Menu

What curriculum would you have if you lived in your perfect world

TracyR

where you could actually afford it ?

For me it would be Sonlight as our Core for History and Science .

Then for the other subjects :

LA :

Writing Tales ( which we have right now anyways )

and Growing with Grammar

Math :

Oldest : Bob Jones

Middle : CLE math

Third : either Bob Jones or CLE ( not sure yet of her learning style )

Language : Either French or Latin

PE: my girls are in competitive swimming and other sports so no issues there .

That is what I would do in my perfect world . Now only if I could afford it . Sigh .

I would love a Secular Sonlight with really good comprehension questions and about half the projects that Winterpromise has (and they'd all be very easy to do and clean up!). The coordinating LA would not require much handwriting until 2nd grade and have several levels of readers for each grade so you could customize for each child. They would all tie in to the core curriculum.

I can dream!!!

Tracy, our budget for homeschooling has always been a bit open-ended, as some people's is, and we use a literature approach for history, which is what I think you're dreaming of with SL. For me more money means more books, but that's not to say no means no books! It just means you have to search more, use the library, hunt used sales, etc. What core are you dreaming of for SL? Core 3? (just guessing based on the ages of your kids) You could use the Abeka4 history text as a spine, spread it out over two years, and fill in with the SL books that you find at the library. That would cost you maybe $20 (you can get the Abeka4 set used on ebay) and would be a ton of fun, just as fun as SL. SL is great, tried it myself and really liked certain things about it, but it's NOT the be-all, end-all. Find your substitute and move on if you can't find it affordably. The SL science is fine, but nothing amazing. Personally I think the BJU science is a lot better, or try some Apologia books or MWS. You need to get connected to people selling used stuff so you can find things in your price range. If it's killing you that you can't have the romantic, literature-based approach of SL (which I REPEAT is NOT all it's cracked up to be), then go to the library and get some books and DO it! There's nothing magical about the particular selections SL uses. You could get any Usborne book and read through it together and look up projects online or do the ones in the book. Same thing for the One Small Square series, which has engaging text and projects and would be in your library. You can have the approach you're wanting on your budget. I think there's a book to that effect even: homeschooling on a shoestring.

Yes. It's been a while since I traditionally homeschooled . We've been with a cyberschool for 3 yrs now and I'm Calvert out . Not complaining about the cyberschool. They've been wonderful . Just we all can't take another year of Calvert curriculum . My heart is in traditional homeschooling . It really is .

Sometime ago I did use Sonlight . We did their K program . I used to get the books used from the Sonlight used boards . It was just so much easier to get them off the board. But Sonlight's formus are no longer open to the public anymore . We did enjoy it that year. Of course I had to tweak it a bit . But we enjoyed it .

I do like the literature approach though . We're finishing CHOW right now and I've found myself doing " my thing" with it . And we are just enjoying it much more that way . My girls are begging me to go back to 'regular' homeschooling . I'm finding that I'm starting a bit over now , looking for curriculum , how much is this going to cost! anxiety .

I'm sure I'll be able to get it together though :>) Thanks for all of the ideas .

is to have an all Canadian version of Oak Meadow. It would have more instruction on drawing and painting throughout every level, more literature (although the TG's have loads of extra suggestions already), and it would use Saxon math instead (because my ds is finally having success with and gaining confidence in his math with Saxon).

I think I would go for k12 as an independent buyer for my son (ds7). That way I could customize the math to his level, the language to his level and the science/history to his level (those would all be different levels).

Then I would do University of Missouri distance classes for my daughter (dd9).

And finally I would get a really fun prek/k program for my little son (ds almost4). I don't know which but he would have one.

In my mind I know what this is but it is very hard to get it on "paper". I want something that uses the Socratic Method of teaching for all the disciplines and math, science, grammar, history, geography, art, music are inter-connected. Grammar would be done in the literature of the science reading, living math reading, history reading, geography reading and the geography would be connected to what's going on in history and music and art would be studied during history and grammar would be done there as well...and somehow Latin and French would be in there too. Something very similar to the Principle Approach (NOAH Plan) but with a broader base. Is that out there????

