Menu

Have you ever been made fun of for being homeschooled?

I have been over a hundred times and everyone doesn't seem to get what it is about! Adults love to say I'll never get into college that way, I am messing up my future, and I must be socially retarted or something. It makes me so mad when people say that to me or my family or my friends! But I keep my cool and just say, "I will be going places in my life, I have already completed a lot more than your kids have in their lives. I have the time to study, and don't get caught up in the things in life that isn't so important right now (like dating guys) or will never be important to me(drugs, etc.)

This makes me mad, and sometimes I will say other things that make people realize that being homeschooled is better than public school. My parents know what I am doing, I am always telling them where I am, and if I don't tell them they contact me for an undate, and I have to take a picture of the place I am at and send it to them so they know I am not lying. Most of the parents that have kids in ps don't even know what their kids are up to half the time! Sometimes these comments make me so angry!

Have you ever encountered people like this and been criticized for homeschooling your kids or being homeschooled?

I meant for homeschooling, not being homeschooled! I am just so used to saying that I am homeschooled, that I didn't even think about the title right! Sorry!

Edited by LuvingLife

Sorry. Don't take it so personally, although that doesn't help for me to say. Maybe you need to toss out a few examples of those who've been accepted to college like Erik Demaine, who was the youngest person ever hired by MIT and received the MacArthur Fellowship (so-called genius grant).

Have you heard the phrase about "passing the bean dip"? Do a search here and there are some great threads on its use. You don't have to justify your choice to anyone. Sounds like your parents approve and that's really all that matters.

:iagree:

I do a "smile and nod"...what does it matter what they think? They aren't the ones who will live with the consequences (good and bad) of the choices you make. Move forward doing the best you can with what you have. Be the bigger person, even if you are years younger.

I do a "smile and nod"...what does it matter what they think? They aren't the ones who will live with the consequences (good and bad) of the choices you make. Move forward doing the best you can with what you have. Be the bigger person, even if you are years younger.

That is exactly what I do, just say I do like it and I don't really care what you think, (I don't say that, but I think it!:D, not a good thought though!) But it can be hard sometimes, and I know that being the bigger person like you said is the best way to do it. Thanks;)

Dear LuvingLife,

I am so proud of you for making such wise decisions for your life.

I hope this poem will be an encouragement for you.

Best wishes.

The Road Not Taken

Robert Frost

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,

And sorry I could not travel both

And be one traveler, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could

To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,

And having perhaps the better claim,

Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

Though as for that the passing there

Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay

In leaves no step had trodden black.

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.

If these comments come from someone you speak with regularly it might help to print this list out from last year's college board:

and4judge - DS#1 Furman University (attending), Sewanee - University of the South (accepted), Univerity of Alabama (accepted), University of Alabama in Birmingham (accepted), Birmingham- Southern College (accepted)

Blue Hen - ds - University of Delaware, Case Western Reserve, CO School of Mines, Drexel (PA), Lehigh(PA), Rose-Hulman, Tulane, RPI (NY), Stony Brook University --- all acceptances.

Brigid in NC - ds - accepted @ Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, North Carolina State (attending)

CherylG's ds-UCLA, graduated, UCSB, UCSD, Westmont, all accepted. UMD-attending for master's in engineering.

CherylG's dd-SBCC school of nursing-graduated.

CindyMarsch's dd#1 - Grove City College - attending

CindyMarsch's ds - Grove City College - attending

CindyMarsch's dd#2 - Grove City College, Gordon College, Union University - all accepted, she's choosing UU

CO Mom -dd- George Fox (will attend in fall of 2010); Taylor University, Northwest Nazarene University accepted.

Creekland's ds - Covenant College - attending fall 2010, Union University, Calvin College - acceptances

Deb in NZ's dd - Bay of Plenty Polytechnic (begin Feb 2010)

dkholland- ds - Covenant College (will attend in fall), Patrick Henry College (accepted) Grove City College (accepted)

FloridaLisa -- ds1: accepted to: University of Florida, Florida State University (attending)

Gwen in VA -- Washington & Lee (attending); acceptances from U Chicago, U Pitt, U Dallas, U Delaware, Hillsddale, UVA, William & Mary, College of Wooster, Case Western

Kate in FL-ds-Cornell University (accepted Early Decision so all other apps had to be withdrawn)

Kathy in Richmond - ds - MIT (attending), also accepted at Caltech, Carnegie Mellon, U Michigan, and UVA.

