Menu

There is a snake in my house

GWOB

Again. And my husband is at work. Until 6 tonight. I may die.

Do you have something you can cover him with? We had this happen about three weeks ago. I honestly just left the back door open and sorta herded him - at a very long distance - out the back door. I had a house full of bugs (it was dark) but the snake and I emerged unscathed. He was pretty smart and careful - watching for the cat the whole time as he slowly made his way out the back door. He was too long for me to cover up so I had to herd him out.

:grouphug: It's not a pleasant feeling.

I don't suppose you call "here, snakey, snakey, snakey" and it would come. :glare: We had one in our house a few months ago. Luckily it was confined to the sunroom. Apparently it had been in there all night with the dog.

Good luck, I would leave...or tear the house apart looking for it.

What kind? Because me, I'd just shoo it out unless it's poisonous, in which case I'd call animal control. Or, if it's a common species and not poisonous, I might capture/kill it for a biology lesson. Seeing the heart beating when it's been dead a while, general dissection, and tanning the hide...all things I did when my sisters killed a snake in a field near our house once when we were kids.

We had one not too long ago too - a really BIG bullsnake. My advice is to not take your eye off the sucker like we did - because he silently slipped away (to where is anybody's guess) when we weren't looking.

Haven't seen him since either...

This is what came to my mind when I read the other suggestions to leave for a field trip. NO WAY!!! I'd keep my eye on him just so I know exactly where he is. I had a copperhead in my garage (where my freezer and laundry area are). I made the mistake of screaming very loudly and slamming the door shut. When I opened it again he wasn't there ... or was he? Dss22 and 23 found him slithering around about a week later and disposed of him, but it was not fun fetching food from the freezer and doing laundry that week. Don't let him out of your sight. I'm a baby about these things, so I would have already called animal control by now.:D

roflol....

if its not poisonous, just pick it up and take it outside. it may bite, but they don't really hurt that much.

if it is poisonous, use a snake hook or a stick or a broom. (but if you're in australia or costa rica where there are realllly amazingly poisonous snakes, then i'd try to drop a rubbermaid bin over it and put a rock on the top until i called someone who knows more than me.)

and then i'd try to figure out how it got in and make sure it Never Happened Again.

let us know how it turns out,

ann

roflol....

if its not poisonous, just pick it up and take it outside. it may bite, but they don't really hurt that much.

if it is poisonous, use a snake hook or a stick or a broom. (but if you're in australia or costa rica where there are realllly amazingly poisonous snakes, then i'd try to drop a rubbermaid bin over it and put a rock on the top until i called someone who knows more than me.)

and then i'd try to figure out how it got in and make sure it Never Happened Again.

let us know how it turns out,

ann

It isn't poisonous. It's probably a baby rat or bull snake. HOWEVER, when a snake is INSIDE the house, its size is magnified by at least 1000. I don't touch snakes. I grew up in Louisiana, where 99% of snakes are poisonous. I. Don't. Do. Snakes.

It now has a pot over it. Now, thanks to the cats moving the pot, the tip of the tail is sticking out. I think it is field trip day.

Here's how I would handle the situation. Now keep in mind I'm a very rational mature person. First find a chair. Stand on it. Scream. Make little grossed out/scared hand gestures.

There you go. Glad I could be helpful.

We had one not too long ago too - a really BIG bullsnake. My advice is to not take your eye off the sucker like we did - because he silently slipped away (to where is anybody's guess) when we weren't looking.

Haven't seen him since either...

In this situation I'd follow the advise listed below:

My advice? SELL THE HOUSE. Just leave. Get out now.

Ugh. I hate snakes!!

Yes. I'd come help you pack but in this case it's probably best just to abandon everything and start fresh in your new home.

Here's how I would handle the situation. Now keep in mind I'm a very rational mature person. First find a chair. Stand on it. Scream. Make little grossed out/scared hand gestures.

There you go. Glad I could be helpful.

In this situation I'd follow the advise listed below:

Yes. I'd come help you pack but in this case it's probably best just to abandon everything and start fresh in your new home.

I can handle puke, poop, snot, mice, racoons, and many other things. I was a Sailor! I'm a tough girl. I still don't think my breathing has returned to normal. And it's only 10:57 here, so I cannot start drinking. I'm a mess! I hate snakes. I hate snakes. I HATE SNAKES!!!!

Do you have a tray or some cardboard you could slide under the pot while keeping the snake trapped? Then the whole contraption should slide easily towards a door and preferably outside where the snake belongs. If you're positive it's not venomous, then try to stay calm and just get it out of the house. If there's the remote chance it could be venomous, keep the kitty away from the pot to keep the snake contained and call animal control.

