Menu

s/o of a s/o "normal" names misspelled...

Doesn't bother me in the least. There are so many variations on names. My kids have fairly traditional names, but there are common spelling variations, so to spell them for people is not an issue for me (In fact, I knew one of our dd's names was going to be an issue from the get-go. I spelled it the way my dh's culture would spell it. In my more anglo background, it's spelling is more convoluted, and we opted for more direct). In fact, I like spelling my kids names. I love their names, so any chance I get to mull them over, spell them, talk about them etc., is rather fun. My oldest ds has a classic name that has two 'traditional' spellings. We chose the one that most pleased us, and the other is not wrong.

Edited by LibraryLover

My name's an extremely common one that doesn't really have a lot of popular variant spellings (think "Linda" type), and yet people always assume it's going to be a variant. This confuses me, because statistically you're most likely to hit the spelling if you assume the most common (without prior knowledge)

Doesn't bother me in the least. There are so many variations on names. My kids have fairly traditional names, but there are common spelling variations, so to spell them for people is not an issue for me (In fact, I knew one of our dd's names was going to be an issue from the get-go. I spelled it the way my dh's culture would spell it. In my more anglo background, it's spelling is more convoluted, and we opted for more direct). In fact, I like spelling my kids names. I love their names, so any chance I get to mull them over, spell them, talk about them etc., is rather fun. My oldest ds has a classic name that has two 'traditional' spellings. We chose the one that most pleased us, and the other is not wrong.

I'm not saying it's an issue for me, just that I thought Isaac was pretty straightforward. I'm surprised at how often it gets misspelled. I have a daughter with a very unusual name, though we spell it phonetically, and it almost never gets misspelled. Just interesting to me. :D

My own name can be spelled 4,723 ways :tongue_smilie: so it's never spelled "right". ;)

My name's an extremely common one that doesn't really have a lot of popular variant spellings (think "Linda" type), and yet people always assume it's going to be a variant. This confuses me, because statistically you're most likely to hit the spelling if you assume the most common (without prior knowledge)

Yes, exactly what I was getting it! Just surprising! I guess it goes to show that no matter what you do, your name will be misspelled. Might as well spell it "Dystynie". ;)

I'm not saying it's an issue for me, just that I thought Isaac was pretty straightforward. I'm surprised at how often it gets misspelled. I have a daughter with a very unusual name, though we spell it phonetically, and it almost never gets misspelled. Just interesting to me. :D

Yes. Names are fun and interesting. I have yet another child whose name doesn't sound pretty if one tries to pronounce it phonetically. I knew I'd have to spell that one as well, although it's not an odd or uncommon name. I like to spell it. :) My younger son has a very old & traditional Western name. We rarely have issues with that one. I personally love the way it sounds when I say it. I am not supposed to have a favorite name, but his is it. :)

:tongue_smilie:

Anyone have this experience?

I have an "Isaac" that constantly gets spelled "Issac".

:auto:

I would guess that is because the double "a" is pretty uncommon in our language, whereas a double "s" is familiar. People probably just remember that it has a double letter in it, and go with their best guess. It still looks like it is pronounced the same with either spelling.

Yes. Names are fun and interesting. I have yet another child whose name doesn't sound pretty if one tries to pronounce it phonetically. I knew I'd have to spell that one as well, although it's not an odd or uncommon name. I like to spell it. :) My younger son has a very old & traditional Western name. We rarely have issues with that one. I personally love the way it sounds when I say it. I am not supposed to have a favorite name, but his is it. :)

Now I'm intriqued to hear their names.

I have another daughter Noelle. It gets spelled Noel unless we clarify it. Come to think of it, I think I just automatically spell all of my kids' names if someone is writing them down. Probably out of habit b/c of how many ways you can spell my own name, plus I had a VERY unusual maiden last name. My married name is a common adjective, but I usually spell it out too. Habit, I guess!

I would guess that is because the double "a" is pretty uncommon in our language, whereas a double "s" is familiar. People probably just remember that it has a double letter in it, and go with their best guess. It still looks like it is pronounced the same with either spelling.

I think that's probably right on!

Jeffery makes me want to poke people with hat pins. We chose very common names with very traditional spellings. It's not hard.

Most people don't even attempt Benjamin. I had to look it up myself to make sure I was spelling it right when we chose it. Ben is easy, though.

My dh and I recently had an arguement about the spelling of Jay vs J.

The worst for me was the day a clerk mis-spelled both my first and last names. My first name is Jennefer, spelled with an e instead of an i. It is mis-spelled all the time and I hardly notice when it happens except to correct the billing person so the insurance will pay. But this day they spelled my last name wrong too. It is J o n e s. They spelled it Joans.

The eye doctor was literally shaking with laughter when I explained that they had mis-spelled both my names and how. Jennifer Joans. Sigh.

Jeffery makes me want to poke people with hat pins. We chose very common names with very traditional spellings. It's not hard.

Most people don't even attempt Benjamin. I had to look it up myself to make sure I was spelling it right when we chose it. Ben is easy, though.

My dh and I recently had an arguement about the spelling of Jay vs J.

JEFFERY is my husband's name and spelling! Ironically enough, it is because the nurse that wrote his name on the b.c. misspelled it, and my MIL decided to keep it that way. However, I recently saw a picture of him when he was about 5 and on his birthday cake it says JEFFREY. MIL is one of the ones that misspells my sons name from Isaac to Issac so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that she went back and forth on her own sons name. lol

No one ever spells my surname correctly; apparently mine is the least common variation. I try to preempt things by stating "there are no o's," but it usually doesn't help. The spelling of my first name wasn't an issue until I moved to Oregon from Ontario, Canada. I don't know if this is a function of moving to the States or moving west or both, but I've never met another Moira out here. The most common misspelling is "Moria." I've given up correcting it even among friends. Over time all but one has noticed.

JEFFERY is my husband's name and spelling! Ironically enough, it is because the nurse that wrote his name on the b.c. misspelled it, and my MIL decided to keep it that way. However, I recently saw a picture of him when he was about 5 and on his birthday cake it says JEFFREY. MIL is one of the ones that misspells my sons name from Isaac to Issac so I guess I shouldn't be too surprised that she went back and forth on her own sons name. lol

My aunt's name was misspelled by the nurse and her parents decided to keep it that way too - I wonder what was up with that? I can't imagine letting that go. So I have an Aunt Carroll. :001_huh:

Now I'm intriqued to hear their names.

I have another daughter Noelle. It gets spelled Noel unless we clarify it. Come to think of it, I think I just automatically spell all of my kids' names if someone is writing them down. Probably out of habit b/c of how many ways you can spell my own name, plus I had a VERY unusual maiden last name. My married name is a common adjective, but I usually spell it out too. Habit, I guess!

I have a little boy named Noel, and I automatically spell his name when I give it, because otherwise it's inevitably spelled Nole or Nolan (or Noah for that matter). It's absolutely guaranteed that someone reading his name will pronounce it "Noelle" but I knew that when I named him. What I didn't anticipate is how much "Noel!" sounds like "No!" which is why he's ended up with the unfortunate nickname of "Noely." Sometimes I wonder if we should switch to his middle name Everett, but then he'll get Everest. Sometimes you can't win.

My dd is Abigail and it gets misspelled quite often. It bugs her more than it bugs me. I really, really hate it when people assume we call her Abby. um, no if we wanted her to be called Abby that's what we would have named her. I'm trying to break her of the habit of being so rude when people call her Abby. Her middle name was misspelled on her birth certificate but I let that go.

My ds is Colin. I don't mind the misspelling there either but you wouldn't believe how many people assume his name is Colin as in the body party. ick.

My dd is Abigail and it gets misspelled quite often. It bugs her more than it bugs me. I really, really hate it when people assume we call her Abby. um, no if we wanted her to be called Abby that's what we would have named her.

I had a roommate in college that said this to me when I asked if she went by Kim. I actually named my kids with names that would have shortened versions instead of just naming them the shortened version. I wanted a Bekah but I went with the longer name of Rebekah (another name that is misspelled a lot) so I could call her Bekah. I would have named my son with the longer name but my dh went with the shortened version. My son is still upset about that. I did it with my youngest also. I really wanted to be able to shorten her name to Kate although we actually go with another variation instead.

