Menu

If you had to pick 5 recipes for meals...

BMW

or 5 meal plans and wanted them to be the tastiest ones that you fix and could only have those 5, what ones would they be?

At this stage of the game, my 5 would be:

1. enchiladas

2. grilled tri-tip with asparagus and very fresh french bread

3. either beef or chicken strips with jasmine rice and stir fry (using lots of our fave veggies)

4. chicken tostadas

5. and a toss up between 7 layer dip if it was summer and cream of asparagus soup if it was winter...

1. Pioneer Woman's Penne a la Betsie. Shrimp in a creamy tomato sauce with penne.

2. Bulgogi. A sweet salty korean beef. we eat it with seaweed, rice, kimchee & other korean side dishes.

3. Fajitas w/grilled pork, peppers & onions. Side dish of refried beans.

4. Steak & baked potatoes.

5. Chicken & sundried tomatoes w/pasta.

Guest Alte Veste Academy

1) tacos (my desert island food) with all the fixings, must have guacamole

2) grilled steak and veggies (mushrooms, red onions, cherry tomatoes, bell peppers, zucchini, squash), roasted asparagus, green salad

3) Italian sausage orzo with ciabatta rolls

4) BBQ grilled chicken, corn on the cob, green salad

5) pot roast, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, green salad

Spaghetti

Jambalaya

BBQ beef on buns - edited to add that we always say bbq beef, but it's usually pork! either will work.

Steak and gravy over rice

Pork chops and gravy over rice

All served with a veggie and/or salad. Not necessarily our 5 faves, but if we had to do just 5 for a long time, I'd want to balance for variety.

*Grilled fish, probably wild salmon, a green veg, rice or quiona, salad.

*A pasta w/chopped cherry (or other) tomato sauce, spinach, salad, a little crusty bread. A liitle reg parm sprinkled over the sauce.

*Roasted or grilled chicken, w/roasted veggies, & probably zuccini or some kind of squash, depending on season, potatoes or rice-- a comfort starch. (I usually roast chicken in winter, so I wouldn't have lettuce, but if I was grilling it, I would do a large salad).

*Black bean burritos or taquitos, w/ avocado, cilantro etc. Rice. Or Black bean and butternut squash stew/chili.

* Some kind vegetable (bell peppers, swiss chard or bok choy, carrots etc) stir fry/curry. Coconut. Maybe with chicken.

Edited by LibraryLover

My kids top 5:

Roast beef with mashed potatoes, carrots, and green beans

Chicken Enchiladas

Steak, baked potatoes, salad

Grilled chicken marinated in Italian Dressing and topped with provolone, orzo pasta, veggie

Creamy Chicken - chicken breasts topped with Swiss cheese, cream/white wine/cr.of chicken soup poured on top. Topped with bread crumbs. Rice. Veggies

My top 5:

Pistou - an Italian vegetable soup

Greek Feta Chicken

Orzo Pasta Salad

Steak with grilled veggies, salad, whole wheat rolls

Cream of Onion soup - recipe from the cooking class I took 10 years ago

Guest Alte Veste Academy
*Grilled fish, probably wild salmon, a green veg, rice or quiona, salad.

Oh, yes! I must cross the pot roast off my list and substitute the cedar plank grilled salmon that DH recently started making. I would serve it with roasted fingerling potatoes and salad. :drool5:

OK, I really need 6 meals. I would call salad one generic meal and make a grilled steak and blue cheese spinach salad, a Greek salad, a Cobb salad, etc. on that night.