ETA: My cat brought two baby snakes inside (she had a cat door) once and deposited them on the bed where I was sleeping. They were still alive. She woke me up so I could reward her, I suppose. Instead I woke up quickly and stood full upright on the bed screaming my head off. I then called my dh and begged him to come home. He wouldn't (couldn't in his words, but I still say wouldn't), so I jumped off the bed, grabbed the broom and dustpan and scraped them back outside. Didn't really need coffee to wake myself up that morning.

Edited by kimmie38017

Do you have a tray or some cardboard you could slide under the pot while keeping the snake trapped? Then the whole contraption should slide easily towards a door and preferably outside where the snake belongs. If you're positive it's not venomous, then try to stay calm and just get it out of the house. If there's the remote chance it could be venomous, keep the kitty away from the pot to keep the snake contained and call animal control.

ETA: My cat brought two baby snakes inside (she had a cat door) once and deposited them on the bed where I was sleeping. They were still alive. She woke me up so I could reward her, I suppose. Instead I woke up quickly and stood full upright on the bed screaming my head off. I then called my dh and begged him to come home. He wouldn't (couldn't in his words, but I still say wouldn't), so I jumped off the bed, grabbed the broom and dustpan and scraped them back outside. Didn't really need coffee to wake myself up that morning.

Your post brought this blog post about a snake in the house by The Pioneer Woman to mind:

Grounds for Divorce

Your post brought this blog post about a snake in the house by The Pioneer Woman to mind:

Grounds for Divorce

:svengo: I don't know that I would ever speak to my dh again if he ever did that to me. Not after today. Not after the previous snake-falling-out-of-washing-machine incident and the evil-full-grown-rat-snake-about-to-attack-as-we-walk-in-the-house incident.

My mom just caught 8 ring necked snakes in two days a week or so ago. They were all attempting to enter her house. She places those sticky plate traps at the entrance to her downstairs doors in the spring and fall when she regularly has this problem and they work great for her. So if you have a a door that you think they may be entering through, and if they're not too large, perhaps these would work for you, too.....

If it is not poisonous, I will send over my boys to catch it for you. They actually keep a snake journal of all the snakes they catch. They stretch them out and measure how long they are, write-up what they look like, and make other special notes, like whether or not it was timid, aggressive, or friendly. If they remember, they also take a picture of it. We do not have any poisonous snakes where we live now, so snakes do not bother me anymore. The bat that has taken up residence in my wood stove is another story though.....

Krista

Okay, I don't know why I even started reading all of these posts, because I am totally freaked out, now!:scared:

We live out in the country, also, and we do see/find lots of snakes in the yard. Our sidewalk in front had a hole under it last year, and it seemed to be their "place". It's been taken care of, but having them that close to the front door made me nervous. Now, after reading everything here, I am going to keep my eyes peeled whenever I go out to the garage. I have enough problems with the mice & chipmunks, I cannot deal with the snakes!

BTW, anyone from WI have snakes in the house? I kept looking to see where you all live, and felt good about the fact that no one from WI posted.:D

If it's not poisonous, I would just pick it up and take it outside. Maybe use a broom if I needed to.

We used to get garter snakes coming in the back door of the house where I grew up. They liked to lie on the sidewalk outside the back door and sun themselves. My mom used to use a garden hoe to pick them up and put them back outside. My dad took a brick to one, once. I was NOT happy about that, poor snake. (Plus the mess, ugh.)

UPDATE PLEASE!

I found a mouse in my garage tonight and DH is off camping with the scout troop! Thankfully it is the garage......UGH!

Dawn

Maybe Wendi could send her snake over to eat your mouse? There! Problem solved. You can thank me by sending cookies.

Sorry. I should have updated this earlier. DH came home and removed the snake. The snake was still under the pot, though my cats had removed a small section of its tail. DH then proceeds to throw the snake to the chickens. The chickens ate the snake. I decided that I definitely do not enjoy farm life.

UPDATE PLEASE!

I found a mouse in my garage tonight and DH is off camping with the scout troop! Thankfully it is the garage......UGH!

Dawn

I will not send the snake to eat the mouse, though my cats would love a new little critter to play with. FWIW, when I first discoverd the snake, I was praying it was a mouse. I can't stand mice, but I can live with them. I just don't do snakes.

My cat brought two baby snakes inside (she had a cat door) once and deposited them on the bed where I was sleeping. They were still alive. She woke me up so I could reward her, I suppose. .

Ugh. This makes me glad my cat mostly brings me freshly killed socks and undies. :lol: