Menu

Fun thread - Halloween Costumes

Obviously, if you don't participate in Halloween activities, I don't expect you to participate in this thread.

So, what is everyone doing?

I found a ballerina style dress at TJ Maxx for Princess BB today. There were well over a dozen when I first saw them but the lines were so long to check out that I set the one I wanted aside (inside a rack of clothes). I was late picking Princess BB up from PT and couln't wait in the line any longer. When we arrived an hour later, only 2 were left and both were her size. The one I hid was gone. :001_huh: One had rainbow layers of tulle the other had pink tulle trimmed in leopard print ruffles. I went ahead and bought both (much to Dh's dismay :D). Princess wore one out of the store and the other I put back for Christmas. I like that the top is made from real leotard type material and not some thin nylon cheap stuff. It was the same price as the cheapo made outfit I had considered at WalMart last night. Next month I will buy the tights, shoes, and a plain t-shirt to wear beneath it if the weather is cold.

Ds wants to go as a tree. We plan on dressing him in his favorite deer hunting camo, paint his face,and put tree limbs and leaves on his head. I haven't figured out how we will get the limbs to stay on his head, but he is really excited.

I just finished reading the first Percy Jackson book last night so I'm trying to talk everyone into being a Greek god or godess. The girls would look so cute in togas! (So would DH! ;)) So far I'm not getting a lot of support for this idea so I'm going to get Percy Jackson as an audiobook for them to listen to next weekend - hopefully that will help everyone see how cool of an idea it is.

There's also been some discussion of a Glenda the Good Witch and Dorothy due.

I guess we're undecided but I love Halloween so I felt like I had to respond to this thread. Our Halloweens are cold here though so we have to go with something that will also be warm.

Going as a tree is a great idea. What a clever costume!

Ds wants to go as a tree. We plan on dressing him in his favorite deer hunting camo, paint his face,and put tree limbs and leaves on his head. I haven't figured out how we will get the limbs to stay on his head, but he is really excited.

I was a tree as a kindergartner (complete w/bird and nest!) I wore a real military combat helmet w/branches/leaves wired together and glued/wired on. Our Dollar Tree has toy ones that might suit your purposes.

My oldest is going to be a knight. Costco had a cute good-quality costume, complete with plastic sword (which sealed the deal for DS :D).

DD5 and DDalmost2 are going to be cats. I found cat ears and black crinoline skirts at Old Navy for them the other night. I'm going to add some sort of a long-sleeved t-shirt, black tights and shoes, paint some whiskers on their faces and call it good. The best part is that they can use the skirts for other things.

It's a tradition that I sew my DD's costume each year. She's been a ballerina princess, Belle, and Tinkerbelle. This year she's going to be a medieval princess. We actually just decided on this tonight and we're going fabric shopping tomorrow. :)

DS is going to be a boy riding a pony like this one.

Edited by Hill Country Classical Academy
should have been sleeping, not typing :)

Obviously, if you don't participate in Halloween activities, I don't expect you to participate in this thread.

So, what is everyone doing?

I found a ballerina style dress at TJ Maxx for Princess BB today. There were well over a dozen when I first saw them but the lines were so long to check out that I set the one I wanted aside (inside a rack of clothes). I was late picking Princess BB up from PT and couln't wait in the line any longer. When we arrived an hour later, only 2 were left and both were her size. The one I hid was gone. :001_huh: One had rainbow layers of tulle the other had pink tulle trimmed in leopard print ruffles. I went ahead and bought both (much to Dh's dismay :D). Princess wore one out of the store and the other I put back for Christmas. I like that the top is made from real leotard type material and not some thin nylon cheap stuff. It was the same price as the cheapo made outfit I had considered at WalMart last night. Next month I will buy the tights, shoes, and a plain t-shirt to wear beneath it if the weather is cold.

It's so cold already. Surely this will be another year where the costume options must consider what will fit over a parka. :lol:

DD3 is going to be a princess.....she is quite creative! Just like most other 3yos LOL.

DD11 will be 10 different things between now and then so I don't even bother asking her until the week before the big day. Last year she was a penguin. She usually comes up with something creative.....just at the very last minute. I am usually piecing together a costume for her on the afternoon of Halloween.

It's so cold already. Surely this will be another year where the costume options must consider what will fit over a parka. :lol:

A few suggestions for the cold weather climates:

Eskimo

Polar Bear

Snowman

Stay Puft Marshmellow Man (the parka underneath would be a plus)

It doesn't get that cold here though. Usually it's just cold enough for tights and a long sleeve shirt.