Kathy in Richmond - dd - accepted at Princeton, Stanford, MIT, Caltech, U Chicago, William & Mary, and wait-listed at Swarthmore

Katia - ds- Ellsworth Community College (AA Computer Science) , Anderson University-attended , University of Northern Iowa (BA Computer Science), Kansai Gaidai University, Kyoto, Japan-attended

Katia - dd#1- Hilldale College-attending , accepted at: Luther College, Ball State University, University of Northern Iowa, Oberlin College Conservatory of Music

Katia- dd#2 - applying to: Hillsdale College , Warner University (accepted)

Lady Lorna - dd accepted at Fordham University, Hillsdale College, The King's College, Middlebury College, St John's College, Thomas More College of Liberal Arts, Thomas Aquinas College, Trinity College. Waitlisted The University of Chicago. Still waiting to hear from Columbia University, Harvard University, Princeton University, Yale University

LaJuana - dd#1 University of Dallas - graduated Summa cum Laude. Also accepted to Hillsdale.

LaJuana - ds#1 University of Dallas - graduated Summa cum Laude. Also accepted to Hillsdale. Attending Westminster Theological Seminary (MDiv).

LaJuana dd#2 Attending Oklahoma City University Bass School of Music (Musical Theatre and Vocal Performance). Also accepted at Samford University (AL), Whitworth University (WA), George Fox University (OR), Covenant College (GA), Houghton College (NY), Oklahoma Christian University.

LaJuana ds#2 Attending Whitworth University. Also accepted at University of Dallas.

(Except for dd majoring in MT and VP, my dc knew where they wanted to go, applied to two schools only, and were accepted at both.)

Laughing Lioness - DS -Boyce College (KY) attending. Accepted to Augustana College (SD) and St. Mary's School of Nursing (SD).

Lisa in TN's dd - Vanderbilt University - attending. Also accepted to Hillsdale College, Belmont University, University of Memphis.

Lisa in TN's ds - Washington University in St. Louis - attending. Also accepted to the University of Pennsylvania, Duke University, Case Western Reserve University, University of Alabama, University of Tennessee.

Liza Q's dd - Saint Francis College - attending. Kings College, St. John's University, Brooklyn College - accepted

Luann in ID ds1 and ds2 - LeTourneau University - attending (They both knew they wanted to go there, so this is the only place they applied.)

Mandy in TN-- ds Berea College (attending beginning in Aug)

Margaret in CO--dd accepted to Western State College for dual credit, accepted to Hillsdale College, graduated, accepted to CU Boulder School of Music, finishing Master's

Margaret in CO--dd accepted to Western State College for dual credit, accepted to USNA, attending finishing Firstie Year, accepted to flight school, acceptances: Hillsdale College, USAFA, USCGA, ERAU (on NROTC), School of Mines

Margaret in CO--dd accepted to Western State College for dual credit

I'm going to stick my should-have-been-son-in-law (killed last spring), accepted to Hillsdale College, transferred to WVU, graduated, accepted to Toledo Medical College.

Mary in GA ds: Clayton State University (attended & transferred) Georgia Tech (attending)

Michelle in GA ds- University of Georgia (accepted); Berry College (accepted); Georgia Tech (currently attending)

Moira in MA dd -- Acceptances at Dalhousie U (Nova Scotia), McGill U (Montreal)

Mommyfaithe's dd #1 (accepted College of St. Rose (NY) attended Sage College Albany, NY Graduated Summa Cum Laude

Mommyfaithe's dd#2 Attending Russell Sage College. Accepted SUNY New

Paltz, SUNY Albany, waiting to hear from Simmons College in Boston Mass.

MSPolly's dd- Acceptances at Covenant(TN), Union U(TN), U of MS, Belhaven U(MS) - ATTENDING Collaborative Piano/Pedagogy major WAHOO!

