Menu

Stupid, stupid, stupid question...can you cook ramen noodles in a coffee maker?

My college kid wants to know. :001_huh:

:lol: Gosh, I have no clue - never tried it - but perhaps someone will and tell you all about it! Does your son/daughter think that it could work because water gets heated and the noodles would soften? Would they put the noodles in the pot and filter hot water through? When does the seasoning packet come into play?

:lol:

Our family is voting yes but are worried about the taste of coffee. Ds is liking the idea of putting the seasoning in the filter part. lol Let us know.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'll admit that it's my old coffee maker that I have never used for coffee, only to make hot water for inferior hot cocoa that comes in those little packets. :tongue_smilie: I didn't want to send him with a new one that they'd likely break.

Just wondering, have they tried making a grilled cheese sandwich with a clothes iron?:lol:

Why don't they just buy the roman noodles in a cup. All you would need to do then is heat the water with the coffee pot and pour the hot water in the cup then let it sit. Much easier.:D

Just wondering, have they tried making a grilled cheese sandwich with a clothes iron?:lol:

Why don't they just buy the roman noodles in a cup. All you would need to do then is heat the water with the coffee pot and pour the hot water in the cup then let it sit. Much easier.:D

'Cause he hates the little freeze-dried veggies! :tongue_smilie:

You can do this with the noodle packages as well. Just put them in a bowl or plastic container, pour the hot water from the carafe over them and place a plate or some kind of cover over the top to trap the heat in. Let sit for about 2 minutes and the should be good. If they aren't soft enough yet, use a fork to separate them a little bit and let sit some more.

I used to live on ramen but didn't use the flavor packages (give me a headache - maybe MSG?) - I'd add a little butter and garlic powder. Yummy.

Yes, my Japanese roommate in college showed me how to cook ramans in a coffee pot. What we did was run the water thru first then add the noodles and let them cook on the hot plate until to our liking. Add the packet and eat. It was alot easier later when we started heating the water in the microwave though.

I am certain it is possible though I have never tried. Ramon noodles are cheap. It wouldn't hurt to do a couple of trials. A hot pot would be easier but I don't know if they still make them. It is amazing all the thing we made in hot pots, popcorn poppers and over candles.

They still make hot pots, but the ones I've looked at are pretty small capacity (4 cups). Ds wants to be able to share his hot chocolate/instant oatmeal/top ramen with his 3 roommates. The coffee maker capacity is 12 cups, and I already own an extra coffee maker that he can use. I had a hot pot years ago, and I really liked it.

I did it many a time. Put the noodles and spice packet in the pot. It works best if the noodles are broken up. Pour the water into the reservoir and brew.

Yep.

For mac & cheese, I'd put the macaroni in the carafe and pour the water in the reservoir. It would take a while, but eventually the macaroni would soften while sitting on the heat. I'd pour the water off, add the day-glo cheese, and eat. Sometimes I actually added half & half I nicked from the commons :D.

Desperate times. Desperate measures. :001_smile:

Years ago I saw an interview with some guy who wrote a book about all the things you could make in a coffee maker. I think he traveled a lot. I could never find the book, though.

Actually, I think I just saw it on Amazon. :D

It came up when I was Googling ramen noodles coffee maker, or some combination of words to that effect.

You can do this with the noodle packages as well. Just put them in a bowl or plastic container, pour the hot water from the carafe over them and place a plate or some kind of cover over the top to trap the heat in. Let sit for about 2 minutes and the should be good. If they aren't soft enough yet, use a fork to separate them a little bit and let sit some more.

I used to live on ramen but didn't use the flavor packages (give me a headache - maybe MSG?) - I'd add a little butter and garlic powder. Yummy.

I'd recommend that s/he heat the water in the coffee pot, put the noodles in a bowl, pour the water over the noodles and put a small plate over the bowl for a couple of minutes. That should do the trick.

:iagree: This is how we always make ramen noodles...no pan to wash! Put noodles and packet in a big mug, add hot water and let it sit a few minutes...we don't even bother with a cover. Just find the right mug that can fit the right amount of water and then you don't even need a measuring cup. This is also easy for multiple servings.