Menu

How MUCH milk does your family drink?

How much milk does your family use in a week?  

1. 1. How much milk does your family use in a week?

• None
    • 1 gallon or less
    • 2 gallons or less
    • 3 gallons or less
    • 4 gallons or less
    • 5 gallons or less
    • More than 5 gallons

How much milk do you go through in a week? This includes all uses and any type of milk from cow's milk to almond milk.

I'm setting up a poll.

We buy Organic Valley 2%, but only my youngest son drinks milk (and only a little). I use it for my own cereal and baking, etc. So we go through a quart (or less!) a week. I also have rice milk on hand for when I run out of regular milk.

We go through quite a bit of calcium fortified OJ, though.....

No way! LOL. I didn't think anyone (even the large families) would say more than 5 gallons. Okay, if you drink more than 5 gallons a week, can you give us a ballpark of how much you buy/use?

We raise our own (dairy goats), two of my children drink milk almost exclusively and I frequently cook with it. Daily consumption does vary widely but up to a gallon a day is not unusual.:)

Dh buys a bit of cows milk for his coffees because he doesn't like it with any other milk. I buy almond, rice or oat milk for baking sometimes.

The only one who drinks it straight is dd, and she only gets left overs, since we don't keep a fridge on to store them.

Rosie (how much is a gallon anyway? I have to go check google! 3.7L? Geez! That's a lot!)

Edited by Rosie_0801

Indy can't process milk (protein allergy), and won't drink rice milk anymore, so it's just James Bond and I who drink it. Normally we only use it for cereal, but apparently, much like when I was pregnant with Indy, I NEED calcium and am craving chocolate milk. We usually go through about 1/2 gallon a week, but yesterday I had to buy a gallon because I keep drinking it (with some chocolate sauce mixed in). We both have to have Lactaid, and it's $4.09 for a HALF gallon. I spent $8.18 on a gallon on milk yesterday! Ack! This could be an expensive pregnancy. Sigh.

No way! LOL. I didn't think anyone (even the large families) would say more than 5 gallons. Okay, if you drink more than 5 gallons a week, can you give us a ballpark of how much you buy/use?

:lol: When I opened the thread, I assumed the poll would be how many gallons do you drink a day? Our family of 6 goes through a gallon of milk and a gallon of water every day. Dh drinks coffee, but the rest of us get milk or water. Juice and lemonade are rare treats. Dh eats cereal every morning, but I usually make breakfast for the rest of us.

I don't buy organic. $3.50/gal x 7 gal/week x 4 weeks/month = :eek:

Wow, this poll was an eyeopener for me. It would never have occured to me that some families go through that many gallons of milk in a week. . . 10+ :blink:

I thought that going through 2-3 gallons a week for a family of 4 was a lot! Not anymore. I guess I understand the 5+ gal. a week if you live on a farm or get your own fresh milk daily. I've never had fresh milk but I am sure it tastes way better than store bought. Since I don't use much milk in cooking, use cream in my coffee, and my boys don't really like drinking milk except with their cereal and maybe a glass with dinner, I guess 2-3 gallons is about right, for us. :D

5 of us here--6 gallons a week. I stock up at BJ's every week because it's under $3 per gallon there. At Publix it's about $3.20 now (milk is more expensive in Florida than the midwest, I've found). I don't know how much organic is, but I know it would double my milk costs at least! We did buy OV chocolate milk when we were being very careful about ds's artificial flavors/colors consumption. It was yummy and he loved it, but at usually $4 a half gallon, I didn't love buying it.

We love milk and are big cereal eaters, too. We pretty much drink only milk or water, except for the youngest who has juice sometimes.

We drink 5 gallons or more. We are a family of 4: myself, dh, dd10, and ds15. We buy 5 gallons of raw milk a week (we sold our milk cow), and I also buy half & half and use it for coffee, alfredo sauce, etc.

We love milk! But on the other hand, I don't buy fruit juice, soft drinks, etc. Milk and water are what we drink, with the exception of my coffee and dh's tea in the A.M., and the occasional cup of herbal or fruit tea.

Dh buys a bit of cows milk for his coffees because he doesn't like it with any other milk. I buy almond, rice or oat milk for baking sometimes.

