Menu

North America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, Antarctica and...

What is the 7th Continent?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What is the 7th Continent?

• Oceania
    • Australia
    • Other

What is the "other" continent at your house?

We were supposed to learn this for school (First Grade) but they asked us to teach the 7 continents without naming them and I'm afraid we taught it the "home-school" way :D

Poll to follow.

Edited by Spy Car

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it is Australia...but then again, I am still arguing about Pluto being a planet, because if it isn't then My Very Educated Mother Just Taught Us Nothing. (not nine planets) AAAHHHHH!!! It just screws me all up...KWIM?

I would probably tell them we called it Australia, but it is now named Oceania. Sort of like Istanbul was Constantinople...:D

~~Faithe

I always thought it was Australia until I moved to Europe. The students I had there called it Oceania and I think that makes so much more sense, so that's what we've taken to calling it too.

See I thought Oceania which is the way all the cool home-educators were doing it this, but when quizzed in class the response:Oceania!

Caused a *blink*blink* what's that? response.

Fortunately he had the presence of mind to say: Australia.

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

It really depends on your definition of a continent. If you are using the definition of a land mass, then Australia.

We were taught in Australia that Australia is the only continent that is both a country and a continent at the same time.

Personally I am not happy about all the pacific Islands being pushed into the continent of Australia , But I could be bias

It really depends on your definition of a continent. If you are using the definition of a land mass, then Australia.

We were taught in Australia that Australia is the only continent that is both a country and a continent at the same time.

Personally I am not happy about all the pacific Islands being pushed into the continent of Australia , But I could be bias

I agree and I'm not from Australia... so I also say you're not blinded by bias ;)

Australia, but then i am with the Pluto is still a planet club.:tongue_smilie:

:iagree:

I teach Oceania as the continent, but our geography song says Australia.

That's where my husband is currently and all his airline paper work calls it Australia. I'm hoping the airlines know where he's going to and where he's returning from on his travels.

As a country, it is Australia. When DH flies to Korea it says "Korea," not "Asia."

I refuse to acknowledge Pluto's "demotion".

I have a friend who is an astrophysicist. She helps make the "Ask an Astronomer" videos.

. I see their point. We still learn the song that includes planet, but we have talked about Pluto being demoted.

I have a friend who is an astrophysicist. She helps make the "Ask an Astronomer" videos.
. I see their point. We still learn the song that includes planet, but we have talked about Pluto being demoted.

OK, I understand better, but I'm still pouting. Harrumph. :glare:

I'm so out of it that this is the first I've heard of "Oceania". Arrgh....

DD's been listening to the "Continent Song" and it says Australia so that's what we're going with for now.

I refuse to acknowledge Pluto's "demotion".

I have not heard of Oceania.:001_huh: Our Geo Song also says Australia and yes, Pluto is a planet!

I have not heard of Oceania.:001_huh: Our Geo Song also says Australia and yes, Pluto is a planet!

We sing the continents song with Geography Songs, so we learned Australia. As a land mass, that is probably appropriate, anyway. We've discussed Oceania, though.

But to me, calling it Australia is like calling the continent of North America the United States. North America includes Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, Greenland, Hawaii, etc. The continent of Oceania/Australia is not one landmass, it includes Australia, Fiji, New Zealand, Samoa, Tonga, etc.

But to me, calling it Australia is like calling the continent of North America the United States. North America includes Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, Greenland, Hawaii, etc. The continent of Oceania/Australia is not one landmass, it includes Australia, Fiji, New Zealand, Samoa, Tonga, etc.

Fiji, New Zealand, Samoa, Tonga are not included in any continents, they are the Pacific Islands. They are not connected to Australia by any land mass.

You could use the terms Australasia or Oceania for a regional area, but not for a continent.

Fiji, New Zealand, Samoa, Tonga are not included in any continents, they are the Pacific Islands. They are not connected to Australia by any land mass.

You could use the terms Australasia or Oceania for a regional area, but not for a continent.

So is Japan not a part of Asia, or the UK and Ireland not part of Europe? In "continental" terms anyway (since they obviously are in a geo-p*litical sense).

Bill

I don't really like all the islands being compacted in, either, because if you're going to do that, then you need to compress every other island in the world into a grouping with one of the other continents, too....

I use Australia for the continent, and Oceania for the geographic area. So, I say Oceania includes the continent of Australia, and also, New Zealand, the Pacific Islands, etc.

I'm not making stuff up, people. Continents do NOT have to be one connected land mass. Hawaii and Greenland ARE part of the North American continent as far as geography is concerned. New Zealand IS part of the Australia/Oceania continent. New Zealand is NOT its own continent! Japan is NOT its own continent, it is part of Asia! ALSO, Europe and Asia are *different* continents even though they are part of the same landmass.

These are not debatable points! Sure, Oceania v. Australia, that is debatable. Whether or not New Zealand is its own continent? Not debatable. It just isn't.

What about Japan and the Britain and Ireland? Same deal?

Bill

No, not the same deal. I was always taught that Japan was part of the Asian continent, and Britain and Ireland were part of the European continent, but Australia was the continent and country. I did not realize that the Pacific Islands and New Zealand belonged to a continent. I always thought they were just continent-less...at least that is what were taught (in Canada, back in the day), I'm probably totally wrong because I still refuse to give Pluto up as a planet.

In Moby Dick, Melville referred to the 4 continents. :) If 4 is good enough for Melville, 4 is good enough for me.

"And meet it is, that over these sea-pastures, wide-rolling watery prairies and Potters’ Fields of all four continents, the waves should rise and fall, and ebb and flow unceasingly; for here, millions of mixed shades and shadows, drowned dreams, somnambulisms, reveries; all that we call lives and souls, lie dreaming, dreaming, still; tossing like slumberers in their beds; the ever-rolling waves but made so by their restlessness."

In Moby Dick, Melville referred to the 4 continents. :) If 4 is good enough for Melville, 4 is good enough for me.

"And meet it is, that over these sea-pastures, wide-rolling watery prairies and Potters’ Fields of all four continents, the waves should rise and fall, and ebb and flow unceasingly; for here, millions of mixed shades and shadows, drowned dreams, somnambulisms, reveries; all that we call lives and souls, lie dreaming, dreaming, still; tossing like slumberers in their beds; the ever-rolling waves but made so by their restlessness."

And The Bible says that the sun revolves around the Earth. Galileo got in trouble with the church for daring to suggest otherwise. Modern understandings of science lead to different definitions. ;)

And The Bible says that the sun revolves around the Earth. Galileo got in trouble with the church for daring to suggest otherwise. Modern understandings of science lead to different definitions. ;)

Oh say it isn't so. ;)

And I'm planning to teach my kids four continents - just as soon as I figure out what they are/were. I have however heard that some people are taught that North and South America are just a single continent. :)

For me Melville trumps science. Sorry Mrs Mungo :D

Bill

We call it Australia here. And my ds is also upset that Pluto is no longer classified as a planet. :D

Cinder

:iagree:, but I'm the one most upset about Pluto. Pluto will always be a planet to me. My dd learned the planets from the Blue's Clues song. You can't sing it if you don't name Pluto because it won't rhyme!

My bil works for Lowell Observatory where Pluto was discovered. We're solidly in the "Pluto is a planet, not a dwarf, camp." :-)

I guess I live in the dark ages. When I taught social studies some...mrhmrph years ago...I spent 6 weeks trying to get the kids to remember the 7 continents. Australia was one of those 7. I'm too old to learn a new list. :-)

I think it is Australia...but then again, I am still arguing about Pluto being a planet, because if it isn't then My Very Educated Mother Just Taught Us Nothing. (not nine planets) AAAHHHHH!!! It just screws me all up...KWIM?

I would probably tell them we called it Australia, but it is now named Oceania. Sort of like Istanbul was Constantinople...:D

~~Faithe

I think it was just domoted to Dwarf Planet. Planet however is in its name.

I use Australia for the continent, and Oceania for the geographic area. So, I say Oceania includes the continent of Australia, and also, New Zealand, the Pacific Islands, etc.

But my understanding is that there is no clear definition of "continent" in geographic terms. There's consensus, but disagreements. I teach that there's only 6 - Eurasia.