Menu

What's for dinner tonight?

Or supper, or whatever you call it over there. :)

Last night, we grilled some Italian sausage and sauteed some peppers and onions and had subs.

Tonight, I'm taking the leftover sausage, which is already cooked, and cutting it up and making a pot of spaghetti with sauce (jarred, I confess!) and having it with some broccoli on the side.

You? Maybe I'll get inspired for something for tomorrow night's dinner. :)

Indian curry night here. Not really cooking - just heating prepared stuff :001_smile:

Dh & ds are having chicken korma (I stir fry chicken breast cubes & add jarred sauce)

Dd & I are having vegetarian palak paneer from a boil in the bag pouch thingie. Wow - thanks to SpyCar for recommending those. They're saving me lots of $ over getting palak paneer take out.

I'll make basmati rice & heat up some nan bread.

+ salad.

Recipe, please!! :D

Sure! It's from Cook's Illustrated, but I've adjusted it somewhat as noted:

Serves 8. Published September 1, 1997.

The center of the quiche will be surprisingly soft when it comes out of the oven, but the filling will continue to set (and sink somewhat) as it cools. If the pie shell has been previously baked and cooled, place it in the preheating oven for about five minutes to warm it, taking care that it does not burn. Because ingredients in the variations that follow are bulkier, the amount of custard mixture has been reduced to prevent overflowing the crust.

INGREDIENTS

8 ounces bacon (about 8 slices) cut into 1/2-inch pieces

2 large eggs

2 large egg yolks

1 cup whole milk

1 cup heavy cream

1/2 teaspoon table salt

1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper

pinch fresh grated nutmeg

4 ounces Gruyère cheese , grated (1/2 cup) (I use a bit less)

1 9- inch partially baked pie shell (warm), baked until light golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes, see related recipe (I use any good pie crust recipe, and blind-bake it for about 8 minutes in a 375 oven)

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Fry bacon in skillet over medium heat until crisp and brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer with slotted spoon to paper towel–lined plate. Meanwhile, whisk all remaining ingredients except cheese in medium bowl.

2. Spread cheese and bacon evenly over bottom of warm pie shell and set shell on oven rack. Pour in custard mixture to 1/2-inch below crust rim. Bake until lightly golden brown and a knife blade inserted about one inch from the edge comes out clean, and center feels set but soft like gelatin, 32 to 35 minutes. Transfer quiche to rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Our priest is bringing pizza to have after Vespers. Thumbs up!

I hope this is taken the right way, but man, Orthodox churches have the coolest names for things. :D

Vespers sounds so much nicer than Wednesday night church service.

I hope this is taken the right way, but man, Orthodox churches have the coolest names for things. :D

:D Once I posted "Happy Feast of the Dormition of the Theotokos!" on my FB page, and someone posted, "Huh?"

Big huge hearty yummy pot of lentils here! And maybe some garlic toast to go along with it, if I'd ever get up from my desk to fix my poor, starving dd5 dinner, now that it's her bedtime.

The most important thing about dinner, however, is my ds, 3 months, has finally stopped screaming and has fallen asleep, which means I can have a double helping of peace and quiet! :D

The DC are having grilled cheese, green salad, and fruit salad. DH will probably have leftover roast pork/black beans/brown rice, plus some of the green salad and fruit salad, but he's not due home until after 11. I had....... a huge glass of chocolate milk and a bowl of cherries, and I feel quite full now.:D

We aren't Orthodox and we grew up calling Sunday and Wed. evening services Vespers.

Dawn

Rare roast beef, mashed taters, broccoli. Plus a red devil cake and a fudge batter pudding with ice cream. Last chance to fatten up skinny ds (5'7" and 100 lbs!) before he goes off to college.

I'd actually like to have what Amira is having! But no one else here would eat it!

We got to sit in the back of the newly restored chapel dugin Vespers last summer when visiting Aunt Mary Sister Thomas More at the Dominican Mother House in Nashville. Cool!

Edited by JFSinIL

I took a packet of McCormick's Honey BBQ chicken seasoning and mixed with honey to make a topping for boneless chicken breasts. Shoepeg corn, mashed potatoes with sour cream and cheddar cheese, and garlic bread finished it off. All carbs, I know, but my oldest was finally eating with us for a change and he craves carbs. I layered strawberries, whipped up cream, blueberries, and more cream for dessert..... Totally fattening meal, LOL, but they're some pretty skinny men folk....

We aren't Orthodox and we grew up calling Sunday and Wed. evening services Vespers.

Dawn

Vespers is evening prayer, so you can have it any night of the week. When I was in grad school, I used to sing vespers (Gregorian chant) every Sunday evening. Then we'd all have dinner together and drink a lot of wine (not me, specifically, since I don't have much tolerance--but, goodness, the group went through A LOT of wine). I really miss that now that I've moved.

Back to the topic at hand--I made a curried chicken salad with grapes and cashews, since I already had cooked chicken in the freezer. We had it on top of a green salad. Or, separately, as in the case of DH, who can't stand having different foods touch each other. Very nice for days when I don't want to turn on the stove.

A simple celebration to mark the end of what we in the PNW would call a heat wave. :tongue_smilie: Charcuterie and cheese plate: A bit of good salami, a small selection of cheeses and olives, some whole wheat rolls and butter. A beer for me.

And fudgesicles.

ETA: I forgot the berry course: blackberries, strawberries and blueberries.

Edited by nmoira

Leftover chicken, pasta, and pesto for DD. Chicken waldorf salad with lettuces, apples, grapes, goat cheese, and candied walnuts for grownups. Lots and lots of water.

I took a large casserole dish (3.5qt?), lightly sprayed with olive oil, tossed in about 5 diced potatoes, drizzled a bit of olive oil, put boneless chicken breasts on top of that, sprinkled with salt, pepper, a healthy bit of paprika, and added a bit of apple juice. Baked that for about one hour, turning chicken as needed. Served with broccoli.

Guest Cindie2dds
Sure! It's from Cook's Illustrated, but I've adjusted it somewhat as noted:

Serves 8. Published September 1, 1997.

The center of the quiche will be surprisingly soft when it comes out of the oven, but the filling will continue to set (and sink somewhat) as it cools. If the pie shell has been previously baked and cooled, place it in the preheating oven for about five minutes to warm it, taking care that it does not burn. Because ingredients in the variations that follow are bulkier, the amount of custard mixture has been reduced to prevent overflowing the crust.

INGREDIENTS

8 ounces bacon (about 8 slices) cut into 1/2-inch pieces

2 large eggs

2 large egg yolks

1 cup whole milk

1 cup heavy cream

1/2 teaspoon table salt

1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper

pinch fresh grated nutmeg

4 ounces Gruyère cheese , grated (1/2 cup) (I use a bit less)

1 9- inch partially baked pie shell (warm), baked until light golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes, see related recipe (I use any good pie crust recipe, and blind-bake it for about 8 minutes in a 375 oven)

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 375 degrees. Fry bacon in skillet over medium heat until crisp and brown, about 5 minutes. Transfer with slotted spoon to paper towel–lined plate. Meanwhile, whisk all remaining ingredients except cheese in medium bowl.

2. Spread cheese and bacon evenly over bottom of warm pie shell and set shell on oven rack. Pour in custard mixture to 1/2-inch below crust rim. Bake until lightly golden brown and a knife blade inserted about one inch from the edge comes out clean, and center feels set but soft like gelatin, 32 to 35 minutes. Transfer quiche to rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.

I made this! With a few modifications. ;)