The only one who drinks it straight is dd, and she only gets left overs, since we don't keep a fridge on to store them.

Rosie (how much is a gallon anyway? I have to go check google! 3.7L? Geez! That's a lot!)

Are you saying you don't have a refrigerator, Rosie?

That would be veeerry interesting.:001_smile:

I had to go convert liters to gallons to be able to calculate this, lol. Milk sells in liters here!

We go through about a gallon a day - sometimes a little less, sometimes more. Cereal, drinking it straight, baking, and milkshakes a couple times a week all add up fast!

I'd love to switch to organic milk but even regular milk takes a big bite out of my grocery budget! :tongue_smilie:

I buy 7 half gallons a week, so about 3.5 gallons per week here. That's because I've had to slow my oldest son down. He's always been a big milk drinker. If I didn't keep him rationed he'd go through a gallon a day easy.

When he was a toddler and drinking whole milk, we'd buy 1% for dh and I and whole for him. He'd go through 3-4 gallons a week on his own.

Wow, I just did the conversion- 4.55 litres to a gallon. You gals drink a lot of milk!

We probably drink around 4, but sometimes 6 litres a week- which fits into your 2 gallons or less catagory.

I like to buy raw local milk but dh wont drink raw, so I buy normal for him, and sometimes pasteurised organic.

At $2 a litre for milk (or a bit under for bulk) we obviously pay a lot more than you guys do. My raw milk is $4 a litre! It may be cheaper on the east coast of Australia, though, since I guess we don't have heaps of dairy land here. Not sure.

You and I are paying close to the same amount for raw milk. There are parts of the US that must just have insanely cheap milk.

LOL. I'm amazed by the replies. I've learned so much more about why and how people consume milk. We just are not a milk family.

I think it must be because Dh and I were raised just drinking water at meals.

We drink water with all meals and hot tea 1x or 2x a day. Milk is an occasional milk and cookies type thing.

We put it on cereal (which we only eat occasionally) and we throw it out when the cereal is gone. None of us likes it well enough to eat it after it has had cereal in it. Blech.

Anyway, this has been a fun thread. Thanks everyone.

I just purchased a gallon of whole milk on Friday, I had purchase another today--didn't know that we were out yesterday.

Oldest ds just moved home and he seems to drink it like water. He is to purchase his own from now on. I can not afford to purchase milk like that.

We normally purchase around 4 gal a week--2 whole(dh and dd) and 2 skim(ds and I--I only use it for cereal which isn't often).

The dh has a bowl of cereal for breakfast every morning and ds (11) has a glass at dinner. The glass has recently grown from an 8oz. to a 16 oz. So we go through about a gallon and a half of 2 percent and I occasionally (maybe once a week) have cereal with almond or coconut milk (I'm lactose intolerant).

Edited by lisabelle
typo

I never had any idea how much a gallon was before, or that you have wet and dry gallons and they're different.

OK, so we go through between 3 and 4 gallons per week. We are a family of 5, but our youngest consumes very little cows milk (she still breastfeeds, so she only has the cows milk when it's cooked in something). We don't generally have milk as a drink in itself - we have 'trained' the children to have water as the main drink - so the amount is made up of milk on porridge/cereal, milk in cooking, milk in hot drinks (mostly me, that one) and sometimes we make milky drinks, eg banana milkshakes.

There are six of us in our family, and we drink 8 gallons of milk a week. Four boys, DH, and myself. Really, it is the only thing we drink, besides water. No juice, tea, anything - just lots of milk. Thank heavens for Costco, where I can get growth-hormone free milk for about $2.50 a gallon.

I am glad we are not the only ones! We are a family of 6. DH doesn't drink milk but I love it. 3 of our 4 children drink milk. The last child is allergic and drinks rice milk. I have to limit milk to cereal, cooking, and some with each meal, water in between. I can't afford for everyone to drink as much as they want!

Wow! I'm beginning to feel like we have a shameful habit here :)

There are from 6-9 of us (husband, me, 2 girls of 11 and 18, and 5 boys 8, 15, 20, 22, 24) home during the week and most of us really like milk. We go through about 2 gallons per day -- unless I buy cereal (which I rarely do!), then it's more. So I suppose we drink/use about 14-16 gallons a week. I wonder if we should cut down...