Menu

North America, South America, Africa, Europe, Asia, Antarctica and...

What is the 7th Continent?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What is the 7th Continent?

• Oceania
    • Australia
    • Other

I would probably tell them we called it Australia, but it is now named Oceania. Sort of like Istanbul was Constantinople...:D

No, it's more like Constantinople being Asia Minor.

Personally I am not happy about all the pacific Islands being pushed into the continent of Australia , But I could be bias

They don't seem to like it either. Particularly the New Zealanders ;) But they needn't worry. We don't want 'em. They talk funny. :tongue_smilie:

Let's ask the Kiwis

They agree with us. They don't want us either :D

You guys gotta remember, we're "Downunder" so are allowed to do things our own way :tongue_smilie:

So is Japan not a part of Asia, or the UK and Ireland not part of Europe? In "continental" terms anyway (since they obviously are in a geo-p*litical sense).
But, I think in current use the term "continent" is basically shorthand for geographical region.

I think we have one word being used in different ways, as a scientific term and as a geographical/cultural term?

Whether or not New Zealand is its own continent? Not debatable. It just isn't.

Who says that? Not even the New Zealanders call themselves a continent. I rekon they like the stealthy feeling of lurking out there, continent-less. :tongue_smilie:

i hadn't heard of oceania either until this thread. also how is it pronounced?

oh shee yah nee yuh

oh shen ee yuh

oh shen yuh

oh shee yah nyuh

That depends which school you went to.

Traditionally, Britain and Ireland didn't consider themselves part of the continent of Europe (hence references to the rest of Europe as "The Continent"), and despite the EU, Brits still make a cultural distinction between themselves and "continental" Europeans.

Yeah, but the Brits go on holidays to "The" continent. We don't go to the Pacific Islands for holidays, we go to Bali. That's the difference :lol:

Australasia is the continent, including Australia and the bits that are joined on underneath (that wasn't very technical but ykwim).

Where did you go to school? I always thought Australasia meant Australia and Southeast Asia.

Australia is a bit of an enigma, because it's believed that Australia and Papua New Guinea (PNG) were settled around the same time (50-60K years ago),

Current estimates are sitting up around 100K years ago.

then the next logical jump is that we only have one ocean. All of the oceans are, after all, connected.

I'd drink (more Bundaberg ginger beer) to that.

Sometimes I wonder why they spend so much time reclassifying stuff we already know instead of trying to learn about new things that we don't know yet.

:iagree: Some one pass me another ginger beer!

Rosie

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's why I think people should drop the term "continent" and replace it with "geographic region," and that the term "continental plate" should be used strictly in the geological sense — because that does fit the proper definition of terra continens.

Jackie

Except wouldn't terra continens mean that America is one single continent and Africa-Europe-Asia is also one single continent, as both are formed of one continuous land-mass (excluding the man-made breaches of the Panama and Suez canals)?

Bill

Except wouldn't terra continens mean that America is one single continent and Africa-Europe-Asia is also one single continent, as both are formed of one continuous land-mass (excluding the man-made breaches of the Panama and Suez canals)?

Bill

It's not even 1 pm and I'm being driven to drink.

I'm also starting to think if America is one continent, and Africa-Europe-Asia is a continent, and Antartica is a continent, and Oceania/Australia is a continent, then there are 4 continents.

Which means Melville was correct all along.

Thar she blows! :D

Bill

I will just stick with my longboard from the continent of Oahu (can't even be Hawaii, we're not connected to Hawaii you know).

If everything else gets to be continents based on arbitrary rules they made up so does Missouri. It not connected to its surrounding states politically because it is a swing state.

Doesn't Indonesia have thousands of islands. Who would think it would have the most continents?

Edited by Sis

I am still kicking it old school: We have nine planets including Pluto, seven continents including Australia, and only four oceans - Atlantic, Pacific, Indian and Artic.

Sometimes I wonder why they spend so much time reclassifying stuff we already know instead of trying to learn about new things that we don't know yet.

:iagree:We were studying sea creatures one year. I found out they disagree over the sceinific classification of seahorses. They nearly drove me to drink.;)

It was my first year homeschooling and the pressure I put on myself to teach my girls the correct information was extreme.:lol:

If everything else gets to be continents based on arbitrary rules they made up so does Missouri. It not connected to its surrounding states politically because it is a swing state.

Actually, I have discovered I only have firerock, it is a transport to the continent of Oahu from the continent of Hawaii. And, I think your reasoning is as good as any other at this point. Let's just all make up our own rules.

I've never heard of Australasia. However, we deal with Eurasia. I no longer teach there's Europe and Asia, as two contients, but there's Eurasia!

Europe and Asia are regions, usually based on historical and political reasons..

What about Africa? It is connected to Eurasia (exept for the intervention of man) why not Eurasiafrica?

Bill

I should run and hide after this, but when did they rename Australia, "Oceania?"

Good question. I went to Wikipedia since it would be the fastest and a good starting point:

The term "Oceania" was coined in 1831 by French explorer Dumont d'Urville.[dubious – discuss] The term is also sometimes used to denote a continent comprising Australia and proximate Pacific islands,[2][3][4][5] and is one of eight terrestrial ecozones.