DD wants to be a powerpuff girl, specifically the one that has red hair and wears pink. So I need to find a sleeveless pink dress, to which I can add a black sash, a long red wig, white stockings, black mary jane's, and a great, big bow on her head.

All he wants to be is Darth Vader. :001_rolleyes: I tried to steer him towards being a Jedi, but NOOOOOOOOOO.

LOL. When my cousin was small her brother wanted to be a Jedi and thought she would make a great Princess Lea. How disappointed he was when she insisted on being 'Bobbys Feet' instead.

A few suggestions for the cold weather climates:

Eskimo

Polar Bear

Snowman

Stay Puft Marshmellow Man (the parka underneath would be a plus)

It doesn't get that cold here though. Usually it's just cold enough for tights and a long sleeve shirt.

Sumo wrestler

M&M

"Rotten Leftovers" Wrap yourself in tin foil (or a space blanket for added warmth), attach a large label with a Sharpied date that is quite old, and use temporary hair spray dye in green, moldy white, brown, etc. on your hair. Or substitute a warm beanie with felt chunks glued to it.

All he wants to be is Darth Vader. :001_rolleyes: I tried to steer him towards being a Jedi, but NOOOOOOOOOO.

LOL! Indy is going to be Han Solo. I'm beginning to think he just really likes Harrison Ford. He was Indiana Jones twice, and now he's going to be Han Solo. What other HF character could he be next year? An Amish man? The guy from Blade Runner? The fugitive? :lol:

DS (3yo) wants to go as a shark, or a fish. I'd love to do a homemade costume, but have NO IDEA how to go about making one. If I can't figure it out, we'll probably go with a Disney Nemo costume. The baby has a super cute ladybug costume that I bought at a garage sale awhile back.

My 9 yo wants to be a "mobster" in a black suit with a big cigar. One of our favorite parts of Halloween involves figuring out and making our own costumes so we've already started that process. My 13 yo still loves to dress up-last year he and his friend went as the Blues Brothers and they were hilarious. This year, he and two other kids want to go as the A-team. One of the other boys is African-American so would be Mr. T, but the only problem is that of the three, he is definitely the smallest. But I'm sure that won't deter them.

DD is going to be a cobra. We're using a brown leotard and tights from last year's dance recital as the base, added a stuffed nylon hose tail, and I made a snake face and hood that I've attached to a brown painter's cap.

I'd love it if, some year, she'd decide to do something, anything, where I'd at least have the option of going to target and buying a costume, but it hasn't happened yet-the two years prior to this were a blue darter dragonfly and the Loch Ness monster.

My dd needs costumes for her and her dog for the Eastern States Exposition (4H - Dog Club) They are going as Lois Lane and Superman. Picture a 9lb toy poodle as Superman with my 5'1" dd. We are hoping it will be creative enough for her to win. So, basically, I am free sewing a costume for a dog, who is actually good enough to tolerate the costume being frequently tried on...

My daughter has this fancy dress we bought at Cracker Barrel, I'm not sure exactly what to call it but it reminds me of an old fashioned lady of the castle kind of thing.

My son had a knight costume last year that he wants to use again this year. It still fits him, so he'll be a knight!

We love halloween!

We go to lots of different Halloween activities around our town prior to Halloween. And then we are always at Disney for Halloween week, so they wear costumes several times there. I usually let the kids choose two different things to be since we attend quite a few things. The only catch is that I only purchase one costume....the other has to be very simple and created from outfits/dress up trunk items that we already have at home.

DD3 says she wants to be Alice from Alice in Wonderland. And DD6 says she wants to be a hotdog. I haven't purchased either yet because sometimes they change their minds. I want to purchase them about a month out...I don't want to risk the stores being out of them. Although, I think I'll be ordering them online.

I found a beautiful witch costume for dd one clearance last year. I thought I'd find a hat to match when we go trick or treating. I showed her a picture and she loved it because it was purple and pink.

I have so many black capes and hooded robes with various masks so ds will pick one and be creative but he keeps talking about wanting to be a banana. That costume was $20 for a piece of foam material. I'm thinking on how to make it cheaper so any ideas are welcomed.

Last year my ds dressed as Santa Claus. He was so funny saying "Ho! Ho! Ho! Trick or Treat!" The girls dressed as a lady bug and a princess. I have no idea what they will be this year.

Ds dressed us as a Christmas Tree when he was about 13ish. It was pretty funny ... he had twinkle lights and an angle topper. LOL

Dd wants to be Jessie the Cowgirl from Toy Story and ds wants to be a dinosaur. Ironically, dh is always the hardest! He works in IT and everyone in his department takes great joy in elaborate costumes every year. He had a great one last year and is stressing me out this year coming up with crazy stuff. :glare: Right now he's thinking he wants to be one of the French knights from Monty Python Holy Grail so he can taunt people over his cubical wall and throw stuffed cows at them.

It changes daily between a few different things, but the most constant wishes are as follows:

LLL wants to be Ladybug Girl (from the cute book of the same name). Red leotard with some black dots appliqued on, a red or black tutu, black tights, wings.

PDG wants to be Rose Tyler in the TARDIS (from Doctor Who) - easy one. Hoodie sweatshirt, jeans, sneakers, too much black mascara and a blonde wig. I'm going to paint a moving box to look like the TARDIS, cut some arm holes and fix some shoulder straps.

The alternates I hear, though, are LLL as Tinkerbell and PDG as a mermaid or Felicity (from American Girl series)... Mermaids are always so complicated, but we could easily find a Felicity costume up at Mt. Vernon (2 miles from our house :))

Dd wants to be Jessie the Cowgirl from Toy Story and ds wants to be a dinosaur. Ironically, dh is always the hardest! He works in IT and everyone in his department takes great joy in elaborate costumes every year. He had a great one last year and is stressing me out this year coming up with crazy stuff. :glare: Right now he's thinking he wants to be one of the French knights from Monty Python Holy Grail so he can taunt people over his cubical wall and throw stuffed cows at them.

This is awesome! Will he be shaking his fist in their general direction? :lol::lol::lol:

DS (3yo) wants to go as a shark' date=' or a fish. I'd love to do a homemade costume, but have NO IDEA how to go about making one. If I can't figure it out, we'll probably go with a Disney Nemo costume. The baby has a super cute ladybug costume that I bought at a garage sale awhile back.[/quote']

This is easy! I did a production of The Little Mermaid (not the Disney version) and we had to make tons of fish. This is what we did. Get thin layers of styrofoam padding from a fabric or craft store (probably no more than 1/2-3/4" thick) and cut two fish shapes the same size (big enough to go around your ds). Paint them with spray paints. You can hand paint in eyes or use big googley eyes. Use foam adhesive to glue the front and back together and cut arm holes on either side. Get some gauzy fabric to match the color of the fish and attach them over the arm holes (you can glue or sew them on) and put elastic straps on them to go around ds's wrists (these are fins). Put him in blue pants and if you like, glue some gauzy blue fabric to the bottom of the fish body to represent water. Voila! One cutie pie little fish!

Last year my ds dressed as Santa Claus. He was so funny saying "Ho! Ho! Ho! Trick or Treat!"

Ds dressed us as a Christmas Tree when he was about 13ish. It was pretty funny ... he had twinkle lights and an angle topper. LOL

Love it.

One year we had the Easter Bunny and an Easter egg. They were so cute.

I love making costumes, but I think we're almost done with that stage.

My oldest is going to use his dinosaur costume again (unless he decides that he really, really wants something else).

My middle son is going to be a cat (same costume as last year). I have to pull it down and make sure it still fits though. If not, I guess I get to find him a Tom Arma costume I like from Ebay.

My lil one was a tree frog last year but I think he has totally outgrown it in length, so I'm scouring Ebay for a new Tom Arma costume for him. If his costume goes anything like last year, he's gonna end up with two (like my middle son did last year) and we will have to pick one or the other. Hmmm, yea I need to see what size the spider costume is we have. I think it's way too big for him though. Next year though, he'll be set and either be a spider or cat, unless he requests a specific costume or he doesn't grow much.

My SO played along last year and wore a black Spiderman costume. I'm not sure if he's gonna try that again this year or if we are going to find him something new.

For me, yea, no, I don't dress up. :tongue_smilie:

(For the curious people, this is the link to some of Tom Arma costumes. Ebay has people selling some of the older ones, which is why I like looking there.

http://www.halloweenexpress.com/tom-arma-costumes-c-353.html )

DS3.75 wants to be Superman, which is fine except I'd been planning to make him a nice cape for playing superhero/knight/king/wizard for his birthday in late November. So I need to decide whether to make it for Halloween or not. DS1 will hopefully fit into a bat costume his older brother wore. If not, then hopefully he's big enough for a lion or dragon costume in our closet. I have fabric to make a cape for our dog too, which DS3.75 has been bugging me about, so she can be Krypto I guess. :)

DD wants us to be wizards. Last year she was a pirate and I dressed up with her, so now she is just assuming I'll dress up again. :tongue_smilie:

Not sure where to find wizard costumes.... not even sure where she got the idea, I think the only wizards she knows are on Wizards of Waverly Place and in books (with no pictures!!)