santa-Fe-QM2R-900-Watt-Quesadilla/dp/B000KL09G4/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1294366115&sr=1-1

A kitchen scale - I have this one, and I love it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007GAWRS/ref=wms_ohs_product

A cute can opener that works well

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00030J1UC/ref=wms_ohs_product

A Splash-Proof Super-Fast Thermapen - Instant Read Thermometer -- this is expensive, but if I'd bought it in the first place instead of a dozen cheap ones over the years, I would have come out ahead.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P63MEW/ref=oss_product

A really good knife for slicing and dicing (food) and a knife sharpener

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004VWKQ/ref=wms_ohs_product

Cutting boards -- whatever the material, make one different from the rest and use it only for meat, poultry, and fish (and lamb or whatever else you eat that doesn't grow in the ground).

Salad spinner -- I have the large Oxo one, I don't take apart the lid when I clean it, it does a great job, and it has not fallen apart.

A little chopper: The blades can cut you deeply, so clean carefully and keep out of the reach of everyone!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005MF97/ref=wms_ohs_product

If you will use a food processor a lot, I agree with the suggestion to get one. I don't use mine more than once every couple of years because it is too much trouble to haul out, put together, clean, etc. Most jobs it does I can do faster without it, taking into consideration the time it takes and the learning curve. I have to reacquaint myself with how to work the thing and which disc to use every time.

Edited by RoughCollie

Do you have good knives? That is what I would get, if I didn't already have them. I have a mix of Wusthof, Henkles, and Sabatier from my days working in a high end kitchen store. Some are 25 years old by now and I expect to have them another 25 years. They sharpen easily when they get dull, but it takes a long time for them to need sharpening.

My food processor sits in the pantry unused. At a certain point in my life I used it a lot, but I don't think I have used it in the last year. It is a Cuisinart. Also 25 years old (the owners of the store gave it to me as a high school graduation present), and it always worked very well.

1. Immersion blender. Soups and smoothies. Yum! Used several times a week.

2. Mini-food-processor. I use mine all the time when I want a quick meal. Great for onion, garlic, celery, carrots, etc. when I need things chopped NOW and don't need the zen of making perfectly-sized pieces. Easy to clean and works well with small amounts. I have the Cuisinart. I use it several times a week.

3. Rice cooker, with steamer insert. I use it 2-3 times a week.

4. Food processor. Not a frequent use item, but does some things very very well. Pesto, pie dough, grating large amounts of cheese.

5. Bread machine. Nice for entertaining.

6. Really good blender. Used mainly for smoothies.

I used to have a Cuisinart food processor and gave it away because I never used it. Do you have a really good blender? If not, I'd spend the money on a VitaMix. Mine is the most used appliance in the house; I make either smoothies or sorbet in it almost every day, not to mention pureeing soups, making mango lassis, and everything else it does.

If you already have a good blender, I'd get some attachments for the KitchenAide (meat grinder, pasta maker), an immersion blender, some silicone bakeware (and/or silpat sheets), and one really really good knife.

Jackie

I use my food processor for making pie dough and biscuits (easier and faster than a pastry blender), making certain soups, and slicing potatoes/carrots for gratins and grating a lot of cheese. If you don't eat foods like these a lot, you may not want to bother. I leave mine on the counter-top; it gets more use that way.

If you don't have good knives, I would get those before I spent money on a food processor. The most useful ones are a chef's knife, a Santoku knife, and a couple of paring knives. A slicer can be useful as well, but it's easier to get by with a cheaper serrated slicer than a cheap version of anything else. Don't buy them in a set or a block--you'll wind up paying for a fillet knife and random stuff that you don't need. I use a magnetic knife strip, mounted on the wall, but you can get in-drawer knife racks as well--the kind that have a slot for each knife, and hold them in place. Don't just toss your knives in a drawer--you'll wreck them, plus it's a great set-up for an accident.

Brands: Henckels and Wusthof are equally good--and equally pricey. The OXO brand paring knives are surprisingly good for the price. A brand I am excited about these days is Mercer, which is made in Taiwan of German steel. My favorite knife is a Mercer Santoku knife.

Once you have good knives, keep them sharp. This: http://www.amazon.com/Chefs-Choice-Diamond-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B00005QEZS/ref=sr_1_13?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1294368632&sr=1-13 is an excellent sharpener, especially for the price. This: http://www.amazon.com/AccuSharp-1-001-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B00004VWKQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1294368849&sr=1-1 hones your knives between uses--it's like a steel, but much easier to use.

Can you tell that I'm a knife nut? Sorry...

The small appliances that gets the most use in my house are my Cuisinart Griddler and my Cuisinart toaster oven.

The griddler is great for everything from panini to grilling veggies or chicken to making a ton of pancakes at one time. Love those grill marks on my veggies and chicken - and love that I can pop the plates out and put them in the dishwasher or wash them quickly.

The toaster oven is used to reheat leftovers (some things just don't reheat well in the microwave), bake food for two without heating my oven, and makes great toast/garlic bread.

Beyond what you've mentioned, the only other kitchen "gadget" that I've invested in was a Cuisinart Food Processor, and I love it. It took me so many years to decide to do it, and then I was afraid to use it for a while, but I must say, I love it; I use it for nut butters, hummus, slicing, shredding...not so much for dicing, though. The next thing I might invest in is a monster mixer type thing.