I think I get it from being named Kelly and having no where to go with it. It is always Kelly.

So, I wouldn't be hard on people for wanting to shorten her name. I really wanted an Abby (Abigail) but my dh vetoed it.

My name is Rachael. It's a common misspelling, but I still always have to spell it out for people. Even for other Rachaels, because they are so aware that their name is usually spelled Rachel. I wish my parents had spelled it correctly.

But then, my kid's name is Imogen and is pronounced IM-oh-jen NOT IM-oh-jean. People are very confused by that.

Not to mention that spelling Genevieve's name on the phone is kind of funny. :)

I have a little boy named Noel, and I automatically spell his name when I give it, because otherwise it's inevitably spelled Nole or Nolan (or Noah for that matter). It's absolutely guaranteed that someone reading his name will pronounce it "Noelle" but I knew that when I named him. What I didn't anticipate is how much "Noel!" sounds like "No!" which is why he's ended up with the unfortunate nickname of "Noely." Sometimes I wonder if we should switch to his middle name Everett, but then he'll get Everest. Sometimes you can't win.

My son is Everett, I've never had anyone call him Everest out loud, but they will say "Oh after the mountain?" to which I say "NO, the mountain is EvereSt with an S" to which they usually reply, "Oh, yeah I guess you're right"

My dd Audrey's name gets misspelled (usually people leave out the e). "Audrey" is the standard spelling. Sometimes people confuse it with "Aubrey".

My second dd was "Addie" until she decided to be called by her formal name. For awhile she and older dd got called "AuBrey and ABBy" (which are apparently more common).

My third dd is named after one of my best friends, who is from South America. We used the Spanish spelling (Eva). Americans mispronounce the name if they see it written or they misspell it if they hear it.

My fourth dd has a standard name that people have taken to spelling creatively. People assume a creative spelling and I have to correct it with the standard one.

My fifth dd's name gets confused with the more popular mono-syllabic (French) version of her (Spanish) name.

I always spell their names when someone is going to write them down. :)

My dh has a common Irish name. I always spell it as there are several variations. His spelling gets mispronounced a lot.

My sister lives in Ireland. It seems Gaelic names are again in fashion and at my nieces recent birthday party they had

Eabha pronounced ay-va

Aoife pronounced ee-fa

and

Niamh pronounced nee-iv

The little boy next door is Eoghan pronounced oh-in

It must be really confusing for them when they learn to read (using phonics)!

Edited by Hannah

I've never really thought about it before, but one thing my kids' (relatively uncommon) names have going for them is that they're pretty easy to spell. Gus is really August, but either way most people can spell it. I do have to spell Ari for people frequently, mostly because they're just not familiar with the name, but it's only 3 letters, so it doesn't take too long. I do know someone with an Arry, though....

Edited by kokotg

My grandmother misspelled my name from the day I was born till the day she died. It made me so mad when I was young. There is no "i" in my name. Now though I miss seeing it spelled with the "i."

Now for pronunciation, it drives me bats--- crazy when I get the hard "ch" like in Chucki when it is supposed to be a soft "ch" like Charlotte.

This drives me crazy with "Michael" being spelled "Micheal" and "Caesar" being spelled "Ceasar"!!!

DH's name is Michael and is misspelled constantly. Geez people, it is a common name.

When I taught middle school (I am a retired SPED teacher), I had a child named Micheal. Yes, with that spelling. I spent an ENTIRE YEAR teaching him how to spell his name correctly. It wasn't until his IEP in May of that year that his mother told me his name was spelled 'ea' instead of 'ae'. :glare:

My aunt's name was misspelled by the nurse and her parents decided to keep it that way too - I wonder what was up with that? I can't imagine letting that go. So I have an Aunt Carroll. :001_huh:

Maybe after Lewis Carroll? I also know several people who have maternal ancestral last names as first names.

Maybe after Lewis Carroll? I also know several people who have maternal ancestral last names as first names.

It isn't as common as it used to be, but for a long long time in the south the first born, boy or girl, was given the mother's maiden name.

I considered it for a nanosecond when pregnant, but my maiden name is a color, and dh's last name is a thing. Her name would have been along the lines of Green Hook.

My boys' names are never misspelled.