Cooking Light Italian Meat Loaf with Basil & Provolone

mashed potatoes or Pioneer Woman Crash Hot Potatoes

Pioneer Woman Green Beans

Maple Syrup Chicken

mashed sweet potatoes

roasted broccoli

Addictive Sweet Potato Burritos

Cherry Tomato Salad

Firecracker Grilled Alaska Salmon

Garlic Rice (without pork)

spring mix salad w/ Ginger Dressing (with modifications)

Paninis with roasted red peppers, prosciutto, and manchego cheese

veggie soup

For taste, right? So most of these aren't really my cheapest or easiest meals. :tongue_smilie:

1. Greek chicken pitas with homemade pitas (chicken, feta, cucumbers, tomatoes, and good tzatziki)

2. Spicy grilled shrimp kabobs and marinated steak with fresh-from-the-garden vegetables, and mashed potatoes to mop up the steak juices

3. Chicken n' dumplings with whole wheat buttermilk dumplings

4. Chili with lots of cheese (pepper jack for me, colby jack for everyone else) and tortilla chips

5. Roast chicken or turkey with cornbread dressing, garlicky green beans topped with fried shallots, mashed potatoes and gravy, spiced cranberry sauce, sweet potato casserole, and homemade sweet yeasty rolls (*drool* is it Thanksgiving yet?)

We mill our own wheat, and, y'all, most of what makes the pitas, dumplings, and rolls so amazing is that fresh whole wheat flavor. Just sayin'...

ETA: The only things on this list that I make regularly are the Chicken n' Dumplings and the Chili. We do a roast chicken with mashed potatoes and a vegetable pretty often, but the rest of the sides come out only for holidays.

Edited by cottonmama

My uncle's roast beef sandwiches--it's the #1 favorite meal of our family

Roast Beef or Prime Rib (Not a low fat/low soidum recipe by any means--we have it just several times a year for special occasions)

Beef roast 4 pounds or larger The roast should have some fat on it but not be fatty throughout. Rump roast and bottom round works best. Put the meat in a glass dish like a 13x9 pan.

Make a mixture of equal amounts (~1 tablespoons each for 3 pounds of meat) of salt, pepper, onion salt and celery salt. Rub all over the roast. (I use onion powder and cut back on the amount by about ¼ )

Dot with butter.

Cook in 375 degree oven for 1 ½ to 1 ¾ hours. DO NOT COVER!

After the cooking time is over, turn off the oven and don’t open the door. Leave in warm oven for about 3 hours to continue cooking.

About 45 minutes (longer for a roast beef) before you want to eat turn the oven on again. I usually cut back to 350 so the juices don’t burn.

Gravy: Transfer all the drippings and scrapings into a saucepan and bring to near boil. Add a few cups of water (maybe 3) because it should be concentrated.

Add water to flour and stir to make a smooth mixture.

Add flour mixture to the liquids gradually, stirring constantly. Heat until thickened. (Usually it’s fine but check to see if too salty and add a little more water and thickening if needed)

Add sour cream to hot gravy—maybe 1/ 2 cup.

Slice the beef and layer with gravy in a pan. Heat until gravy is bubbly.

Jamie Oliver's Chicken in Milk, served with buttered egg noodles

The changes I make to the recipe is to put the chicken in breast side down, and then I cover it with a lid the entire time. It makes the meat really tender

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/chicken-in-milk

Turkey with mashed potatoes and gravy, homemade rolls, and hot spiced fruit

Hot Spiced Fruit

Mix together

One 29 oz can pear slices, drained

One 29 oz can apricots, drained

One 29 oz can peach slices, drained

1/2 cup pecan halves, crumbled

¼ cup raisins

Pour in ½ small can (3 oz.) frozen orange juice concentrate, undiluted.

Sprinkle with

1/3 cup brown sugar (or to taste)

½ tsp cinnamon

¼ tsp nutmeg

¼ tsp cloves

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or heat in a crockpot until heated throughout.

Overnight Refrigerator Rolls (Betty Crocker)

http://community.tasteofhome.com/forums/t/141397.aspx

Homemade macaroni and cheese

Peanut butter and homemade strawberry jam on homemade whole wheat bread, served with "camping milk" (milk that's really, really cold because it's been in the ice water of our cooler).

Edited by Pippen
Add links/recipes

In order of how much I love them:

1. Asparagus lasagna - grilled asparagus in a goat cheese sauce. Heaven!

2. Chicken spagetti with broccoli cornbread

3. Zuchinni, bacon, gruyere quiche with fruit and "to die for sauce"

4. Fajitas - beef and chicken, peppers, onions, sour cream, cheese, guacamole

5. Steak with baked potatoes, fresh green beans and fresh bread.

Now - who wants to come cook at my house?

