Menu

What are you using for Kindergarten next year??

mom2denj

Main:

- Leading Little Ones to God

- OPGTR

- Readalouds based on lists from Ambleside Online, FIAR

- Beginning readers

- Handwriting Without Tears

- RightStart math

- Scripture memory based on AWANA

Extras as we have time / inclination:

- we've been working on drawing a world map

- we will probably continue the calendar stuff we did in preschool, just b/c my kids really like it for some reason!

- Explode the Code

- MEP Reception

- Miquon Orange

- FIAR workbook

- Draw Write now

Wow, I keep forgetting I'll have a K'er come June. We'll pretty much use what my oldest used last year and compensate for different strengths. Here's the plan:

LA: SWR, Cursive First, SL Readers 1 and 2 (he's read most of level 1 already so we'll see), FLL1, DEL

Math: Horizons K, finish Miquon Orange, then start Singapore PM 1A and Miquon Red.

Literature: SL P4/5

Science: Noeo Bio 1

Geography: Evan Moor Begonning Geography

I keep forgetting I'll have a K'er too, lol.

We'll be doing:

Just her:

OPGTR

FLL

Lots of read alouds and some readers if she picks it up fast (big sis was reading independently by 3.5 so I'm a little lost here, lol)

Singapore EB math

Leading Little Ones to God

Evan Moor Beginning Geography

With big sis:

listen in on history (Miller/Guerber Ancient World and Greeks, may be able to squeeze in some Romans too)

Apologia Astronomy and Zoology 1

what we're doing now for K...

OPGTR & ETC

ds just started SWO A a few weeks before Christmas (mainly at his insistence)

HWT

Miquon Orange

RightStart A, moving into B

WWE 1 & FLL 1 (again, mainly because he wants to Do School like his big sister, and his writing is surprisingly good for his age)

random science experiments & reading random science books (Thames & Kosmos Little Labs, Magic School Bus kits, Let's Read and Find Out science books)

SOTW 1 + AG (and, yes, again, at his insistence... he & his sister asked last February if he could go ahead and study ancients so they'd be studying the same time period for a year. It was so sweet I couldn't turn them down.)

It looks like a lot but he doesn't do everything every day or even every week (e.g., we did several weeks of just Miquon and no Right Start; before that we did several weeks of just Right Start and no Miquon).

I wasnt going to do K til the Fall, but DS is ready and willing

We are doing:

OPG and HOP (he loves this so we will alternate days)

Math: hands on/games/cheapo workbooks

ETC

Handwriting- self made startwrite wkshts

Science- Bobbie Kalman books with various science kits

History- read alouds

The basics:

Five in a Row

Handwriting Without Tears

Continue with Reading Pathways/Phonics Pathways and assorted readers

MEP

Assorted read aloud titles

Extras:

Swimming lessons

Music - undecided, but leaning toward Music for Little Mozarts

Character

Other topics of interest as they arise (mostly science projects with dad)

My plan (that seems to change daily:tongue_smilie:) :

Bible: I just read aloud from

LA: Phonics Pathways

Explode the Code

Pathway Readers

Cursive First

Math: Math Mammoth (maybe Horizons too - haven't decided)

ES Intro to Science, TOG Year 2/3, and Sentence Family with big sis

I'll have my second Kindergartener next year! Here's what we'll be doing:

A Little Garden Flower K

MEP 1

possibly Miquon Orange

HWT K

All About Reading (not sure what level we'll be in by then, we'll start the pre-level when it comes out)

possibly All About Spelling 1

He'll also be tagging along with big sister, who will be in second grade.

This year we're doing the following:

ETC

A number of different phonics reading activities (T4L, Starfall, BOB, easy readers, etc....whatever we feel like each day)

HWT

Elemental Science Intro. to Science

Tried slow SOTW, but it's too much for me right now

Starting MM 1A this month

We play a lot of math and phonics games as well. It's really been a very laid-back year.

Edited by 5Wizards

Here's the kindy materials my older kids all used. I will use the same list with my youngest two when the time comes.

-Phonics Pathways, supplemented with http://www.starfall.com, BOB books, and Leapfrog videos

-writing tablet, maybe a cheap writing workbook from the office store

-pile of blocks

-library card

-lots of outdoor exploring time

If they were adamant about having their own "real" schoolbook so they could be like an older sibling, I gave them the giant K workbook from Costco.

-Singapore Math 1A/1B

-CLE 100 language arts & finish OPGTR

-American history (discovery through late 1800s) and literature assembled from If You, Step Into Reading, Little House books, Laurie Carlson activity books and others

-Elemental Science: Intro to Science

-Spanish, studio art, beginning classical guitar at learning center

-religious education from Sunday School lessons, children's choir at church

Should be an exciting year!

Edited by Classical Book Worm

Here's the kindy materials my older kids all used. I will use the same list with my youngest two when the time comes.

-Phonics Pathways, supplemented with www.starfall.com, BOB books, and Leapfrog videos

-writing tablet, maybe a cheap writing workbook from the office store

-pile of blocks

-library card

-lots of outdoor exploring time

If they were adamant about having their own "real" schoolbook so they could be like an older sibling, I gave them the giant K workbook from Costco.

Thank You, SilverMoon!

My youngest will be starting Kindergarten in the fall, and I don't have grand plans. I was starting to think I am planning on missing the boat!

With my oldest son, we used Leapfrog videos and Bob books. I'd started the Teach Your Child To Read In 100 Easy Lessons, but that was awful. So we just read, read, read!

I had also started Alpha MUS with my oldest, but I think it was just a little too old for him, as he got stuck partway through. So we are doing that for 1st grade this year. I am thinking of getting the MUS Primer for my youngest next year. I will look at it and see how in-depth it is, because I don't want to overwhelm him. He will be turning 5 in September, so we are going slow, and at his pace.

We pick at things right now b/c we're in moving-halfway-across-the-country limbo, K5 doesn't start until this Fall.

What I would like to do:

OPGTR

ETC

Bob books / Nora Gaydos books

D'Nealian handwriting

RS A

MEP R

Other supplementals:

MTM

Artistic Pursuits

Delta/Magic School Bus science kits

possibly BFSU

us history done through read alouds (possibly crafts as she loves doing them, but nothing serious)

swim / ballet / ice skating lessons (all of them if DD had her druthers)

I'm assuming that copious amounts of reading goes w/o saying. :)

ds2 will be 5 in june, and even if i call him pre-k next year he'll be doing k-ish work.

opgtr, we'll be starting this gently soon

playing around with numbers, counting, and math in general

hwot

with ds1

bible stories and children's catechism

readalouds (ao)

general geography (maps, chidren just like me)

nature journal (just starting this, we'll see how it goes)

the easy spanish jr.

My oldest will be in K this fall. We will be doing:

Miquon Orange

Five in a Row and BFIAR with her little sister

A Living History of Our World (Queen's Homeschool)

Nature Walk With Aunt Bessie (Queen's homeschool)

Elemental Science Intro to Science

Hooked on Phonics 1st grade (we are almost done with the K book)

HWOT

Artistic Purists and lots of art projects

Lots of reading (from the AO list)

Ballet or gymnastics

Korean school on Saturdays (langauge, art, culture and history) We will be doing this as a family. My girls are adopted from Korea and we want them to learn the language.

Laura

Mom to Madeline (4) and Lily (3)

My DS is doing K5 this year. Here's what he'll be using for 2nd semester:

finish AAS 1, start AAS 2

lots of reading practice with library books (he's reading Henry & Mudge type books)

finish HWOT pre-k, hopefully start HWOT K

FLL 1 done orally

finish last few lessons in MEP Reception, start MEP Year 1 and RS A

Singapore Start Up Science Vol. 2 (physics)

I Love America for history

We are doing Kindergarten this year. I tried to focus in on the necessities and not overwhelm them with too much. We use:

Essential Math Kindergarten A&B (Singapore Math)

OPGTR

Kingfisher Encyclopedia of Animals

That is it for really "core" stuff. We read quite a bit, and their history has been more from books, though I didn't really intend to start history yet, they just enjoy biographies written for kids. (Like "Abraham Lincoln; The Boy Who Loved Books" and "Odd Boy Out")

DD will be doing kinder in the fall. I'll likely do with her what I did with the boys - just buy the A Beka K5 curriculum. It's pretty basic, easy to use and the boys learned how to read and got a good foundation in math. As we move up in grades we gradually dump A Beka for other things, but I love their early years stuff.