My girl's name has two common spellings (one that ends in "bel" and one that ends in "belle") because the name has entered American culture via multiple languages. I don't expect people to know which spelling we used unless they have seen her name written out before.

I've similar a issue with one of mine. We chose a particular language version. I spell our version when needed...and as I said, I like spelling my kids names. :D

You make a good observation, too, about names coming to N America via multiple languages and cultures. These aren't wrong; they just are.

Edited by LibraryLover

My dd is Abigail and it gets misspelled quite often. It bugs her more than it bugs me. I really, really hate it when people assume we call her Abby. um, no if we wanted her to be called Abby that's what we would have named her. I'm trying to break her of the habit of being so rude when people call her Abby. Her middle name was misspelled on her birth certificate but I let that go.

So, this is how my little boy got around nicknames. It was totally just a natural... maybe too much Southern Calling of his first and middle together... but... He would introduce himself to others saying I'll do yours.. with made up middle and last... for how it sounded... (switching to the female gender, of course)

My name is Abigail Elisabeth Smith.... but you can call me Abigail for short.

Seriously, no one has ever shortened it to a nickname, because of how he introduces it.... (Well, except immediate family that had a "baby" name for him)

I don't get it. To me, some of these misspellings are insane! Spelling Isaac wrong? Sarha?

I would never spell a last name of Jones as Joans.

I would never spell Noel as Nole or Noal.

This thread just blows my mind.

We have a few name issues in our family. My oldest son is Fionn. It was one of the top ten most popular names for boys in Ireland the year he was born. A lot of people, before meeting him, think he's a girl. Fionn is a boys name, Fiona is a girl.

My husband is Kelly and I am Dawn. We get a lot of Don (him) and Kelly (me).

I have also seen things for my husband, from people who know we are talking about a man, with his name spelled Keli and Kellie. Umm, that's a girl spelling. I can't imagine any man Kelly have his name spelled that way. It LOOKS feminine.

For three years the school sent our homeschooling paper work to David and Kelly. This year I finally added a note in the paperwork stating that we are Mr. Kelly and Mrs. Dawn Lastname.

My daughter is Bailey. To my understanding that is the classic/traditional spelling. I have gotten emails, cards, gifts for her with her named spelled Baylee and Bayleigh.

She recently got into an argument with a child on the playground who very heatedly told her that her name was a boy's name.

I don't know whether to laugh or cringe at some of the things mentioned in this thread.

It's not a nice thing to bring up in a fight, but Bailey is a boy's name. It's being used for girls now, too, of course, along with Hunter and other traditional boy names.

I know it was originally a boy's name. What I was amazed at was how rude and mean the other little girl was about the name. She even kept calling my daughter a boy.

It's not a nice thing to bring up in a fight, but Bailey is a boy's name. It's being used for girls now, too, of course, along with Hunter and other traditional boy names.

It's a surname. :D Geoge Bailey, I will love you until the day I die! :D

Oh, and what about Leslie. That's a boy's name as well. :)

You know that Owen is actually spelled E- i-o-n, right?

:D

In Gaelic it's Eoghan. I really wanted to keep things simple for him after all the other name issues our family has. Our list of baby names at the time consisted of: Owen, Ethan, Ewan, Noah, and Dylan.

From what I have read, Eion is a variant of Ian (Scottish), Ion (Greek), and John (Hebrew).

In Gaelic it's Eoghan. I really wanted to keep things simple for him after all the other name issues our family has. Our list of baby names at the time consisted of: Owen, Ethan, Ewan, Noah, and Dylan.

From what I have read, Eion is a variant of Ian (Scottish), Ion (Greek), and John (Hebrew).

Exactly. Names are fluid.

There are gazillions of variations of names (and places)...some are ancient and some are not. It's one way languages and cultures overlap and intertwine and borrow and yadda yadda yadda...or yaddah yaddah yaddah? (How to spell a new made- up phrase? :D)

"Honey, I an not sure I like that name. We agreed on Uggh!" "Darling, I have to name our new baby this. A chap over the land bridge saved my life when the Mammoth tried to kill me. I have to honor him." "Fine, but it looks better with an E." "Ok. Add an extra R to remember my Dad."

Edited by LibraryLover
I liked land bridge batter. ;)