Oh dear, if we had our 5 favorites only, we'd be HUGE. LOL

Here is what my kids would pick:

1. Crockpot French Dip Sandwiches

2. Chicken Enchiladas with fresh pineapple for "dessert"

3. Chicken Club sandwich ring (the Pampered Chef recipe)

4. Grilled Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo on mini penne

5. Marinated Flank Steak, mashed potatoes AND roasted potatoes (yes, both, LOL) and green veggies/salad.

I think my whole family would agree on these:

1. Homemade tortilla soup. With fresh avocado, cilantro, and lime juice on top. Shredded monterey jack cheese mixed in. Dh likes to make it with chicken, I love it even without meat.

2. Bison steaks, fresh artichokes dipped in melted butter, garlic smashed red potatoes or baked potatoes with fresh chives, butter, and sour cream

3. Fresh wild salmon broiled with garlic cloves, fresh herbs, and tomatoes. Served with fresh asparagus, lightly blanched, with a dijon sauce. A nice crusty artisan bread with it. (Okay, this would be my pick, dh's pick, and 2 out of 4 kids' pick).

4. Moosewood fish cakes. So good.

5. Moosewood italian stuffed portabellos

We like to eat- it was hard to pick just 5.

Ok, I think there oughta be a rule that you gotta provide either recipes or links to the recipes (and THANKS to those that did)....I'd especially love to see the Bulgoki recipe (I've got one that is ok, but not as great as in the restaurant down the street, lol).....and the Greek Pitas.....and oh lots of others!

And as for me...I can't pick just 5.....we love so many it's hard to fit them all on the calendar and still do something new each week!

In order of how much I love them:

1. Asparagus lasagna - grilled asparagus in a goat cheese sauce. Heaven!

2. Chicken spagetti with broccoli cornbread

3. Zuchinni, bacon, gruyere quiche with fruit and "to die for sauce"

4. Fajitas - beef and chicken, peppers, onions, sour cream, cheese, guacamole

5. Steak with baked potatoes, fresh green beans and fresh bread.

Now - who wants to come cook at my house?

Wow, TXMom!

I literally said, "Ho. Lee. Mackeral," at Asparagus lasagna. Would you mind sharing this recipe. I'll be happy to. . . uh, make it and eat it, and be really happy and grateful to you :)

Wow, TXMom!

I literally said, "Ho. Lee. Mackeral," at Asparagus lasagna. Would you mind sharing this recipe. I'll be happy to. . . uh, make it and eat it, and be really happy and grateful to you :)

It is a food network recipe. I don't see it on there, but I'll get it typed up for you later. It is D.I.V.I.N.E.

ETA:

Asparagus Lasagna

2-3 lbs med. asparagus, trimmed

3 tbsp olive oil

salt

1/4 c. unsalted butter

1/4 c. flour

1 1/2 c. chicken broth

1/2 c. water, heated

7 oz. mild goat cheese

1 tsp lemon zest

no boil lasagna

1 2/3 c. grated parmesan

1 c. heavy cream

Cut off asparagus tips and set aside.

Cut remaining asparagus into 1/2 in. lengths. Toss with olive oil and salt, roast at 500^ about 5-10 min. Set aside and lower oven temp to 400.

In saucepan, melt butter, add flour and cook roux over mod. low heat for 3 min. stirring constantly. Add broth and water in a stream, whisking constantly. Simmer for 5 min. Add goat cheese, zest and salt, whisking til smooth.

Arrange pasta sheet in bottom of 9 x 13 pan, spread with 1/2 the sauce, top with 1/2 roasted asparagus, then parmesan cheese, repeat layers, ending with a sheet of pasta.

In a bowl, beat cream with a pinch of salt to soft peaks. Arrange reserved asparagus tips on pasta, spoon cream over pasta and asparagus tips, sprinkle with 1/3 c. parm. Bake in middle of oven for 30 min. until golden and bubbling. Let stand 10 min. before serving.

It's really an easy recipe, and like I said, absolutely heavenly.

Edited by TXMomof4

1. Enchiladas (chicken or beef), salad, rice

2. Sticky chicken (Asian-inspired) with broccoli, mushrooms, and peppers, served over jasmine rice

3. Jambalaya/dirty rice/red or black beans and rice/etc.

4. Baked macaroni and cheese (with some combination of protein and vegetable stirred in)

5. Breakfast for dinner (choose from any combination of: pancakes, waffles, french toast, sausage, bacon, some sort of eggs, biscuits and gravy, home fries, muffins, etc.)

So I guess I didn't choose 5 very specific meals, more like 5 meal skeletons to work from, which is what I do weekly, except I work from 6 skeletons. The other one is:

6. Meatballs (bbq or with marinara) and carb (whole grain pasta, rice, whole wheat rolls, etc), salad

I'd do the

Mac-n-Cheese from Pioneer Woman..

Chicken Divan... :) ours is tons of broccoli and a bit of chicken... with cheese then bread crumbs on top

Mexi stuff.... Chips and good salsa... with Tostadas, beans and rice... guacamole, and sour cream..

Pasta with sauce and mushrooms w/Fresh bread, fresh mozzarella, basil, olive oil, I could eat this forever!!

Rice with peanut sauce and chicken satay?? At least today that's what sounds good ;)

I already added 5, but I'm back with more. :D We did determine that these don't necessarily need to be healthy meals, right?

Chicken or Pork Souvlaki on Homemade Pita with lettuce, red onion, kalamata olives, tomatoes, and Tzatziki

Curried Rice Pilaf, Bean Soup with Kale, Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread

Lime Chicken or Shrimp Soft Tacos with lime sour cream sauce (just add lime juice to sour cream), Fruit Salsa w/ Cinnamon Chips, Brazilian Limeade

Dirty Rice made with ground turkey and loads of veggies (like 3x what the recipe calls for) so I can eat it as a complete meal!

frittata and Bruschetta

My dad's "fried meat" (chicken-fried round steak w/o the nasty gravy), mashed taters, chopped broccoli.

Fish tacos, french fries. Margarita (if it is greenish does it count as a veggie??)

Veal roast with oven-roasted taters, green beans.

Dad's marinated flank steak. Fresh corn on the cob...no, make that Grandma's corn OFF the cob (cooked in butter and milk!). More taters.

Green curry chicken in (light) coconut milk with lots of jasmine rice.

But I also want the dirty rice Leona would make and bring to the UCLA medical photo lab back in the mid-80's when I worked there... and the shrimp skewers from that small place, whatwasitnamed, in Newport Beach - Crab Cooker!!!

Edited by JFSinIL

I already added 5, but I'm back with more. :D We did determine that these don't necessarily need to be healthy meals, right?

Chicken or Pork Souvlaki on Homemade Pita with lettuce, red onion, kalamata olives, tomatoes, and Tzatziki

Curried Rice Pilaf, Bean Soup with Kale, Downeast Maine Pumpkin Bread

Lime Chicken or Shrimp Soft Tacos with lime sour cream sauce (just add lime juice to sour cream), Fruit Salsa w/ Cinnamon Chips, Brazilian Limeade

Dirty Rice made with ground turkey and loads of veggies (like 3x what the recipe calls for) so I can eat it as a complete meal!

frittata and Bruschetta

These look great... I had to bookmark. Thanks!

-Creamy potato soup with salad sandwiches (provolone and tons of fresh veggies with some sort of dressing on ciabatta)

-Homemade pizza with cut veggies and fruit

-Sloppy Joes (made with kidney beans), roasted red potatoes and green beans

-Grilled MahiMahi, wild rice and a big salad or steamed broccoli and cauliflower

-Roasted vegetables (eggplant, onion, peppers, zuchhini, etc) seasoned with Italian seasoning and Balsamic tossed with baby spinach and penne, topped with feta and olives, served with homemade garlic bread