Ms. Riding Hood ds1- MIT (attending), Texas A&M, Rose-Hulman, Purdue

Musicmom –ds- accepted at Carnegie Mellon (attending fall 2010), Cornell, University of Minnesota—Twin Cities Honors Program

Newbie -dd- Accepted Chatham University(PA), Carlow University(PA), Mills College

nrg - ds#1: attending BYU, accepted at Cal Tech, Stanford

ds#2: attending UC Santa Cruz, accepted BYU

ds#3: junior in hs

Osmosis Mom Dd 1, Wellesley College (attending), accepted to Merrimack College, BU, Simmons, Emmanuel College

Ruth in NC ds accepted St John in NM, Oberlin w/scholarship, Colorado College, Boston U, will attend UNC Chapel Hill, offered waitlist at Vanderbilt and Emory

Ruth in NC dd accepted NC State, UNC Asheville, Appalachian State and Earlham w/scholarship, on Oberlin waitlist. Still deciding.

Sharon in MD's ds-Drexel University -attending; UMBC-Meyerhoff program, UMD-College Park-College of Engineering, Messiah College- acceptances

Spock - ds – accepted at Liberty University (plans to transfer after attending CC for a year)

Susann-dd-Rose-Hulman, Purdue, University of Evansville, Trine, Taylor, Cedarville-acceptances

Susie-Knits ds1 - Valparaiso (attending), Rose-Hulman, U of Evansville, TN Tech - acceptances

TransientChris's DS- George Mason U,attending; Hillsdale College- attended, Abilene Christian, Hampden-Sydney, St. Olaf- accepted

Valerie(TX) - ds UT Arlington attended

Valerie(TX) - dd accepted Biola (CA), Messiah (PA), Belhaven (MS), Mary Baldwin College (VA), UTA (TX), Hardin-Simmons (TX), Univ. of Mary Hardin-Baylor (TX), and Ouachita (AR). ATTENDING--Hardin-Simmons

Outtamyshell - BYU Provo

It comes from this thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148369&page=6

As you can see, there are all sorts of college acceptances on there. ;)

Many people make comments based on stereotypes - not actual knowledge.

My nephew is in his mid-20s and gave us all a hard time about "how my kids are" and attributing it to homeschooling. This was just a few months ago (so my kids were 17 and 15 at the time). I personally don't see anything WRONG with being quiet, sweet, polite, kind, helpful, and not liking his music which had curse words every other word so we went outside. Also, their cousins mostly kept to themselves while my kids did the same. Not ideal, I understand, but the cousins go to public school so what happened about how socially capable they supposedly are? However, we later went to the beach with only one cousin and my son and his cousin had a great time. I also enjoyed chatting with him at one point.

At least MY kids knew not to point out the supposed shortcomings of other guests. And my kids knew not to point out his regular drunkenness. And my kids knew not to point out that you should watch your music selection when in mixed company. And my kids didn't point out that he can't keep a woman. And my kids didn't point out their cousins' awkwardness. And my kids used their manners. Maybe he needs to take some lessons from my kids!

(Note: I did defend a few things such as "funny how quiet kids in school aren't quiet BECAUSE of school, but my daughter is quiet BECAUSE she is homeschooled." I thought of some zingers, but I have enough class to keep quiet.)

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about anyone saying anything. If they bring up something you have a real concern about, then do something about that.

I would be EXTRA gracious when you do speak to someone. Don't get defensive and NEVER put down someone else to raise yourself up. You will PROVE your real social skills if you'll temper your response.

ETA: My daughter is THE first kid on either side of the family who could have considered top schools. She decided not to go that direction, but she had a pick of colleges. Homeschooling was probably a PLUS, not a ding, through that process.

Edited by 2J5M9K

My teenage sons sometimes get teased by their peers, usually it's because they don't get some cultural reference or know the latest fashions, they also get teased because they do get a literary reference (I think that's twisted :lol:). The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Try not to be defensive, I know it's difficult sometimes. :grouphug:

Yep, we've gotten it quite a bit...my mother asks me at least yearly if ds (9th grade, been hs'd since 1st) shows bipolar, agoraphobic, or sociopathic tendencies - because otherwise, why would he need to homeschool? And besides...if he went to ps, he could be "watched" for these and have "experts" there to help him. Good grief. He chose hs'ing, he loves it, and he already has colleges courting him. He now just rolls his eyes and watches TV while she grills me about all the emotional & mental disorders to watch for. :glare:

He's had kids who were jealous of him tell him his brain was broken because he homeschools...he's had adults show shock that he would talk to them, since he's homeschooled...and he's had people ask him if he knows how to talk to people outside his family (to which he points out that he is actually talking to them, right? So apparently he knows how to do so??). :lol: He really just shakes his head and walks on.