THis has been one fascinating discussion!

Bill

Well, many countries still do consider "The Americas" to be a single continent — including, ironically, most of the countries in "South" America. This idea was apparently also common in the US until WWII. Perhaps the development of plate tectonics led to the distinction between North and South America, since they're on different plates.

Geologically, the seven major plates are:

North American

South American

Pacific (does NOT include Australia or most of Melanesia)

African

Eurasian

Australian-Indian (includes most of Melanesia and half of NZ)

Antarctic

I couldn't find any sources that indicate where (or if) the 4-continent model (Afro-Eurasia, Americas, Antarctica, and Australia) is actually being taught as standard.

Jackie

I should run and hide after this, but when did they rename Australia, "Oceania?"

No one renamed the country of Australia. Some people, in some countries, have apparently decided that Australia alone does not constitute a continent and therefore we should incorporate all of the Pacific islands in the regions known as Polynesia, Melanesia, and Micronesia (including PNG & NZ) into a gigantic, fragmentary "continent" called Oceania. (Sometimes also called the continent of "Australia & Oceania.")

And some of us think it's a stupid idea that will only increase geographical confusion. :tongue_smilie:

ETA: I can't find any reference to when, and by whom, it was decided that the region of Oceania should be combined with the continent of Australia, to form the new continent of Oceania. If anyone has a source for this, please link it! I'm also curious if this is the standard in US textbooks now?

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

Well, many countries still do consider "The Americas" to be a single continent — including, ironically, most of the countries in "South" America. This idea was apparently also common in the US until WWII. Perhaps the development of plate tectonics led to the distinction between North and South America, since they're on different plates.

Geologically, the seven major plates are:

North American

South American

Pacific (does NOT include Australia or most of Melanesia)

African

Eurasian

Australian-Indian (includes most of Melanesia and half of NZ)

Antarctic

I couldn't find any sources that indicate where (or if) the 4-continent model (Afro-Eurasia, Americas, Antarctica, and Australia) is actually being taught as standard.

Jackie

I think *I* may start teaching Eurasiafrica, America, Antartica and Indiaustralia/Oceanindia. Still working out the last one :D

Bill

Australia is the continent.

Let's ask the Kiwis ;) :D

Bill

This Kiwi, and I see the other Kiwi's, say that NZ is not part of any continent. It is part of the geographical region of Oceania, but it's loud and proud continent-less.:D

Fiji, New Zealand, Samoa, Tonga are not included in any continents, they are the Pacific Islands. They are not connected to Australia by any land mass.

You could use the terms Australasia or Oceania for a regional area, but not for a continent.

No Idea , but I hate Oceania ... I actually strongly dislike Australasia as well.

Melissa rulz.

I'm not making stuff up, people. Continents do NOT have to be one connected land mass. Hawaii and Greenland ARE part of the North American continent as far as geography is concerned. New Zealand IS part of the Australia/Oceania continent. New Zealand is NOT its own continent! Japan is NOT its own continent, it is part of Asia! ALSO, Europe and Asia are *different* continents even though they are part of the same landmass.

These are not debatable points! Sure, Oceania v. Australia, that is debatable. Whether or not New Zealand is its own continent? Not debatable. It just isn't.

NZ and Australia are not part of the same landmass. NZ is not it's own continent, it's an island. It's not part of any continent. Why does every island have to belong to a continent?

Oceania is not a continent. It's just a way of descibing a certain part of the world that the northern hemisphere tends to forget is down here- and bunch us all together. Oceania is made up of a bunch of islands including the CONTINENT of Australia (which is just a big island- big enough to be called a continent).

I think the whole Oceania thing is just political. Most of us in Australia relate to being Australians, not Oceanians.

But if you are talking parts of the world rather than continents...well, I can go with Oceania for that, geographically speaking.

What she said.

New Zealand chiming in here.

New Zealand is NOT part of Australia.....

We are independent of any continent. We just are. Mind you geographically half the country is setting off towards Australia (continent) and the other half is heading towards Antarctica, (another continent)!

The middle of the south is just wobbling about of course.

Willow.

'sright. We are special, that's what we are (I mean I know I live on West Island, but I'm a North Islander, loud and proud)

Well, according to the the USGS, NASA and the IAU--these are the continents (even if it's not how I teach):

Continents

Africa (AF) Antarctica (AN) Asia (AS) Europe (EU) North America (NA) Oceania (OC) South and Central America (SA)

Their website here.

Are they NZers or Australians? No. So their opinion on the matter does not count. ;)

Please don't give us any of this Association Football crud, it is all about Rugby League and Rugby Union groupings :D

Bill :tongue_smilie:

Oh Bill, when will you learn, League is for bogans, the only true sport is Union :D

I agree with NEARLY all what you said, but THIS has me coughing loudly!!

She had to move here because her North Island wasn't big enough to keep her sheep in. Watch out, she'll be sending them down your way once her backyard has filled up.

:tongue_smilie:

Rosie