I *think* I have found, at last, the majority of the curricula that will work with my dc. That, to me, is as "perfect" as it is going to get! My only wish would be that there existed one perfect math curriculum that all of my dc could use and with which they could be successful. I'm still searching for it. It doesn't exist. :glare:

Next year will go more smoothly than this year. My "perfect" curricula for next year is:

WT 1 & 2, MFW ECC, LLATL, Apologia Zoo. 1, GWG5 (IF we can afford it since we already have R&S5), LL7

The curricula that is "iffy" is:

AAS, Simply Spelling, SWO (all spelling!), MUS (I'm still on the fence as to whether this was a good switch), FLL 3/R&S3 (not sure which is going to work best), LC1 (I'm just nervous!)

Well, I do use sonlight for core and history, I just have to find it used most of the time.:glare:

In a perfect world I would be able to find a math curriculum that agreed with my ds. Singapore was great, he loved it! But looks like upper level math is going to be a different story. He did not like Saxon this year so now I'm trying to decide on a good pre-algebra program.

Our perfect year for next year looks like this:

Sonlight core 6 with SOTW activity guides and tests added for History. When we get to the Middle ages portion I will be adding the Middle Ages craft set and book that winterpromise sells. If my world were perfect I would be able to afford mfw ctg to put more of a Biblical perspective on the ancients.

Science we will be using sonlight science 6. I have seen good and bad reviews on this but if things don't work out I have an apologia General science set on hand that a df handed down to us.

Spelling, we will use Spelling Workout. I am so glad to have finally found a spelling program that works for us this year.

Vocabulary we will use WW book 3, another keeper for us.

Language we will be using sonlight language 6 for the writing assignments and also Key to Good Language 6 for more grammar.

Math, looks like we may be using BJU pre-algebra, if I don't like the looks of that we will probably have to use Saxon 1/2 as I don't think I can afford teaching Textbooks.

For art we are using God and the History of Art. I am very excited about this! This was one of my dream curricula but I just happened to find a really nice set with all the art supplies included on the used forum here, It is in brand spanky new shape and still has that new curriculum smell.;) Can't wait to get started on this with ds. We will probably do a couple of Visual Manna classes too. We live very close to the Jeffus family so all day art classes are offered with our homeschool group or at the library several times a year. They are so much fun, last time we made like 10 projects! I took the class too as I love art and dd played hooky from ps.

Bible, we will be using Regarding God's Awesome Acts which we didn't have time for with sonlight core 5 so I saved it. This looks really good and should go along with the ancients well. Only problem is it will be giving us a double dose of art but that's ok.

I would love a Secular Sonlight with really good comprehension questions and about half the projects that Winterpromise has (and they'd all be very easy to do and clean up!). The coordinating LA would not require much handwriting until 2nd grade and have several levels of readers for each grade so you could customize for each child. They would all tie in to the core curriculum.

I can dream!!!

I'd like the same, but with the readers and read alouds more "on age level", rather than too advanced, like so many of Sonlight's books are.

Michelle T

I really am happy with what we are using right now. But, we have to use the library a lot. It would be really nice to have a couple of hundred to drop on books and art supplies every month and a really nice full-color laser printer.

I would love a Christian based Waldorf Curriculum though.

unfortunately my budget does not allow for it so we make do with more affordable options.
Oops, I forgot to add... have you checked with your local public schools to see if they are part of EPGY's Schools Program? Often homeschooling families can participate and the tuition is a fraction of what EPGY usually costs.

I adore TOG but I would want it to include multiple choices for math and schedule them in, and provide manipulatives & games.

I would love TOG to be all subjects, sort of curricula in a box but with options. You choose your math, foreign language, etc. with the exception of science and I'll say why in a minute.

You could custom-pick your combination of products and they would supply everything for you. That would be pretty fabulous in my opinion, I don't know if I could handle TOG going to a scheduled out for you product without tweaking it but it would be nice to have more subjects covered. Poetry memorization, non-denominational Bible studies incorporated within each year plan, copywork in varying levels and more paper crafts (I love them!).

Writing Aids would be expanded to include studied dictation exercises and a daily schedule laid out for each level outside of the TOG year plans.

Dream Science Curricula.

I want a true living book, including literary science, curricula that comes across as gentle but the academics are rigorous with nature studies and easy to do experiments. Multi-level, solid in science concepts, yet everything provided for a parent and the nature studies could be zoned to your physical locale. A bonus would be a DVD set that accompanies the program for visual stimuli. I've been able to create this at home but if it was available for purchase I would buy it.

Only in my dreams...

Dream Science Curricula.[/i]

I want a true living book, including literary science, curricula that comes across as gentle but the academics are rigorous with nature studies and easy to do experiments. Multi-level, solid in science concepts, yet everything provided for a parent and the nature studies could be zoned to your physical locale.

Like The Handbook of Nature Study on steroids? I like that, Jessica! Get to work on it, 'k? ;) :D

In my perfect homeschooling world, I would do TOG for history. 2 3 week trips per year to places of historical interest based on what we studied in TOG and art history that half year. LLLOTR for literature this year, and TWTM/TWEM other years. German immersion 3 weeks per year during the summer--a mix of Concordia Village and actual stays in German-speaking countries. The beta tested grammar from IEW that never got finished for grammar. Saxon math, but switching to Video Text at pre-algebra, but with some practice problems from another curriculum. Classical Writing AND Writer's Jungle for writing. Piano as well as chorus. Hiking as well as Upward Basketball and Couch Potato to 5 K for PE. Concordia for Bible.

Truthfully, though, I am really happy with what we are doing.

Tracy, our budget for homeschooling has always been a bit open-ended, as some people's is, and we use a literature approach for history, which is what I think you're dreaming of with SL. For me more money means more books, but that's not to say no means no books! It just means you have to search more, use the library, hunt used sales, etc. What core are you dreaming of for SL? Core 3? (just guessing based on the ages of your kids) You could use the Abeka4 history text as a spine, spread it out over two years, and fill in with the SL books that you find at the library. That would cost you maybe $20 (you can get the Abeka4 set used on ebay) and would be a ton of fun, just as fun as SL. SL is great, tried it myself and really liked certain things about it, but it's NOT the be-all, end-all. Find your substitute and move on if you can't find it affordably. The SL science is fine, but nothing amazing. Personally I think the BJU science is a lot better, or try some Apologia books or MWS. You need to get connected to people selling used stuff so you can find things in your price range. If it's killing you that you can't have the romantic, literature-based approach of SL (which I REPEAT is NOT all it's cracked up to be), then go to the library and get some books and DO it! There's nothing magical about the particular selections SL uses. You could get any Usborne book and read through it together and look up projects online or do the ones in the book. Same thing for the One Small Square series, which has engaging text and projects and would be in your library. You can have the approach you're wanting on your budget. I think there's a book to that effect even: homeschooling on a shoestring.

HI,

I'm interested in your idea of using the Abeka text and filling in with SL library books. I'm looking at starting Ancient History next year with DS.

I thought of using the Abeka 6th grade history text for a spine. If I were to fill in with library books, shoud we read a chapter from the Abeka "First", then get a historical fiction from the library, or am I doing it backwards?:confused:

Can you please help!

Thanks so much for your idea & help!

Mine would have at least these things:

A Catholic Latin Curriculum, just for younger boys which would teach them the parts of the mass and how to serve.

A girls home economics program geared for Catholic girls, it would definately teach how to make altar linens and chapel veils.

Lastly, a completely Catholic history program with no modernistic/liberal influence. The student would not study American History every single year, but World History through a Catholic lens.

An organ program for sacred music geared towards children would be great too.

;)

I started out with SL, loved it, but decided we wanted to go more WTM, so this year I'm working on a new PERFECT curriculum mix! I would guess that after I learn more about me and about hs and about how my kids learn, that next year I'll have a new PERFECT curriculum.