He and his friends have pretty funny conversations about this - they get the same questions. One of them finally just started being really sarcastic with the whole thing - someone will ask her or her mom something absurd like that, and she'll get a totally innocent look on her face and start going on and on about "Mom, remember yesterday when you let (her brother) and I go sit in the car and roll the windows down, and pretend we're gonna go somewhere, like for real? Can we do that again today??" or "Yeah, I see the pretty yellow bus going through by our house, and I press my face up against the window saying, 'please pretty bus, come get me too!!!' " It tends to make those comments stop pretty quickly ;)

There comes a point when you have to realize that some people are just plain ignorant. There are people that you can educate - they just honestly don't know what hs'ing is, but are open to learning about it - and there are those who actually CHOOSE to be ignorant. For those, the only thing you can smile, nod, and go on with your life. Let their ignorance serve as further motivation for you to not join their ranks. You're responsible for your actions, not theirs; and as much as it can suck sometimes, if they choose ignorance, all you can do is leave them to it and move on.

Keep on doing what you're doing - it's said that success is the best revenge :D You're doing a great job!

I'm convinced that much of this baloney comes from fear.

Last week, the local school had a half day, so there were many ps kids on the playground when our hs group met. The playground is right next to our clubhouse. My girls (7 and 8) invited a couple of kids to come see the paper mache projects they'd done earlier, and they got two steps inside the door when the kids suddenly decided they were too afraid to move 5 steps further to the table. :001_huh:

The rest is just ignorance. Ds's 9yo stepbrother told one dd she should go to school so she could have friends. She tried to tell him that she DOES have friends, but he wasn't buying it.

I assume the occasional comments will "mature" (relatively speaking) as they all get older, but will be rooted in the same fear/ignorance place.

If this makes you feel better...

My neighbor was homeschooled while it was still technically illegal in the state he lived in. He is now a neurosurgeon.

His wife did tell me that he got "teased" in med school, and during his residency, for being home educated.... but, he is a board certified neurosurgeon, at a pretty young age, and an awesome guy. So, does it matter?

Once you move on in your life, these things tend to matter less, and people usually make negative comments because of their narrow minds or some fault in their character...not because of you.

BTW, if you were at a brick and mortar school you would get WAY more grief than you do now. Who knows what the reason would be.

Well, I was home schooled too (for all but three years of high school), and I've home schooled my kids (oldest in 7th grade) for a while now. And no, I can honestly say I've never "been made fun of" for either of those. ... People have expressed ignorance or skepticism or curiosity. But no, I don't think I've ever been mocked and only very rarely have I encountered outright criticism.

There *have* been times when curiosity or skepticism or ignorance has been expressed with a tone that, initially, could have seemed like criticism. But patiently answering questions (about social experiences, about legality, about curriculum choices, about daily life) has given those people a greater understanding and their tones have changed. In some cases, I've even realized later in the conversation that those people who sounded hostile early on were considering home schooling for themselves. They were just so frightened that they sounded almost angry in the beginning.

Honestly, I think you should reconsider your own attitude when responding to questions. Don't assume that everything is meant as criticism. Don't become defensive as soon as someone asks you an ignorant or poorly thought out question. Just answer to the best of your ability. A brief answer is fine, and probably for the best until they reveal through more questions that they're genuinely curious, but don't get frustrated or offended that they have asked.

Over your lifetime, you'll make many choices that seem different than what many of those around you have chosen (and that's true *whatever* you choose). Being able to stand up for those choices with a smile is an important skill.

I have been over a hundred times and everyone doesn't seem to get what it is about! Adults love to say I'll never get into college that way, I am messing up my future, and I must be socially retarted or something. It makes me so mad when people say that to me or my family or my friends! But I keep my cool and just say, "I will be going places in my life, I have already completed a lot more than your kids have in their lives. I have the time to study, and don't get caught up in the things in life that isn't so important right now (like dating guys) or will never be important to me(drugs, etc.) So I know where I am going,, do your kids know where they are going?"

This makes them mad, and sometimes I will say other things that make people realize that being homeschooled is better than public school. My parents know what I am doing, I am always telling them where I am, and if I don't tell them they contact me for an undate, and I have to take a picture of the place I am at and send it to them so they know I am not lying. Most of the parents that have kids in ps don't even know what their kids are up to half the time! Sometimes these comments make me so angry!

Have you ever encountered people like this and been criticized for homeschooling your kids or being homeschooled?

I meant for homeschooling, not being homeschooled! I am just so used to saying that I am homeschooled, that I didn't even think about the title right! Sorry!

My kids have had this experience...but they will defend their right to be homeschooled to anyone who dares to challenge them. LOL. They think the entire educational system in this country is ridiculous and they are really happy they were/are homeschooled. My older ones wish they could have homeschooled right through college.

Be proud of who you are and where you are going. Don't allow other people to get under your skin and undermine your (and your parents) decisions.

It will be Ok

Faithe

Ingorance

Usually, the combination of large family and homeschooling brings out "Duggar" comments and jokes towards our family.

Kid next door tried to tell my kids that he doesn't believe they have any friends, because they aren't in public school (bwhahahaha!). Most of the kids in the neighbourhood have given us the "I wish I could be homeschooled" and "Is it legal for you to homeschool us also, because mom won't" type comments/questions.

Generally, people respond positively.

Edited by mommaduck

If this makes you feel better...

My neighbor was homeschooled while it was still technically illegal in the state he lived in. He is now a neurosurgeon.

His wife did tell me that he got "teased" in med school, and during his residency, for being home educated.... but, he is a board certified neurosurgeon, at a pretty young age, and an awesome guy. So, does it matter?

Once you move on in your life, these things tend to matter less, and people usually make negative comments because of their narrow minds or some fault in their character...not because of you.

BTW, if you were at a brick and mortar school you would get WAY more grief than you do now. Who knows what the reason would be.

My next door neighbor was also homeschooled from 2nd grade through high school, and he is now doing a prestigious fellowship in colorectal surgery at an extremely reputable hospital.

I would be EXTRA gracious when you do speak to someone. Don't get defensive and NEVER put down someone else to raise yourself up. You will PROVE your real social skills if you'll temper your response.

Right (but it's okay to think to yourself, "If ignorance is bliss, you must be ecstatic." ;))

My daughter, who turned 10 this month, has been told on two different occasions in recent months (once by neighborhood friends, once by kids in gymnastics class) that "you learn more in public school, you don't really learn anything being homeschooled!"

I've heard no negative comments from adults though, they all usually have positive things to say, or at least neutral.

:grouphug: No one has ever made fun of me for homeschooling my kids, but people have said some ignorant, uneducated assumptions to me (like about socialization, don't we need to take tests?, etc.). You are going against the mainstream grain early in life, which is hard but a wonderful preparation for life in general. When people make fun of you, just point them to the positive research about homeschooling. You can also calmly say that you don't make fun of their schooling option so they shouldn't make fun of yours. I'm sorry people are being unkind to you. Persevere and you will reach the prize!

My daughter, who turned 10 this month, has been told on two different occasions in recent months (once by neighborhood friends, once by kids in gymnastics class) that "you learn more in public school, you don't really learn anything being homeschooled!"

I've heard no negative comments from adults though, they all usually have positive things to say, or at least neutral.

:smilielol5: My oldest just went to private school this year (highschool). He sits in world history shaking his head half the time. Reformation - Martin Luther - classmate's question, "isn't that the black guy that started the civil rights movement?" Seriously?! My son can't believe what the other kids HAVEN'T learned!

Dear LuvingLife,

Best wishes.

The Road Not Taken

Robert Frost

I found your thread interesting.

I was talking with one of my literary analysis/apologetics students this past week on this very topic.