What we're doing right now.

Basics:

ETC, Phonics Pathways, ideas from Kitchen Table Math 1, lots of art and coloring, lots of stories, and lots of free play

additional things that we don't do consistently

RS Japanese (its free for us) and science kits

What I am going to try to do later in the year -

Memoria Press K - I'm and going to demo this for a few weeks because I want to try to use their first grade program.

I don't have a clue! He is auditory, not interested in sitting for any length of time, and all boy.

I have:

OPGTR

Phonics Pathways

Bob books

A laminated prek workbook

HWOT which I totally don't see how to use:confused:

and the K manual for Saxon math I need to get the workbook for if I want to use it

Guest RecumbentHeart
I don't have a clue! He is auditory, not interested in sitting for any length of time, and all boy.

I have:

OPGTR

Phonics Pathways

Bob books

A laminated prek workbook

HWOT which I totally don't see how to use:confused:

and the K manual for Saxon math I need to get the workbook for if I want to use it

I have Saxon Math K and there is no workbook for it unless you mean the Meeting Book. From what I've heard, most people seem to end up dropping that part of it and just doing the fun, hands-on stuff. I just do something similar using our own calendar although I do have the Meeting Book.

I've got a Ker this year, and another next.

My current Ker used several ETC books, and we may do more later but she was getting burned out on them. She did Horizons K book 1, and is doing Miquon Orange and MM 1A at the present. She is a natural at handwriting...I make it up as I go with her. She reads to me daily. We do Happy Phonics games, and Recipe for Reading lessons. She listens in on my 2nd graders history/science/literature/other stuff.

I hadn't put much thought into my little guy's K year. (my BABY:crying:) I will probably get him his own set of Miquon books, MM 1A, ETC books 1-3, and Abeka K Cursive. He plays Happy Phonics now, but we'll step up the pace with Recipe for Reading. I'll start having him read to me at a set time every day when he turns 5. He will listen in on the history/sci/lit/etc...

I keep K pretty relaxed, even though it sounds like we do a lot. It's all in bits and pieces...and my current Ker is an ambitious self-starter. Her brother may not be, and that is fine...he may only get through a portion of what she's doing...but I still call it K for both.

We're in the middle of K, ds turned 6 in Oct. We're using:

Singapore 1B

Heart of Dakota's emerging reader book series

CLE Reading 1 inbetween the HOD books

Phonics Pathways

Sandi Queen's Pictures in Cursive

Galloping the Globe

Once a week or so:

Art Adventures at Home

Song School Latin

Flip-Flop Spanish

Calvert's Melody Lane series

• 5 weeks later...

We are currently doing K, so I thought I would share with you what is working for us.

Reading: Primarily using “Phonics Pathways” by Dolores G. Hiskes , but I also use my mom’s old Abeka "A Handbook for Reading" she passed down to me, Bob Books, HOP K books, Primary Phonics books from the library, and lots of other readers we’re checking out from the library.

Phonics- Explode the Code. We started with the Get Ready, Get Set, Go for the Code primers in PreK and are working our way up.

Handwriting- We are currently using A Reason for Handwriting K, but are about to start Level A, which is the 1st grade book. I like it because it is Christian and incorporates scripture verses as copywork (in the level A).

Math- We started out using Singapore Earlybird Math, but I just wasn’t thrilled with the workbook approach. It was like pulling teeth the get dd to do even one page! I switched to RightStart level A a few months ago, and boy, what a difference! DD now ASK to do math, and told me the other day that it’s her favorite subject. Now THAT’S what I want to hear, lol! Right Start is very hands on, with hardly any workbook pages. There are a few, but it uses the abacus and lots of fun games to teach math the Asian way.

