Menu

What Do You Say...

Diva has been bugging me about how Wolf and I met. Usually I tell her it was an alien abduction or something similar.

She does know that he saw us waiting at a stoplight before he knew me (how weird is that?)

We met through a telephone dateline.

If she tries it, I'll kill her. :D Which is why I don't want her knowing at her age. When she's, say, 60, I'll tell her.

Tell her it was me that introduced the two of you. I'm a friend of your great aunt Susie's third cousin twice removed. ;)

Thank you! :D

This is cracking me up! How about you say, one day you picked up the phone -and voila - there he was. He must have dialed your number quite by accident and you guys got into a nice conversation. :lol:

'Cept, as he reminds me, I messaged him first...*sigh* He said no karoke or bingo in his intro, I couldn't just let that go without saying something...:lol: Karoke bingo caller, I believe...

I would tell her about when you actually met. So you "met" via a dating service...or on the phone...when/how did you meet in person? That's, I think, what I would tell her.

But don't listen to me - my kids already know I met my dh in a bar when he fell on me and knocked me down on his 21st birthday. :blush: (They're not traumatized by that knowledge, though - they think it's hilarious ;))

DH and I met on match.com, the kids all know about it. DH likes to joke that he should have held out until he saw who he would have gotten on e-harmony.............

Oddly enough, my kids and DH's kids were best friends and we all lived about two blocks apart before my ex and I divorced and he and his ex divorced. I didn't know who he was when I 'met' him online.......but later when we both found out :willy_nilly:

The kids were horrified at first, but they got over it.

Technically, isn't Ma Bell more of a 'Suzy' than a 'Roger'?

And it was here. 'Telus' doesn't morph so well. :smilielol5:

"Mom, where did you meet dad?"

"hmmm... I don't know. Why don't you tell-us?"

rinse and repeat.

When cornered, duck and shout about the flying monkeys, then go wash some dishes.

But I'm weird like that. I'd milk it for all it's worth, giggle to the max, then I'd tell her the truth.

His name was.... Bell, yes... Bell. :D

Or Roger if you prefer.

Roger Bell.

Sounds believable. :lol:

Alexander Graham Bell

She knows who that is, Mariann. :tongue_smilie:

OK the funny thing is that at first I thought Mariann was talking to me, as in "gee Karyn, if you can't remember the guy's name, here it is." :tongue_smilie: Which totally made sense with your "she knows who that is, Mariann" comment. NOW I get that you're talking about Diva which makes more sense! :lol:

Dontcha just love the written word and how we can mis-read things?

The reason I haven't told her is at 12, its not something I want to encourage her in. Looking back, it was a darn risky thing to do, and I mean from a safety perspective. Please let her meet someone in a 'natural' setting...church would be good. At work. Something safer than an anonymous guy from a telephone chat line. When I think of the dangers of that now...*shivers*

Wolf's a coward. "Go ask Mom" :glare:

OK the funny thing is that at first I thought Mariann was talking to me, as in "gee Karyn, if you can't remember the guy's name, here it is." :tongue_smilie: Which totally made sense with your "she knows who that is, Mariann" comment. NOW I get that you're talking about Diva which makes more sense! :lol:

Dontcha just love the written word and how we can mis-read things?

:lol::lol::lol: It didn't dawn on me that Mariann could have meant you at all!

I told my kids for the umpteenth times that they were "accidents" today. They were. But very, very loved ones (they know that!) . No secrets in this family.

I would just tell her. Nowadays there really is a lot less stigma and shame around dating services, here in Australia at least. Many, many people use them- even young people.

I don't get it. Are you embarrassed by how you met? I met my husband through Yahoo personals. My kids know that. What's to hide?

ETA: You're making it a much bigger deal than it needs to be, when really all that matters is that y'all are a family now.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator

But don't listen to me - my kids already know I met my dh in a bar when he fell on me and knocked me down on his 21st birthday. :blush:

I was going to say to tell her; it's not like you met at a bar which in my mind is just as risky. That's so funny, Laura. :D

DH and I met online and we've told the kids about it. I don't know -- dating services (phone, online, speed-dating) seem so mainstream now that we haven't thought of NOT telling them. I honestly think it's a better way to meet people. I wasn't the most discerning person out there in the dating pool and took home a bunch of winners before I went the online route.

I gotta tell you, when I read your OP, before you said you met through a dating service, I assumed it was something REALLY bad. So bad that you wouldn't want to say it outloud. When I read the real truth, I laughed to myself. You need to tell her so she's not imagining the REALLY bad stuff.

How you met is unrelated to how you will allow/encourage her to begin her dating life.

I'm always of the opinion to be honest and open with your children. Sometimes I have to be discreet, but I always tell the truth. Your dd is 12, right? If so, I think she's old enough to know how you met. To be honest, I don't see the shame in it. Our world isn't so very "traditional" any more. In fact, she will probably see it as cool!

:D

My father's mother met his father when she interviewed him( she was a newspaper reporter) while he was working as a wingwalker( he walked on the wings of a biplane at airshows. They somehow managed to keep the fact that he had ever had that occupation secret from their children until the children were grown and both the parents were dead. I am not sure how they managed to keep the secret though. I do know that Dad found out when he was going through family photographs and found on of his father wingwalking.

She knows who that is, Mariann. :tongue_smilie:

That's what you get for educating her, duh.

As to the op, I would just tell her! It doesn't sound bad to me. I was REALLY intoxicated the night I met my dh. That is the kind of thing you leave out of those conversations. :tongue_smilie:

My husband and I met online playing this game. We just got to talking... and talking and talking and talking. :) People meet in all kinds of ways. However, I do have a friend who doesn't know how her inlaws met. They won't tell anyone, their children have no idea. They make veiled references to it sometimes, as if there's some horrifically embarrassing story to go along with it. She thinks it's probably quite ordinary and they are just messing with everyone, but who knows. If you don't want to tell your daughter, just keep brushing her off and change the subject. :)

I met my hubby at a family reunion. We have a very twisted family tree. They all know the story. Some kids spend hours entertaining strangers with the story whereas others refuse to discuss it at all as "It is embarrasing". Of course, I am not terribly concerned about them following in my footsteps and most of their sisters have been good roll models so that helps.

I would tell her. There's nothing shameful about it. You're turning it into a big mystery.

Yeah, just tell her. Are you embarrassed by how you met? It's an earlier incarnation of online dating, which I'm sure she's familiar with (it's hard to escape), so I'm not seeing the big deal. The more you hedge, the more it seems like a big deal. Tell her the truth and she'll probably leave it be.