As Dh and I are homeschooling parents we have recieved this type of criticism from family members to people we have just met.

Our response is usually "We want Dd to have an excellant education, therefore we are doing it ourselves with homeschooling."

I have received criticism both ways. I was hsed when it was really not popular, and I now hs my children. Through the years I have developed a tough skin. Now I can just tell people that I was hsed so hsing my dc was an easy choice to make. That pretty much shuts them up. When I was a teen I would say,"Have you researched hsing, or is this just your opinion? If it's your opinion I suggest you do your research." I feel your pain. Be confident in your decision. Confidence speaks volumes to people.

My 18 yr old suggested that it's possible other teens are jealous of your freedom. My dd has a lot of free time to do those things which are most important to her when other kids are struggling to simply get a good night's sleep. Maybe it's a defense mechanism?

It might help if you know it's not about you, but rather their own insecurities. Secure people don't make fun of others.

Just tell them that you don't have time for this conversation because your parents don't let you off the chain in the basement very often.

(kidding)

I agree! Lol that's what people make it seem like all of the time, like I am not allowed to go out into the world or anything. There is a reason behind my parents madness, and I told someone that, they thought I was crazy!:)

My 18 yr old suggested that it's possible other teens are jealous of your freedom. My dd has a lot of free time to do those things which are most important to her when other kids are struggling to simply get a good night's sleep. Maybe it's a defense mechanism?

It might help if you know it's not about you, but rather their own insecurities. Secure people don't make fun of others.

You know what, that may just be it, and I think that's one of the reason's why I get made fun or people make nasty comments toward my parents. Alot of my friend's have actually asked my mom if she could homeschool them! But their parents didn't think they would get a good education, so they said no. I have a lot of free time just like you dd, and I like to relax and actually sleep, take some days of if needed and be able to catch up or go ahead if I wanted to. In ps, I was always inside a "box" and I could never speed up, and I couldn't slow down either. So hsing was the best option. Thank you!

In your shoes, I'm sure I'd be running off my mouth along the lines of, "Oh, I didn't realize you are a college admissions officer. Can I pick your brain for a minute???" ;)

:lol::lol:

Dear LuvingLife,

Best wishes.

The Road Not Taken

Robert Frost

Thank you so much for the poem Twigs! I reall appreciate you kind words and it makes me feel better. I love this poem, and I hope it not only helps me, but other people as well.:001_smile:

Thank you to eveyone else too, I always try to be calm and keep a clear mind when I hear comments like the ones I get. But I always appreciate the good comments as well and I always thank people for them!

Just the other day my mailman (awesome guy!) said he was very proud to see someone actually taking their education seriously and was glad that I am going to go to college right after high school. He thinks hsing is a good alternative to high school, and wished he had homeschooled his kids (now in college) as well. I told him thank you very much and I appreciate such nice comments.

People aren't all bad, but there are some rotten apples out there unfortunately!:tongue_smilie:

I think it is this. All my children have ever heard is how lucky they were. After all, how many kids wish that they didn't have to go to school.

Public school supporters love to bring up how socially awkward they think homeschooled children must be. Have you lurked on the public school teacher forums? They complain a lot about how the parents of their students don't seem to teach them any basic manners, or how to express themselves without four letter words, or how to keep their hands to themselves or how to solve problems without violence. They complain that the parents don't supervise their kids and let them behave however they want and then defend their 'right' to act like animals. They complain that the parents don't 'make' the kids take school seriously or force the kids to do their homework..........

So, who exactly is going to end up socially awkward?

Public school supporters love to bring up how socially awkward they think homeschooled children must be. Have you lurked on the public school teacher forums? They complain a lot about how the parents of their students don't seem to teach them any basic manners, or how to express themselves without four letter words, or how to keep their hands to themselves or how to solve problems without violence. They complain that the parents don't supervise their kids and let them behave however they want and then defend their 'right' to act like animals. They complain that the parents don't 'make' the kids take school seriously or force the kids to do their homework..........

So, who exactly is going to end up socially awkward?

That's exactly the right response. I agree with you 100%, homeschooling I think is a good way to learn, and is much better than ps! Thank you for putting my thoughts into words.