Fine Motor skills- a variety of things such as playdough, working on scissor skills, etc.

Bible/Devotion- We’re reading through “The Child’s Story Bible” by Catherine Vos and loving it! We also occasionally use “Leading Little Ones to God” by Marian M. Schoolland, and while I like this as well, we haven’t used this as much as the Vos book.

History/Geography- For K I just wanted to keep it light and fun, so we’ve read a variety of great books on American history. Some titles in particular:

"The History for Little Pilgrims" by Christian Liberty Press

"The Children’s Book of America" by William Bennett

Lots and lots of books from the library about America and American famous people, such as Lewis and Clark, Sacagawea, George Washington, etc.

Also lots of books about geography, maps, etc. and we have a blow up globe that the girls love.

I have also used several history/geography lessons from this free site: http://www.cstone.net/~bcp/BCPIntro2.htm Wonderful site….check it out!

Supplements for History and Geography are things like World and United States floor puzzles, Geography songs cd by Kathy Troxell, “Take Your Hat Off When the Flag Goes By” cd http://www.nccsstore.com/Take-Your-H...ductinfo/TYHO/, Liberty Kids episodes, etc.

Music- Wee Sing America, Around the World and Bible Songs; Classical Music for children cds, such as Carnival of the Animals and Peter and the Wolf, etc.

Art- Artistic Pursuits K-3 Book One, http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodl...&category=7716. This is wonderful and I highly recommend this art program! We only started this about a month ago but I wish we would have started sooner, because it’s an awesome art program and I love that it uses REAL art materials.

Also this book is a really good book for studying fine art, and the used price isn’t bad at all: http://www.amazon.com/Looking-Painti...6073060&sr=1-1

Science- Again, we haven’t used one curriculum in particular for this, but I’ve pulled from various resources I have here, as well as lots and lots of books about various science topics that I own and from the library. The Bobbie Kalman books are excellent and are on subjects such as what is a habitat, hibernation, migration, etc. Also the Rookie Science series is excellent, and the Let's Read and Find Out About Science books.

Read alouds- We read a chapter book every night before bed. Winnie the Pooh, Babe the Gallant Pig, Betsy-Tacy, etc. There are lots of great lists of read alouds out there.

Mudpies to Magnets

Saxon Math K

HWT (working on PreK now... will move on to K as soon as DS is ready)

McGuffey Readers

Progressive Phonics (already into these-- we'll continue until he's finished with the series or loses interest)

Various Read Alouds for family time (we just finished James & the Giant Peach. Next up: Harry Potter 1. He's been begging for this one...)

And since we already have SOTW 1 & HO Ancients, Level 1, I think I'm going to start these in the summer/fall & work the two programs together, stretching the sequence out over 2 years if we need to. This gives us time to do more in-depth on things that interest him.

Extras:

Soccer & swimming (1x each per week)

Piano once a week

Exploring Columbus Meetup Group 2-3x per month (as much for my sanity as for his)

Right now I have

K:

Singapore & MEP

BFSU

ETC

Signing Time

reading reading reading

DVDs like Bill Nye

play preschool where they do a lot of art

Pre-K:

Get Ready/Set/Go for the Code

MEP

BFIAR

tagging along with big sis

Next year dd5 miiiight be in an awesome CM or Montessori charter school with afterschooling BFSU, Singapore, ETC, and Signing Time. Her sister will move up to MFW K plus MEP, probably still ETC, and Signing Time. :)

Edited by LittleIzumi

I plan to do 4 days a week:

Kindergarten at Home (google books) - ~3/wk?

Webster's Speller - 10m/day (spelling and blending)

MEP Reception & Ruth Beechick for math

Cursive from Don Potter - just forming the letters in sand or salt to start

FIAR (probably)

BFSU

He'll be sitting in with the family more too, so that will cover Bible and such. I'll expect him to be quiet, but I'm not going to push narrations until he is in 1st.

My goals are to develop his ability to pay attention and to enjoy learning together.

Amy

Edited by mtcougar832