I totally agree on the knives. They are a very worthwhile investment.

My latest gadget that I'm enjoying is a fancy toaster oven. It's actually a combo rotisserie, toaster, and convection oven. Just last night I cooked a quiche low and slow in the oven but had the toaster oven cranked up roasting potatoes. It's perfect as a second oven and I am LOVING it! Best of all my step-dad got it for me from K-Mart for only around $90!

My latest gadget that I'm enjoying is a fancy toaster oven. It's actually a combo rotisserie, toaster, and convection oven... It's perfect as a second oven and I am LOVING it!

:iagree:

I rarely use my food processor but I'm constantly using my toaster oven.

I also really like my Foreman grill.

A stick blender, a good blender for making smoothies/blended drinks, and an ice cream maker.

I got a stick blender yesterday and I've already used it twice.

If you eat rice regularly and don't have a rice cooker, I'd go for a good rice steamer (like Patty Joanna) instead of the ice cream maker.

Cat

Christine

I would use about $25-30 to buy a toaster oven.

I gave one to DH a few years ago and we've used it almost every day since then. Not so much for toast but for reheating things or cooking things that we want crispy.

It is welll worth the cost!

Food Processor - my old, very cheap food processor is dying, I'm going to replace it with the Kitchen Aid KFP750 (should be able to find it for about $150).

Did you get a Kitchen Aid stand mixer? My very favorite thing is the http://www.amazon.com/Design-Beater-5-Quart-KitchenAid-Tilt-Head/dp/B0015TMHFG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294411827&sr=8-1

Beater Blade. I use my mixer so much more since I got this, I never have to stop and scrape the bowl!!! They make them for all the Kitchen Aid mixers.

My favorite kitchen purchases are:

Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer

Cuisinart Food Processor

Rice Cooker

Food Network Knives and one I purchased in Japan years ago.

Stainless Steel Cuisinart Pots and Pans...I can scrub these babies with a knife if I want to!

Happy Shopping, I hope you find some great sales.

What is a magic bullet?

Here is the link - http://www.buythebullet.com/

I got mine at Costco with a coupon for $29.00.

We drink smoothies EVERY morning and it has made my life so much easier. Before the MJ, I was using my heavy KitchenAid Blender and if everyone wanted something different, then I had to clean it out several times.

Makes great frozen margaritas, too :D.

Food Processor - my old, very cheap food processor is dying, I'm going to replace it with the Kitchen Aid KFP750 (should be able to find it for about $150).

Did you get a Kitchen Aid stand mixer? My very favorite thing is the http://www.amazon.com/Design-Beater-5-Quart-KitchenAid-Tilt-Head/dp/B0015TMHFG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294411827&sr=8-1

Beater Blade. I use my mixer so much more since I got this, I never have to stop and scrape the bowl!!! They make them for all the Kitchen Aid mixers.

I didn't know this existed! :svengo: And to think both Christmas and my birthday are just passed. Darn!

We use, in order of frequency, our:

Chef's Choice water boiler (for tea, coffee)

Kitchen Aid toaster

Oster Heavy-duty blender (smoothies, raw applesauce)

Chef's Choice heart-shaped waffle iron (every weekend)

Kitchen-Aid Immersion blender (for "creaming" veggie soups and whipping cream)

Cuisinart Food processor (for chopping veggies, shredding cheese, making purées, etc.)

Popcorn popper (got mine for $1.00, 15 years ago at a thrift store)

Back when we had a steamer that worked, we use that quite frequently, too;) Now we just use the steamer basket on our double-boiler.

Hi,

How did you get the coupon for the magic bullet? I have been eyeing this for ages but in store it is selling for at least over $50 .

Caryn

The coupon was in my Costco coupon book and when I went to buy it, the usual price (44.95) had been reduced to 33.95. (This was also Black Friday.)

Look at Kohl's. I have seen them on sale there for 29.99 as recently as the week after Christmas.

I didn't know this existed! :svengo: And to think both Christmas and my birthday are just passed. Darn!

I was going to get one, but then I broke my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. I'll figure out how to fix it someday, and then I'll get a beater blade for it.

Public Service Announcement for KA stand mixer owners--you know those black plastic thingys that look like screws on the side of the top of your mixer? NEVER TURN THEM. ;)

My favorite gadget after my stand mixer is my rice cooker. It has revolutionized my life. On Sunday or Monday I make a vat of rice for the week. I can program it with what time I want the rice ready. I set it up in the morning and rice is done when I want it. It will also keep the rice warm for hours.

I keep debating getting a food processor. I don't really have the counter space. However, every once in awhile I come across a recipe where having one would be pretty handy.

If you are a baker-get a grain mill and start grinding your own flour. You will never want store bought flour again.

I would get a food processor. I have a Cuisinart and I use it in place of a mixer and a blender. I can make dough and smoothies in it. I only own a stick mixer and no blender since my Cuisinart does everything else for me. I thought my food processor was huge when I first got it, but now my family has grown and I wish I had a bigger one. It is heavy, but I store it in a cabinet right above the counter so it's easy to get it out for use. If I had to drag it from down below or the pantry, it wouldn't get used nearly as often.

My other most favorite kitchen item is my Cook's Illustrated cookbook. I have learned so much for this cookbook, and ALL the food I make with their recipes turns out delicious. I have a subscription to their magazine now too.