Since we're studying MFW ECC next year, if money and time were NOT an object...we'd travel to all the countries of study to really experience the culture first-hand! I can dream, can't I? :D AND, I'd hire a Spanish tutor to come to our house and just converse with us a few times each week. AND, I'd hire a prof. organizer to get me organized, a maid to keep my house clean so I could just enjoy being w/ my kids and hsing and... Oh, it hurts to dream so much!

I really like TOG. If I could, I would have grammar somehow incorporated into the program so it was more tied into the things we are already studying and I would tweak their writing a bit. Honestly, I'm pretty happy with what we are doing right now.

What is this? It's driving me nuts trying to figure it out. :confused:

EPGY stands for Educational Program for Gifted Youth. It's run by Stanford and offers challenging math, science, and language courses. Some courses are college level.

Jean, to answer your question about using a text as a spine and adding literature, yes, that's how you would do it. I have abeka4, which is why I suggested it. I've only seen a REALLY OLD version of the abeka6 (my dh's in fact, hehe!), so I don't know what it's like. You might also look at the VP history cards, since they are awesome for ancients, very thorough and easy to use. Whether you use a textbook or cards or what as the spine, as you say, the easiest way is to have the spine reading, discuss, then dig into a pile or basket of books and activities the rest of the week. With a student his age, I'd then have a writing assignment to follow it up.

Ooooh....

I'd try out Stanford Educational Program for Gifted Youth for primary math.

EMACS classes for middle grades and secondary math. (I'm also magically moving these within driving range!)

Center for Talented Youth summer programs, PLUS Concordia PLUS a regular "outdoorsy" summer camp PLUS studying in Italy when studying the Renaissance, etc. *g*

Violin and later piano lessons every day of the week--for "practice" sessions as well as regular lesson times--from really excellent teachers.

Native speakers who are experienced teachers for each foreign language, for one-on-one tutoring.

For English, I'd try out All About Spelling, but I think the overhead might be too much, so I wouldn't change much of anything. *g* Since I've been a copy editor and I am currently a novelist, this is one of my strengths. I'd BUY all the great books we read, though.

For history...I guess I wouldn't change much there, either! I'd buy a LOT more books, but that's really it. I'd actually buy all the Jackdaws kits instead of printing stuff off. I'd get cute artsy packs that really aren't usually worth the money, like the Treasure Chest series and others like it. Field trips around the world (of course). We'd have an awesome collection of historical and modern maps, too.

For science......oh, science! I'd have a real lab in the house with a vent hood and everything. I'd get ALL the Delta Education science kits as well as about half the stock of discoverthis.com. Our microscope would be awesome, and each kid would have his own binoculars, AND we'd have a great microscope and telescope and all that stuff. Lots of CTY stuff, etc. Our main curriculum would stay the same, but again--field trips!

For art, we'd have a kiln and a real art studio and all that kind of stuff. *g*

MFW for the little kids (at least K and 1)

Winter Promise for ancient and medeival history. (We're already using MOH.)

And we're already using MUS and R&S.

Switched on Schoolhouse for science, at least as supplement. I'd like to try God's Design series, and probably will next year if I can find a good used price on it.

Something for Spanish, not sure what though. Haven't looked at much that's not in my current budget, so I'm not sure what's out there. (Muzzy and Power-Glide are the two that come to mind.)

And lots and lots and lots of living books, especially for history and science.

creative wishes! I 2nd mamagistra's idea - buy it all and bless others with what I don't use (but chances are I would think "well.... I might need it *some* day, LOL). I would also love a Spanish speaking woman to come into our home 1 day a week (dh has often mentioned this). I would REALLY love a fulltime chef!

After that I would like to afford chess lessons with a grandmaster on a regular basis instead of just sporadically.

And the idea of spending on books and art supplies (and that color laser printer) every month without budget restraints is great too!

And while we're dreaming, how about a redesign of my sons' bedroom with a new desk for those times they wants to do school work in a quieter place?

Well, I'm not very creative - I like everyone else's ideas, so keep 'em coming!

I would love to totally follow the Latin Centered Approach and use all of Memoria Presses curriculum but they don't appeal to my pencil-phobic, visual spatial learner who likes lots of pictures and diagrams with very little writing and learns best from video and the computer. They are also a bit dry.

So we adapt and have found a wonderful place where we try to do a similiar course of study but using curriculum that appeals to my dc.

It would be great if Singapore Math made Latin, English and history books as great as their math and science. But it looks like Galore Park may come close so we will see. Curriculum like Singapore Math really appeals to my oldest's learning style.

Now for my youngest, she likes gentle, slow, sweet, story based curriculum. She's doing very well with Rod and Staff. :001_smile:

Just FYI, while tuition at EPGY does look really steep, they have very good (and easy) financial aid. When we first started last year, I filled out the application and also sent a pay stub... and we got an email that our tuition was set at 60% off. It's still a stretch, but is such a good fit for my oldest, we make it work.

I would buy entire Heart of Dakota packages directly from the author so as to benefit her the most instead of looking for used pieces here and there.

I would also do MFW-K cus the science looks like so much fun. Possibly MFW 1st cuz the Bible reader and notebook look like fun. But we would certainly do the HOD levels too!

I love HOD! DD loves HOD! What's not to love about HOD? Did all the HOD fans leave this board? Why has no one else mentioned HOD? :001_huh:

Writing - Classical Writing

Languages, Latin, Greek, Hebrew

Our young folk's josephus

science - all apologia's

Grammar of poetry

Teaching the classics

Sister wendy's story of painting

Great literature books

I know this is probably impossible, but I wish like there was a Latin-centered curriculum there was a Hebrew-centered curriculum (How curriculum would be the closest I think.

Just FYI, while tuition at EPGY does look really steep, they have very good (and easy) financial aid. When we first started last year, I filled out the application and also sent a pay stub... and we got an email that our tuition was set at 60% off. It's still a stretch, but is such a good fit for my oldest, we make it work.

There's no way we qualify, and it's really just on the off chance that it works for them. *g* RightStart plus Singapore works great for us, and there's a 90% chance that EPGY would be a total failure because of DS's CAPD. But if I had money to burn, it'd be cool to try.

I agree that it's encouraging that no one would hire-out a tutor. I may (okay, well, DEFINATELY) get a maid in that case, though!

And, for Susie - we will begin HOD with my littles as soon as it arrives in the mail. (I am purchasing it used, Little Hands level.) So, after a few more months, that may end up on our "dream curriculum" list as well! LOL

There are a ton of things I would get for science that we can't afford, mostly from AiG.

I have this mostly excited and slightly creepy feeling that when my ds starts homeschooling we will be able to use the complete SWB/JW books curriculum (history, writing, grammar, phonics) for grades 1-12.

R.E.A.L science will have their 1-12 curriculum complete, and so will Shiller Math.

I know, I'm a nerd. :blushing:

OKay, I'd love to find the perfect, money-is-no-object curriculum for my son for math. But, honestly, I don't know what that would be. All I can think of right now is that I'd love to be able to hire someone to take over that subject.

And, as he gets older, I'd appreciate being able to outsource science labs in a way that would still integrate well with what we are doing at home.

Other than that, though, I'm pretty happy with what we've got going or have planned:

- Home-designed history/literature study.

- Science has been sort of eclectic up until now, working pretty well. I'm really excited, though, about our plans for next year that have us coordinating science study with history.

- The Learnables for Spanish.

- Galore Park English Prep. (We're adding Classical Writing next year to try and get that aspect up to speed.)

- Starting Latin Prep next year, which looks like it will be right up my son's alley.

Right now, I'm wrapping up with one child--11th grade next year, and starting another--1st next year. Unlimited budget would mean college education at the school of their choice for my 19 yos (now in college) and the next oldest--debt free for them and us.

But for today, an unlimited budget in a perfect world would mean a maid, so I could spend more time with the kids and less doing laundry and dishes and cleaning the bathrooms, etc. Sigh. Man, that would be great.